Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

On 5/5/2022 at 3:49 PM, 'stache said:

Fuck them kids.

That should be his motto for the election.

He'll win by a landslide.

I would love to hear Abbott explain his Christian predicate for denying immigrant children an education. It would be fascinating.

On 5/5/2022 at 9:13 AM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I honestly hate our move the SEC. Texas had its own mythos with the west and the alamo and shit which allowed us to create an image that protected against the worst of the worst impulses of the south. Now we are mind melding with the rest of the garbage states of the union.  Texas of 20 years ago would not have done this -- we leave the confederacy bullshit to the alabamas of the world.  (in fact, texas had the only 'confederate' senator vote in favor of the civil rights acts). Now we are no different than them.

It’s funny in a tragic sort of way. Rubes such as Abbott, along with interlopers like Paxton and Patrick are the faces of Texas to the rest of the country and millions think we’re the most backwards, mean, ignorant and racist people on the planet. 
i have a colleague in New Jersey who knows I jog daily around the golf course in my neighborhood. After reading a news report about a middle aged black jogger being severely beaten by a young white kid in suburban Houston, he called imploring me to arm myself while running, because he thinks Texas is unsafe for black people.

While he is my buddy and I appreciate his concern, I had to remind him of my time working in New Jersey at our corporate headquarters. It was there that my long held suspicions were confirmed; when it comes to racism, there is down South AND up South. 
Sure, our elected politicians are smarmy, uncouth racist hillbillies, but Giuliani and Trump are from his neck of the woods and are by orders of magnitude, every bit as bad. On every conceivable level.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Satchel said:

It’s funny in a tragic sort of way. Rubes such as Abbott, along with interlopers like Paxton and Patrick are the faces of Texas to the rest of the country and millions think we’re the most backwards, mean, ignorant and racist people on the planet. 
i have a colleague in New Jersey who knows I jog daily around the golf course in my neighborhood. After reading a news report about a middle aged black jogger being severely beaten by a young white kid in suburban Houston, he called imploring me to arm myself while running, because he thinks Texas is unsafe for black people.

While he is my buddy and I appreciate his concern, I had to remind him of my time working in New Jersey at our corporate headquarters. It was there that my long held suspicions were confirmed; when it comes to racism, there is down South AND up South. 
Sure, our elected politicians are smarmy, uncouth racist hillbillies, but Giuliani and Trump are from his neck of the woods and are by orders of magnitude, every bit as bad. On every conceivable level.

Former co-worker and buddy of mine is from Philly, went to school at UNC and now works for UT. He told me a long time ago that Philly was every bit as racist (perhaps worse) as anything he ever encountered as a black guy living in DFW in the early '00s. Now, this conversation was held long before TFG came onto the political scene.

I have some experience in northern racism and yeah it’s pretty bad but in much more passive aggressive ways, more micro aggressions than macro aggressions. They’re less likely to show up to a school board meeting and cry about crt or question the Hispanic person’s immigration status, and much more staring down black people in the store and making passing comments about how the Spanish speaking family should learn English, but not to their faces like in the South. And important people are much more likely in the north to keep it amongst their inner circles and not express it as a point of pride like Abbott and his voters. It’s worse across the board since dotard took office and the overt racists starting winning elections but the more overt in the south is still noticeable, it’s just worse everywhere. My wife’s aunt and uncle in Connecticut are perfect examples. Always talking, never shut up, and half of it is gossip about minorities full of stereotypes and micro aggressions. I don’t think they even realize it, they’d faint if you ever called them racist and mention that their banker is black or that their lawyer has a black secretary. It’s a beating being around them for more than 5 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Satchel said:

Malcolm X said he preferred the Southerner to the Northerner because Southerners didn't hide their racism. Not exactly a point of pride for the South, but it fits what you say.

The Klan was big in some of the Union states and had/has a presence in just about every state. An article in Atlantic, I think, pointed out that militia groups largely started as Klan or some other white supremecist group before hiding their true purpose. I had no idea about their origins.

I'm glad you can jog in peace. Let's hope it stays that way, my friend.

You’d think in a state where 85,000+ have died from Covid that $1 billion could have actually been used to help make things less shitty during a pandemic. Nope! National Guard and trespassing arrests are what you got instead of testing and masks. 

• Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I have some experience in northern racism and yeah it’s pretty bad but in much more passive aggressive ways, more micro aggressions than macro aggressions. They’re less likely to show up to a school board meeting and cry about crt or question the Hispanic person’s immigration status, and much more staring down black people in the store and making passing comments about how the Spanish speaking family should learn English, but not to their faces like in the South. And important people are much more likely in the north to keep it amongst their inner circles and not express it as a point of pride like Abbott and his voters. It’s worse across the board since dotard took office and the overt racists starting winning elections but the more overt in the south is still noticeable, it’s just worse everywhere. My wife’s aunt and uncle in Connecticut are perfect examples. Always talking, never shut up, and half of it is gossip about minorities full of stereotypes and micro aggressions. I don’t think they even realize it, they’d faint if you ever called them racist and mention that their banker is black or that their lawyer has a black secretary. It’s a beating being around them for more than 5 minutes.

Also, in this vein of discussion, look how malign white people ridicule well-meaning (usually with great clumsiness) white people who really want to try to better understand the things they've gone through life not seeing. Look how swiftly the hate engine turned "woke" into a scornful epithet. 

In a rather deft move by such low lifes, the seething right has found a way to voice their racism by attacking white people! That's quite an achievement for the irony-deaf destroyers of the republic.

I'm not an Elvis Costello fan but he gets a lot of points for raising the question, what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Interesting, Neonmoon. While reading your post it occured to me that the same people who say a local snowstorm proves global warming doesn't exist speak as you describe about racism.

It's the difference between weather and climate. The climate is racism. The local weather is taking a welcome basket to the new black neighbors and not acting surprised they found a way to afford living in your neighborhood.

If Abbott were more dynamic, he'd be a bizarro FDR running for president. He puts such a genial face on wickedness.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

50 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

You’d think in a state where 85,000+ have died from Covid that $1 billion could have actually been used to help make things less shitty during a pandemic. Nope! National Guard and trespassing arrests are what you got instead of testing and masks. 

looks like there's ~85k families who have a class action suit waiting for them

I think the Texas Tribune made a really bad choice for an accompanying photo. The story of our concentration of soldiers on the border is one of despair, futility, and low morale. This picture indicates efficiency and purpose. It's an editorial fumble.

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I think the Texas Tribune made a really bad choice for an accompanying photo. The story of our concentration of soldiers on the border is one of despair, futility, and low morale. This picture indicates efficiency and purpose. It's an editorial fumble.

pics of dead guardsmen who committed suicide don't sell magazines

I honestly hate our move the SEC. Texas had its own mythos with the west and the alamo and shit which allowed us to create an image that protected against the worst of the worst impulses of the south. Now we are mind melding with the rest of the garbage states of the union.  Texas of 20 years ago would not have done this -- we leave the confederacy bullshit to the alabamas of the world.  (in fact, texas had the only 'confederate' senator vote in favor of the civil rights acts). Now we are no different than them.

You do know what the Texas Revolution was about, right? 
Any nostalgic feeling that Texas is different than the lowest common denominator on issues like this is naive and frankly bullshit.  Maybe there's a perception that we are better because we have 4 cities that are bigger than most any in the other southern states, but the lowest common denominator is the exact same racist asshole.

Yep yep. Despite our state's founding myths... it's was mainly a bunch failed slave owners that couldn't hack it elsewhere needing a second act or they thought it would be an easier place to start making money. Boy talk about how some things remain the same. 

it's those founding myths i'm referring to though. the 20-21th century reflections of our roots. we managed to create an image for ourselves distinct from the confederacy.  none of the other confederate states really have.  and it manifests itself in real consequences, imo.  lbj was real.  ralph yarborough (who i referred to in my first post) was real.  people like lloyd bentsen, gwb, and even as recent as joe straus that would go about their way promoting commerce while avoiding the white nationalism/retrograde/authoritarianism or whatever we want to call the far right's mood. we've generally been much less shitty than the states that have tried to out george wallace / strom thurmand each other for the last century and a half.  i think their ability to do what they did is because voters want their politicians to defend "us."  and "us" in Texas doesn't mean "the south will rise again."  it means those other myths.  and those myths don't have to be true. but they have to be what people perceive themselves as.

I meant to respond to this before, but we have never not been Alabama with oil money. The latter enabled funding of better infrastructure, education, etc. and created an economic gap. But culturally, all of that ethos bullshit is just what Texas tells itself to feel better.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/9/2022 at 9:27 PM, Jive Turkey said:

The next logical step here will be home schools either getting a tax cut or receiving a state stipend.

"We'll pay you to keep your kids home, school them however you like, and let them be fully indoctrinated with no outside thought. " Pretty easy to see where this is going. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

The next logical step here will be home schools either getting a tax cut or receiving a state stipend.

"We'll pay you to keep your kids home, school them however you like, and let them be fully indoctrinated with no outside thought. " Pretty easy to see where this is going. 

fewer kids being shot up in schools, so bonus, I suppose.

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

This has been getting some play on my local non-profit NPR affiliate radio station the last few days. Sounds like the state of Texas owes the feds roughly one billion dollars.

Goodbye one billion in federal highway or medicare or ____________ dollars. Thanks Obama!

14 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

This has been getting some play on my local non-profit NPR affiliate radio station the last few days. Sounds like the state of Texas owes the feds roughly one billion dollars.

Goodbye one billion in federal highway or medicare or ____________ dollars. Thanks Obama!

it'll somehow be biden's fault

Just now, StassneyHorn said:

2 million more voters in Texas now than 4 years ago when Beto first ran and lost by 215k.

How many of those were disenfranchised during the last legislative session?

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

And the state trooper presence was just enormous. Those guys have nothing else to do around the capitol area. 

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

He treats DPS like his private police force.

Wasn't there a news blurb that DPS was one of the agencies Abbott pulled money from in order to fund this border wall escapade ? I thought I saw HHS was one as well. Fuck them kids sleeping in offices because there is no placement for them, right Abbott?

2 million more voters in Texas now than 4 years ago when Beto first ran and lost by 215k.

So, for one, he lost to Ted Cruz by 215k. Abbott ran 5 percentage points and ~400k votes ahead of Cruz in a very Democratic year.

2018 Beto-Abbott voters are ~5% of the electorate and I’d bet money on them breaking for Abbott at 60% or better.

Second, Beto would have to win~56% of new voters to even close that 215k vote gap, assuming everyone else sticks with him. Based on what we know about transplants and the national political environment, probably not happening.
  • Hook 'Em 1

So curious about what happens to Friday night lights if things move to charter schools and home schooling?   

Small communities like mine live and die on their local high school sports teams.   Seems this could be a big stumbling block for killing or at least maiming the public schools.     

12 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Small communities like mine live and die on their local high school sports teams.   Seems this could be a big stumbling block for killing or at least maiming the public schools.     

You're assuming that Republicans in Texas give a shit about small towns, high school sports, etc.

Those small towns, high schools, etc., are not giving "campaign contributions" like the private/charter/etc. schools/companies are.

• Hook 'Em 1

So curious about what happens to Friday night lights if things move to charter schools and home schooling?   

Nothing. There aren’t and won’t be viable alternatives to public schools in rural areas. There may be some that choose to home school, but that’s about it. And those kids will be allowed to play football.

This will impact big urban/suburban districts, and you know what it’s about.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Nothing. There aren’t and won’t be viable alternatives to public schools in rural areas. There may be some that choose to home school, but that’s about it. And those kids will be allowed to play football.

This will impact big urban/suburban districts, and you know what it’s about.

It certainly won’t impact recapture, and the billions will go to shit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

You're assuming that Republicans in Texas give a shit about small towns, high school sports, etc.

Those small towns, high schools, etc., are not giving "campaign contributions" like the private/charter/etc. schools/companies are.

But, but, but… ReAL TxEas FAMlee VALUZ!!!!!!

46 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I'd assume they'd just pass new legislation allowing for home school kids to play for whatever school they'd have ordinarily attended had their parents not been massive fucking bozos

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

I'd assume they'd just pass new legislation allowing for home school kids to play for whatever school they'd have ordinarily attended had their parents not been massive fucking bozos

And when the parents find out about the massive amount of time required to play sports like football, they will demand that their kids will be bussed back and forth, and then they'll demand that they be tutored, be fed, and......you get the picture.

Are the current private schools competing under UIL?  Or do they have their own organization?   Just thinking if UIL loses enough schools in the metropolitan areas, they lose that money and UIL becomes worse for the underfunding too.  

I know most people think the rural vote isn't worth the effort, but the Texas GOP is sure doing a lot to lock it down.  Mainly because they know they are losing the urban battle.  

Seems there could be a way to expose them for the hypocrites they are concerning rural if someone could lucidly show a path they have been on for so long and are continuing to follow concerning education and vouchering.  

And yes they fuck with the small schools, they fuck with their athletics and that fucks with the communities' pride.    I guess they've fucked with pretty much all the other aspects of small communities.  Selling votes for Trump flags.

Or maybe over time they just normalize people to shittier situations.   We'll replace football with MadMax type jousting tourneys with 20 year old 4WD duallies rolling smoke on country roads.  

Are the current private schools competing under UIL?  Or do they have their own organization?   Just thinking if UIL loses enough schools in the metropolitan areas, they lose that money and UIL becomes worse for the underfunding too.  
I know most people think the rural vote isn't worth the effort, but the Texas GOP is sure doing a lot to lock it down.  Mainly because they know they are losing the urban battle.  
Seems there could be a way to expose them for the hypocrites they are concerning rural if someone could lucidly show a path they have been on for so long and are continuing to follow concerning education and vouchering.  
And yes they fuck with the small schools, they fuck with their athletics and that fucks with the communities' pride.    I guess they've fucked with pretty much all the other aspects of small communities.  Selling votes for Trump flags.
Or maybe over time they just normalize people to shittier situations.   We'll replace football with MadMax type jousting tourneys with 20 year old 4WD duallies rolling smoke on country roads.  

https://tapps.biz/about-tapps/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

lol... going private would just allow them to build their multi-millions dollar football stadiums that much easier... like the public schools football centers do.

If I was running against Abbott I would focus like a laser on the shitty Foster care system that Abbott is responsible for.  I mean the guy wants MORE unwanted kids and they system he has personally implemented is horrific.  Basically Abbott's foster care system is quite frankly indefensible.

I also point out that rather than Punish profiteers from the snowpocolype, abbott and companay instead decided to push all the purden onto the Texas taxpayer and not FIX the grid.  

Abbott actually love to point out that in both instances Governor Abbott simply can't find the money to help fix these problems.  I would also then point out that he can destroy the lives of Texas National Guardsmen, and find half billion for photo op border enforcement.  Why Doesn't Greg Abbott care about the unwanted children he professes to care so much for?  Why doesn't he take care of the children in his charge rather than put them in positions to get molested because of his lack of caring for these actual children?  If Abbott is not responsible who is? Rick Perry? The only constant is the Republicans simply do not care about the children in their care.  They just Do NOT Care!

No money for the Children in his care... just molestations and excuses.  Just molestation and excuses!!!

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, horn4life said:

If I was running against Abbott I would focus like a laser on the shitty Foster care system that Abbott is responsible for.  I mean the guy wants MORE unwanted kids and they system he has personally implemented is horrific.  Basically Abbott's foster care system is quite frankly indefensible.

I also point out that rather than Punish profiteers from the snowpocolype, abbott and companay instead decided to push all the purden onto the Texas taxpayer and not FIX the grid.  

Abbott actually love to point out that in both instances Governor Abbott simply can't find the money to help fix these problems.  I would also then point out that he can destroy the lives of Texas National Guardsmen, and find half billion for photo op border enforcement.  Why Doesn't Greg Abbott care about the unwanted children he professes to care so much for?  Why doesn't he take care of the children in his charge rather than put them in positions to get molested because of his lack of caring for these actual children?  If Abbott is not responsible who is? Rick Perry? The only constant is the Republicans simply do not care about the children in their care.  They just Do NOT Care!

No money for the Children in his care... just molestations and excuses.  Just molestation and excuses!!!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Don’t forget he also stole $1B of your property taxes earmarked for schools and used it to balance the general fund. That should be an ad by itself.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Don’t forget he also stole $1B of your property taxes earmarked for schools and used it to balance the general fund. That should be an ad by itself.

Perry did the same thing. Republicans own every bad thing going on in Texas.