Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

50 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Neither party has a record to be proud of, but only one ended title 42. Woof. 

What a fucking “you are right, I have no retort. So I’ll shit on thread instead” reply. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

What a fucking “you are right, I have no retort. So I’ll shit on thread instead” reply. 

He is right. Republicans have fucked us over on this topic as well. It’s just that the Dems outdid themselves with Title 42. They still haven’t figured out that Latinos want a strong border as well. Oh well, our gain I guess. 

• Fuck You 1

the lack of real progress on the border is also pretty mind blowing. I don't know anyone who doesn't want a strong border.  the question is how and destroying habitat with a wall in the middle of inhospitable desert isn't really a great idea.  more agents, more technology sure. I think everyone agrees. I also think anyone with half a functioning brain that isn't infected by hypocritical BS agrees we need a work force from Mexico to do a lot of our work and we might prefer they not be residents or citizens but invited workers. I think most with half a brain and an ounce of compassion think kids who came over with no fault of their own but have been here 10+ years and more than half their life should be allowed to stay.  what the fuck is wrong with people?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

He is right. Republicans have fucked us over on this topic as well. It’s just that the Dems outdid themselves with Title 42. They still haven’t figured out that Latinos want a strong border as well. Oh well, our gain I guess. 

And the Dems are to blame for 30 years of bad border policy in Texas, right?

• Like 1

More of a Texas politics topic, but CNN will be doing a big ass series on Texas. Out going state senator Kel Seliger could be emptying the chamber on his way out after they turn his his ag heavy district into a oil/gas district

Texas state Sen. Kel Seliger, a Republican willing to buck his party leadership, will not seek reelection

Seliger has served in the Senate since 2005 and led the higher education committee. He was seen as a champion of public education and local control but was derided as too soft on social conservative issues near the end of his tenure.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/10/20/texas-senate-ken-seliger/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 9:50 PM, StassneyHorn said:

More of a Texas politics topic, but CNN will be doing a big ass series on Texas. Out going state senator Kel Seliger could be emptying the chamber on his way out after they turn his his ag heavy district into a oil/gas district

Texas state Sen. Kel Seliger, a Republican willing to buck his party leadership, will not seek reelection

Seliger has served in the Senate since 2005 and led the higher education committee. He was seen as a champion of public education and local control but was derided as too soft on social conservative issues near the end of his tenure.

@fattyflattie and @Porterhouse be like

doesnt-look-like-anything-to-me-westworl

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Lord. Could you imagine if someone today came out with the idea that Perry espoused in 2001?  The right and Fox News would be HOWLING about the end times. 

Even the guest worker program that Bush/McCain/Perry (and Teddy Kennedy) were pushing back in 2006 or 2007 would make them shit their pants, even though Bush/Perry/McCain/etc, were doing it because the BMDs wanted it.

If anybody wants to read the whole thing:

https://lrl.texas.gov/scanned/govdocs/Rick Perry/2001/speech082201.pdf

The opening and closing paragraphs were amazing:

Thank you Senator Lucio. President Nevarez, UT-Pan American is to be commended for its vision and leadership in hosting this unprecedented border summit in the beautiful Texas town of Edinburg. My friends from Mexico, including Governor Tomas Yarrington Ruvalcaba of Tamaulipas, and Governor Fernando Canales Clariond of Nuevo Leon, it is an honor to be in your presence. I want to extend my gratitude to our Mexican neighbors for hosting me this July as I sought to learn one of the world’s great languages, Spanish. I enjoyed your hospitality, and was grateful for your patience as I worked on my vocabulary. No longer do I refer to “la verdad” as “la verdura.” I am delighted to see friends from the U.S. side of the border as well, including our distinguished members of the Legislature, and our county and city leaders along the border

Today we begin a new dialogue about our shared future, a future of promising potential if we work together to solve the challenges we both face. It is fitting that we convene this summit where the great, meandering river known as the Rio Grande – or the Rio Bravo – forms the long border between Texas and Mexico. In years past, that famed body of water has been seen by many as a dividing point, If you were to walk along its banks and look to the other side, based on the stereotypes of the past, you would think you were seeing things a million miles away, instead of a stone’s throw away. But I am here today to say that while we have honest differences, there is more that unites us than divides us. The Rio Grande does not separate two nations, it joins two peoples. Mexico and the United States have a shared history, and a common future. And it is along this border where we will either fail or succeed in addressing the education, health care and transportation needs of our two peoples.
. . . . .

President Fox’s vision for an open border is a vision I embrace, as long as we demonstrate the will to address the obstacles to it. An open border means poverty has given way to opportunity, and Mexico’s citizens do not feel compelled to cross the border to find that opportunity. It means we have addressed pollution concerns, made substantial progress in stopping the spread of disease, and rid our crossings of illicit drug smuggling activity. Clearly we have a long way to go in addressing those issues. At the same time we must continue to deepen our economic ties, expanding opportunities for Mexican and U.S. companies to do business on both sides of the border. The outlook is promising, even if the road to prosperity is a long one. We share a bond as neighbors, and we find our culture north of the Rio Grande to be increasingly defined by the strong traits of people of Hispanic descent. Texas has long enjoyed a unique identity, an identity forged by an independent spirit, and the convergence of many different peoples. We must welcome change in the 21st Century as we have in every century before it.

Today, as we look to the south, we see a rising sun. It is perched above a people whose best days are in front of them. Let us endeavor to make the most of this new day through a new dialogue. Let us work together to combat disease, expand trade and provide educational opportunities. If we do, there are no limits to what we can accomplish for the betterment of all of our citizens. Thank you, and God bless you.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/20/2022 at 2:00 PM, troph said:

the lack of real progress on the border is also pretty mind blowing. I don't know anyone who doesn't want a strong border.  the question is how and destroying habitat with a wall in the middle of inhospitable desert isn't really a great idea.  more agents, more technology sure. I think everyone agrees. I also think anyone with half a functioning brain that isn't infected by hypocritical BS agrees we need a work force from Mexico to do a lot of our work and we might prefer they not be residents or citizens but invited workers. I think most with half a brain and an ounce of compassion think kids who came over with no fault of their own but have been here 10+ years and more than half their life should be allowed to stay.  what the fuck is wrong with people?

Dey terk err jerbs!! Hurr duurr replacin white God fearing good folk.... ms13.. derp

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Dey terk err jerbs!! Hurr duurr replacin white God fearing good folk.... ms13.. derp

3 hours ago, tigol said:

Pretty much.

Gotta admit, until Trump came along, I didn’t realize so many white baby boomers were mowing lawns and renovating or building homes, and were losing their jobs to Mexicans.

I’m mainly familiar with Austin, Montgomery County, and Fort Bend County, so perhaps I’m biased, but I see plenty of new builds, large renovations, and plenty of folks paying somebody to do their lawn, and I’m just not seeing many old white people putting on a new roof or pushing a mower for somebody else, but it must be happening somewhere in America.  

south-park-they-took-our-jobs-gif-9.gif

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Gotta admit, until Trump came along, I didn’t realize so many white baby boomers were mowing lawns and renovating or building homes, and were losing their jobs to Mexicans.

There is still work out there.  Periodically, I pick up roofing jobs for extra cash.  Every once in a while the boss buys us a six-er of Meelers Lite to split after our shift.  Those are the best days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess the upcoming legislative session is make or break time for Texas. You know Hot Wheels is gonna push all his chips in. It’s his last chance to get on the radar for the GQP primaries and has to go as fucking evil as possible to make a name for himself. I fully expect women, LGBTs, schools, minorities, and voters to be totally fucked next year.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I guess the upcoming legislative session is make or break time for Texas. You know Hot Wheels is gonna push all his chips in. It’s his last chance to get on the radar for the GQP primaries and has to go as fucking evil as possible to make a name for himself. I fully expect women, LGBTs, schools, minorities, and voters to be totally fucked next year.

I have a sense those groups will be the ones doing the fucking. 

List of persons super screwed :

1. LGBT, walking dead 

2. DACA

3. kids of people with no citizenship status 

4. all unmarried females, good luck leaving the state without being accused of abortion

5. any person / company / medical personnel attempting to support or help with women’s rights 

6. Higher education, liberal scum (except Aggie) 

7. K-12 education, woke teachers / isd’s 

8. the media, per Ted Cruz this is the biggest danger in America !  

9. minority voters, have to get rid of huge blocks for the R’s to stay in power 

Edited by tx 3 putt

9 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

He's also going to push for a law requiring that all BBQ must be eaten with sauce.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I've gotten to know Ed Lavandera over the years since he's in the 12-person college football pool that I run every year. Great guy.

20 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The border is a fund raising tool, nothing more 

Just like abortion and anything else that skeers white people

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Toeing the line maybe?

No, toying with. As in personally, I think TX is doing fine, but can recognize that some of my message board neighbors are worried. Only 3 commented though, so I guess [s] is still needed, or a stronger commitment on my part. 

• Fuck You 2