Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

11 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Plus, blaming me for believing my own eyes and ears for the last 50 years is some major bullshit, man.  I'm not a battered spouse, victim blaming is not going to work on me.  Also, it's just not a good look.

I am not blaming you for anything, however, as I have already said, it is lazy to associate an actual Christian with these people in 2022 in the same way that people associated those of the Islamic faith with the 9/11 terrorists. I work with Muslims that are no different from me. They are branded as terrorists by a not insignificant portion of this country which is ridiculous. The kindest person I have ever worked with was a devout Muslim from Gambia. I asked him one time how he was able to always stay so happy no matter what was going on and he said “God is too good to me to not be happy.” Does that guy get the billing for his faith in this country? No we get to hear about terror-loving jihadists who hate the US. 

I also keep the tenet, as best that I can, of judge not lest ye be judged. I do not have the energy to deal with these people fraudulently speaking in God’s name. I also do not expect actual peace-loving Muslims to stand up and have to waste time and energy defending their faith and how it has been perverted by terrorists. 

The best point I guess I can make is you do not overcome bigotry and hatred by shouting it down and getting in the mud with it. You overcome it by what you do and how you conduct yourself. Attempting to control millions of hateful people is a fool’s errand that will do little to change things for the better.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

You all probably already know this, but the bus stunts are playing very very well with a lot of voters in Texas. 

Republicans: "Human trafficking is huge problem!!!"

Also Republicans: "Let's ship busses full of undocumented people with no money and no place to go to other states where they can be taken advantage of to own the libs!" 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

This might be a stupid question, but is there any Federal statute prohibiting Texas from building its own wall to stop these marauding hordes?

I think I recall Abbott trying to divert funds from mental health programs to a border wall, but I try to purge that shit from my memory banks as soon as possible.  I mean, the Republicans have held the governor's office in Texas since 1995, you'd think they'd have solved the "problem" by now.

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Abbott has agreed to one debate on September 30. A fucking Friday 

46 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

during hs football season

Taking a play out of Rick Fuckin' Perry's playbook.

Only Perry didn't have to deal with social media on the scale that Abbot does.

Bill Murray Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Either way, don't you dare for another second pretend to understand why I have come to the conclusions I've come to and assign a lack of intellectual curiosity, laziness, or whatever else you are thinking.  

When you decide to have anger and hatred for the people you do not like you are then no different from them. All that hate just burns you up. 

When you apply a one size fits all label to people, even though there is ample evidence that that construct is not entirely true, that would be lazy. You are painting with a broad brush. It is the same thing people who hate Muslims or people who are gay or really any group of people throughout history have done. That “Christian” that hates you for who you are is no more a Christian than I am the shortstop for the Yankees. I have my own issues with “Christians”, but I learned that the anger and hatred is just not worth it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Abbott has agreed to one debate on September 30. A fucking Friday 

I wonder if he'll go through with the town hall type debate offered.  Also where will be interesting.  Beto has been sharpening his debating skills at these type events for 21 days now, with 28 to go.  We went to the one in Rockdale, Milam County on Friday night.  The hall was packed and there were probably 100 protestors outside, many open carrying pistols and several ARs.  Lots of Abbott signs.  During the Q&A several MAGAs came in and tried to agitate by asking questions like "Why are you taking our guns" and "Beeto, (some gibberish about freezing windmills)." 

I would imagine by the time of any debate Beto will have heard just about all the dumb sound bite questions and will have honed a good response.

Houston — Beto for Texas campaign spokesperson Chris Evans released the following statement today after Beto invited Greg Abbott to three town hall-style debates this fall:

"We look forward to attending a forum hosted by Nexstar Media Group in the Rio Grande Valley at a mutually agreed upon date and time, but one debate in one community for the entire state of Texas is not nearly enough. The people of Texas deserve better. That’s why Beto invites Governor Abbott to participate in three town hall-style debates in every region of the state during weeknights this fall where they can take questions directly from their fellow Texans.

“While Beto has held 80 town hall meetings where he has answered over 500 questions from Texans from any political party in every part of the state, Abbott has not held public town halls where he takes questions in person from those he is supposed to serve. That helps to explain why his extreme policies are so out of touch with the overwhelming majority of Texans.

“When the governor doesn’t bother to show up, listen to the concerns of Texans, and learn from their communities, we get his indefensible record: property taxes up 40% since he took office, an average increase of $45 on our monthly energy bills following his deadly power grid failure, the nation’s most extreme abortion ban with no exception for rape or incest, his proposal to further defund public education at a time when Texas already ranks 41st in the nation for per-student spending, his refusal to expand Medicaid in the least insured state where we are last in access to mental health care, a minimum wage that has not budged a penny in 13 years as four out of 10 working Texans don’t make a living wage, his attacks on teachers who are are already underpaid and under-resourced, and his total inaction on bipartisan, commonsense measures to protect our children after six major mass shootings took place on his watch.

“While the Abbott team previously said the governor would only debate “if it’s a competitive race,” we have watched his lead plummet by 10 points since Beto announced his candidacy. At the same time, Abbott’s approval rating has dropped, his unfavorability is at a historic high, and a record-breaking 59% of Texans now say that the state is heading in the wrong direction under his failed leadership. We look forward to holding him accountable for his indefensible record at these forums this fall.”

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

When you decide to have anger and hatred for the people you do not like you are then no different from them. All that hate just burns you up. 

When you apply a one size fits all label to people, even though there is ample evidence that that construct is not entirely true, that would be lazy. You are painting with a broad brush. It is the same thing people who hate Muslims or people who are gay or really any group of people throughout history have done. That “Christian” that hates you for who you are is no more a Christian than I am the shortstop for the Yankees. I have my own issues with “Christians”, but I learned that the anger and hatred is just not worth it. 

Okay, cool. Hook 'em 

Edited by trauma babe
More appropriate
  • Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

You have no idea how condescending you sound. YOU have issues with Christians but learned it’s just not worth it? Tell me what those Christians want to do to you. Let me fast forward to the end, the question for NAIU, me and other women of all types - it’s our lives at stake we don’t get to say it’s just not worth it. 

so they aren’t real Christians ok, well of the 100m or so who claim to be Christian - a significant and overwhelming majority of them voted for Trump. And you do know what he and his VP, a Christian, Mike Pence did to us, don’t you. 

you can win, but I ask you - what do we get for acknowledging you are different? Nothing I get nothing. But I am glad you get what you want out of this interchange. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Good god dude just stop 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Dude, it’s a fucking message board. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I would imagine by the time of any debate Beto will have heard just about all the dumb sound bite questions and will have honed a good response.

And those are exactly the kinds of things that Abbott will be throwing out there, because Abbott will conveniently forget his UT and Vanderbilt schooling and will be channeling Cletus.

• Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

That's why St. James Episcopal Church in Austin is so great. About 50 percent old dead white guy hymns and 50 percent raise the roof gospel tunes. 

"Raise the roof gospel" you say?  Fuck out of here until you experience a real live praise break.

1 hour ago, ultimaton said:

#NotAllChristians

https://www.quora.com/To-Christians-What-would-Gods-purpose-be-to-create-a-man-who-is-only-52-tall-which-isnt-considered-tall-enough-for-most-women

To Christians: What would God's purpose be to create a man who is only 5'2" tall which isn't considered tall enough for most women?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/9/2022 at 5:18 PM, troph said:

I wish no personal ill will but Yeah it’s not laziness at all. I was deep, deep into the church, wanted to be a pastor and all of that and then some - despite the treatment. The fact is, the sheer number of Christians who spew hate, wish us silenced or dead overwhelms any other message. At some point - originally and now - those Christians won out under that tent. Not my job to say some under the tent are good, it’s time for the good people under that tent to take it back if it ever was theirs to begin with.  It’s your home and you have allowed theives and scoundrels to take control. The Christian tent lost the ability to say but we aren’t all like that when those in control of that tent started stealing our rights from us.  Rights we only recently gained after hundreds of years of living in the shadows or fighting for them for more than a century, rights we fought to take from a resistant Christian tradition to begin with.  you can say you can't change it, and that's fine and probably true but there are more Christians who don't speak out against hate spewed by Christians than do and at some point the brand has the image it has. I'll gladly admit not all Christians are haters, but here's the thing, that might make a loving Christian feel good, but it gets me nothing, not one goddamned thing.

I don’t have any I’ll will for you or anyone else that has been ridiculed, berated, attacked emotionally and physically in many cases. I do not care for these people who co-opted a banner meant to spread peace and love for your fellow man and woman. I did not grow up in church and really did not regularly attend services until college when it was a requirement to be in church on Sunday. There are things from back them that stuck with me that were just horrific. A friend that passed away in college from sickle cell got up and spoke in chapel for an hour. He ended it by calling out students, professors and school administration for blatant racism. That day opened up my dumb, sheltered self to how awful people calling themselves Christians can be. 

Have I had your experiences? Absolutely not. Do I have a mouth-breather of a governor trying to cancel my way of life right out of the state like you do? Of course not. To bring this back to Abbott I would say that he knows at his core that he is doing things that hurt people, but he doesn’t care because power corrupts. He will do and say whatever he has to do to maintain his grip on power. It is shameful and I do hope he receives payment in full for what he is doing to folks like yourself and everyone e else he decided does not matter and does not belong in Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 4

The Texas tribute article is a good read

Locked in a potentially tight reelection race and facing criticism over the grid’s 2021 collapse, the governor is exerting unprecedented influence over what the state grid operator shares with the public — and who will be its next CEO.

One example

The governor has already vetoed Steve Berberich, a Texan who was vice president of Irving-based TXU Energy and later became CEO of California’s power grid operator and who appeared to have strong support from both the power industry and ERCOT’s board of directors, two people familiar with the matter said.

“The only explanation we got was because he came from California,” said a power industry source familiar with the discussions about Berberich. “Obviously California has its share of problems, but you can’t argue with his qualifications.”

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/08/10/texas-power-grid-ercot-ceo-greg-abbott/

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Getting pummeled in the replies worse than Ted Cruz:

Thank you to our brave officers for protecting the Lone Star State at the border, on the roads, & in our communities. Plus, I appreciate you being a nice political backdrop for every single press conference I have. Don't worry about the 91 of you on scene at Uvalde. Not like I was going to do anything to address the problem anyway. 

13 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Hey guys, Abbott just fixed Uvalde. He funded 30 more heroes in blue to their police force.  Mission accomplished.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/11/texas-gov-abbott-hiring-30-additional-officers-in-uvalde/

Yep, the problem was 360 officers were not enough. 390 were needed to stop the gunman. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

On 8/10/2022 at 5:25 PM, Updawg said:

The Texas tribute article is a good read

Locked in a potentially tight reelection race and facing criticism over the grid’s 2021 collapse, the governor is exerting unprecedented influence over what the state grid operator shares with the public — and who will be its next CEO.

One example

The governor has already vetoed Steve Berberich, a Texan who was vice president of Irving-based TXU Energy and later became CEO of California’s power grid operator and who appeared to have strong support from both the power industry and ERCOT’s board of directors, two people familiar with the matter said.

“The only explanation we got was because he came from California,” said a power industry source familiar with the discussions about Berberich. “Obviously California has its share of problems, but you can’t argue with his qualifications.”

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/08/10/texas-power-grid-ercot-ceo-greg-abbott/

Watch us end up with Rick Perry in the role. He used to the Secretary of Energy!!!

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1