Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I get it. The politics are hitting home instead of the usual small towns that people thumb their noses at on the border. That's why they're turning red, and you're too clueless to understand. Pee tapes, and Georgia governor races get in way. 

What border town have you ever been to?

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

So since they've faced worse, we should be able to do whatever isn't as bad as what Maduro's done or what they've already faced at the border. WTF?  The metric on whether we're a just society is whether we're a failed state with a severe food shortage?

Also, these people were kidnapped. How the fuck isn't it dangerous to allow governors to kidnap people living in other states and transport them to whereever the hell they want?  Never mind that MV does not have social services for these people, and almost the entirety of its jobs are in tourism which is essentially closed for the next eight months.

Argue Wife Swap GIF by Paramount Network

I get it. The politics are hitting home instead of the usual small towns that people thumb their noses at on the border. That's why they're turning red, and you're too clueless to understand. Pee tapes, and Georgia governor races get in way. 

My family has lived and worked along the texas-Mexico border for over 175 years. My dad grew up there. My mom grew up there. They married there.
You couldn’t be more wrong if you tried.
What DeSantis did here is literally a federal crime. If you actually believe in law and order, you should want him charged, tried, and convicted. Do you believe in law and order, or not?
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

You truly are dumbass.  Go back to the rock you were under this summer.

No.

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

They're turning red for multiple reasons, the main one being that most of the industry is oil field and  people like Ted Cruz sold them a bill of goods that it was all the green energy Democratic politicians' fault. Never mind that diverse energy is better for the planet and especially border counties and towns (climate change influences migratory patterns). Never mind that the fossil fuel industry received an $8.2 billion dollar tax break which they pocketed while slashing jobs. Did that happen on Biden's watch? No. It happened in 2020.

Our governor. Our governor, not yours, but our governor could take the money he is spending and set up meetings to discuss and push forth legislation for policy changes to enable guest worker programs and so on, but he has no interest in actually solving any issues at all. We have children in foster care that are suffering, children in juvenile facilities that are suffering inhumane conditions, pregnant women who are being denied care while hospital administrators and lawyers decide what to do, and I've lost count how large the rape kit backlog has gotten. He took the infrastructure money and claimed credit for bringing broadband to rural towns, (thanks Joe). He took the infrastructure money, claimed credit, and finally got some TXDOT projects underway (thanks Joe), and you sit up there belching hot air in Oregon and talking about immigrants and the border. Holy moly, you are a Kajagoogoo One Hit Wonder of talking points some times.

Kamala, and the speaker of the Whitehouse just said that the border is all good. I mean the democrat cities are already calling it a hard time as it is with the few migrants that they've received. It's just peachy keen though, apparently. 

Hey, if the latin countries want to start fixing thier corruption then there would be fewer border crossings, but somehow turning to pure green energy isn't going to stifle it. 

• Fuck You 14

35 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

No.

Kamala, and the speaker of the Whitehouse just said that the border is all good. I mean the democrat cities are already calling it a hard time as it is with the few migrants that they've received. It's just peachy keen though, apparently. 

Hey, if the latin countries want to start fixing thier corruption then there would be fewer border crossings, but somehow turning to pure green energy isn't going to stifle it. 

Will you provide the relevant quotes claiming that the border is “all good.”

20 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Will you provide the relevant quotes claiming that the border is “all good.”

Also the quotes of the "democrat cities" saying they're having a "hard time," other than the Republican governor of Massachusetts complaining about people being kidnapped into his state.  Or that "democrat cities" have "few migrants," when for example Massachusetts has about the same amount per capita of undocumented immigrants as Florida.  His entire post is a bunch of nonsense cobbled together into something approximating untrue sentences.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

If Greg Abbott wanted this problem to end he could’ve done something the last twenty years as an elected statewide leader with every legislature and statewide office being Republican. But he didn’t because there are industries that need it.He could make Everify mandatory if he pushed for it. 

the “throw my hands in the air I can’t do anything” act he puts on because it’s a federal border is horseshit and he will find that out in the 2024 primaries when every candidate uses our border as an example of his failed leadership.

13 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I mean, to be fair it is a Federal border. That's why I've been a bit surprised Biden hasn't told Abbott and Operation Lone Star to cool it.

That said, I do think the border is an issue and needs to be addressed. It's one area where I think Biden is lacking and Republicans have a legit gripe.

All of that explained... fuck the entire demonization of people crossing the border and fuck using them as political props. 

If Republicans had wanted to do something over the past 20 years, when they’ve held both the White House and both chambers of Congress, they could have:

1. Ordered the IRS and Social Security Administration to get their databases in order and flag the low-hanging fruit where there are clearly red flags pointing to identity theft/fraud
  2. Stop merely fining companies that keep getting busted hiring illegals and do something substantial that impacts them.  When an agricultural company like say Tyson Foods is repeatedly raided and hundreds of illegals are found, then clearly there is a systemic problem there and fines aren’t cutting it.
  3. In Texas, put limits on corporate donations.  Big-ass companies/industries/individuals  in Texas that benefit from illegal labor should not be able to influence legislation that would impact their employment pool.

#1 would make it harder for illegals to work here using stolen identities

#2 would help dry up a lot of the jobs illegals are working at.  A helluva lot of people come here because there are jobs.

#3 would get major employers’ hands off of shaping legislation that could help or hurt them.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Apparently I was thinking of Farrah Forke.  Who, sadly, passed away just a few months ago at 54.  From Texas also.  Tragic.  Kinda Auburn/Chestnut hair I guess, just beautiful.  RIP.  

also, Greg Abbott seems to be unhinged lately.

CSB my brother dated Crystal for awhile. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Trump was in power for 4 years before Biden.

What exactly did he do to "protect" the border?

Seems it only became an issue when Biden smoked his ass and became president.

Um, trump lied about putting up a wall that Mexico paid for, and the wall magically became inoperative in January 2021.  Or at least that's what happened in GQP fantasyland.

• Hook 'Em 2

If Desantis’ goal was to move the news cycle away from Lindsey and abortion, it worked great. Democrats need to throw resources at helping those people and shut the fuck up about it beyond “we got this.” Short term some NGOs need to set up some rapid response migrant support trucks and park them around the north east.  DC, NY, etc are going to continue to receive people, so just lean into it.  Longer term congress needs to start reducing federal funds to red border states and move those funds to the NGOs and/or these states that Abbot and Desantis are targeting. If Texas and Florida wants to offload immigration to blue states, they need to offload that budgetary support for it as well. Bitching about it isn’t going to stop these assholes, they are counting on playing this out in the media. 

• Hook 'Em 6

37 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

If Desantis’ goal was to move the news cycle away from Lindsey and abortion, it worked great. Democrats need to throw resources at helping those people and shut the fuck up about it beyond “we got this.” Short term some NGOs need to set up some rapid response migrant support trucks and park them around the north east.  DC, NY, etc are going to continue to receive people, so just lean into it.  Longer term congress needs to start reducing federal funds to red border states and move those funds to the NGOs and/or these states that Abbot and Desantis are targeting. If Texas and Florida wants to offload immigration to blue states, they need to offload that budgetary support for it as well. Bitching about it isn’t going to stop these assholes, they are counting on playing this out in the media. 

Also, Abbott and DeSantis need to be arrested, tried, and convicted for a plain and open violation of federal criminal law.

Don't you find it FASCINATING that all of these MAGAs, who have spent the last several years screaming about "HUMAN TRAFFICKING!  WON'T SOMEONE PROTECT THE CHILDREN?!?" are dead-silent when actual government officials openly and proudly participate in a conspiracy to kidnap human beings by deception, including children, and traffic them across state lines over 1,000 miles away?  I mean, it's like, MAYBE, they don't actually care about kidnapping and human trafficking at all, being that they are now presented with an open and notorious case of it, and they SUPPORT IT?

• Hook 'Em 7

Just remember, the gqp was on Team Russia while the rest of the world was on Team Ukraine.   It is not a surprise that the gqp governors would adopt the tactics (kidnapping, state sponsored disinformation and lying, ignoring the will of the people) in their quest to be more like Putin.   

• Hook 'Em 4

Also, Abbott and DeSantis need to be arrested, tried, and convicted for a plain and open violation of federal criminal law.
Don't you find it FASCINATING that all of these MAGAs, who have spent the last several years screaming about "HUMAN TRAFFICKING!  WON'T SOMEONE PROTECT THE CHILDREN?!?" are dead-silent when actual government officials openly and proudly participate in a conspiracy to kidnap human beings by deception, including children, and traffic them across state lines over 1,000 miles away?  I mean, it's like, MAYBE, they don't actually care about kidnapping and human trafficking at all, being that they are now presented with an open and notorious case of it, and they SUPPORT IT?

Abbott is stating that the people he bussed volunteered…. He’s skirting the human trafficking issue. He’s trying to distance himself from DeSantis.

11 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Abbott is stating that the people he bussed volunteered…. He’s skirting the human trafficking issue. He’s trying to distance himself from DeSantis.

Yes, they did.....BECAUSE ABBOTT AND DESANTIS LIED TO THEM ABOUT WHERE THEY WERE GOING.  For fuck's sake, when you tell a kid you're taking him to get a puppy, and he happily jumps in the car, that's not a defense to a kidnapping charge when gee, it turns out you LIED and were actually taking him to your underground rape-a-torium.  "But, little Timmy got in my van voluntarily!" ain't gonna be a good defense, Greg.  So, fucking try it.  Trot that out.  Swear to it on the stand.  I fucking dare you, you fucking sick psychopath.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes, they did.....BECAUSE ABBOTT AND DESANTIS LIED TO THEM ABOUT WHERE THEY WERE GOING.  For fuck's sake, when you tell a kid you're taking him to get a puppy, and he happily jumps in the car, that's not a defense to a kidnapping charge when gee, it turns out you LIED and were actually taking him to your underground rape-a-torium.  "But, little Timmy got in my van voluntarily!" ain't gonna be a good defense, Greg.  So, fucking try it.  Trot that out.  Swear to it on the stand.  I fucking dare you, you fucking sick psychopath.

Dude, these stunts they are doing are sick, but holy shit -- they went to Martha's Vineyard, not lured into a rape. 

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Dude, these stunts they are doing are sick, but holy shit -- they went to Martha's Vineyard, not lured into a rape. 

Doesn't matter.  Kidnapping is kidnapping.  If it was for the purpose of sexual assault, it would be an ENHANCEMENT of the kidnapping charge, but the elements of the crime have been met.

Abbott and DeSantis used deception to lure people into their control, and then shipped them over 1,000 miles away.  It's federal kidnapping.  Including of minors, which carries a MANDATORY minimum of 20 years.  Arrest.  Try.  Convict.  Imprison.  That's what we're supposed to do with criminals, RIGHT, you law-and-order types?  Isn't that the standard you keep yelling about?

They are criminal scum, and should be treated as such.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is "kidnapping by deception" a legal term, or is it just the angle one would use in trying to tag these bad actors with a kidnapping charge in court?

The word the statute uses is "inveigles" (which means "by deception," and also tells you how old the statute is -- first enacted almost 75 years ago):

(a)Whoever unlawfully seizes, confines, inveigles, decoys, kidnaps, abducts, or carries away and holds for ransom or reward or otherwise any person, except in the case of a minor by the parent thereof, when—

(1)

the person is willfully transported in interstate or foreign commerce, regardless of whether the person was alive when transported across a State boundary, or the offender travels in interstate or foreign commerce or uses the mail or any means, facility, or instrumentality of interstate or foreign commerce in committing or in furtherance of the commission of the offense;

In short, if you use deception to take and transport someone across state lines (my "hey little boy, wanna go get a puppy?" analogy just points out the obvious example we all heard about as kids) commits the federal crime of kidnapping.

Bury them under the prison.  Enough.  Basta.

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Doesn't matter.  Kidnapping is kidnapping.  If it was for the purpose of sexual assault, it would be an ENHANCEMENT of the kidnapping charge, but the elements of the crime have been met.

Abbott and DeSantis used deception to lure people into their control, and then shipped them over 1,000 miles away.  It's federal kidnapping.  Including of minors, which carries a MANDATORY minimum of 20 years.  Arrest.  Try.  Convict.  Imprison.  That's what we're supposed to do with criminals, RIGHT, you law-and-order types?  Isn't that the standard you keep yelling about?

Is there any documentation that Abbott lied to the riders? Npr had a segment yesterday interviewing riders and everyone of them was grateful since they received a free ride to their final destination.  They even mentioned that this is causing more people to cross the boarder since it makes the final leg of their journey so much easier.

Florida is a different story. 

Edited by ONE YARD

You can’t possibly know how safe and welcoming their reception would be.

Abbbot and DeSantis obviously thought the MV residents would be all “GET THESE BROWNS OUTTA HERE!” - otherwise, why do it?

They wanted to pull a stunt for their chowderheaded base but they also wanted video examples of “LIBERALS ACTUALLY HATE MINORITIES TOO LOLOLOLOL”.

DeSantis sent a film crew on the plane with them.

So, yeah - Abbott and DeSantis didn’t know these poor people would get a loving and kind welcome. And I’d bet my Harry Styles merch collection they were hoping they wouldn’t.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ONE YARD said:

Is there any documentation that Abbott lied to the riders? Npr had a segment yesterday interviewing riders and everyone of them was grateful since they received a free ride to their final destination.  They even mentioned that this is causing more people to cross the boarder since it makes the final leg of their journey so much easier.

Making the border situation worse for your own state, just to own the libs!

3 minutes ago, ONE YARD said:

Abbott didn't have to be the one who lied.  It was a member of their team (a woman identified as "Perla") who did the actual lying.  Fortunately, the kidnapping statute has a conspiracy element to it; you don't have to be the one who actually tells the lie, you just have to participate in the overall scheme to kidnap them.  DeSantis and Abbott almost certainly did just that.

And read the additional accounts/discussions on NPR - they were lured to Mass on false pretenses (told they were being taken to get jobs, etc.).  It's kidnapping by deception.  It should be prosecuted as such.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Bama Chick said:

Abbbot and DeSantis obviously thought the MV residents would be all “GET THESE BROWNS OUTTA HERE!” - otherwise, why do it?

They wanted to pull a stunt for their chowderheaded base but they also wanted video examples of “LIBERALS ACTUALLY HATE MINORITIES TOO LOLOLOLOL”.

So, yeah - Abbott and DeSantis didn’t know these poor people would get a loving and kind welcome. And I’d bet my Harry Styles merch collection they were hoping they wouldn’t.

Well the calculus in their diseased minds never accounted for some humans actually not being pieces of shit to those who are in need. Someone not being solely in it for themselves is a foreign concept to some on the Right. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

In addition, there is always room for the deceptively edited Project Veritas/ Pool type video where gruntled townspeople are depicted. It's their brand. Then later, "Oops, our bad.."

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Abbott didn't have to be the one who lied.  It was a member of their team (a woman identified as "Perla") who did the actual lying.  Fortunately, the kidnapping statute has a conspiracy element to it; you don't have to be the one who actually tells the lie, you just have to participate in the overall scheme to kidnap them.  DeSantis and Abbott almost certainly did just that.

And read the additional accounts/discussions on NPR - they were lured to Mass on false pretenses (told they were being taken to get jobs, etc.).  It's kidnapping by deception.  It should be prosecuted as such.

But wasn’t Mass all DeSantis?

look, I’m for almost 100% open boarders. So I actually like this, it helps get people to where they what to be via a relatively safe method.

My wife recently had a female cousin in her early 20s travel from the boarder to Chicago via the back of an 18 wheeler.  She called after the fact and my god, my heart dropped hearing the story. I’m pissed she didn’t just call us to pick her up, but her rational is that she didn’t want to risk getting us in trouble and charged with human trafficking  

i understand abbot and desantis are not doing this out of the kindness of their heart, but if it stops trailer loads of dead migrants im all for it. 

Edited by ONE YARD

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well the calculus in their diseased minds never accounted for some humans actually not being pieces of shit to those who are in need. Someone not being solely in it for themselves is a foreign concept to some on the Right. 

Exactly this.  Goes back to what I said earlier and have been saying forever.  They cannot conceive of anyone doing something altruistically or just being compassionate in general because that is not something that would occur to them to do.  They project their hatred onto everyone else.  They are bad human beings that don't understand not all people are bad human beings.

This is why they are all afraid of everything and everyone.  This is why they cling to their guns.  Everyone in the world is scary and bad and evil and mean, just like them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, ONE YARD said:

But wasn’t Mass all DeSantis?

look, I’m for almost 100% open boarders. So I actually like this, it helps get people to where they what to be via a relatively safe method.

My wife recently had a female cousin in her early 20s travel from the boarder to Chicago via the back of an 18 wheeler.  She called after the fact and my god, my heart dropped hearing the story. I’m pissed she didn’t just call us to pick her up, but her rational is that she didn’t want to risk getting us in trouble and charged with human trafficking  

i understand abbot and desantis is not doing this out of the kindness of their heart, but if it stops trailer loads of dead migrants im all for it. 

Please spell border correctly.  And "open borders" is an ambiguous concept, so you'll need to clarify what you mean.  Even the most liberal among us on this board don't want to just let the border be a land rush.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Exactly this.  Goes back to what I said earlier and have been saying forever.  They cannot conceive of anyone doing something altruistically or just being compassionate in general because that is not something that would occur to them to do.  They project their hatred onto everyone else.  They are bad human beings that don't understand not all people are bad human beings.

This is why they are all afraid of everything and everyone.  This is why they cling to their guns.  Everyone in the world is scary and bad and evil and mean, just like them.

Perfectly stated.

51 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Seems like they'd all have a pretty good 1983 claim (Abbott acting under color of state law discriminating on basis of national origin).

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Please spell border correctly.  And "open borders" is an ambiguous concept, so you'll need to clarify what you mean.  Even the most liberal among us on this board don't want to just let the border be a land rush.

No need to be rude.  ideally I would like anyone seeking a better life have the ability to cross the border and live in the United States after a background check showing they are not a danger to society.  

They would be documented and allowed to live/work legally in the United States.  If they commit a felony or multiple misdemeanors they would be immediately deported and not allowed to reenter.  

after a few years they would be allowed to apply for permanent residency and eventually citizenship (basically what we do with Cubans now)  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, ONE YARD said:

No need to be rude.  ideally I would like anyone seeking a better life have the ability to cross the border and live in the United States after a background check showing they are not a danger to society.  

They would be documented and allowed to live/work legally in the United States.  If they commit a felony or multiple misdemeanors they would be immediately deported and not allowed to reenter.  

after a few years they would be allowed to apply for permanent residency and eventually citizenship (basically what we do with Cubans now)  

Wasn't trying to be rude.  Spelling just gets on my nerves.  But I agree with your position at a surface level, though I'm sure there's a million complications we haven't thought of here on the internet.  It's a good start.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

For fuck's sake, when you tell a kid you're taking him to get a puppy, and he happily jumps in the car, that's not a defense to a kidnapping charge when gee, it turns out you LIED and were actually taking him to your underground rape-a-torium. 

Absolutely.  And this is coming from someone as kid who fell for the "I've got ice cream in my van" way too many times.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me 10 times . . . . 

• Haha 2