Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

24 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Hot Wheels would not be doing this if he did not know that it appeals to Texans. That says it all to me about what a messed up place it has become. 

that is a huge oversimplification. he is doing it to appease his donors, because they are the only ones he feels the need to obey. Sure it gets the swampy base riled up, but it also pleases the purse holders

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

@Brisketexan doesn't the bolded part get Abbott, DeSantis and the boys off the hook?

Nope.  The bolded text modifies just the clause that it's in (that is, it does not mean that ONLY kidnapping "for ransom or reward," and also, the "or otherwise" makes it broad as hell anyway)...at least, that's the way I read it per the rules of statutory construction.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Nope.  The bolded text modifies just the clause that it's in (that is, it does not mean that ONLY kidnapping "for ransom or reward," and also, the "or otherwise" makes it broad as hell anyway)...at least, that's the way I read it per the rules of statutory construction.

Yeah, the "otherwise" seemed to add a lot of fuzz to the phrase but the rest seemed a little more clear- cut.  What a profession.

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

You can’t possibly know how safe and welcoming their reception would be.

Abbbot and DeSantis obviously thought the MV residents would be all “GET THESE BROWNS OUTTA HERE!” - otherwise, why do it?

They wanted to pull a stunt for their chowderheaded base but they also wanted video examples of “LIBERALS ACTUALLY HATE MINORITIES TOO LOLOLOLOL”.

DeSantis sent a film crew on the plane with them.

So, yeah - Abbott and DeSantis didn’t know these poor people would get a loving and kind welcome. And I’d bet my Harry Styles merch collection they were hoping they wouldn’t.

FN is running with that story regardless of the reality on the ground. 

7 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

This little game doesn't work well as a one-way flight. Gotta figure out how to link Venezuela, Texas, and Massachusetts into a rotating triangle trade.

Can you somehow work rum and sugar into it?  I think we have the makings of a business enterprise here…

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't know if Abbott had anything to do with DeSantis's stunt. But anyone seriously believe he told the DC-bound migrants, "hey families, do you guys want to hang out in front of the Vice President's home for hours with nothing to do and no food or facilities so we can all own the libs?"   I have my doubts 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

That should be Beto's next TV ad. Period.

No.  His ad should have two dumbfucks running some burnt out power plant when it stops running on a windy day.  Greg goes on TV to tell everyone to keep it at 67 while people freeze in their homes and blames it on wind  (cut to the turbines spinning just fine).  Show people at home freezing and blaming their power outage on Abbott.   (possibly cut to some boss hog dipshits smoking a cigar and laughing at all the money he just made.

Next commercial.

The boss hogg guy is laughing his ass off and tells greg what a great job, here is $1 million for your campaign.  He keeps laughing as news comes out it cost $12 million to buy $50 bus tickets for 50 people.  He asks Greg if they are in trouble.  Greg responds, Hell no, the voters are too stupid to pay attention.  Commercial fades.

Next commercial.  19 children are being shot up.  Greg Abbot is wheeling around on the dance floor doing spins while boss hog types make it rain on him.   

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

I don't know if Abbott had anything to do with DeSantis's stunt. But anyone seriously believe he told the DC-bound migrants, "hey families, do you guys want to hang out in front of the Vice President's home for hours with nothing to do and no food or facilities so we can all own the libs?"   I have my doubts 

Man if I was stuck in the valley and you offered me a bus or plane ticket to any fucking place I’d be on it no questions asked. I feel bad for the immigrants because they are being used; and I’m pissed because of the obvious grifting ($1800 for a bus ticket), but they are definitely all in a better place now. 

19 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Man if I was stuck in the valley and you offered me a bus or plane ticket to any fucking place I’d be on it no questions asked. I feel bad for the immigrants because they are being used; and I’m pissed because of the obvious grifting ($1800 for a bus ticket), but they are definitely all in a better place now. 

Meanwhile, how are these stunts mitigating problems at the border?

Edited by Satchel

No they aren’t.

These people were LEGAL asylum seekers. They’ve already been processed through immigration and have court dates for their asylum hearing.

Most of them were already houses with family or friends and were making money - busboys, maids, day labor, roofing etc.

They were lied to and told if they got on the planes they would get their case presented immediately AND they had housing and employment ready for them.

Now they’re stuck thousands of miles away from their homes and friends and families and jobs and maybe have to get back for a mandatory immigration court date in Oklahoma City next week?

These people were not just kidnapped they were actively targeted by one state government on behalf of another state government in order to pull off a dickhole cruel prank.

They’re not at all better off now.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

31 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Meanwhile, how are these stunts mitigating problems at the border?

Obviously there's thousands of would-be migrants watching FoxNews in Caracas.  And they are saying to one another, "Oh, they're flying our gente to Martha's Vineyard?  Shit, let's not even bother going up there then..."

This is so fucking bizarre.  Even my most pro-MAGA family members (who are also Hispanic btw) are saying, "Yeah, this seems a bit extreme..."  They'll still vote how they're gonna vote but at least they recognize the humanitarian absurdity of a place with the social safety net equivalency of Mackinac Island. 

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Obviously there's thousands of would-be migrants watching FoxNews in Caracas.  And they are saying to one another, "Oh, they're flying our gente to Martha's Vineyard?  Shit, let's not even bother going up there then..."

This is so fucking bizarre.  Even my most pro-MAGA family members (who are also Hispanic btw) are saying, "Yeah, this seems a bit extreme..."  They'll still vote how they're gonna vote but at least they recognize the humanitarian absurdity of a place with the social safety net equivalency of Mackinac Island. 

How do they reconcile this kind of cruelty with Catholic social teachings?

30 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

No they aren’t.

These people were LEGAL asylum seekers. They’ve already been processed through immigration and have court dates for their asylum hearing.

Most of them were already houses with family or friends and were making money - busboys, maids, day labor, roofing etc.

They were lied to and told if they got on the planes they would get their case presented immediately AND they had housing and employment ready for them.

Now they’re stuck thousands of miles away from their homes and friends and families and jobs and maybe have to get back for a mandatory immigration court date in Oklahoma City next week?

These people were not just kidnapped they were actively targeted by one state government on behalf of another state government in order to pull off a dickhole cruel prank.

All due respect but you’ve not spent much time in the valley. 

That ship sailed a long while ago.  The craziest part is my most adamant "what about the border!?!?" pro-MAGA relatives (there's not a lot, but they are damn dug in on their positions) are the ones that used to be so much more vocally proud about our hispanic heritage.  I used to feel like Elaine telling George "But you're bald!", when I'd tell them "But our mothers are from Mexico!" and like George in denial, "Nah, they were from Mexico!.........now we gotta not just keep the brown people out...we must be mean to them as well to show that we mean business!  Build that wall!"  But the Martha's Vineyard thing, even they are indicating, "Wow, that seems weird."  But in a week, FoxNews will have twisted the story and beaten them back into the party line.  But fucking-A 

• Hook 'Em 1

Obama’s 2013 legislation passed the House but could not get a vote in the Senate because Republicans feared its almost certain passage:

President Obama's proposal for immigration reform has four parts. First, continue to strengthen our borders. Second, crack down on companies that hire undocumented workers. Third, hold undocumented immigrants accountable before they can earn their citizenship; this means requiring undocumented workers to pay their taxes and a penalty, move to the back of the line, learn English, and pass background checks. Fourth, streamline the legal immigration system for families, workers, and employers

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Obama’s 2013 legislation passed the House but could not get a vote in the Senate because Republicans feared its almost certain passage:

President Obama's proposal for immigration reform has four parts. First, continue to strengthen our borders. Second, crack down on companies that hire undocumented workers. Third, hold undocumented immigrants accountable before they can earn their citizenship; this means requiring undocumented workers to pay their taxes and a penalty, move to the back of the line, learn English, and pass background checks. Fourth, streamline the legal immigration system for families, workers, and employers

We could have had this or ACA not both. If he had put this through first he might have still gotten ACA

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

We could have had this or ACA not both. If he had put this through first he might have still gotten ACA

He promised action on both. It’s was a promises made, promises kept thing. To be sure, Obama was not the problem in 2013. The refusal of Mumbles to allow a vote was.

7 minutes ago, Satchel said:

He promised action on both. It’s was a promises made, promises kept thing. To be sure, Obama was not the problem in 2013. The refusal of Mumbles to allow a vote was.

I guess if you consider a legislative failure a promise kept sure. There was the political capital to do it prior to the 2010 midterms. There wasn’t after ACA. I’m sure Obama wouldn’t change a thing, but nevertheless here we are

Just now, Sawbonz said:

I guess if you consider a legislative failure a promise kept sure. There was the political capital to do it prior to the 2010 midterms. There wasn’t after ACA. I’m sure Obama wouldn’t change a thing, but nevertheless here we are

Who are you blaming here? Obama or the Republicans who objected to comprehensive immigration reform?

Just now, Satchel said:

Who are you blaming here? Obama or the Republicans who objected to comprehensive immigration reform?

I’m not assigning blame I am just pointing out that it was a missed opportunity. Obama wanted healthcare reform and was willing to sacrifice everything else to get that. Arguably it was the most important item on the agenda, but he didn’t even have enough Democratic votes in the House to get it done without reconciliation. It burned a huge amount of political capital and arguably cost the Democrats the House in the mid terms

I’m sure he would do it all over again the same exact way. At this point, unless and until the Republican Party is completely broken, nothing is going to get done unless the Democrats can hold the house and kill the filibuster

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m not assigning blame I am just pointing out that it was a missed opportunity. Obama wanted healthcare reform and was willing to sacrifice everything else to get that. Arguably it was the most important item on the agenda, but he didn’t even have enough Democratic votes in the House to get it done without reconciliation. It burned a huge amount of political capital and arguably cost the Democrats the House in the mid terms

I’m sure he would do it all over again the same exact way. At this point, unless and until the Republican Party is completely broken, nothing is going to get done unless the Democrats can hold the house and kill the filibuster

One would hope. Health care trumps Immigration. All day, every day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Clearly you've never been to Arkansas

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

No they aren’t.

Can you quote the source for this? I’d be interested to read more. 

6 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

that is a huge oversimplification. he is doing it to appease his donors, because they are the only ones he feels the need to obey. Sure it gets the swampy base riled up, but it also pleases the purse holders

I don’t disagree but all of this stuff is polled and ultimately they don’t do this stuff without knowing public sentiment. This close to an election it would be suicide to not know how the electorate will view it. No way the candidate or their crazy donors would risk losing over it. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Can you quote the source for this? I’d be interested to read more. 

Public reporting discussed it. Also, it would be illegal for them to be transporting true illegals within the country. All of these people have asylum hearings.