Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

I think Abbott has already struck some sort of deal with Trump.  All the Texas R's have been suspiciously quiet about the announcement, in fact we saw Patrick and Paxton fully endorsing TFG.   I read one article that said Abbott wasn't running if Trump ran.

So my theory is team Trump/Abbott in 2024.  Texas is a nice big red state, lots of O&G and of course under imminent threat of an invasion from Mexico.    

Abbott runs as VP and once they get into office, Trump turns to him for Nixon/Ford Ver.2025.  Or even if Trump stays in office, Abbott is in good shape to roll forward. 

Or Trump gets to the point either legally or healthwise and can't run, then Abbott inherits all the Trumpers, and brings them back into the red flock.  

I know it seems outlandish, but what isn't, anymore?

He's already running, testing the waters.  More busloads and now this "invasion" bullshit.  It's all to keep Trump's immigration fearmongering boiling.

abbott will not be Trump's VP.  Abbott offers none of the usual 3 strategic incentives for a VP nomination, at all.  Should Trump, DeSantis, or any other GOP candidate win in 2024...I think Abbott is at once a very attractive cabinet nominee or SCOTUS if Alito agrees to retire during a GOP regime change (Thomas gonna die in that chair, bank on it).  

But yeah, the statewide GOP got real fucking quiet on national Republican politics on Tuesday and hasn't said a peep since other than we're all going to die yesterday because of Mexicans. 

30 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I think Abbott has already struck some sort of deal with Trump.  All the Texas R's have been suspiciously quiet about the announcement, in fact we saw Patrick and Paxton fully endorsing TFG.   I read one article that said Abbott wasn't running if Trump ran.

So my theory is team Trump/Abbott in 2024.  Texas is a nice big red state, lots of O&G and of course under imminent threat of an invasion from Mexico.    

Abbott runs as VP and once they get into office, Trump turns to him for Nixon/Ford Ver.2025.  Or even if Trump stays in office, Abbott is in good shape to roll forward. 

Or Trump gets to the point either legally or healthwise and can't run, then Abbott inherits all the Trumpers, and brings them back into the red flock.  

He's already running, testing the waters.  More busloads and now this "invasion" bullshit.  It's all to keep Trump's immigration fearmongering boiling.

No chance of that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

C’mon man, not everything has to be so combative. We both know that this won’t do much, but I’m only a man and sometimes sweet lies are better than the bitter truth. 

You're right.  It doesn't HAVE to be so combative.  Abbott doesn't have to dehumanize and vilify an entire group of people for political gain, ship them to other locales under false pretenses using taxpayer money, and then lie about it, BUT HE DOES.  

So yes, when you pos rep or otherwise tacitly endorse the horrifying lies and tactics used by the Rs in this state, it does have to be combative.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You're right.  It doesn't HAVE to be so combative.  Abbott doesn't have to dehumanize and vilify an entire group of people for political gain, ship them to other locales under false pretenses using taxpayer money, and then lie about it, BUT HE DOES.  

So yes, when you pos rep or otherwise tacitly endorse the horrifying lies and tactics used by the Rs in this state, it does have to be combative.

Yeah, we’re definitely on opposite sides when it comes to sending them to Martha’s Vineyard. I thought it was brilliant. They called the national guard for what, 30 illegals? Speaking of dehumanizing, that’s unbelievable.

• Fuck You 13
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

trump needs a swing state vp 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Republicans have held both chambers of the Texas legislature since 2003.  They've held the Governor's mansion since 1995.  They've held the Attorney General's office since 1999.

Republicans held the White House from 2017 to 2021.  During that time, President Trump (a) failed to get Mexico to pay for a border wall, (b) apprpriated some $15B of US funds, much of which was pilfered from DoD funding, to build said wall, and (c) only managed to build 458 miles of wall, much of which was redundant to pre-existing structure.

Yet somehow this teeming hoarde of drug dealing brown rapists pouring over the border is the fault of the Democrats, which necessitated Abbott and Desantis' "brilliant" move of tricking hundreds of these people into taking a cross-country bus trip where they were deposited into a (welcoming) wealthy community of east coast lib'rals.

Huh.

There’s this prevailing thought among non border states that they’d welcome all these illegals with open arms. The folks at Martha’s Vineyard had the national guard deployed and put into a facility. It was nice to see that bullshit narrative die. 

• Fuck You 15

4 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

There’s this prevailing thought among non border states that they’d welcome all these illegals with open arms. The folks at Martha’s Vineyard had the national guard deployed and put into a facility. It was nice to see that bullshit narrative die. 

Wait, they gave them SHELTER?  How dare they!

You're a disgusting pig.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Republicans have held both chambers of the Texas legislature since 2003.  They've held the Governor's mansion since 1995.  They've held the Attorney General's office since 1999.

Republicans held the White House from 2017 to 2021.  During that time, President Trump (a) failed to get Mexico to pay for a border wall, (b) apprpriated some $15B of US funds, much of which was pilfered from DoD funding, to build said wall, and (c) only managed to build 458 miles of wall, much of which was redundant to pre-existing structure.

Yet somehow this teeming hoarde of drug dealing brown rapists pouring over the border is the fault of the Democrats, which necessitated Abbott and Desantis' "brilliant" move of tricking hundreds of these people into taking a cross-country bus trip where they were deposited into a (welcoming) wealthy community of east coast lib'rals.

Huh.

For 8 of those years the president was also Texan but still…nothing. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Tacitly endorse? Dude has flat out said he loves that the GOP calls Mexicans "rapists" and "murderers" even when not true, because he believes its good politics and gets the base out. Doesn't care that it may lead to shit like the El Paso Walmart shooting. Don't engage the guy. He gets off on that even more than the thought of dead Brown kids.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

abbott will not be Trump's VP.  Abbott offers none of the usual 3 strategic incentives for a VP nomination, at all.  Should Trump, DeSantis, or any other GOP candidate win in 2024...I think Abbott is at once a very attractive cabinet nominee or SCOTUS if Alito agrees to retire during a GOP regime change (Thomas gonna die in that chair, bank on it).  

Yeah. It’ll be a swing state that Trump needs.

There is also the DeSantis issue.  DeSantis might wait until 2028, but he ain’t waiting until 2032 when demographics might really hurt the GOP, and an Abbott VP slot means Abbott would run in 2028 (assuming Trump could win in 24).  Even if Texas doesn’t go blue,  there are enough states that are shifting left that it maybe out of the GOP’s reach by 2032, unless they change their platform (which could happen as the olds die off).

I’m not even sure Trump could win back the states that he lost.  His endorsements and general craziness turned a lot of people off in those states.

How the fuck is this up for debate?  There is a slight chance DeSantis would consider Abbott for the VP slot, yes.  There is 0.00% chance that Trump would select Abbott as his VP candidate.  DeSantis doesn't need a female/POC VP candidate, Trump does.  DeSantis needs to assuage Abbott from running soon, Trump doesn't.  DeSantis understands the strategic need for Texas in 2028, Trump doesn't.  i'd put Abbott as a Trump option for VP at 0.00%, for DeSantis at 10%.  For either as a cabinet member outta the gate at 50%, and as an eventual SCOTUS nomination when Alito retires at 40%.  

You pick a VP based on balancing a ticket on ideology, demography, age/experience, as a horse trade after somebody exits a primary and throws support behind you, or based on their state being in play.  Abbott would have been a more mainstream, ideological conservative... but he went fucking insane over some Lord of the Rings billboards on IH-35.  He's not youthful, of color, or going to engage in the 2024 primaries in any meaningful way.  Texas is not in any doubt for any GOP candidate in 2024 in a General.  He brings nothing to the table for Trump.  He would be a slight plus for DeSantis, but not much.  There are plenty of other attractive running mates for Ron from North/MidWest.  DeSantis needs are rust belt/midwestern state first, a Hispanic second, a female third (he did well on exit polling with women), a more seasoned GOP politico fourth, and all of those options need to be somebody who be more energetic than him because he's lame as shit.  

Now if the quiet darkhorse emerges, Glenn Youngkin.  If, if, if that happens.  I'll bet you dollars to donuts, he picks Abbott to go on his ticket.  If not 2024, 2028.  That ticket will win against any 'D' ballot in 2028.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

And again you laugh.  Does it not bother you that you believe in a false reality?  It's really not funny.  It's fairly disturbing.

I laughed because I don’t watch Fox News. My time is limited during the evenings because I have little kids and I’m not going to waste it on cable news. 

• Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

he's horrible human being and I hope ill will finds it's way to him ....

He realizes that being the Governor of Texas is his ceiling, and is desperately crying out for attention, and that DeSantis will eat him alive.

I'm sure that he promised Trump a lot for the '24 primaries in exchange for something.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He realizes that being the Governor of Texas is his ceiling, and is desperately crying out for attention, and that DeSantis will eat him alive.

I'm sure that he promised Trump a lot for the '24 primaries in exchange for something.

trump is still popular with the Texas maga gqp, so abbott is a trump guy

if it was desantis instead, he'd back desantis 

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

if it was desantis instead, he'd back desantis 

I don't know, the clock is working against him - Abbott is 65.  I don't imagine him having a shot in 2028 at 71, especially since he does nothing to bring in any of the swing states, while there's a lot of Republicans in their 40s and 50s that think they have a chance.

He's also got those West Texas billionaires working against him.

9 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

I laughed because I don’t watch Fox News. My time is limited during the evenings because I have little kids and I’m not going to waste it on cable news. 

Oh, so you are a complete piece of shit naturally.  Good to know.  I feel for your kids.  They have no chance with a parent like you.

• 2 weeks later...

Fun fact-a prominent Executive Director at a centre-right Center at UT-Austin reached out to Abbott's office recently to personally invite Gov. Abbott to a panel he is moderating between Karl Rove and George Will.  Two decades-long heavyweights in the Republican Party.  Abbott's office politely declined, citing other obligations.  It's Wednesday night in Austin.  Dollars to donuts says Abbott doesn't want to be associated with these two since they represent a very different wing of the party now.  He is busy on his new crusade to end transgender indoctrination in schools.  

just found it curious.  Just a few years ago, if you were a Republican in Texas and Karl Rove and George Will invited you to speak with them, there's a 99% chance you'd attend.  Say what you will about Rove, he's fucking smart.  And I know y'all think George Will is a genocidal maniac or whatever, but the man took the intellectual torch from Buckley and is a sane voice.  Abbott can certainly hang with them if he puts his thinking cap on, but in this day and age---he has to repeat the same 7 talking points and not be seen with too many "book-types."  I would have loved to seen Rove and Will speaking to deep critiques of applications of Edmund Burke and Hayek's philosophies over modern conservative politics.  And then Abbott chimes in with, "Yeah, well tell that to ANITFA who are burning our cities and installing CRT in our schools!"  And everybody looking at him like, "You know everybody in the audience is a PhD candidate, right?  Most of them are even wearing shirts."  

• Haha 1

Well, that's according to his fraternity brothers.  GWK5H in New Jersey.  It was hyperbole for effect.  

I know the board's feelings on Rove.  I think most dismiss Will as a former mouthpiece of the Chamber wing of the GOP, though at least acknowledging his erudite traits. However, even my most ardent liberal friends are looking at folks like Kristol and Will and realizing they bring an interesting viewpoint to the debate about the internal strife in a post-MAGA party.  Karl as a "consultant" and PAC leader makes my teeth itch.  And his autobiography and other books on his political experience are awful.  But his book on McKinley and his in-person talks on the book at least made me realize he has a pretty big brain on him.  In hindsight, he was one of the first to realize dumbing things down though is good for politics.  I mean, not populism-style clarity, but full-on embracing folksy ignorance.  

Anyway, my point with Abbott was he can obviously hang with these guys if he wanted to, but it looks too nerdy to his base.  And he's not attending for fear of  being heckled or boo'd, the audience is being purposely filled with graduate-degree seeking students who belong to any one of 3 centre-right institutes on campus.  But these are smart kids and the usual bullshit spewed from Abbott may not be with heckling, but it certainly won't be met with the enthusiastic applause he's used to.  I may go to pick up chicks.  

On 11/18/2022 at 8:36 PM, tx 3 putt said:

trump doesn't want a wheelchair on the ticket. he'd look like a loser 

I tend to agree with you but think how much easier it will be for Trump's MAGA horde to catch Hot Wheels and hang him during the next insurrection. Pence proved much more elusive.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

"Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that on the final day of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "Greg, you dumb son-of-bitch, those weren't your footprints
Did you not also see the pair of wheelprints? And that they abruptly ended at I-35?
When you saw only one set of footprints between two wheelprints
It was then that I was pushing your dumbass into traffic."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

55 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah, let’s not allow the military to require vaccinations of soldiers you dumb fucking cunts 

It's remarkable.  We need a vaccine against stupidity.  Abou 2 minutes of googling let me to the following list of vaccines required for military service, which (along with covid-19) seems eminently reasonable, given our need for readiness combined with close quarter living, etc.:

• Adenovirus
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Influenza
  • Measles, mumps, rubella
  • Meningococcal
  • Poliovirus
  • Tetanus-Diphtheria
  • Varicella

Others are required depending on area of deployment.  Sure, let's weaponize the covid vaccine because . . . Hunter Biden!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Our governor has now done more to regulate Tik-Tok than to prevent the next Uvalde.

Totally get what you're saying and don't disagree with your premise, but I don't have a problem with this particular move given what I know about the security concerns with TikTok.