Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

• 2 weeks later...

It is an interesting event to witness.  I even sat in the snow/freezing temps for Perry's in 2009 because my cousin scored some closeup seats.  There'll be plenty of people in the back protesting so don't feel too guilty sticking around.  The pageantry is for our whole state, not just this guy.  

Plus the lunch afterwards is always phenomenal.  This year it's like a "Taste of Texas" food court with a dozen restaurants of all different genres from across the state.  His last two galas were at Palmer (one was with Clint Black IIRC, some country legend who actually put on a really good show and that's not my cup of tea).  But they had to curtain about 1/2 of it off to make it look fuller.  I think they're done with that plus he's not terribly popular even by GOP standards so they moved it to ACL Live downtown which is much more intimate.  If I was still drinking, I'd go---the booze flows quite freely at those things.  But sober with Greg Abbott, and more importantly---his kraken of loyal followers?  No thanks.  Actually, there are a few friends and family I'd like to see...but then I remembered Dan Patrick will also be there.  So no.  God no.  I am gonna take my kids to his inaugural mass at Saint Mary's though on Monday.  I need more god in my life this year anyway.  May as well show them something different.  

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Can people show up and ‘boo’ ?

I have an acquaintance who is thinking about borrowing a wheel chair and bringing it and carrying a sign that says "I stand with Greg Abbott", which would normally be extremely tacky, but when you consider how shitty Abbott is towards people like him who had serious accidents, and how much he worked to make sure they wouldn't get the same payout that he did, and how shitty he is to those born in the same country as his wife's grandparents....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Abbott's inauguration is on Tuesday. Open to the public at the Capitol. 

I'd actually love to go because I feel like it would be a cool event to witness. But I don't know that I could stand the sight of that guy or give the illusion that I'm there in support. 

Fuck that and fuck him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I have an acquaintance who is thinking about borrowing a wheel chair and bringing it and carrying a sign that says "I stand with Greg Abbott", which would normally be extremely tacky, 

Tacky?  Fuck tacky.  I'll pay the rent on the wheelchair if he'll do it.  That's hilarious.

Heard on the news this morning about a bill that would restrict companies and citizens of foreign countries, specifically China, Iran, North Korea (?), and Russia from purchasing land in Texas.  In light of what has happened in places like Vancouver, where foreign companies and citizens have bumrushed the real estate market, making it difficult for Canadians to buy homes, this really doesn't sound like that bad of an idea.  What am I missing?  Because surely I'm missing something.  Abbott doesn't do good things for this state.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Heard on the news this morning about a bill that would restrict companies and citizens of foreign countries, specifically China, Iran, North Korea (?), and Russia from purchasing land in Texas.  In light of what has happened in places like Vancouver, where foreign companies and citizens have bumrushed the real estate market, making it difficult for Canadians to buy homes, this really doesn't sound like that bad of an idea.  What am I missing?  Because surely I'm missing something.  Abbott doesn't do good things for this state.

So immigrants can't buy land now?  Seems pretty xenophobic.  

42 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Most of the housing markets in this state are among the most affordable in the country.

17 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

So immigrants can't buy land now?  Seems pretty xenophobic.  

From what I understand, it's not barring immigrants.  Just foreign companies and citizens (who are not planning on becoming citizens) from buying land as investments from outside the country.

From what I understand, it's not barring immigrants.  Just foreign companies and citizens (who are not planning on becoming citizens) from buying land as investments from outside the country.

Cool. So, what happens when Large Agribusiness Inc, which writes LOTS of fat checks to the gov, owns thousands of acres of land, and is publicly traded, ends up majority owned by a foreign sovereign fund? Or hell, even when a private business that owns land wants to sell to a foreign sovereign fund? Even if all I own is my HQ building, can Brisket’s Tech Co sell to an enterprise that is majority foreign owned?
This is a stunt, which is all our state govt knows how to do.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Cool. So, what happens when Large Agribusiness Inc, which writes LOTS of fat checks to the gov, owns thousands of acres of land, and is publicly traded, ends up majority owned by a foreign sovereign fund? Or hell, even when a private business that owns land wants to sell to a foreign sovereign fund? Even if all I own is my HQ building, can Brisket’s Tech Co sell to an enterprise that is majority foreign owned?

This is why I was asking.  Yes, those all seem problematic.

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

We really need to also regulate corporate ownership of residential housing. That's a HUGE driver of the housing crisis

i don't mind small time investment rental properties. hell, i'd love to have the headaches of a small time landlord as someone buys me a house. i dont know where the line is but 10 properties feels about right. i could be argued off that number to another. but at some point, when we are talking affordable housing, we also need to talk about local ownership.

i don't have the solution, but corporate cash buyers are fucking this market sideways.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

subject to the definition of 'foreign business,' in iowa they'd have to sell it or convert it to non-agricultural land within 5 years.

Edited by elfenix

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Uh, thread aside...we need to talk about your buddy/mentee.  Up and got engaged and getting married toot sweet.  This will actually, literally, have an effect on local and state GOP politics.  talk soon...

The DMN editorial board has called on Abbott/Republicans to join the civilized world (including most red Southern states) and expand Medicaid in Texas. This comes on the hills of a major endorsement of the ACA by Texans:

Texas is cutting into its uninsured problem with nearly 570,000 new signups for affordable health plans for 2023 — a nation-leading growth rate for the third straight year.

The newly insured pushed Texas over the 2.4 million mark for residents seeking coverage on HealthCare.gov during the open enrollment period that ended Jan. 15, according to federal data.

That’s a record high for the Lone Star State and more than double the total from three years ago. Texans’ enrollment grew 31% compared with 12.4% nationwide.

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Someone shove a stick in his wheels, please …

It's embarrassing that he went to UT and it's embarrassing that I used to be a Republican.

But holy fuck that's dumb as hell - he's trying to act like he's protecting all Texans by banning it (party of small government, yo!), but instead is just keeping it off of state networks, which is within his jurisdiction.

But a bunch of dumbass Texans are going to believe he's actually banned it in the state.

• Hook 'Em 1