Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/uvalde-mom-destroyed-loss-only-015320185.html

"Rodriguez, who went from planning her daughter’s future to planning her funeral all in the same week, says that even amid her blinding grief, she can see Gov. Greg Abbott’s refusal to even consider stronger gun laws in the aftermath of Tuesday’s tragedy for what it is, inexcusable.

“He is an absolute embarrassment to Texas,” she says of the two-term Republican governor who’s heading into an election against Democratic challenger Beto O’Rourke, the former U.S. Representative who interrupted an Abbott press conference Wednesday to call the tragedy “totally predictable” due to lax gun regulation."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

I would not be disappointed if every last resident of the entire Uvalde area showed up and booed his sorry ass to the point that he had to leave in shame.  Let him take all his NRA donations and donate them to the community to just make a miniscule dent in the damage he has helped cause.

4 minutes ago, AnTiM said:

I would not be disappointed if every last resident of the entire Uvalde area showed up and booed his sorry ass to the point that he had to leave in shame.  Let him take all his NRA donations and donate them to the community to just make a miniscule dent in the damage he has helped cause.

Odds are his team are looking for that potential and will close off his talks if needed. Besides Abbott isn’t about taking questions but rather just talking to a camera.

13 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I hope they throw bags of piss at him.  Or, have paint brushes w/ red paint to splatter all over him. 

This would only happen if outside people went to uvalde. Small towns can have an almost unhealthy respect for anyone in authority.

then again, it’s very likely Biden will be met with boos and trump flags when he travels there Sunday.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This would only happen if outside people went to uvalde. Small towns can have an almost unhealthy respect for anyone in authority.

then again, it’s very likely Biden will be met with boos and trump flags when he travels there Sunday.

That might have been shattered a bit when the cops were tazing the unarmed parents as the gunman killed their kids.    

• Rage+1 2

Abbott’s press conference in Uvalde was pretty embarrassing. I mean, it’s great that they’re going to provide services to the grieving families and others in the community who were impacted by this tragedy. Providing them with a competent police force would be nice. On the question of universal background checks he cited anecdotal evidence of a couple shootings where, in one case, the shooter used his father’s gun so a background check wouldn’t have stopped him. In another the background check was botched. So no use for background checks, I guess, if they’re not 100% reliable to stop all mass shootings.

He also brought up the mental health issue, a favorite defense on the right. Of course, mental health issues aren’t a uniquely American problem, too many guns is. But Abbott didn’t point out that he cut $211 Million from the State’s mental health care budget.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna30557

UVALDE, Texas — Gov. Greg Abbott said Wednesday that the Uvalde school shooter had a "mental health challenge" and the state needed to "do a better job with mental health" — yet in April he slashed $211 million from the department that oversees mental health programs.

In addition, Texas ranked last out of all 50 states and the District of Columbia for overall access to mental health care, according to the 2021 State of Mental Health in America report. 

And then there were a lot of shouts of, essentially, ‘Wait, what?!’ when he ended the presser and wheeled off the stage leaving questions unanswered. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Lmfao “I was misled, I’m livid” while the rest of non texags world just looks at him ‘no shit bro, they lie about everything’. To do it on a world stage and be made within 72 hours though, that part is truly impressive. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Our power grid system is a Republican wet dream - it is literally their dream system. It killed hundreds of Texans.

Our gun laws are the spawn of an orgy of Republican “I love guns more than you” oneupmanship - and they’re racking up a hellacious body count.

Decades of GQP leadership is literally killing us. Bodies stacking up like cordwood. And we fucking REWARD THEM.

There's nobody for us to blame but ourselves. We're the ones voting in these motherfuckers.

• Hook 'Em 1

We are a failed state. Texas is dominated by idiots. We get dead kids, no power when it is 80 outside and total subsidy of companies that don't do shit to support this state beyond offering shit jobs while we pay for all of it in dollars and blood. Born and raised here and I am embarrassed by what a joke we have allowed this great state to become. A real texan wouldn't have let drump cross our boarders. Fuck them all for making me vote for the liberals. What a slap in the face.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Bookman said:

There's nobody for us to blame but ourselves. We're the ones voting in these motherfuckers.

Correct. The problem is the majority or people keep eating shit and asking for more. 

Although it’s usually some version of 

“I’m socially liberal but fiscally conservative”

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Correct. The problem is the majority or people keep eating shit and asking for more. 

Although it’s usually some version of 

“I’m socially liberal but fiscally conservative”

I have less of a problem with the last statement but I wager that my idea of fiscally conservative is not what is meant. I have little problem in investing in human capital as long as the program is sound and yields results. For example, budgeting funds for programs that keep young children fed, early childhood care and education, workplace training for young mothers who had schooling interrupted, and on and on...these types of investment can (in the right hands) have measurable goals and objectives as long as the State is committed to actually measuring these goals in a real way. Too often, the data gets distorted (various reasons) but if something isn't working, then sit down and plan it better (which should have been done in the first place). How many people will this affect in a positive way? What outcome do you want to see achieved? How will you get there? Is it possible to measure this? If not, then you need to sit down and think some more.

Or eldercare or mental health care or children with special needs or any one of the numerous areas that are important for Texans of all ages, genders, and abilities to live healthy fulfilled lives.

All that money that Abbott diverted to the border, all the Guardsmen that he pulled away to go down there for his political stunt. Big cost but at what return for Texans? Abbott wants to eliminate abortion, but puts no money into HHS nor will he fund any of the programs to enable women and men to have reproductive choices or to even learn in school how reproduction works.

Pretty sad.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

It would help if Democrats would nominate someone other than Lupe Valdez.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This right here.  She was a shit candidate.  

Clap Yes GIF by Jasmine Star

That is still stunning.  Democrats weren't exactly nominating the best of candidates prior to her, but holy shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

All that money that Abbott diverted to the border, all the Guardsmen that he pulled away to go down there for his political stunt. Big cost but at what return for Texans?

I know of multiple folks in the National Guard who probably won't be sticking around when their time is up.  They are not happy about being used for political stunts to help Greg Abbot at the polls, they don't like the impact it has on their personal lives, their careers, their businesses, etc.   They understand deploying in support of a threat against the United States or a natural disaster that affects their fellow Texans/Americans.  They don't understand deploying because Abbott has to be tougher on the border than Huffines or Trump or DeSantis.

No member of the Texas National Guard signed up for Greg Abbott's campaign when they joined the NG or transferred in. Not a single one.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Abbott acts like Texas can solve it's "border crisis" on its own.
He's been Governor or Attorney General for 20 years.
Republicans have been Governor of Texas for 27 years straight.
Republicans have been Attorney General for 23 years straight.\
How many more fucking decades do these people need to solve all of Texas's problems?

Well there was a time when Texas R worked with Mexico on it. GW and Perry both did. But some orange man changed the mindset
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Why is there a big BEVO Longhorn emblem on the promo at the NRA convention in Houston?  Sure looks like our BEVO.

Probably the same reason we have an institute for liberty or whatever that stupid shit was called

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

It would help if Democrats would nominate someone other than Lupe Valdez.

Which begs the question. Why would Texans who vote for Paxton and Patrick think Lupe Valdez is a bridge too far?

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You're not voting for her.  You're voting against the irredeemable assholes.

No shit. Who gives a fuck if she’s not any good. She doesn’t support the murder of children, or the downfall of democracy 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

You're not voting for her.  You're voting against the irredeemable assholes.

Are you new to planet earth?

Political elections are mostly about marketing. She was the Sheriff of Dallas county when she ran for governor. Nobody knew who she was and was severely lacking personality and support while running against an incumbent.

In order to convince people to vote against an incumbent you need their attention. She had nobody's attention.

Edited by F250

48 minutes ago, F250 said:

Are you new to planet earth?

Political elections are mostly about marketing. She was the Sheriff of Dallas county when she ran for governor. Nobody knew who she was and was severely lacking personality and support while running against an incumbent.

In order to convince people to vote against an incumbent you need their attention. She had nobody's attention.

It's like you missed the 2020 Presidential election.

Edited by Beau Vine

13 hours ago, bangkok said:

i mentioned this in another thread, but felt compelled to document the absurdity of this here too.

"it could have been worse"

a damning statement that was meant to somehow comfort, presumably.

abbot's a fairly well-spoken piece of shit.

"it could have been worse" recognizes the access to assault weapons is easy enough, and that mass-murder is accessible enough, that anyone could do it, even on a loss of life scale far beyond 19 kids.

so fuck, yea, it could be so much worse, we all know that.

but hey, let's take a moment to appreciate only 19 kids were murdered, guys. we got lucky, it could have been worse. i've set up things to make it easy as fuck to murder as many as one might want. 19?

it could have been worse.

and you know, we're "free" enough, that it could have quite easily been 100+, and our law enforcement, well, they showed up, at least. and you guys can use those ar-15's for dove season or whatever.

no need to concern ourselves with a situation where just 19 kids were murdered, no need for any changes. prayers, whatever, yea we can do that and act like we give a shit.

so where's the fundraiser tonight?

so, until it gets worse, we won't give a shit. oh and when it does, we won't give a shit either, as long as the money flows and the idiots with a tainted 2nd amendment view and nra keeps me in power. 

goddammit, the absurdity - texas, one of the dumbest fucking states.

Texas is a case study in why extended one-party rule fails, no matter what the party is. You end up with mediocrities running a self-licking ice cream cone. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Satchel said:

Which begs the question. Why would Texans who vote for Paxton and Patrick think Lupe Valdez is a bridge too far?

I voted for Collier and whoever ran against Paxton.  I held my nose and voted for Abbott.  He wasn't as horrible in 2018 and had seemed to ignore a lit of Patrick's crazy.  Shockingly enough, the Houston Chronicle endorsed him.

If I were still in Texas, I'd vote Beto, Collier, and whoever is running against Paxton.  Hopefully a shitload of Texans do too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Look at all the worthless bags of shit on that stage. 19 dead children, and they all jump at an opportunity for a photo op. 

You know when Abbott puts on the fishing shirt he’s really ready to get down to work. Limp legged fucking clown. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3