Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

I appreciate everyone going out of their way to disclose their private health information to confirm that they are in Group 1B.  But honestly, at this point--fuck it.  Abbott has just made it pretty fucking clear that it is every man for himself.

Go out to Amarillo.  They have so much vaccine out there they can't give it away fast enough.  They're swimming in the shit.  So while people in Austin and Dallas can't book an appointment to (literally) save their lives, all you need to do is walk up in Amarillo.

I'm sure it will not shock you to hear that Potter County voted for Trump 68%-29%.  I'm sure that has nothing to do with why Amarillo is getting so much vaccine.

Of course, the people on this board can do that because we are generally pretty affluent.  We can take time off work to we can afford to book a flight out to Amarillo ($169 each way on Southwest).  But if you're poor; if you're an "essential" worker (which means you get no healthcare and we don't want to raise your minimum wage to $15/hour), you're right fucked.  And of course, that probably means your non-white.  And that's really part of the goal here, isn't it--to kill as many non-white people as possible.

And yeah--I just accused Greg Abbott of attempting genocide.  And on the evidence before us, can anybody argue that the allegation is misplaced?

To be fair to Greg Abbott, the entire GOP is attempting genocide.

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I agree with you.  I dislike Cuomo immensely, and have been very vocal about my criticisms of him and ole Warren Wilhelm Jr. (i.e. Bill deBlasio), but this is Trump level stupidity from Abbott.  

It is being caused by 2 things.  

1.  Trying to distract from the abject failure during the winter storm, and the ongoing mess from that

2.  Proving his "Conservative" bonafides to the GQP as it goes harder left thanks to asshats like Patrick and Allen West.  

Democrats in Texas need to reach out to Stacey Abrahms and get tips.  They also need to do some serious grass roots messaging NOW.

quote:
Governor Greg Abbott has announced he's re-opening businesses in Texas 100% and removing the mask mandate.

TX is LAST in per capita vaccinations. 93.5% of the state has not yet been fully vaccinated. Don't ever let a republican tell you they're "pro-life" again.

quote:
Governor Abbott’s failure to listen to science and medical advice will cost Texans their lives. This decision is reckless and dangerous—and a desperate distraction from the Governor’s dereliction of duty during the power outages. He’s putting politics above the people of Texas.

quote:
This virus has killed more than 40,000 Texans. @GregAbbott_TX's response? Ignore health professionals, attack mask rules, & endanger lives to score political points. Locally, we must continue wearing masks & caring for our sick, despite the cowardice of our governor.

quote:
This fool is opening Texas 100% and ending the statewide mask mandate, literally against scientific guidance, JUST SAY YOU WANT PEOPLE TO DIE, GREG

quote:
He's reopening Texas "100 percent" and people are going to die.

quote:
At best, this is wishful thinking, that COVID is somehow less dangerous than it was yesterday. At worst, it is a cynical attempt to distract Texans from the failures of state oversight of our power grid.

quote:
Texas lifting COVID restrictions pains me deeply. A distraction from deadly winter storms, it will likely be popular. But best science says it's far too soon. We're so close. Vaccines bring hope. Hope. Remember that? Can we please not spike footballs before we hit the end zone?

quote:
Texas 100%. I think Texas just seceded from the USA. They are doing their own thing and ppl have died due to Abbott's policies. Texas you are on your own now. Watch your COVID numbers spike, just watch. If I lived in Texas, I'd be packing my house and move the frick away.
  • Rage+1 1

Abbott just following the rules of the Death Cult. This report by the Lancet Commission on Public Policy and Health in the Trump Era (of Republican Leadership) assesses the repercussions of President Donald Trump's (and his idolators) health-related policies and examines the failures and social schisms that enabled his election:

Spoiler

• Trump exploited low and middle-income white people's anger over their deteriorating life prospects to mobilise racial animus and xenophobia and enlist their support for policies that benefit high-income people and corporations and threaten health.
  • His signature legislative achievement, a trillion-dollar tax cut for corporations and high-income individuals, opened a budget hole that he used to justify cutting food subsidies and health care.
  • His appeals to racism, nativism, and religious bigotry have emboldened white nationalists and vigilantes, and encouraged police violence and, at the end of his term in office, insurrection.
  • He chose judges for US courts who are dismissive of affirmative action and reproductive, labour, civil, and voting rights; ordered the mass detention of immigrants in hazardous conditions; and promulgated regulations that reduce access to abortion and contraception in the USA and globally.
  • Although his effort to repeal the Affordable Care Act failed, he weakened its coverage and increased the number of uninsured people by 2·3 million, even before the mass dislocation of the COVID-19 pandemic, and has accelerated the privatisation of government health programmes.
  • Trump's hostility to environmental regulations has already worsened pollution—resulting in more than 22 000 extra deaths in 2019 alone—hastened global warming, and despoiled national monuments and lands sacred to Native people.
  • Disdain for science and cuts to global health programmes and public health agencies have impeded the response to the COVID-19 pandemic, causing tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths, and imperil advances against HIV and other diseases.
  • And Trump's bellicose trade, defence, and foreign policies have led to economic disruption and threaten an upswing in armed conflict.

The global COVID-19 pandemic has had a disproportionate effect on the USA, with more than 26 million diagnosed cases and over 450 000 deaths as of early February, 2021, about 40% of which could have been averted had the US death rate mirrored the weighted average of the other G7 nations.

Many of the cases and deaths were avoidable. Instead of galvanising the US populace to fight the pandemic, President Trump publicly dismissed its threat (despite privately acknowledging it), discouraged action as infection spread, and eschewed international cooperation. His refusal to develop a national strategy worsened shortages of personal protective equipment and diagnostic tests. President Trump politicised mask-wearing and school reopenings and convened indoor events attended by thousands, where masks were discouraged and physical distancing was impossible.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32545-9/fulltext

• Rage+1 3

40 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

They added a bunch of slots in the last hour, more than I've seen  in a week.  I got an appointment for Thursday.  Unfortunately, it's in La Vernia.

I asked this in the DT vaccine thread too, but what are you guys that are in your 40-50s saying in order to get an appointment?  I'm ready to get this jab now that we're going full dumbass again with mitigation. 

Edited by The Royal We
  • Hook 'Em 2

The people who love this announcement missed an important detail, more businesses will close because of this, not fewer.  All the federal, state, and local grants, forgivable loans, all the landlords and banks giving forbearance, all the pity stories, all the resting of rents, etc.  That was all based on either lockdowns or restrictions so severe-the business couldn't bother to open since the overhead would eat any revenue.  Now, their only excuse is "business was slow this month".  And the only reply they'll get back is "Fuck you, pay me."  Bunch more shit just went under in May.  Way to go Greg! 

55 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It was tongue in cheek.  I'm asthmatic.  He said he's had dozens of patients with less-controlled asthma turned down.  I assume if you claim an illness that doesn't meet the standard,  you are rejected.

So, it basically comes down to lying on the form.

Jimmy, my asthma is well controlled. I use a rescue inhaler like 3x a year.  My asthma doctor still gave me a note. And no one asked anyway....

8 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I asked this in the DT vaccine thread too, but what are you guys that are in your 40-50s saying in order to get an appointment?  I ready to get this jab now that we're going full dumbass again with mitigation. 

Three points on this:

1) The definition of 1B is so broad that I think most people in their 40s and 50s fall into it.  I mean, maybe I just have a uniquely unhealthy circle of friends, but most of my friends have either gotten their first shot or are scheduled to do so in the next week or two.

2) Regardless, it's not like anybody is doing any screening.  Even in places in which they purport to do screening, they're just taking your word for it.  Happily, I don't think a whole lot of people are out there lying--they don't really need to because the criteria are so broad.  But there's not much to stop you from doing so.

3) And even if you're legitimately not in 1B, as I pointed out before, they're giving the jab to anyone who shows up in Amarillo and Odessa (and probably other places I don't know about).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Yeah before I found that HEB slot in Lockhart, I was absolutely planning to take a drive up to Midland and get it there, where they are having trouble finding people in any group to get it done.  10 hours in the car in two separate trips seemed like a small price to pay and I would've happily paid it had I not found something closer.  But to LL's point.  I am (and we are as a whole on this site) pretty fucking lucky that we're in a position where we can organize our lives around getting this stuff and we have the technological know how to make it happen.  There are a whole bunch of people who don't.  

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Three points on this:

1) The definition of 1B is so broad that I think most people in their 40s and 50s fall into it.  I mean, maybe I just have a uniquely unhealthy circle of friends, but most of my friends have either gotten their first shot or are scheduled to do so in the next week or two.

2) Regardless, it's not like anybody is doing any screening.  Even in places in which they purport to do screening, they're just taking your word for it.  Happily, I don't think a whole lot of people are out there lying--they don't really need to because the criteria are so broad.  But there's not much to stop you from doing so.

3) And even if you're legitimately not in 1B, as I pointed out before, they're giving the jab to anyone who shows up in Amarillo and Odessa (and probably other places I don't know about).

I am in that age group and it seems I have a lot of friends that have gotten their shots but unfortunately I am too healthy.  I don't have any underlying issues like diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc... Shit, even my BMI doesn't make me eligible and my ass is far from skinny and borderline fat.  My wife and I are waiting our turn and we keep hearing stories of friends with no health issues just "hearing" about some place that has shots and they run and go get them.  My niece at UT signed up with all of her 20 year old friends and get their first shots this week.  They system is fucked if I am forced to fly to Amarillo to get a shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Go out to Amarillo.  They have so much vaccine out there they can't give it away fast enough.  They're swimming in the shit.  So while people in Austin and Dallas can't book an appointment to (literally) save their lives, all you need to do is walk up in Amarillo.

This is absolutely true.  They don't ask you  any qualifying questions.  People are flying/ driving in JUST to get immunized.

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I am in that age group and it seems I have a lot of friends that have gotten their shots but unfortunately I am too healthy.  I don't have any underlying issues like diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc... Shit, even my BMI doesn't make me eligible and my ass is far from skinny and borderline fat.  My wife and I are waiting our turn and we keep hearing stories of friends with no health issues just "hearing" about some place that has shots and they run and go get them.  My niece at UT signed up with all of her 20 year old friends and get their first shots this week.  They system is fucked if I am forced to fly to Amarillo to get a shot.

This is Texas.  We can't run an electricity grid--something that runs on century-old technology.  What the fuck would make you think that we could develop a system to vaccinate the entire population?

We're last in per-capita vaccinations.  We're Texas.  Incompetence is our brand now.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

9 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

i don't know of a single person who has been asked to verify they are 1A or 1B when they get an appointment, be it Dallas County or Parker County or Collin County.  healthy ass 30 year olds are getting the vaccine on standby lists, and the hospitals are happy that somebody is receiving it rather than chucking it.

it should be open season on getting vaccines now.  

in Amarillo and Odessa, they're so MAGA, they're probably having a hard time using up the vaccines.  i'm guessing all the locals who wanted to get the vaccine have already received it.  so now they're just sitting on a stockpile that no Trumper wants.  if i hadn't already received the first dose, i'd go there on a Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Three points on this:

Thanks.

Are you friends with a bunch of fats?  Maybe I'm looking at a more narrow definition of 1B, or I'm not putting enough weight on "including but not limited to" before the list of conditions that would qualify for 1B.  I take a statin every day for high cholesterol - would that be enough?

27 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I asked this in the DT vaccine thread too, but what are you guys that are in your 40-50s saying in order to get an appointment?  I'm ready to get this jab now that we're going full dumbass again with mitigation. 

I'm legally 1B, but there was nothing on the HEB site to verify this and once I booked, it didn't tell me to bring proof of 1B status or anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

1) The definition of 1B is so broad that I think most people in their 40s and 50s fall into it. 

1B in Texas:

65+ or

People 16 years old and older with at least one chronic medical condition that puts them at increased risk for severe illness from the coronavirus, including but not limited to:

• Cancer
  • Chronic kidney disease
  • COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
  • Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease or cardiomyopathies
  • Solid organ transplantation
  • Obesity and severe obesity (body mass index of 30 kg/m2 or higher)
  • Pregnancy
  • Sickle cell disease
  • Type 2 diabetes mellitus

Damn that is broad in Texas.  Only a 30 BMI in Texas?  Need a 40+ BMI to qualify in California.

California 1B is much tighter:

• Cancer, current with debilitated or immunocompromised state
  • Chronic kidney disease, stage 4 or above
  • Chronic pulmonary disease,  oxygen dependent
  • Down syndrome
  • Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant
  • Pregnancy
  • Sickle cell disease
  • Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies (excludes hypertension)
  • Severe obesity (Body Mass Index ≥ 40 kg/m2)
  • Type 2 diabetes mellitus with hemoglobin A1c level greater than 7.5%

_________

Sounds like dog eat dog in Texas.  Good luck to all.

Edited by washparkhorn

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm legally 1B, but there was nothing on the HEB site to verify this and once I booked, it didn't tell me to bring proof of 1B status or anything.

My niece at UT who is 20 signed up online and it asked if you are 1a or 1b and she checked the "no" box and it still gave her an appointment.  WTF

Just now, dingleberryswitzer said:

Are we sure?  I keep seeing data showing a large percentage of republicans are not planning on getting the vaccine.  Maybe that’s why Amarillo has extra. 

I was talking more generally about all of the different ways they're trying to kill the rest of us. 

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

My niece at UT who is 20 signed up online and it asked if you are 1a or 1b and she checked the "no" box and it still gave her an appointment.  WTF

She must have sent the Jpegs...

5 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

My MIL went to the official Harris County website and put her information in and told them she did not have any underlying conditions. She got an appointment the next day. If you can get an appointment, just get one. 

20 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Anyone?

on the CVS site that don't ask you anything

20 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Fucking great, another border state.  Where you at Arkansas?

Louisiana is worse on deaths per million and cases per million than Texas so you're not doing better.

44 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I appreciate everyone going out of their way to disclose their private health information to confirm that they are in Group 1B.  But honestly, at this point--fuck it.  Abbott has just made it pretty fucking clear that it is every man for himself.

I'm sure it will not shock you to hear that Potter County voted for Trump 68%-29%.  I'm sure that has nothing to do with why Amarillo is getting so much vaccine.

Of course, the people on this board can do that because we are generally pretty affluent.  We can take time off work to we can afford to book a flight out to Amarillo ($169 each way on Southwest).  But if you're poor; if you're an "essential" worker (which means you get no healthcare and we don't want to raise your minimum wage to $15/hour), you're right fucked.  And of course, that probably means your non-white.  And that's really part of the goal here, isn't it--to kill as many non-white people as possible.

And yeah--I just accused Greg Abbott of attempting genocide.  And on the evidence before us, can anybody argue that the allegation is misplaced?

I don't think he should life the mask mandate but you're being a tad bit hyperbolic. 

I just tried to get an appt at Kroger in Nacogdoches.  I put in my age, it asked me if I was a health care worker (nope), do you work in a LTC facility (nope) = "In this area, COVID-19 vaccines are reserved for other individuals at high risk for COVID-19. Check back frequently for eligibility updates!"

I'm going to try CVS and a few other places not too far away that have it.

Wife was 1c, I was borderline 1b/1c.  She was offered vaccine early because she's also a Speech Therapist for at-risk groups, and was the former Chair of the Foundation of a major hospital group.  But she's a kind soul so she didn't want to take the shot from someone else.  I was gonna just wait until 1c and let the more vulnerable go before us.  Had a half dozen other ways to cut the line early, but believe it or not...offline-I have some integrity.  

Then a few days ago, ran into my neighbor and his former Chief of Staff at the grocery store and he intimated this might be happening.  So wife were up at 4:30am yesterday and today to just grab the first shots we could and tell the rest of the state to pick better leaders next time.  We're hopefully going Thursday afternoon for shot #1.  Sorry, wasn't my idea to turn a simple vaccination in the fucking Hunger Games, but here we are.  

Edited by Lobo

48 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Couldn’t wait a couple fucking months?

No, he really couldn't.  He needs businesses booming now to change the narrative from how he royally fucked up the deep freeze and a bunch of people died.  And this time when a bunch of people die he can blame it on Biden for not getting the vaccines out fast enough.  If he waited two months, he'd miss that window, not to mention that his personal investments might not go up as much as they could have.  And is there really anything more important than that?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Thanks.

Are you friends with a bunch of fats?  Maybe I'm looking at a more narrow definition of 1B, or I'm not putting enough weight on "including but not limited to" before the list of conditions that would qualify for 1B.  I take a statin every day for high cholesterol - would that be enough?

Well, let's be super-honest here--30 BMI isn't really that fat.  It's definitely overweight.  But it's not Trumpian in proportion.  

But actually--I do have one friend who falls into that category because he's in the gym every fucking day.  The dude is ripped and has a 32 BMI (at least according to him).  I would suspect his body fat is below 10%.  Whatever.

In any event, I think you're not putting enough weight on the "including but not limited to" language.  If you're on a statin every day for your cholesterol, are you also on HBP meds?  Because I think that definitely gets you in.  There is actually good science out there that high blood pressure--even controlled by medication--is a serious comorbidity.

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Wife was 1c, I was borderline 1b/1c.  She was offered vaccine early because she's also a Speech Therapist and was the former Chair of the Foundation of a major hospital group.  But she's a kind soul so she didn't want to take the shot from someone else.  I was gonna just wait until 1c and let the more vulnerable go before us.  Had a half dozen other ways to cut the line early, but believe it or not...offline-I have some integrity.  

Then a few days ago, ran into my neighbor and his former Chief of Staff at the grocery store and he intimated this might be happening.  So wife were up at 4:30am yesterday and today to just grab the first shots we could and tell the rest of the state to pick better leaders next time.  We're hopefully going Thursday afternoon for shot #1.  Sorry, wasn't my idea to turn a simple vaccination in the fucking Hunger Games, but here we are.  

And there's really some justification for this.  Prioritizing people just leads to inefficiencies.  People in the preferred group either can't go at the time it's available or don't want it at all.  Meanwhile, people who want it can't get it because not everyone in the preferred group has gotten it.

Say what you will about chaos, but it has a certain efficiency to it.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Three points on this:

yeah, i said fuck it and booked an appointment at an heb about an hour away. felt a bit guilty saying yes to being in group 1b, but i'm also kind of in full on "fuck it, let's get on with it" mode. that abbott just enabled a bunch of fucking redneck idiots and bar hoppers to go ahead and bathe in covid pushed me over the edge. i have an appointment at 2:00 tomorrow afternoon for pfizer. let's do this.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Louisiana is worse on deaths per million and cases per million than Texas so you're not doing better.

I don't think he should life the mask mandate but you're being a tad bit hyperbolic. 

Is Alabama enforcing the mandate?  We have a mask mandate here in California but who’s really enforcing it?

Find a city close to you that was +20 or better for Trump they will have plenty of excess vaccine capacity. Sign up and go get your vaccine. You’re a health care worker or first responder or teacher and you left your work ID at home. Go get vaccinated 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I mean can we get a state on that list above that has a group of citizens that gives a shit about the mask mandate as well?

The Death Cult is everywhere. 

18 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

He's cherry picking. Add California (hardly a mask wearing nirvana due to the large trump death cult present in the state) and look at the scale. 

https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/?chart=states-normalized&highlight=California&show=highlight-only&y=highlight&scale=linear&data=cases-daily-7&data-source=jhu&xaxis=right-4wk&extra=Alabama%2CTexas%2CMississippi%2CLouisiana%2CFlorida%2CGeorgia%2CCalifornia#states-normalized