Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

12 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

If you’re asking me whether I’d vote for him over pretty much anyone the current Republicans put up the answer is clearly yes.

If you’re asking who of the Democrats I would like to see be governor then I’d say he is not in the top 5.

And yes to answer your specific question (with regard to their private practice and non- political legal careers).

I'm curious what specific knowledge you have of Jenkins' "sleaziness" as a lawyer is?  Or is this just a dig at plaintiffs' lawyers in general? 

Politically, he seems to have been making good calls for a while now.  

4 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

the main question for me is:  can he beat Abbott?  i'll support whoever can actually win.  i don't think Clay has the juice.  but if he did, he'd have my vote.

this is like the 2020 POTUS election.   Biden wasn't in my top 3, but he sure as hell was the only one of the candidates who could beat Trump.  none of the others could win PA or WI or MI.

not sure who the Ds can trot out that could beat Abbott.  McConaughey is probably the only one who could.  

Right now MM is a clearly flawed candidate (assuming he even can seriously be called that).  I'm not aware of him having any managerial/executive experience, and he hasn't (to my knowledge) expressed any views on any policy matters.  At this point, without more, he's pretty much just a familiar face and an attractive, likeable personality.  At least Reagan had an ethos and a platform before he became governor.  Barring some significant PR messaging I don't see him being in the discussion.

Right now MM is a clearly flawed candidate (assuming he even can seriously be called that).  I'm not aware of him having any managerial/executive experience, and he hasn't (to my knowledge) expressed any views on any policy matters.  At this point, without more, he's pretty much just a familiar face and an attractive, likeable personality.  At least Reagan had an ethos and a platform before he became governor.  Barring some significant PR messaging I don't see him being in the discussion.

Counterpoint: you really don’t understand how stupid our current timeline is, do you?
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

Counterpoint, he could swing the suburban MILF vote.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I'm curious what specific knowledge you have of Jenkins' "sleaziness" as a lawyer is?  Or is this just a dig at plaintiffs' lawyers in general? 

Politically, he seems to have been making good calls for a while now.  

I'd rather not dox myself.  Suffice to say I have personal experience that has formed my opinion.  And I agree that politically he has been making good calls.  Remind me when we all get together for beers at the next DFW happy hour/BBQ and I can fill you in if you like.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I'd rather not dox myself.  Suffice to say I have personal experience that has formed my opinion.  And I agree that politically he has been making good calls.  Remind me when we all get together for beers at the next DFW happy hour/BBQ and I can fill you in if you like.

I am looking forward to that beer.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Well a likeable, but unqualified guy is way better than the unqualified ghouls we have. Being unqualified is celebrated by the GQP
  • Like 1

The best chance to take out Abbot is for MM to primary him. Republicans are absolutely the type of people to vote for celebrities even though they project that onto Dems. Trump, Reagan, Arnold, Fred Thompson (mixed career), Sonny Bono.

Jesse Ventura is all over the spectrum. Can’t tie him down. Way more examples on the R side than D.

Edited by StassneyHorn

4 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
16 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Well a likeable, but unqualified guy is way better than the unqualified ghouls we have. Being unqualified is celebrated by the GQP

Username checks out.

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Did he not have the got damn common courtesy to give you a reach around?

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Well that narrows down the field.  Surly, let's get cracking.

A Covert maybe? Potentially fits all the boxes. Rich white trump trash with relatively new money. The Dude I knew was a little league baseball asshole. Stuck all the best players on his sons team. There’s a lot of them too. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Clay is a sleazy ambulance chaser with zero integrity as a lawyer. In my my opinion.

He has made some good calls as county judge but he is not what I would want as a governor. I would take Beto all day over him ignoring electability.

The other thing that irked me about Clay is that he was a lifelong, registered Republican who came out of nowhere as a D candidate for County Judge.  Outspent his opponent from his own pocket.  Neither of those things is fundamentally wrong, but sounded extremely opportunistic at the time. 

There may have been some other things from his campaign/candidacy that irked me, but I have slept and been massively irked by other things since.  I'm irked out.

I'm surprised he's amounted to a hill of shit.  And I probably trust him about as far as I can throw him, but I don't know how big a fella he is.  But he has been good on the pandemic.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

The other thing that irked me about Clay is that he was a lifelong, registered Republican who came out of nowhere as a D candidate for County Judge.  Outspent his opponent from his own pocket.  Neither of those things is fundamentally wrong, but sounded extremely opportunistic at the time. 

There may have been some other things from his campaign/candidacy that irked me, but I have slept and been massively irked by other things since.  I'm irked out.

I'm surprised he's amounted to a hill of shit.

I don’t know the man personally, but lifelong, registered Republican who has flipped to the D’s in the last 5-10 years describes a lot of this board.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I don’t know the man personally, but lifelong, registered Republican who has flipped to the D’s in the last 5-10 years describes a lot of this board.

Including me.  But not 10 years ago.  And it's not uncommon in local politics in D-town.  It just made me immediately suspicious.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Including me.  But not 10 years ago.  And it's not uncommon in local politics in D-town.  It just made me immediately suspicious.

You probably pay more attention to local politics than I do, but a former R who looked at what that party has become and decided to switch teams is ok by me.

Whoah, Whoah, Whoah.  Let's keep this sophisticated.  

Just because I'm no longer on Team-R, doesn't mean I switched to being a Democrat.  I went agnostic in 2016-2018.  I did go all in for Biden because the Trump movement went from being curious to annoying to a serial killer badly in need of a post-third-trimester abortion for 2019-2021.  But I never registered as a Democrat, and I never will.  But I proudly support SOME Democrats around here like Andy Brown, Eddie Rodriguez, and whoever wants to take a shit in Dan Patrick's mouth in 2022.  Maybe Collier?  

As for Abbott, I have to admit---it was tough to see him change over to the dark side.  He's a horribly flawed man, but he believed in rule of law (especially when he was writing them) and I still found him to be a good and decent Texan.  He knows he's intellectually above the Trump movement, the Dan Patricks of the world, the rest of this lump of shit we call the Texas GOP nowadays.  And he stayed up there.  Made some questionable calls in terms of ethics, but I found him to be good people.  He was even being somewhat of a voice of reason into January of this year.  But by February, he had crossed the Rubicon.  

Something, besides Huffhines and West has happened to Abbott.  I don't know what it is.  But I'd like to find out.  

People like Trump, Dan Patrick, and Ted Cruz have always been power-hungry, buckets of walking shit.  They are shit in their core.  They are shit in their bones.  They are decrepit moral wastelands and people only engage them because they need a vehicle to achieve their own evil ends of vitriol and taint sweat.  

Abbott should be to that point by Thanksgiving. 

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Counterpoint, he could swing the suburban MILF vote.

He should commit to going 100% magic mike on the campaign trail. 

Six reasons why Matthew McConaughey is the best in 'Magic Mike' - The  Washington Post 

Would it work? Probably.

Would he be a shitty gov? Probably.

Worse than hot wheels? Not a fucking chance.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Whoah, Whoah, Whoah.  Let's keep this sophisticated.  

Just because I'm no longer on Team-R, doesn't mean I switched to being a Democrat.  I went agnostic in 2016-2018.  I did go all in for Biden because the Trump movement went from being curious to annoying to a serial killer badly in need of a post-third-trimester abortion for 2019-2021.  But I never registered as a Democrat, and I never will.  But I proudly support SOME Democrats around here like Andy Brown, Eddie Rodriguez, and whoever wants to take a shit in Dan Patrick's mouth in 2022.  Maybe Collier?  

As for Abbott, I have to admit---it was tough to see him change over to the dark side.  He's a horribly flawed man, but he believed in rule of law (especially when he was writing them) and I still found him to be a good and decent Texan.  He knows he's intellectually above the Trump movement, the Dan Patricks of the world, the rest of this lump of shit we call the Texas GOP nowadays.  And he stayed up there.  Made some questionable calls in terms of ethics, but I found him to be good people.  He was even being somewhat of a voice of reason into January of this year.  But by February, he had crossed the Rubicon.  

Something, besides Huffhines and West has happened to Abbott.  I don't know what it is.  But I'd like to find out.  

People like Trump, Dan Patrick, and Ted Cruz have always been power-hungry, buckets of walking shit.  They are shit in their core.  They are shit in their bones.  They are decrepit moral wastelands and people only engage them because they need a vehicle to achieve their own evil ends of vitriol and taint sweat.  

Abbott should be to that point by Thanksgiving. 

In the world of politics, you are what your actions say you are. The Abbott Texans have been treated to is a cravenly political opportunist who will do anything, harm anybody, attach himself to any cause that will allow him amass power and win.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

A whole lot of this.  The district is too chickenshit to press charges.  Cool, cool.  Society needs to do the job for them, I guess.  Put his name out there and let the world do its work.

Fucking around.  Finding out.  As the world turns.

I’m guessing the teacher was likely female so there’s no way it was a dude who did it. I’ve sat through countless back to school teacher meetings and 99 percent of the guys there sit there in silence and are probably either checking out the room for hotness or counting the minutes until they can go back home.

On the other hand there is always at least 2-3 moms who just won’t shut up and keep asking questions that could easily be answered in a non group setting. 

Plus if it was a dude they likely would have been arrested and the biggest dumbass trumper even know that. 

• Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, Born to Run said:
20 hours ago, Beau Vine said:
I thought he went to Baylor?

I know a few Baylor grads, some are pretty smart, some are decent humans. I don't know any that are both if I'm honest. Good folks but dumb, or smart shitheads who fuck people regardless of consent.

When me too hit, a classmate from grad school told her date rape story on Facebook but didn’t name names. My wife messaged her and among other things, correctly guessed the perp. It was the Baylor grad.

39 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I’m guessing the teacher was likely female so there’s no way it was a dude who did it. I’ve sat through countless back to school teacher meetings and 99 percent of the guys there sit there in silence and are probably either checking out the room for hotness or counting the minutes until they can go back home.

On the other hand there is always at least 2-3 moms who just won’t shut up and keep asking questions that could easily be answered in a non group setting. 

Plus if it was a dude they likely would have been arrested and the biggest dumbass trumper even know that. 

I am pretty sure it was established the assault was by a female.  One from a kunt of karens.  And living in Eanes they are everywhere.  Driving their LR or the Mercedes gangster wagon.  Every once in a while a poor will drive a burban.  

But yeah so typical of Eanes to roll up in the fetal position when something bad happens on campus.  Their default mode is deflect and ignore, or failing that appoint someone to do some DEI work.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

I am pretty sure it was established the assault was by a female.  One from a kunt of karens.  And living in Eanes they are everywhere.  Driving their LR or the Mercedes gangster wagon.  Every once in a while a poor will drive a burban.  

But yeah so typical of Eanes to roll up in the fetal position when something bad happens on campus.  Their default mode is deflect and ignore, or failing that appoint someone to do some DEI work.  

Circling the wagons, ignore it as best you can, and wait for the storm to blow over has been such a part of Austin for so long I know of nothing else. It’s not just a westlake/eanes thing. 

• Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, C-Man said:

The school district has no doubt asked the teacher to not file charges and has either threatened his/her employment or “made it worth their while” to not contact authorities and/or press charges.

While I understand the sentiment that is not not likely what is going on here.

What is going on is a time honored truism that is ingrained in the town, to not make waves. Keep all that under the radar. And move on.

After all this town had one of the first serial killers with the servant girls annihilator, never solved, one of the first mass murderers with Charles Whitman on top of the tower, most people couldn’t name that it happened here on a bet (See the scene from full metal jacket, “none of you dumbasses know”) one of the most heinous murders ever with the 1991 yogurt shop murders, still unsolved despite DNA evidence,  the guy who flew a plan into the IRS building, Alex Jones spouting out much bullshit getting his start on Austin Public TV, etc. 

And yet is Austin branded or known for any of that? No. It’s all just quietly swept under the rug and times marches on and Austin keeps on becoming greater and greater.

Trust me I’m not complaining. My property value keeps going up astronomically. It’s just a fact though.

Edited by JimmyJames

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Abbott is hanging out with the olds.

Huffines is hanging out with the....?

He looks like a monkey puppet hand-carved from an apple. UnpaintedHuffines will be Texas' next governor, known for controlling immigration by hiring cartel gunmen as roving foederati units in the border counties.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2