Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/texas/gov-abbott-tiktok-cartels-use-app-recruiting/269-46ce7e80-9fbf-4a6f-8228-41e22f170a70

Gov. Abbott said that, as a result, Texas is the victim of drug distribution and human trafficking, and that now cartels are using TikTok to recruit smugglers.

"TikTok should be ashamed, condemned and have a legal action brought against it for promoting human trafficking in Texas and the United States of America," said Abbott.

This state is so fucking embarrassing.  

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

Yeah, and the stores that sell these devices that use big tech comms companies?  Why are they absolved from scrutiny?  And the real estate companies that lease space to them?  

And what about dead drops?  Those should be illegal.  You can't just leave information somewhere for somebody in some park that has details about when the next shipment of drugs or people is coming across the border.  

4 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

These people must hate themselves, to be so cruel and openly anti-non white family.

Texas sues Biden administration to halt program that reunites Central American children with parents in U.S.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/01/28/texas-paxton-lawuit-biden-immigration/

No need to thank me.

Oh man, if there are widespread outages with this storm, it's going to get interesting given that the primary is just a month away.

"Greg Abbott can't even keep the lights on!"

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Oh man, if there are widespread outages with this storm, it's going to get interesting given that the primary is just a month away.

"Greg Abbott can't even keep the lights on!"

It's forecast to be below freezing for all of like 36 hours.  I know everyone has PTSD from last year, but this should be a non-event.  SHOULD.  If not, then things are somehow worse than last year.

Huffines monologue to Abbott during upcoming blackout:

"You think darkness is your ally. 

You merely caused the dark.

I was born in it. 

Molded by it.  

I didn't see the light until I was already a fully grown troll."

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It's forecast to be below freezing for all of like 36 hours.  I know everyone has PTSD from last year, but this should be a non-event.  SHOULD.  If not, then things are somehow worse than last year.

Yeah, I'm not at all worried. It shouldn't be a thing. But if it is... woo boy.

33 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

I can't believe we're going to reelect this person. There's no one better in this state???

Think about the level of competence it takes to be an effective governer, and then juxtapose that with the level of absolute batshittery and dipshittery that said person would have to put up with in this state. They'd be undercut, sabotaged, and fucked over at every turn. There's literally no incentive for a sane, rational, non-corrupt person to want the job. Anyone who'd be actually good at the job could make a better living with less of a headache doing something else.

For people like Abbott, who are soulless and stupid and selfish and have no talent outside of the ability to manipulate stupid people and sucking the right cock at the right time, and aren't really smart enough to realize that they're also being manipulated, it's the perfect job.

Edited by Pam Cummings

38 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

His negligent incompetence is the reason it's a thing.  I'd love for it to be an issue this time.  Just not for me.  Say like every aggy in the state.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well, we have 500,000 more people in the state than last year.  And we've had Greg and others encouraging Bitcoin miners to move in.

6hhvd.gif

7 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Yeah, I've heard grumbling from people I know in the NG, but they are being careful because apparently social media and the like is being scoured for anybody bitching.

But I can say that there will be a number of NG folks bailing on the NG when their contract is up.  No re-enlistments for them.  Or they will be Guard hopping and moving out-of-state (of course they are worried that Texas may force them to stay in the TNG and come back) or going active duty.

• Rage+1 1

So while Abbott is breaking the back of our Texas Guard on this border photo op, New Mexico is actually using their Guard in an inventive and creative way to help their state.  What color state is New Mexico again?  Oh, yeah....blue.   Fuck Abbott.

New Mexico asks National Guard to work as substitute teachers to keep classrooms open

As of this week, 78 members of the New Mexico National Guard have begun work as substitute teachers. They are responding to a call from Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham, who also asked state employees to volunteer in an effort to keep schools open during an acute shortage of teachers exacerbated by the omicron wave of COVID-19.

Alt is 25 and has no teaching experience, usually working as a technician in the laboratories at Los Alamos. He says he volunteered after seeing his younger brothers struggle with remote learning.

"The online stuff just doesn't get to them correctly," he says, and many children don't have access to a fast internet connection. "And as well, people may have to leave children at home, like - alone. Like, that's not the safe thing to do."

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/02/1077056059/new-mexico-national-guard-substitute-teachers

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Regarding the substitute teacher thing:

A couple of weeks ago, my daughter (6th grade) came home and after being asked about school that day informed me that she spent all day in the cafeteria or gym or outside instead of going to various classes as usual because they didn't have enough substitute teachers to cover all the teachers who were out (presumably due to covid*), so they just put multiple classes of kids into a big group where they could be supervised by the vice principal. And watched movies or played basketball or ran around outside (at least they got some exercise, I guess).

At least a guard soldier could supervise a smaller group in a classroom and give them some review worksheets or something.

* I have to wonder if at least some of those teachers were out due to some athletic or extracurricular event that should have been scheduled on a saturday. Or for some training that could have been done in the summer.

57 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

If there are wide spread outages, huffines will be our next governor.

I posted the TT article on my town's local news Facebook page and the Abbott sycophants came out of the wordwork -- "WE DON"T EVEN KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN YET!!"  "YOU EXPECT HIM TO CONTROL THE WEATHER???"