Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

Regarding the substitute teacher thing:

A couple of weeks ago, my daughter (6th grade) came home and after being asked about school that day informed me that she spent all day in the cafeteria or gym or outside instead of going to various classes as usual because they didn't have enough substitute teachers to cover all the teachers who were out (presumably due to covid*), so they just put multiple classes of kids into a big group where they could be supervised by the vice principal. And watched movies or played basketball or ran around outside (at least they got some exercise, I guess).
At least a guard soldier could supervise a smaller group in a classroom and give them some review worksheets or something.

* I have to wonder if at least some of those teachers were out due to some athletic or extracurricular event that should have been scheduled on a saturday. Or for some training that could have been done in the summer.

All those fucking knuckleheads that have been screeching about “OPEN THE SCHOOLS!!! OUR KIDS HEADS’ ARE FALLING OFF!!!” for won’t say jack nor shit about hundreds of kids basically being warehoused in study hall for 7 hours.

Virtual schooling isn’t great but it’s a shitton better than being in detention all fucking day.

Our city schools just went back in person this week - they started back virtually after Christmas because we had so many teachers with COVID.

And while some parents and other assholes griped and moaned about it, our principal and superintendent basically told them to fuck off.

Alabama is so red that we’re actually safe from the more insane stuff that Governors like Abbott and DeSantis have pulled. Because our QAnon crazies aren’t a big enough block to actually swing an election.

Governor MeeMaw wins re-election 70-30. DeSantis only has 30,000ish votes to play with and Abbott has seen GOP margins shrink every election.

It would be quite interesting if it didn’t result in corpses and shit.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

So while Abbott is breaking the back of our Texas Guard on this border photo op, New Mexico is actually using their Guard in an inventive and creative way to help their state.  What color state is New Mexico again?  Oh, yeah....blue.   Fuck Abbott.

New Mexico asks National Guard to work as substitute teachers to keep classrooms open

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/02/1077056059/new-mexico-national-guard-substitute-teachers

Ha!  This goes against everything they want.  Wall good!  Edumacashun bad!

I agree he hasn't done much in the private sector.  But are her parents really billionaires?  I thought they were just really rich (like tens of millions of dollars rich)?  

44 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

This was inside-

fc7b02882d59adf231d3e5fb4f5d95f8.jpg

I've got some Trumpkin in-laws trying to push this "OMG THEY ARE GOING TO KILL US ALL WITH FENTANYL DO YOU KNOW HOW DANGEROUS IT IS THEY ARE FORCING OUR CHILDREN TO EAT IT IN SCHOOLS AND JUST THE OTHER DAY MS-13 WAS STOPPING PEOPLE IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD AND MAKING THEM OVERDOSE ON IT!"

I just point out that they didn't give a fuck about people dying from crack, heroin, meth, etc. but because it's now a Fox News talking point, they are horrified by this drug that kills far fewer people than, oh, I don't know, COVID-19.

Which is amusing, because you'd think they'd be howling at the moon over the COVID stats under Biden instead of being scared shitless of fentanyl, but, you know, it's border bullshit meant to scare people.

I'm fucking lazy, I really need to take advantage of Trumpkins, they are so fucking easy to scare/stir up these days.

7 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Is Beto running?

Must be nice to be his age and never have to work because you married a billionaire’s daughter.  Talk about white privilege.  He’s it.  

He better never make her mad.  Separate property laws are a bitch.  

Can you imagine being someone like Donald Trump and pissing away all that inherited money? All he had to do was put it in the stock market, never work a day in his life, and he'd be worth a shit-ton more money. Some people are just deadweight losses.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

I agree he hasn't done much in the private sector.  But are her parents really billionaires?  I thought they were just really rich (like tens of millions of dollars rich)?  

He hasn't done much in the public sector either.

I've heard billionaire from my friend who was on the El Paso City Council and is friends with Beto.  Forbes says at least $500 million.

https://apnews.com/article/politics-business-ap-top-news-texas-chicago-84ca432974f04a699e4b2f7eaf0c74a1

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Why is the current governor of Texas allowing all of this fentanyl to flow into the state? And why is he blaming a private citizen for his failures?

What would you have him do about Fentanyl?  More war on drugs?  More border security, which is a federal function pretty much exclusively.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, it looks like Abbott is promising the people of West Texas a school their basketball team can be proud of. I hope these people know Abbott is playing them:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2022/02/10/bobs-breakdown-the-lowdown-on-the-showdowns-ahead-as-early-voting-for-texas-primary-begins-monday/

AUSTIN – Less than 48 hours after the Texas Tech University men’s basketball team thrashed his alma mater, the University of Texas, Gov. Greg Abbott appeared before supporters at a Lubbock restaurant and acted as excited about the defeat of former Tech coach Chris Beard’s Longhorn team as anyone present. The governor, who likes sports, is good at playing chameleon when it comes to college athletics. He can appeal to Texans’ tribal loyalties with the best of them. And I learned something new from Lubbock state Rep. Dustin Burrows’ introduction of Abbott: The future governor went to Texas Tech’s law school for a year, Burrows said. That was presumably before Abbott transferred to Vanderbilt Law, where he got his law degree. So, who knows, the expression “Guns up!” may come readily to Abbott’s lips.

• Abbott, who is campaigning for re-election, sought to tap into more than local citizens’ sports enthusiasm. He promised to work on boosting Texas Tech’s status as a research university. As I wrote about last fall, that’s a touchy subject in West Texas, where the public lands that the state was allowed to keep when it was admitted to the Union in 1845 turned out to contain oil and natural gas, a fact learned decades later, after a good deal of the revenue from the state-owned lands was committed in perpetuity to the state’s only two public universities at the time of the decision, UT and Texas A&M. It was a fortuitous break for those two universities, if not for the regional schools such as Tech that have been green with envy ever since.
  • After receiving a Republican red-meat introduction from Burrows, who touched on “backing the blue,” border security and election integrity safeguards, Abbott summoned Burrows back to the stage to discuss something they’d begun working on, relatively late in last year’s seemingly nonstop legislative sessions. “I want the state of Texas to create an endowment for Texas Tech University of $1 billion to elevate the university even more,” Abbott said. “Dustin and I, we’re going to work on that. As high as Texas Tech may rank right now, you’re going to be ranking higher. We want the university to rank academically, as high in the polls as your basketball team. That is my goal.”
  • On Wednesday, Lubbock-based political analyst Jay Leeson called Abbott’s remarks in Lubbock last Thursday a hollow pledge – and something of a desperation move. Leeson noted that “people with burnt orange ties and maroon ties” aren’t likely to let schools such as Texas Tech and the University of Houston stick their scoops into the Permanent University Fund, as Burrows proposed in one constitutional amendment in last year’s third special session, without a prolonged and heated fight. Supporters of the Tech and UH systems have complained that they’re starved for research money needed to push their flagship schools into the American Association of Universities — and into the best athletic conferences.
  • Burrows had another constitutional amendment in the third special session, which also went nowhere. It would have committed the state to creating a “Texas University Fund” for the non-PUF schools. There was some talk about trying to scrape together $1 billion for such a fund. But in the end, Texas lawmakers, using some of President Joe Biden’s America Rescue Plan Act money, gave Tech and UH $50 million each for “institutional enhancement.”
  • According to Leeson, Abbott spoke of enhancing Tech merely because “he’s scared Republicans out here will stay home. That’s exactly what it is and everybody knows it.” Abbott spokesman Mark Miner, though, took strong exception. He said Leeson is “seriously misinformed” if he thinks Abbott’s had an election-year conversion to the notion of improving Texas higher education.
  • “The governor has been talking about elevating higher education in Texas from the day he took office and he’s been following through on that promise -- more than doubling the number of Tier 1 institutions in the state,” he said. As for a $1 billion endowment for Tech, Miner said Abbott “first floated the idea with Chairman Burrows during the 2021 special session. … It’s been an idea long in the making.”

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

What would you have him do about Fentanyl?  More war on drugs?  More border security, which is a federal function pretty much exclusively.

according to Huffines this is all Abbott's fault bc he's a giant pussy, who am i to argue? 

• Haha 1

20 years of failed Texas Republican leadership is why the border is in the shape it is today, sad. Hate to see them putting the onus on the federal government when it’s in our backyard. 

“We’re so powerless at the border! Help us Joey!”

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 2/9/2022 at 10:46 PM, Lobo said:

according to Trump, being worth tens of millions of dollars means you can call yourself a billionaire.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

yeah, this state can never talk shit about alabama or mississippi or any other shithole now.  we've surpassed them all.

No shit.  Can Austin, San Antonio and El Paso go ahead and form East New Mexico or something?  I'm tired of being associated with East Texas and the DFW burbs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2