Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

I especially enjoy when the R's all of a sudden care about women's rights, as a basis to stomp on these oh-so malevolent and threatening transgender people -- gotta protect the women folk against the sick, twisted trans invading our sports and our bathrooms. I guess they truly care for us so much that they even have to protect us against ourselves due to our wanton ways of wanting to control our reproductive lives. 

Gender Role Control might be a good band name, but there's no doubt it applies to these authoritarian fucks. Tired, old playbook since forever.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 8:06 PM, bolverk said:

So where are all those dicks like @Incredulity @workswithseed @Immaculate Vibes who've been accusing Trudeau of being an authoritarian?

Nary a gotdam peep.

I think this is bad. Parents should have control over their kids. I don’t think gender transitioning as a teen is a good thing necessarily, but I’d stop well short of calling it child abuse or worth reporting. 

• Fuck You 1

Oh he believes it needs to be done.  Not because he truly thinks that trans kids are somehow misguided and their parents are abusing them by humoring that misguidance.  No, that's not the reason.  The reason is he has to find a disenfranchised group to harass because that's the only way he can curry favor with the Republican base so that he can stay in office.  It's about him, collateral damage be damned.  He doesn't give a fuck about the people of Texas except to make sure he can get enough of them to vote for him to keep him in office.  That's the only purpose of the people of this state in his eyes. 

I remember someone back in the old days of hornfans sent me a message about W's cutting into regular programming to give a speech about needing a constitutional amendment to outlaw marriage equality.  The message was that he knew something of W and W didn't actually care about the issue, but he needed to say that because his base was a little antsy. 

It's the same shit Abbott is doing now, and it's even worse behavior than either of those would've been if they actually believed the shit they were spewing.  I can deal with you as a person having a different opinion and basing your policies on that opinion.  There is some chance that given the opportunity I can change your mind in that circumstance.  But to be so craven to create fake issues that aren't really a thing for the express purpose of getting people to take your side in the controversy is just fucking cruel.  It's disingenuous.  It's heartless. 

We should not be electing cruel, heartless, disingenuous people to office in this state or anywhere else.  It continues to blow my mind that not only do we elect them, but in some places it seems to be a fucking requirement to even make the ballot.

I want off.  I'm tired of being represented by pieces of shit that are representing me for the sole reason that they were found to be the largest piece of shit that we could choose from.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

I believe it is worse because it is a mental torture beyond anything Abbott himself would ever undergo. I mean (relatedly), marriage equality once enacted should not be reversed, but that is a real likelihood we are faced with. Why is this so? I don't know. But what I do know is having that doubt of will they or won't they sitting on one's shoulder has got to be awful and most truly beyond my comprehension. And I don't want to put degrees of torture on Abbott's menu, but in the case of gender issues, this zealotry of his, political expediency or not, is worse because it question's a person's very being, who they are, and pulls them into the public eye and criminalizes everything about that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I believe it is worse because it is a mental torture beyond anything Abbott himself would ever undergo. I mean (relatedly), marriage equality once enacted should not be reversed, but that is a real likelihood we are faced with. Why is this so? I don't know. But what I do know is having that doubt of will they or won't they sitting on one's shoulder has got to be awful and most truly beyond my comprehension. And I don't want to put degrees of torture on Abbott's menu, but in the case of gender issues, this zealotry of his, political expediency or not, is worse because it question's a person's very being, who they are, and pulls them into the public eye and criminalizes everything about that.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  What both W and Abbott did in these two cases is terrible.  The only way it is analogous to what W did with marriage equality was that they are doing it for politics, not because of closely held personal beliefs.  Otherwise, they are only related in that they are both issues that affect the rainbow acronym.  And the were picked because the rainbow acronym is an easy target because our resistance historically has not been that strong.  What W did was wrong, but he was just reaffirming what was already the law of the land, but it was reprehensible to cut into programming during the Iraq war, not to talk about the war, but to denigrate the gays in a televised address to the nation.  The targets of W's ire were at least mostly adults as well.  What Abbott has done here is go all in on authoritarianism to kick a marginalized group of children in the teeth for the sole purpose of shoring up his base.  That moves his actions from reprehensible to downright evil.  The level of disgust I have for the current strain of Republicanism keeps growing, even though I thought I hit my limit a few years ago.  I keep waiting for the "Have you no sense of decency?" speech that will end this strain, but so far it hasn't happened and I lose a little more hope every day that it will.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  What both W and Abbott did in these two cases is terrible.  The only way it is analogous to what W did with marriage equality was that they are doing it for politics, not because of closely held personal beliefs.  Otherwise, they are only related in that they are both issues that affect the rainbow acronym.  And the were picked because the rainbow acronym is an easy target because our resistance historically has not been that strong.  What W did was wrong, but he was just reaffirming what was already the law of the land, but it was reprehensible to cut into programming during the Iraq war, not to talk about the war, but to denigrate the gays in a televised address to the nation.  The targets of W's ire were at least mostly adults as well.  What Abbott has done here is go all in on authoritarianism to kick a marginalized group of children in the teeth for the sole purpose of shoring up his base.  That moves his actions from reprehensible to downright evil.  The level of disgust I have for the current strain of Republicanism keeps growing, even though I thought I hit my limit a few years ago.  I keep waiting for the "Have you no sense of decency?" speech that will end this strain, but so far it hasn't happened and I lose a little more hope every day that it will.

I'd love to see some milquetoast centrist like Biden just drop a "what the fuck is wrong with you people?"

• Hook 'Em 2

Is there any chance that Abbott become less of a fucking cunt now that he has dispatched the Mogwai (~12% in the GQP primary), or are we going to be dealing with full-on bitchmade Abbott all the way through 2024?

35 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Is there any chance that Abbott become less of a fucking cunt now that he has dispatched the Mogwai (~12% in the GQP primary), or are we going to be dealing with full-on bitchmade Abbott all the way through 2024?

It's an election in America.  He'll move toward the center now.

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

does this appeal hit the Texas Supreme Court or the 5th ?

both will over turn this before you can say 'LG............................'

Filed in Travis County District Court. State court so the ultimate appellate destination for this case would be the Texas Supreme Court. 

Kids in foster care who’d been victims of sex trafficking endured fresh abuse at a state shelter, report says

The children were sexually abused and neglected while at The Refuge, a facility located in Bastrop contracted by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, according to a report from a current employee.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/03/10/texas-shelter-sex-trafficking-children/

That employee said a former staff member sold nude photos of two children in the facility’s care, using the proceeds to purchase illegal drugs and alcohol that were then supplied to the children, according to a letter from DFPS filed on Thursday notifying the court about the incident. Local law enforcement and the Texas Department of Public Safety were immediately notified, according to the letter.
….

Dozens of facilities contracted by Texas have recently closed down or had their license revoked after racking up numerous offenses and subjecting children to dangerous and damaging environments. Child advocates and the judge have repeatedly criticized Texas officials for failing to ensure facilities are safe for kids in the state’s care. From summer 2019 to May 2021, the court monitors discovered that at least 23 children died in Texas' long-term foster care system in shelters and facilities licensed by the state.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Rage+1 2

19 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Kids in foster care who’d been victims of sex trafficking endured fresh abuse at a state shelter, report says

The children were sexually abused and neglected while at The Refuge, a facility located in Bastrop contracted by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, according to a report from a current employee.

That employee said a former staff member sold nude photos of two children in the facility’s care, using the proceeds to purchase illegal drugs and alcohol that were then supplied to the children, according to a letter from DFPS filed on Thursday notifying the court about the incident. Local law enforcement and the Texas Department of Public Safety were immediately notified, according to the letter.
….

Dozens of facilities contracted by Texas have recently closed down or had their license revoked after racking up numerous offenses and subjecting children to dangerous and damaging environments. Child advocates and the judge have repeatedly criticized Texas officials for failing to ensure facilities are safe for kids in the state’s care. From summer 2019 to May 2021, the court monitors discovered that at least 23 children died in Texas' long-term foster care system in shelters and facilities licensed by the state.

Take away trans kids from their loving parents so they can be subjected to the barbarity of our state's foster care system. GQP hitting peak cruelty here

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

On 2/23/2022 at 11:52 AM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

or you can do as I am doing and sticking around and trying to make it better. Texas is way too good for the people who currently run it. it doesn't have to be like this, and it can change

Yep. I’m stayin. Rebuilding my Texas…..*sigh* enjoying my Texas….

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

….

What the fuck!?!? That’s pretty much the plot to season 1 True Detective 

5 minutes ago, deac_tracy said:

Hmm.. maybe it's because your administration has paid them terribly and villainized them by insinuating they've have been brainwashing kids .

Politician claims not to understand consequences of his actions. Film at 11.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Hmm.. maybe it's because your administration has paid them terribly and villainized them by insinuating they've have been brainwashing kids .

You should see how many teachers are on the task force to investigate why teachers are leaving. Go ahead, I dare you.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Only 2 teachers are on the task force, by the way. Total farce. 

Kentucky has a D governor.

Louisiana has a D governor.

FFS, Kansas has a D governor. 

Why are we forever mired with Abbott and his ilk 

Because this state is full of dumbasses.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

15 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Because this state is full of dumbasses.

Apparently not enough for Abbott and his crew.  Let's dumb them down some more and put out the red flashing welcome sign to all those idiots looking to flee the blue states.  Come to Texas, where you can be as stupid as you want and be part of the voting majority.

37 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Anti-trans bill is disgusting.

This is entire point of the legislation. To demean, fracture, and further marginalize already marginalized groups.   They’d put in separate water fountains and lunch counters and bus seating if they could, because that it the entirety of their idealogical motivations. 

Fuck them. Fuck their enablers and supporters. Legislation like this will have one end result: pain, suffering and needless death via suicide from a demographic that already largely sits on a knife’s edge when it comes to mental health   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

26 minutes ago, Cement said:

Lulz at all these libs who got their panties in a bind because the state is taking action to keep depressed and confused 11 year olds who spend too much time on tiktok from taking puberty blockers.

I feel like you picked the perfect username because like cement, you are weak and brittle and the slightest stress without reinforcing and lots of additives renders you to a powder. Well done, really.

Also hilarious (and not unexpected) that he mentions puberty blockers and then posts a de-transition study about a woman who was "easily prescribed" (questionable) testosterone at the age of 18, which is like...the opposite of a puberty blocker.

Bigotry seems to destroy neurons..

• Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1