Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

Great post. Dan Rather is a wise man.

A lot of what I see now in Texas is performative poppycock. It’s a bunch of play actors pretending to be cowboys but not understanding what it means to work with calloused hands for a living. The ethos of rugged individualism that characterized this state shouldn’t be about imposing your vision of life on others. It shouldn’t be about spreading lies, or whitewashing history, or preventing people from voting. 

What has made Texas great has been its capacity to grow, evolve, learn from its mistakes. The Texas ideal I saw growing up was one of hard work and humility. You didn’t pound your chest. You led by example. Your belt buckle might be big, but that was because your pants were made for physical labor. The brim of your hat might be broad, but that was to keep the sun out of your eyes when you were working in the punishing heat of a Texas summer. 475628169_keepingpromises.thumb.jpg.3097b8fdeee8bc14ebb89064e85f5952.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

Yep, one of trucks is stuck in that video and the driver went over his allotted time behind the wheel.  And we'll have this issue over and over again because y'all are fucking stupid.  

18 minutes ago, Liteitup said:

Produce out of Mexico is being severely affected.

Anecdotally, I was at HEB on Far West yesterday, and the only tomatoes available were a few romas.  No cherry tomatoes -- the big bin was empty, completely.  Tomatoes on the vine: empty.  A few other produce slots were pretty picked over as well.  To the point that I damned well noticed.  Then saw this story on the news.

What a ratfuck by a ratfucker.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Anecdotally, I was at HEB on Far West yesterday, and the only tomatoes available were a few romas.  No cherry tomatoes -- the big bin was empty, completely.  Tomatoes on the vine: empty.  A few other produce slots were pretty picked over as well.  To the point that I damned well noticed.  Then saw this story on the news.

This whole thing has been instigating my wife and I to actually grow some of our smaller veggies ourselves. We have a tiny back yard without real grass, but we've got planter boxes and a raised plant bed outside, and an aerogarden inside. It's about 50-60 days to harvest for a big bunch of fresh tomatoes/cucumbers/strawberries in the aerogarden and beats the shit out of what you get at the store

Victory gardens are coming back, baby!

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fortunately, I live in San Marcos, where we'll never have a produce shortage because all the stupid fatties in this town have never considered eating fruits or vegetables.  Earlier in the year, when everyone was having shortages, I went into the HEB and nearly every aisle was really picked over, and then the produce section was completely stocked.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Fortunately, I live in San Marcos, where we'll never have a produce shortage because all the stupid fatties in this town have never considered eating fruits or vegetables.  Earlier in the year, when everyone was having shortages, I went into the HEB and nearly every aisle was really picked over, and then the produce section was completely stocked.

If we imported all of our unhealthy snack foods from Mexico, maybe we'd get the morons' attention.

But I doubt it.  They'd blame Obama and Hillary and Hunter Biden's laptop.

Beto should be hammering this issue home every goddamn day with a laser-focused spotlight. instead of travelling the state, suspend the campaign and head to the border and document this shit. talk to people out there. get first hand accounts of how Abbott is endangering all of us. but he's not, probably. I dunno, I haven't checked. if I were to bet, though, I bet on him doing photo ops and fundraisers and missing opportunities, like this one.

you know who would be down there talking to people - Huffines. it would be a shitshow, but he'd be there

• Hook 'Em 1

Mentioned it before and I'll mention it again, my local Kroger while not perfect has had much better supply of just about everything in comparison to HEB.  I know everyone on this site wants to suck off HEB's cock, but they are handling the supply chain crunch like a bunch of dumbfuck aggies.

41 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Beto should be hammering this issue home every goddamn day with a laser-focused spotlight. instead of travelling the state, suspend the campaign and head to the border and document this shit. talk to people out there. get first hand accounts of how Abbott is endangering all of us. but he's not, probably. I dunno, I haven't checked. if I were to bet, though, I bet on him doing photo ops and fundraisers and missing opportunities, like this one.

you know who would be down there talking to people - Huffines. it would be a shitshow, but he'd be there

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just when Abbott thought GOP trolls (literally, mean people living under bridges) were done with him...Sid Miller emerges in the wake of Huffines to wage war with Greggie.

Yeah, the countdown who blames who for costly fuel waste while idling at the border with fresh produce begins in 3, 2, 1.......................................

We are literally in a race to the bottom.  It's goin' real slow like...

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, the countdown who blames who for costly fuel waste while idling at the border with fresh produce begins in 3, 2, 1.......................................

We are literally in a race to the bottom.  It's goin' real slow like...

Dude, how many times do I need to remind you -- THERE IS NO BOTTOM.  We have managed to reach a point in history where Greg Abbott and Sid Miller are having a political spat and SID F'N MILLER is the smart and reasonable one.

In a world where that scenario is even POSSIBLE, there is no bottom.

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Mentioned it before and I'll mention it again, my local Kroger while not perfect has had much better supply of just about everything in comparison to HEB.  I know everyone on this site wants to suck off HEB's cock, but they are handling the supply chain crunch like a bunch of dumbfuck aggies.

i've suspected that randall's has been fully stocked of all sorts of shit but no one knows

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

This seems like a bad idea from Abbott. There’s a couple potential explanations.

He believes that blame for any consequences related to supplies or prices will go to Biden. Or he believes or sees polling that voters in Texas are more concerned with the border situation than those issues. It’s been well covered that Hispanics especially in Texas are shifting to the right, at least partially due to the border. He’s playing to that I think. 

I think the mostly white, liberal, and educated posters here dismiss the impact of the current levels of illegal immigration especially on border communities. Then you throw in the expected surge coming and there could be some monster numbers. Seems like he’s making the common political mistake of giving into the cries to “Do Something!”  

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

R infighting is good !

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Just when Abbott thought GOP trolls (literally, mean people living under bridges) were done with him...Sid Miller emerges in the wake of Huffines to wage war with Greggie.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And here's how bad it is:

Do you know what an epic, catastrophic dumbfuck you have to be to end up in an argument with Sid Miller where SID MILLER is the one making sense?

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Sid with a moment of clarity.  Maybe there is something to this jesus shot.

47 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Busted clock yadda yadda...

I wouldn't read too much into Miller's actions. I doubt he came up with this on his own, this smells of a bunch of BMDs telling him to make Abbott back down or their money will go elsewhere.

Dude, how many times do I need to remind you -- THERE IS NO BOTTOM.  We have managed to reach a point in history where Greg Abbott and Sid Miller are having a political spat and SID F'N MILLER is the smart and reasonable one.
In a world where that scenario is even POSSIBLE, there is no bottom.

It's not a bottom; it's a simulation. I'm more convinced than ever that this is all fake.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

This seems like a bad idea from Abbott. There’s a couple potential explanations.

He really fucked up and got out over his skis wheels.  I know quite a few Republicans who are furious because this shit is impacting their businesses.  They were quite fine with him abusing the Texas National Guard to play border patrol, and talking a big game about Biden, but start directly fucking with their businesses and he's no better than the librools.

One even made a comment that this is the kind of stuff that Beto would do to hurt small businesses, imposing another layer of inefficient bureaucracy.

6 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

He believes that blame for any consequences related to supplies or prices will go to Biden. Or he believes or sees polling that voters in Texas are more concerned with the border situation than those issues. It’s been well covered that Hispanics especially in Texas are shifting to the right, at least partially due to the border. He’s playing to that I think. 

I think the mostly white, liberal, and educated posters here dismiss the impact of the current levels of illegal immigration especially on border communities. Then you throw in the expected surge coming and there could be some monster numbers. Seems like he’s making the common political mistake of giving into the cries to “Do Something!”  

There's some truth here.  Remember though, the shift isn't as significant as it's been portrayed.  It's a certain segment within the Hispanic (a broad brush name) population.  Hispanics, and surprisingly equal amongst genders, between 35-65 are shifting more and more Republican.  It's a flash in the pan though, because all the kids they made in Texas are shifting more and more Democrat.  So this will be a marked voting bloc for another few cycles then it will be overrun by the very children they made. 

But to your point, it's not nothing.  It's significant.  And it's not driven by an affinity for the Republican Party or Trump...but by one thing you mentioned and one thing you didn't.  The border issue.  And the other dirty little secret that my mother's family from Mexico is the perfect encapsulation of...Mexican-Americans/Hispanic-Americans/Latin-Americans/Chicanos...whatever you wanna call us.  We fucking love to shit on the people behind us.  They spent the first 25 years of their life not fitting in as an America Citizen (despite many of them being born on U.S. soil).  Only after they got educated, got some success, some married white spouses, assimilated into suburbs in Illinois, Texas, California, and New York.  Then they immediately turned around and spat on the dirty Mexicans that lived alongside their family just decades prior.  And my family is not unique that in that respect.  

I sat for days in conferences with ART, HRT, and CHC trying to plug and play the Latino value set and how it could be married to the Republican platform.  Henry Bonilla, George P. Bush, Alberto Gonzales, and dozens of others.  All contemplating the same thing, "Family values, work ethic, of deep faith, entrepreneurial, not big fans of regulation/being ruled under a thumb, respect for rule of law and anti-corruption, meritocracy, somewhat socially conservative, etc."  How to cast a wider tent to bring more Hispanics into the GOP.  Some small, incremental change here and there. 

And then one day not long ago, a man of bold vision came along and did in one year what would have taken us twenty years.  Forget policy, forget platform, forget values, forget morals.  Tap into what my Hispanic family has always felt but never voted for...that it was okay to hate the Mexicans who weren't here yet.  Once again, my prize failure...a lack of imagination.  Whatever you have going for you, child of immigrants who made it big or white natives who never had shit to begin with...you are one in the same in the eyes of this man.  You are a victim...and some group must be made to pay.   

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

There's some truth here.  Remember though, the shift isn't as significant as it's been portrayed.  It's a certain segment within the Hispanic (a broad brush name) population.  Hispanics, and surprisingly equal amongst genders, between 35-65 are shifting more and more Republican.  It's a flash in the pan though, because all the kids they made in Texas are shifting more and more Democrat.  So this will be a marked voting bloc for another few cycles then it will be overrun by the very children they made. 

But to your point, it's not nothing.  It's significant.  And it's not driven by an affinity for the Republican Party or Trump...but by one thing you mentioned and one thing you didn't.  The border issue.  And the other dirty little secret that my mother's family from Mexico is the perfect encapsulation of...Mexican-Americans/Hispanic-Americans/Latin-Americans/Chicanos...whatever you wanna call us.  We fucking love to shit on the people behind us.  They spent the first 25 years of their life not fitting in as an America Citizen (despite many of them being born on U.S. soil).  Only after they got educated, got some success, some married white spouses, assimilated into suburbs in Illinois, Texas, California, and New York.  Then they immediately turned around and spat on the dirty Mexicans that lived alongside their family just decades prior.  And my family is not unique that in that respect.  

I sat for days in conferences with ART, HRT, and CHC trying to plug and play the Latino value set and how it could be married to the Republican platform.  Henry Bonilla, George P. Bush, Alberto Gonzales, and dozens of others.  All contemplating the same thing, "Family values, work ethic, of deep faith, entrepreneurial, not big fans of regulation/being ruled under a thumb, respect for rule of law and anti-corruption, meritocracy, somewhat socially conservative, etc."  How to cast a wider tent to bring more Hispanics into the GOP.  Some small, incremental change here and there. 

And then one day not long ago, a man of bold vision came along and did in one year what would have taken us twenty years.  Forget policy, forget platform, forget values, forget morals.  Tap into what my Hispanic family has always felt but never voted for...that it was okay to hate the Mexicans who weren't here yet.  Once again, my prize failure...a lack of imagination.  Whatever you have going for you, child of immigrants who made it big or white natives who never had shit to begin with...you are one in the same in the eyes of this man.  You are a victim...and some group must be made to pay.   

I saw this with my own eyes with an acquaintance back in 2017.  Middle aged hispanic woman who was otherwise seemingly normal, but full on trumpkin purely because of wanting to pull up the ladder.  It was wild.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Good points. I still think you’re discounting the security part of border security. That doesn’t have to do with “pulling up the ladder”.

6 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Good points. I still think you’re discounting the security part of border security. That doesn’t have to do with “pulling up the ladder”.

Disease ridden gang bangers!

Yeah, with about half the GOP voting Hispanic bloc, they are one in the same.  And with the other half, they are binary and have not much overlap.  

Another secret for another thread...is we're doing just fine making drugs on our own side of the border.  And you could do a 100-hour Jordan Klepper special by asking Texans, "What happens after criminal immigrants bring drugs across our Southern Border?  Yeah, they're bringing in tons of drugs each day.  But what happens after that?  Those guys aren't driving the shit to Boston, Seattle, Denver, and Chicago.  How do the drugs move around our country once the dirty Mexicans bring them into our country via Texas?"  The wholesale drug distribution network in our country makes the Southern Border drug crossings look like the lame-ass Netflix series they are.  What happens once you get to Dallas and Houston is absolutely amazing.  And involves some very interesting Americans. 

We all know the stories of smuggling and mules down South, but once you get up the foodchain, do you really think it's undocumented guys name Carlos and Jesus driving this shit around the U.S in windowless vans?  It's not Clint Eastwood either.  For mass movement of wholesale product to move across state lines en masse, you need law enforcement protection.  And you need clean vehicles.  It would make most American's heads explode to learn how drugs from South Texas/South California/South Arizona/South Florida get around the country to their end-salesman.  Absolutely fascinating.  I grew up in logistics/trucking and the operation White American drug lords have set up is absolutely jaw-dropping.  It's the most efficient thing I've ever seen, the margins are insane, and it's literally less violent and less dangerous than legitimate trucking business.  

Yeah, with about half the GOP voting Hispanic bloc, they are one in the same.  And with the other half, they are binary and have not much overlap.  
Another secret for another thread...is we're doing just fine making drugs on our own side of the border.  And you could do a 100-hour Jordan Klepper special by asking Texans, "What happens after criminal immigrants bring drugs across our Southern Border?  Yeah, they're bringing in tons of drugs each day.  But what happens after that?  Those guys aren't driving the shit to Boston, Seattle, Denver, and Chicago.  How do the drugs move around our country once the dirty Mexicans bring them into our country via Texas?"  The wholesale drug distribution network in our country makes the Southern Border drug crossings look like the lame-ass Netflix series they are.  What happens once you get to Dallas and Houston is absolutely amazing.  And involves some very interesting Americans. 
We all know the stories of smuggling and mules down South, but once you get up the foodchain, do you really think it's undocumented guys name Carlos and Jesus driving this shit around the U.S in windowless vans?  It's not Clint Eastwood either.  For mass movement of wholesale product to move across state lines en masse, you need law enforcement protection.  And you need clean vehicles.  It would make most American's heads explode to learn how drugs from South Texas/South California/South Arizona/South Florida get around the country to their end-salesman.  Absolutely fascinating.  I grew up in logistics/trucking and the operation White American drug lords have set up is absolutely jaw-dropping.  It's the most efficient thing I've ever seen, the margins are insane, and it's literally less violent and less dangerous than legitimate trucking business.  

Well, tell us how it works

I like breathing.  

But okay, I'll play...it's 95% White U.S. citizens.  Just use your natural intuition.  If a bunch of illegal 'stuff' makes it into the U.S., how do you scatter it to various distribution centers around the nation to be cut and sold to wholesalers for pickup?  Do you use a bunch of undocumented illegals with sketchy looking cars and rental trucks?  Or do use cleanly registered vehicles and trucks belonging to non-criminal Americans?  And do you run the distribution network under the protection of state police for a small fee?  It's amusing to me that so many Texans think the cartels are these all-business organizations that are lethal in their practices of getting bad drugs to bad people in the U.S.  And they go through all this violence and cost and violate our borders so they can turn over a truckload of product to Pedro in his '98 Bronco in San Angelo or Beaumont. 

It's the most bizarre disconnect to me.  We are all terribly, terribly concerned with drugs flowing into our country from our borders.  Regardless of party.  And then down the foodchain, we all want to see addicts get help and reform mandatory drug sentencing laws.  But there's this massive nebulous in the middle where most Texans just kinda shrug and think, "I dunno, what happens between the border and the addict, probably some Mexicans, I dunno...maybe.  Probably not.  Who knows?  not cops though.  Right?  Maybe.  Shit.  I had something for this.  Wait, is it Belarus?  No?  Okay.  Um, Doug from West Virginia probably?  I mean, I guess yeah...it's a massive country.  I guess somebody drives it around.  Wait, do they use rivers?"  

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I saw this with my own eyes with an acquaintance back in 2017.  Middle aged hispanic woman who was otherwise seemingly normal, but full on trumpkin purely because of wanting to pull up the ladder.  It was wild.

And this played all through American history - it played out with the fucking Irish, Italians, and Armenians - easy for the English, Scots, Germans, Dutch, etc., to hate on those last three groups because so many of them came later on (and Chinese if you were on the West Coast).

Edited by atomheartbevo