Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

3 minutes ago, YChang said:

Hey hey be specific. It's all those dang Vietnamese. They're like the Cubans of the area. 

Politically, I don't like the Cubans, and I don't like the Vietnamese. 

Both groups do make great sandwiches though.   And those bikini coffee houses in Little Saigon...

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

And those bikini coffee houses in Little Saigon...

I wonder if that's where that business concept came from. I remember hearing someone tell me about one in the Bay Area and it seemed all so random! 

10 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

And here's how fucked up OC is...47% of the voters think Katie Porter shouldn't be in office.  She's the fucking Mike Trout of the house, and 47% voted for somebody else. 

If she switched the letter after her name from (D) to (R), she'd win in a landslide. 

46 minutes ago, YChang said:

I wonder if that's where that business concept came from. I remember hearing someone tell me about one in the Bay Area and it seemed all so random! 

they've been around for years in OC. I first saw on 15 years ago, give or take. 

And, in my college days, the Viet chicks all dressed slutty as fuck, whereas the other asian girls tended to be on the conservative side, generally speaking.   Their politics are conservative, but their morals are a tad on the liberal side (generally, based on my observations and nothing else).

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

And, in my college days, the Viet chicks all dressed slutty as fuck, whereas the other asian girls tended to be on the conservative side, generally speaking.   Their politics are conservative, but their morals are a tad on the liberal side (generally, based on my observations and nothing else).

Same.  For years I worked with an engineer -- maybe the smartest guy I've ever met -- who was really, really sheltered.  He grew up in rural Alabama, and walked the walk.  He met and married a gal from Viet Nam who dressed and acted like a character from "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills".  It didn't take very long for her to start cheating on him.  He was really naive.

Gov. Greg Abbott said Friday he is moving another $500 million to fund Operation Lone Star, his border security initiative at the Texas-Mexico border. The move comes three weeks after state military officials said the multibillion-dollar operation was in need of an infusion of cash to keep it afloat through the end of the year.

Abbott said the money would be taken from the budgets of other Texas agencies, including nearly $210 million from the state’s Health and Human Services Commission over two years and about $160 million from the Texas Department of Public Safety. The Texas Department of Criminal Justice, Department of State Health Services and Juvenile Justice Department will each see tens of millions of dollars taken from their budgets to fund the border mission, Abbott said.

In a letter to the agencies, Abbott said that “this transfer will not affect any agency or program function.” But his announcement did not say whether he expected those agencies would be reimbursed later or would be expected to make cuts. The governor’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Operation Lone Star’s price tag for taxpayers is upwards of $2 billion a year. State officials already transferred another $480 million from other agencies in January to keep the operation running through the spring.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/04/29/greg-abbott-texas-border-mission-funding/

• Rage+1 6

12 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Abbott said the money would be taken from the budgets of other Texas agencies, including nearly $210 million from the state’s Health and Human Services Commission over two years and about $160 million from the Texas Department of Public Safety. 

So he's putting it up on a tee for the Dems -- "In 2022, Greg Abbott partially defunded the state police force.  He does not support our men in blue."

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Gov. Greg Abbott said Friday he is moving another $500 million to fund Operation Lone Star, his border security initiative at the Texas-Mexico border. The move comes three weeks after state military officials said the multibillion-dollar operation was in need of an infusion of cash to keep it afloat through the end of the year.

Abbott said the money would be taken from the budgets of other Texas agencies, including nearly $210 million from the state’s Health and Human Services Commission over two years and about $160 million from the Texas Department of Public Safety. The Texas Department of Criminal Justice, Department of State Health Services and Juvenile Justice Department will each see tens of millions of dollars taken from their budgets to fund the border mission, Abbott said.

In a letter to the agencies, Abbott said that “this transfer will not affect any agency or program function.” But his announcement did not say whether he expected those agencies would be reimbursed later or would be expected to make cuts. The governor’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Operation Lone Star’s price tag for taxpayers is upwards of $2 billion a year. State officials already transferred another $480 million from other agencies in January to keep the operation running through the spring.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/04/29/greg-abbott-texas-border-mission-funding/

Fuck. HHSC doesn’t need more cuts. Damnit.

It’s just HEALTH and HUMAN Services. I mean, fuck that, right? They could be helping a brown. Can’t have that.
  • Rage+1 1

Losing business to New Mexico.  Nice job, Greg.

"Texas Governor Greg Abbott’s border crackdown is generating fresh backlash, with Mexico’s economy minister announcing that a new rail line to the U.S. would now go via New Mexico instead of the Lone Star State.

“We’re now not going to use Texas,” Economy Minister Tatiana Clouthier said at a conference Thursday in Mexico City, referring to a planned rail and ports expansion known as the T-MEC Corridor to connect the Pacific port of Mazatlan to the Canadian city of Winnipeg. “We can’t leave all the eggs in one basket and be hostages to someone who wants to use trade as a political tool.”

Clouthier’s message was clear: Mexico is angry about the chaos at the border caused by Abbott’s surprise order a few weeks back to force commercial trucks coming from Mexico to undergo additional inspections. While Texas officials didn’t uncover any contraband or undocumented migrants, they created hours-long delays that left fresh produce to rot and caused havoc with supply chains."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-29/texas-border-chaos-spurs-rebuke-from-mexico-s-economy-minister

• Like 2

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

Losing business to New Mexico.  Nice job, Greg.

"Texas Governor Greg Abbott’s border crackdown is generating fresh backlash, with Mexico’s economy minister announcing that a new rail line to the U.S. would now go via New Mexico instead of the Lone Star State.

“We’re now not going to use Texas,” Economy Minister Tatiana Clouthier said at a conference Thursday in Mexico City, referring to a planned rail and ports expansion known as the T-MEC Corridor to connect the Pacific port of Mazatlan to the Canadian city of Winnipeg. “We can’t leave all the eggs in one basket and be hostages to someone who wants to use trade as a political tool.”

Clouthier’s message was clear: Mexico is angry about the chaos at the border caused by Abbott’s surprise order a few weeks back to force commercial trucks coming from Mexico to undergo additional inspections. While Texas officials didn’t uncover any contraband or undocumented migrants, they created hours-long delays that left fresh produce to rot and caused havoc with supply chains."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-29/texas-border-chaos-spurs-rebuke-from-mexico-s-economy-minister

giphy.gif

21 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

HO.  LEE.  GOD. DAMN.  FUCK

Will the next round of corporate tax cuts required to keep every viable business from packing up and hauling ass be funded by yet another increase in property taxes or will the savings from no longer having to fund public education cover it?

The abortion thing may not get Karen all that fired up, but this might.  When Hot Wheels cuts into her day drinking time now that the free babysitting gig is up shit will hit the fan.

• Hook 'Em 1

I swear I read in the property tax thread where the state just disappeared a $1.4B windfall last year. They could use that to 'relieve the burden'. Or maybe that was just fake news.

Or the $2billion we are spending every year on border grandstanding
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

So I guess Brown v Board is up next on the chopping block.

Exactly! Reduce funding with Plyler versus Doe and overturn Brown vs Board to make sure all the targeted browns are in the same place. You hear that @Johnny Sack? You are getting your school back. No more need to send your kids to Kinkaid. You can spend that 25k on vacation.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Exactly! Reduce funding with Plyler versus Doe and overturn Brown vs Board to make sure all the targeted browns are in the same place. You hear that @Johnny Sack? You are getting your school back. No more need to send your kids to Kinkaid. You can spend that 25k on vacation.

Kinkaid is pretty hard to get a spot. You just can’t show up with a blank check. From what I’ve heard 

11 hours ago, RexWilson said:

This is stuff you do after the election, not before. I wonder if Abbott is concerned about a third party run against him ? 

moving further to the right before the election is odd when he won the primary 

go Beto go 

This is stuff you do after the election, not before. I wonder if Abbott is concerned about a third party run against him ? 

moving further to the right before the election is odd when he won the primary 

go Beto go 

Or, and hear me out, there’s support for the idea that ~52% of Texans would low key be cool with that
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Or, and hear me out, there’s support for the idea that ~52% of Texans would low key be cool with that

Or, and hear me out, Texas is going to re-elect Abbott with a comfortable margin even if he pushes legislation setting all puppies on fire.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

Or, and hear me out, Texas is going to re-elect Abbott with a comfortable margin even if he pushes legislation setting all puppies on fire.

Correct. We are at the point in the game where the GQP is entertaining itself by taunting humanity with how ridiculous and awful it can be and still easily win re-election. “Check this out….we are literally going to douse puppies with gasoline and light them on fire while singing the Russian national anthem while special invited guest Lindsay Graham buttfucks a teenaged Filipino boy, and we’ll GAIN voters!”

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You mean those disgusting, miscegenated, mixed breed MUTS?  Kill ‘em all!  /Abbott  /GQP

• Like 1