Soup, Stew, Chili, Gumbo (Cold weather eats)

Etexhorn13

This is somewhat of a go-to of ours when it’s cold out. I’ve made some adjustments to the recipe (more curry paste, double the garlic, and adding cayenne, served over cauliflower rice) but overall it’s really easy and always turns out good.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/easy-chicken-curry-with-vegetables-recipe-2107356

5A7CB525-0190-4C87-9CA3-C74CF609747F.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

This is somewhat of a go-to of ours when it’s cold out. I’ve made some adjustments to the recipe (more curry paste, double the garlic, and adding cayenne, served over cauliflower rice) but overall it’s really easy and always turns out good.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/easy-chicken-curry-with-vegetables-recipe-2107356

5A7CB525-0190-4C87-9CA3-C74CF609747F.jpeg

image.jpeg.a98be957f724369eb3b1d055ede0dcd3.jpeg

roast brats, half a cabbage (quartered then sliced), and a turnip cut into batons, at 400 until you get some nice charred bits on the cabbage and the brats are browned.  meanwhile, saute your mirepoix a dutch oven.  once nicely cooked, add some crushed garlic and chicken base.  season with salt, pepper, marjoram, and TJ's mushroom umami seasoning.  add quartered gold potatoes and water, bring to boil, reduce to simmer.  when the roasted stuff is ready, add into the pot and continue simmering until potatoes are done.  garnish with chopped celery leaves (or parsley, i had celery leaves). 
i was looking for a fennel bulb for this as well but HEB was out even though it was open

0f7b8a4e92f2da6ad6635cdcbd3b8553.jpg

Thanks for the recipe. It was delicious
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

You gots a recipe, amigo? Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoiler

1 box JIFFY corn muffin mix

1 egg

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup creamed corn

1 lb ground beef

1 onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 tsp salt (I added more)

1 tsp. cumin (I added more)

1 tsp. chili powder (I added more)

10 oz can red enchiladas sauce (divided)

cheddar cheese, shredded

Monterey jack cheese, shredded

small handful cilantro leaves, chopped

Fresh jalapeño

Mix jiffy mix, egg, creamed corn, sour cream and put in greased baking dish for 20 min. Meanwhile, brown beef with all the diced onion and salt to sweat the onions. Drain beef, then add garlic first, then put back beef and add cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper. Poke holes in the cornbread when it’s done and pour half a cup or so of enchilada sauce (just kinda cover it), then add beef mixture. Cover with cheese and more enchilada sauce, too with jalapeños and bake for 15-20 min in 400 degree oven. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Spoiler

1 box JIFFY corn muffin mix

1 egg

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup creamed corn

1 lb ground beef

1 onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 tsp salt (I added more)

1 tsp. cumin (I added more)

1 tsp. chili powder (I added more)

10 oz can red enchiladas sauce (divided)

cheddar cheese, shredded

Monterey jack cheese, shredded

small handful cilantro leaves, chopped

Fresh jalapeño

Mix jiffy mix, egg, creamed corn, sour cream and put in greased baking dish for 20 min. Meanwhile, brown beef with all the diced onion and salt to sweat the onions. Drain beef, then add garlic first, then put back beef and add cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper. Poke holes in the cornbread when it’s done and pour half a cup or so of enchilada sauce (just kinda cover it), then add beef mixture. Cover with cheese and more enchilada sauce, too with jalapeños and bake for 15-20 min in 400 degree oven. 

Thanks Etex! Gonna try it tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I added jalapeños to the cornbread along with chipotle powder, ancho powder, cumin. Added more seasoning to meat along with chopped chipotles and adobo. Can of corn. Came out great. Wife wants me to make it with smoked chicken and green chili next time. Great flexible fish. Thanks!

1ce87d5cf91d3339391cab57a185d656.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I will add that my wife accidentally bought the honey flavored jiffy cornbread mix, and after some initial disappointment it turned out really well, adding some sweetness to all the savory in that dish. To me it’s more like enchilada pie, so the smoked chicken/green chili edition i bet will be just as awesome. 

also good move adding extra seasoning to meat and cornbread… I pretty much take any recipe as a baseline and add this and that or extra seasoning as I see fit, as I imagine most recipes are made for someone from Kansas that likes their food bland and black pepper is “too spicy”.

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I will add that my wife accidentally bought the honey flavored jiffy cornbread mix, and after some initial disappointment it turned out really well, adding some sweetness to all the savory in that dish.

Honey and chipotle is as classic a flavor combo as tomato, basil and mozzarella.  I make honey chipotle glazes for all kinds of roasted meats like pork shoulder, chicken, etc.  Always a fan favorite.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Awesomeness Dc! Recipe please. My mom made a great tamale pie when I was a kid and she quit making it at some point. Never found the recipe.

It's Etex's from above.  Larger pan, so I doubled the cornbread part.  Added rotel because I was out of chilies.  Dosed the enchilada sauce with a little cinnamon.

My mom had a similar recipe for tamale pie.  Just sub the cornbread for frozen tamales to line the bottom of the pan.

Edited by dcbc

@Etexhorn13

Regarding the prep and not the ingredients, I have a few questions and need clarification on items.

To wit:

after mixing the Jiffy mix, egg, cc and sc you say to put in a greased baking dish for 20 minutes.  Literally put it in a greased baking dish and leave it at room temp?  Mold out the mixture into what I assume is the crust to bottom of the baking dish?  Was the 20 minute instruction also to include a cooking time (20 minutes) and temp?

"poke holes in cornbread": how many?  A few? A bunch? How big? Toothpick size holes or .308?

This will go over well at deer camp.  Thanks for the recipe.

I'll hang up and listen.

On 10/9/2022 at 5:38 PM, EuroHorn said:

For those who have an instant pot. This is a great gumbo recipe. Also this guy’s website has really good recipes 

https://pressureluckcooking.com/instant-pot-gumbo/

You're going to Cajun hell, but I guess that's the  kind of gumbo recipe you should expect from someone with Euro in their name

[mention=1528]Etexhorn13[/mention]
Regarding the prep and not the ingredients, I have a few questions and need clarification on items.
To wit:
after mixing the Jiffy mix, egg, cc and sc you say to put in a greased baking dish for 20 minutes.  Literally put it in a greased baking dish and leave it at room temp?  Mold out the mixture into what I assume is the crust to bottom of the baking dish?  Was the 20 minute instruction also to include a cooking time (20 minutes) and temp?
"poke holes in cornbread": how many?  A few? A bunch? How big? Toothpick size holes or .308?
I'll hang up and listen.

I baked at 400 for that 20 minutes. I poked a lot of holes with a knife and just did a criss cross pattern. I also used buttermilk instead of sour cream and just added a bit of sour cream to thin it out.
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, deadshank said:

@Etexhorn13

To wit:

I'll hang up and listen.

.308 made me guffaw. I'm more of a 6.5 holemaker.

Looks delicious, BTW. Gonna try this this weekend.

45 minutes ago, deadshank said:

@Etexhorn13

To wit:

I'll hang up and listen.

Basically what @dcbc said. Bake the cornbread for 20 min at 400 and then poke holes however you see fit… just so long as that enchilada sauce can kinda get in and soak into the cornbread. I think I used a fork but crisscross with a knife is a good idea too. 

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Basically what @dcbc said. Bake the cornbread for 20 min at 400 and then poke holes however you see fit… just so long as that enchilada sauce can kinda get in and soak into the cornbread. I think I used a fork but crisscross with a knife is a good idea too. 

OK.  I won't shoot holes in it.

• Haha 3

I think I’ll just put the enchiladas sauce Hatch Tex Mex, into the batter.

I also gotta dig it up but Tommy Tamale has a recipe for tamale dressing that is tits for the holidays. Combined with my cranberry jalapeño orange relish they both go great with whatever else is on the table. Like your sis in law’s dry as fuck turkey.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2022 at 5:38 PM, EuroHorn said:

For those who have an instant pot. This is a great gumbo recipe. Also this guy’s website has really good recipes 

https://pressureluckcooking.com/instant-pot-gumbo/

Wow…I can’t let that one go. That is a terrible recipe and the author is clearly a fucking idiot. 

Or…maybe that’s what’s missing in my Gumbo…fucking KETCHUP!

• Fuck You 1

On 10/12/2022 at 1:32 AM, Texzilla58 said:

Awesomeness Dc! Recipe please. My mom made a great tamale pie when I was a kid and she quit making it at some point. Never found the recipe.

You literally made this in February and posted it on this page.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:45 PM, Texzilla58 said:

So I added jalapeños to the cornbread along with chipotle powder, ancho powder, cumin. Added more seasoning to meat along with chopped chipotles and adobo. Can of corn. Came out great. Wife wants me to make it with smoked chicken and green chili next time. Great flexible fish. Thanks!

1ce87d5cf91d3339391cab57a185d656.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

No pictures, but I made some Cajun White Bean Soup the other day. 

Brown up about a pound and a half of andouille sausage sliced up.  Set aside.  Made a light roux with the drippings.  Add cajun trinity, saute, season, and add a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes and great northern beans (I used four cans drained, but you can cook up the real deal ahead of time if you want).  A little soy sauce because why not.  Bring up the volume with chicken stock about an inch or so over all of it.  Simmer and stir occasionally for about 45 minutes.  Serve over rice.

• Like 1