Soup, Stew, Chili, Gumbo (Cold weather eats)

Etexhorn13

2 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

I don't doubt it'd work, but potato soup is more times than not a spur of the moment thing around here. 

I used to do the boil or bake methods, but I'm super pleased with 1.5 hour potato soup in the pressure cooker.  Tastes damn good, easy enough to throw on while the wife is picking up the kids from daycare and we have a fresh cooked dinner ready at a good time.  

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Green Chili Pork Stew

1 pack of bone in country ribs

1 chopped onion 

seasonings of your choice 

2 tablespoons of minced garlic 

green sauce - boiled, then blended 5 tomatillos and 2 jalapeños. Poured between layers of meat 

crockpot on high

A52A6F67-0F80-4A3B-A322-7A5A3C0389EA.jpeg

following the shit out of this one! How much time, and do those bags work as advertised? Do anything to the flavor/texture?

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

following the shit out of this one! How much time, and do those bags work as advertised? Do anything to the flavor/texture?

my biggest concern - was 5 tomatillos and 2 jalapeños enough ? Tasting the blend, the spice / taste was great, so I dumped it all in 

those bags work great. I use them all the time 

4 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

We use those bags any time we use the crock pot, they work great and make clean up so much easier.

4 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

taste is good. couple of tips

1. I thought I added enough salt, it needs more salt (i cook with very low salt). add more garlic too. should have added cumino. couple of chicken tomato bullion cubes too

2. use boneless country ribs (way too many tiny bone pieces). toast / brown them before going into the crockpot. toasting will really add a lot.

3. spice level was avg (for me). next time ill add another jalapeno and tamtillo, and 3 serrano peppers, into the boil, then blend

4. add in some flour or corn starch, thicker gravy would be really nice 

ill make a mexican rice later, eat it over that

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

taste is good. couple of tips

1. I thought I added enough salt, it needs more salt (i cook with very low salt). add more garlic too. should have added cumino. couple of chicken tomato bullion cubes too

2. use boneless country ribs (way too many tiny bone pieces). toast / brown them before going into the crockpot. toasting will really add a lot.

3. spice level was avg (for me). next time ill add another jalapeno and tamtillo, and 3 serrano peppers, into the boil, then blend

ill make a mexican rice later, eat it over that

this comes out much better in a pot on the stove. get the meat very toasty, then add ingredients and let it simmer. 100% use boneless pork. I hadn't bought country style pork ribs in a long time, but back in the day it was ONE big bone. this pack had way too many smaller bone pieces. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

this comes out much better in a pot on the stove. get the meat very toasty, then add ingredients and let it simmer. 100% use boneless pork. I hadn't bought country style pork ribs in a long time, but back in the day it was ONE big bone. this pack had way too many smaller bone pieces. 

That's a good tip about the bone. I'd normally buy a small cut of butt, package of carnitas cut or even a picnic roast.

This got me digging around the youtubes yesterday, and though no doubt it'd come out better on the stove, it is cool to know a good crockpot recipe.

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Some of the people I saw doing similar in a crock pot would brown the chunks of meat coated in flour (even the larger chunks they'd later break down), then add to the pot and mix with the salsa. Seemed those were a bit thicker. 

Then some would add a little slurry of the Maseca, but normally if I'm thickening something up I do a corn starch slurry. 

Making any kind of roast, whether in a crockpot, Dutch oven, or a stove pot. The meat will get heavily seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and the coated in wondra flour, then browned heavily in high temp oil. It makes a big difference.

If the gravy isn’t thick at the end then it gets the cornstarch slurry.

Last week I made a lot of beef soup for a friend’s mother and it came out great. So I had to make a pot for myself. 

1. need a bigger pot. 8qt is just right for me. Heavy bottom. We’ll made 

3ECCD527-2803-4A9E-B41B-E124B4F44A50.jpeg.ea25e0f99e8ac2a7079884162ac09e65.jpeg

2 Avengers Assemble !

6AC86DB2-CC75-4CD5-8A29-5E496BB6A455.thumb.jpeg.21e101d6ee7828bc0b7465daddd34c72.jpeg781FD386-02EB-40AA-BE17-55F94D2DE71C.thumb.jpeg.3f9424c2fd6dbcbab9af85bc98228b20.jpeg

3. I cut up and simmer the entire meat package. I pick out the fatty stuff afterwards. 

4. Chop up everything as the meat simmers 

9AE1C089-8E08-4035-BE2F-D154AEC0879A.thumb.jpeg.098995efa408add9474154fedd97c923.jpeg

5. got a pleasant surprise / text. Had to shut it down. The ‘getting laid’ thread gets a nice update later. Shower and get the strength back in my legs. It’s hell being 50. 

5. warm up the meat, add spices and chopped onion. Simmer for 10 mins or so

F4B31AAA-A1FC-437F-AC36-5FFDAAA9496A.thumb.jpeg.5e93f848c6670518f24ac21cdbe73fef.jpeg04DCC91E-9158-487B-B180-FB673E83B908.thumb.jpeg.4ebbadb37be4bba36c9303b7897c17e1.jpeg

6. add chopped veggies, can of diced tomatoes (2 cans works too), and more broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 mins or so.

AE7BBC54-26BB-476D-9060-220052B614B3.thumb.jpeg.d3ccf76739fd67177a7f7b5226e32ef5.jpeg

7. I check the taste seasoning here. Do all that as you see fit. When carrots are soft enough. I bring it to one more high boil.

8. Add cabbage and turn it off. 

came out great. Taste is just excellent 

DDF7582C-FFD4-47B0-A9D2-224AA13FD8AA.jpeg

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2

well...when in Rome, eh...
20221031_170858.thumb.jpg.94bfa38a476603337d084c71e7d05de7.jpg20221031_174638.thumb.jpg.67bef0580b244138ed6c19d097a1a86f.jpg20221031_180317.thumb.jpg.8065cefa9b1a2d61249367dd6c55a197.jpg20221031_183311.thumb.jpg.32bef6ba12f027caa7ddca341ce0f0d9.jpg
chicken green chili!
inspired by the Denver flea Market this weekend that had a huge Mexican produce section. i had no idea what i was doing... scratch that, i do know what I'm doing in the kitchen, obviously i just didn't follow a recipe, went on instinct. never cooked a tomatillo before!
blended everything in first pic for a sauce, retaining some of the liquid. chicken thighs diced and browned with chili powder, comino, chile-lime seasoning, onion, garlic and another sliced jalapeno. added one cube each Knorr caldo de tomate y caldo de pollo, then flour, then the blended sauce. let it simmer for an hour, adding the leftover cooking liquid as needed...
20221031_192834.thumb.jpg.78c6c09fab3f18c5d90d6dd29e608ab2.jpg
served over white rice, finished with fresh squeezed lime, cilantro, and sharp cheddar.
good-damn.gif.9b0c9258d40bf9f444fee71d176a55bc.gif

Love tomatillos. Such a great flavor.
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Holy shit. That might be the best thing I've seen in any of the food threads.

Did you make the wonton dough yourself? If so, recipe me please.

I can make the dough but I prefer not to since wonton wrappers are so cheap to buy.  You can get 60 or so wrappers for a few dollars.  It's way more effort to make the wrappers than being store bought.  The heart of the wontons is the stuffing so I put more effort into that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Perfection, bro. Does the raw pork in the wontons cook ok? 

Yes.  Just throw it in boiling water for 3-5 minutes.  You can tell they are done when they start floating.  I usually do that and then transfer it to whatever broth i'm using and let it sit in that for a few minutes to have it absorb some more flavor. 

• Drool 1

On 11/2/2022 at 7:47 AM, UncleBuck said:

That's a good tip about the bone. I'd normally buy a small cut of butt, package of carnitas cut or even a picnic roast.

This got me digging around the youtubes yesterday, and though no doubt it'd come out better on the stove, it is cool to know a good crockpot recipe.

Some of the people I saw doing similar in a crock pot would brown the chunks of meat coated in flour (even the larger chunks they'd later break down), then add to the pot and mix with the salsa. Seemed those were a bit thicker. 

Then some would add a little slurry of the Maseca, but normally if I'm thickening something up I do a corn starch slurry. 

On the cut of pork, HEB sells boneless pork stew meat in 1 to 1.5 pound packages.  It seems to be cut from the pork butt. I used it recently and it would be perfect for any braised or stewed pork dish.  

38 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I like the multi-crouton approach.  Any port in a storm.  Tips on getting the onions right?  I've tried to make it and got too dark and it had a bit of a bitter taste.

Just keep the heat low.  Stir a lot and be patient.  It takes 45-50 minutes to get it done.  So just keep a close eye on it.  Mine got brown but yes there is a fine line where too brown gives it a burnt taste

1 hour ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Made butternut squash bisque tonight. It’s a nostalgia thing for me for sure… growing up in our restaurant this time of year it was a safe bet this would be in my dads short rotation for soup du jour. Bacon garnish was my idea, because why not.

58D307B6-AA99-41CA-96C3-926BA4C87C28.jpeg

Name of restaurant?  Oh, and that looks like it slams.

Edited by dcbc

So a year or two ago I sent Etexhorn13 tree-fiddy, (not really), and he sent me a .pdf of his family's restaurant cookbook, (really!), and as it just so happens, I've been perusing it for something different to add to our typical T'giving repast. 

So I post to thank him again for his generosity and to point out that the recipe for butternut squash bisque is NOT IN IT!!

😁🤘

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

So a year or two ago I sent Etexhorn13 tree-fiddy, (not really), and he sent me a .pdf of his family's restaurant cookbook, (really!), and as it just so happens, I've been perusing it for something different to add to our typical T'giving repast. 

So I post to thank him again for his generosity and to point out that the recipe for butternut squash bisque is NOT IN IT!!

😁🤘

Page 18, homie. Also, that recipe makes a bunch but if you’re looking for thanksgiving stuff, we’d pretty much always have it as a first course for our thanksgiving meal so it definitely fits the bill for what you’re looking for.

00DC3417-DBFB-4CA8-8FC0-E25D47CC5D0F.jpeg

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Like 5

Ha! You're right. But for some reason it's not in the table of contents- Only the spinach soup since its the top of the page I guess.  And having no interest in spinach soup, I hadn't scrolled down. Anyway, thanks again for the book and the heads up. The squash soup may make an appearance. 

AND I'll have to go through the book again more carefully and see what else I missed.  🦃🦃

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

Ha! You're right. But for some reason it's not in the table of contents- Only the spinach soup since its the top of the page I guess.  And having no interest in spinach soup, I hadn't scrolled down. Anyway, thanks again for the book and the heads up. The squash soup may make an appearance. 

AND I'll have to go through the book again more carefully and see what else I missed.  🦃🦃

I’m about to reprint a bunch of these as a gift for my parents to sell when they close the restaurant next month, and one request my dad had was that he needs to swap out that spinach soup recipe for his leak and spinach soup, which is somewhat the signature soup for their restaurant and a crowd favorite. Don’t knock it til you try it!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Page 18, homie. Also, that recipe makes a bunch but if you’re looking for thanksgiving stuff, we’d pretty much always have it as a first course for our thanksgiving meal so it definitely fits the bill for what you’re looking for.

00DC3417-DBFB-4CA8-8FC0-E25D47CC5D0F.jpeg

Stealing this. I love cooking in winter.