Soup, Stew, Chili, Gumbo (Cold weather eats)

Etexhorn13

I’m about to reprint a bunch of these as a gift for my parents to sell when they close the restaurant next month, and one request my dad had was that he needs to swap out that spinach soup recipe for his leak and spinach soup, which is somewhat the signature soup for their restaurant and a crowd favorite. Don’t knock it til you try it!

Hey, our me down for one. Love real-deal Texas cookbooks, and love supporting Texas family businesses.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Using the last of our Norwegian fiskesuppe mix from our friends (asked the daughter to bring some back from Sweden at Xmas). It’s really just a soup base, then you add what you want. Yeah, it’s a mix and not fancy, but it’s easy, warm, and we like it. It’s a familie favoritt!

9468a220668e965cdd39c6a273560b6f.jpg

I like how a Nordic country has to specify that it’s mild… uh, no shit buddy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Using the last of our Norwegian fiskesuppe mix from our friends (asked the daughter to bring some back from Sweden at Xmas). It’s really just a soup base, then you add what you want. Yeah, it’s a mix and not fancy, but it’s easy, warm, and we like it. It’s a familie favoritt!

9468a220668e965cdd39c6a273560b6f.jpg

Now with Less Lye!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m about to reprint a bunch of these as a gift for my parents to sell when they close the restaurant next month, and one request my dad had was that he needs to swap out that spinach soup recipe for his leak and spinach soup, which is somewhat the signature soup for their restaurant and a crowd favorite. Don’t knock it til you try it!

Hey, our me down for one. Love real-deal Texas cookbooks, and love supporting Texas family businesses.

2b99f00b7857e32fd5698303d0bd0c78.jpg

On 2/16/2022 at 7:10 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

*Tamale Pie has re-entered the group chat*

91531FDD-0AAE-4BA6-8795-61B1F426F454.jpeg

F95D37BF-213B-4BD3-9525-1E9C17B4A603.jpeg

Completed my maiden voyage into the seas of tamale pie at deer camp tonight.   One venison and brisket and one yard boss.  It turned out well and errbody was pleased.  Thanks for sharing the recipe!

AB6DA2F0-EEEA-4027-B3CA-186D2CE1C932.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 8

On 11/28/2022 at 3:07 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Green Chile Stew

I'm still using the recipe posted by MalibuSheriff back on shaggy. This stuff rocks. But I’ve got carrots. It wouldn’t have hurt to have added carrots. Next time I’m adding carrots.

F7C7B3F1-678F-400B-B8EE-A4B3A1C4A3FB.thumb.jpeg.e0f3b2fded8d3f271b104ec3cb8c7169.jpeg

596806C5-3AA0-4192-A681-A7E6CEAEF761.thumb.jpeg.eaf8c6e50ea199c3a2ef0189854fa3b1.jpeg

You’re making me hungry.  I’m especially hungry for this as I’m in Kansas City freezing my ass off at present…GCS would hit the spot.

chicken n dumplings

20221129_192440.thumb.jpg.ac72c33ee6df6c7fdfc08cbfe0c66c95.jpg
20221129_194152.thumb.jpg.1be359a701f9ff4019500dbe68edd4c7.jpg

Recipe please. My wife and I have long arguments about chicken and dumplings. Hers used to look like these in olden times when we got married. My mother then told her she preferred dumplings made like noodles or worse, flour tortillas. She forgot how to make the old way, I hate the recent renditions so we have none.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Decided to put some chili in the oven so I could run errands while it simmered. May just do it this way from now on.

Sautéed the meat, onion, garlic and then added the purée. Brought to a simmer, covered, and put in a 350 oven for 2 hours. I thought it’d take 3 hours but it was perfectly tender after two. Now it’s keeping warm until dinner.

3 lbs Chuck diced small
1 diced onion
6 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves

A purée of:
4 ancho
4 guajillo
4 chipotle
Big box of beef stock
Cumin
Garlic powder
Smoked paprika
Coriander
Salt
Black pepper

c96adbe6852f84ba775f05b37d75f41a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

27 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Decided to put some chili in the oven so I could run errands while it simmered. May just do it this way from now on.

Sautéed the meat, onion, garlic and then added the purée. Brought to a simmer, covered, and put in a 350 oven for 2 hours. I thought it’d take 3 hours but it was perfectly tender after two. Now it’s keeping warm until dinner.

3 lbs Chuck diced small
1 diced onion
6 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves

A purée of:
4 ancho
4 guajillo
4 chipotle
Big box of beef stock
Cumin
Garlic powder
Smoked paprika
Coriander
Salt
Black pepper

c96adbe6852f84ba775f05b37d75f41a.jpg

Awesome.. this is real chili, not only does it not have beans, but no tomatoes either.. Nice job!

On 11/18/2022 at 4:54 AM, DoobieWah said:

So a year or two ago I sent Etexhorn13 tree-fiddy, (not really), and he sent me a .pdf of his family's restaurant cookbook, (really!), and as it just so happens, I've been perusing it for something different to add to our typical T'giving repast. 

So I post to thank him again for his generosity and to point out that the recipe for butternut squash bisque is NOT IN IT!!

😁🤘

Just to let you know, there were a few updates to the cookbook and this was one of them. I told him how I made it the week before and how simple it was and he said “that doesn’t sound like my soup…” anyway, this will yield better results. Don’t mind wonky formatting from my phone.

4C458674-1E12-42BA-9D9C-3F8D05828F7A.jpeg

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 11/30/2022 at 8:48 AM, Texzilla58 said:

Recipe please. My wife and I have long arguments about chicken and dumplings. Hers used to look like these in olden times when we got married. My mother then told her she preferred dumplings made like noodles or worse, flour tortillas. She forgot how to make the old way, I hate the recent renditions so we have none.

On 11/30/2022 at 8:50 AM, jimmyjazz said:

My "dumplings" are usually Pillsbury pop-tube biscuits, quartered.

not much more complicated than jj...

2 1/4 c Bisquick

2/3 cup milk

some chopped parsley and ground black pepper

they were light and fluffy and thickened the whole pot really well! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mchookem said:

not much more complicated than jj...

2 1/4 c Bisquick

2/3 cup milk

some chopped parsley and ground black pepper

they were light and fluffy and thickened the whole pot really well! 

About to post this.  That’s how my grandmother made dumplings.  They turn out fluffier than the thick pasta like dumplings you typically see in chicken and dumplings.  

• Hook 'Em 1

This thread inspired me to try my hand at chile verde/green chile stew/whatever you want to call it for the first time (both cooking and eating) a few weeks ago. I revisited it this weekend and actually took a few crappy pictures and paid attention to what I was doing a bit more, as I cook by sight and taste 99.99999% of the time and forget exact quantities etc... or just kinda do it by heart.

Started off by toasting eight tomatillos, 1/4 white onion, couple of pieces of bell pepper, a large jalapeno and a medium size poblano on the grill. Wasn't trying to make it too spicy, as the in-laws were gunna come by and have some, so I didn't want to blow both them and the kids out. 

image.png.825e8d58989609310b5035f987f0a729.png

Finish toasting those guys up and set them aside in the microwave while I prepped the meat, which didn't take too much as HEB didn't have any smaller portions of pork butt out, so I bought the pre-cut carnitas cut package at about 3.25 lbs. Maybe took .25 lbs of chunky fat off. 

Took the pieces, salt and pepper just a little bit, then coated with flour and browned in vegetable oil in two separate batches. 

As I browned the meat I ran the veggies/salsa through the food processor with a handful of cilantro, some minced garlic and a little s&p. Also added an unknown amount (maybe a cup) of salsa verde I keep in the fridge. Once the meat was finished, I removed the leftover oil and de-glazed the pot with a little bit of chicken broth. I then added the blended salsa to the pot, and ran a little more chicken broth through the processor to pick up what was left behind and add that to the pot. Then I added a 16oz can of green enchilada sauce (hill country brand, mild), stirred it up and then placed the meat in. I then added enough chicken broth to make sure the meat was covered for the most part.

image.png.a047fd08669c9470d8afdfd5727f7338.png

Brought it to a boil, reduced to a simmer for about an hour and a half. Once that hour and a half is up the meat is ready to pull apart, so I do that as it's simmering still with a larger serving fork and regular fork. You don't have to pull it all the way at this point, just get it going into good chunks and shreads so it can get a good nice simmer in the sauce for a while. I continue to simmer without the lid maybe 20 minutes or so to let it reduce and thicken up a bit. I may have gone too long or a bit too hot, as it had reduced a bit much for me. I added a little more chicken broth. At the end I measured what I had left, and was down to about a cup left out of a 32oz box of broth.

Ended up with this. Served with rice, beans and tortillas (flour, of course), along with some red salsa The Lady made. It's definitely in the rotation now. 

image.png.66d3f460235e752ce184e572973209b8.png

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Jerk chicken 'n dumplings:  the other night I marinated some chicken breast in a jerk paste, seared it off in a skillet and baked it in the oven.  Unfortunately, other parts of the dinner didn't come together and we had to shelve it all.  After a couple of days it was use it or lose it, so I whipped up a very simple chicken 'n dumplings using that jerk chicken breast, and dang if it wasn't really tasty.  1 lb cooked chicken, a couple of carrots, a couple of celery ribs, a yellow onion, a garlic clove, 4 cups chicken stock, 1/4 cup milk, some dried thyme and 4 Pillsbury Grands biscuits quartered and floated . . . voila:

IMG_2414.JPG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jerk chicken 'n dumplings:  the other night I marinated some chicken breast in a jerk paste, seared it off in a skillet and baked it in the oven.  Unfortunately, other parts of the dinner didn't come together and we had to shelve it all.  After a couple of days it was use it or lose it, so I whipped up a very simple chicken 'n dumplings using that jerk chicken breast, and dang if it wasn't really tasty.  1 lb cooked chicken, a couple of carrots, a couple of celery ribs, a yellow onion, a garlic clove, 4 cups chicken stock, 1/4 cup milk, some dried thyme and 4 Pillsbury Grands biscuits quartered and floated . . . voila:

IMG_2414.JPG

IDK if anybody uses Bisquick any more, but as a kid, the dumplings were always made with a tight batter of that stuff seasoned with garlic, sage, rosemary and such, dropped into the boiling broth a very large tablespoon at a time.  Perfection.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

IDK if anybody uses Bisquick any more, but as a kid, the dumplings were always made with a tight batter of that stuff seasoned with garlic, sage, rosemary and such, dropped into the boiling broth a very large tablespoon at a time.  Perfection.

Yeah, if I wasn't clear, these were the pop-tube raw biscuits.  That's as close to baking as I care to get.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, if I wasn't clear, these were the pop-tube raw biscuits.  That's as close to baking as I care to get.

I'm sure those worked great.  My dear, long deceased Grandmother, in her declining years, read somewhere that you could use slices of flour tortillas thrown into broth as dumplings.  She was deceived!

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've done those before and they work great. Would just throw some flour down and roll 'em out to about 1/4"ish thick, then slice them up with a pizza cutter. Haven't done it in a couple of years. Think I'll add it to the playlist.