Soup, Stew, Chili, Gumbo (Cold weather eats)

Etexhorn13

57 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Don’t be silly. You’re thinking of this:

02DAA961-CDD4-4EC0-9743-DF0726EC24F4.thumb.jpeg.ed705d974c6a7434630e9d54ce81be3d.jpeg

0B0B6CD5-DAFE-46F7-B11B-EB7F7C17838B.thumb.jpeg.b87879327774618df2db51bcef772644.jpeg

A9F3B43B-EA28-4374-AC52-0DCDFCCE9BFF.thumb.jpeg.c90a95029f23968eb148082a0f05e135.jpeg

4F357F1E-DA26-4B1F-93D7-C6041A803921.thumb.jpeg.28774273576631ee075c94bbc8a06e4f.jpeg

91975E79-BB45-45F4-B4A9-0481FEF87A6A.thumb.jpeg.74b635cabd429b29b8f39d10d2e7ccd2.jpeg

I had to add more cheese. That wasn’t enough.

as someone married to an Ohioan who orders Skyline online to get his fix and requires me to cook spaghetti even when i make Texas chili...that looks delicious 😊

it's a completely different dish, you have to get that in your head. and yes it has allspice and cinnamon...and cloves and chocolate! 😄 i have made it several times myself to make my mate happy...it took me a couple years to warm up to it but it is indeed delicious. i said what i said lol😛

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, mchookem said:

as someone married to an Ohioan who orders Skyline online to get his fix and requires me to cook spaghetti even when i make Texas chili...that looks delicious 😊

it's a completely different dish, you have to get that in your head. and yes it has allspice and cinnamon...and cloves and chocolate! 😄 i have made it several times myself to make my mate happy...it took me a couple years to warm up to it but it is indeed delicious. i said what i said lol😛

pussy remains undefeated 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, elfenix said:

this stuff is so vile the only way to eat it is by hiding it under a pound of cheddar

Like enchiladas? Are they vile? Explain cheese enchiladas. They have cheese both inside and out. What’s up with that?

I know you don’t like it when you run out of cheese on your nachos. I agree wholeheartedly. I think a rule about food that comes topped with cheese is that there should be enough cheese to have some in every bite. Another rule about cheese is that it melts. As you can see from the pics I posted, there’s a pretty good mound of pasta and sauce, then onions and hot sauce, before the cheese went on. That’s actually not a whole lot of cheese.

So I don’t think you’re being particularly honest with your comment. I think you’re expressing an opinion you don’t actually hold just to be scornful. 

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Like enchiladas? Are they vile? Explain cheese enchiladas. They have cheese both inside and out. What’s up with that?

I know you don’t like it when you run out of cheese on your nachos. I agree wholeheartedly. I think a rule about food that comes topped with cheese is that there should be enough cheese to have some in every bite. Another rule about cheese is that it melts. As you can see from the pics I posted, there’s a pretty good mound of pasta and sauce, then onions and hot sauce, before the cheese went on. That’s actually not a whole lot of cheese.

So I don’t think you’re being particularly honest with your comment. I think you’re expressing an opinion you don’t actually hold just to be scornful. 

Are you keeping track of his comments on your spreadsheet?

Recent Gumbo excursion.

I may have threatened on some thread back a moth++ ago that I was gonna make some & post pics, however I can't find that post to follow up on (I didn't really look too hard).

Anyway, scrimps, ersters, mudbug meat, lump crab & probably 3x the amount of slimers (Okra) that most of y'all typically use.

2022 Gumbo November (2).jpg

20220107_225537.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Recent Gumbo excursion.

I may have threatened on some thread back a moth++ ago that I was gonna make some & post pics, however I can't find that post to follow up on (I didn't really look too hard).

Anyway, scrimps, ersters, mudbug meat, lump crab & probably 3x the amount of slimers (Okra) that most of y'all typically use.

20220107_225537.jpg

Very rustic and full of great ingredients. Big thumbs up from me!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/12/2022 at 3:21 AM, ROFL BOX said:

Recent Gumbo excursion.

20220107_225537.jpg

There are some who would have added the "moth" to the gumbo.

• 4 weeks later...

It isn't gonna win awards for staging or photography, but this batch of black bean + roast chicken soup I made yesterday slammed and went hard.  Black beans, chicken stock, oven roasted boneless chicken thighs, onion, tomato, garlic, serrano pepper, garnished with cotija cheese and tortilla strips:image.thumb.png.9d79db66f84b337653179facea9f7622.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 3

• 2 weeks later...

Co-worker wanted Rudy's today, so i got the Pork green chile stew.

For store-bought, that was pretty damned good.  Maybe it tasted to good just because it was war...and it's 19 outside.

On 12/10/2022 at 11:13 PM, mchookem said:

The spices are just so wrong. I know many things are aquired tastes but I can't fathom acquiring a taste for that. More power to you since it keeps peace in your home.

9 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

The spices are just so wrong. I know many things are aquired tastes but I can't fathom acquiring a taste for that. More power to you since it keeps peace in your home.

Eh, it's not Texas Red but it's not like chiles, chocolate, cinnamon, cloves and allspice have never lived together in the same dish.  Think mole.

• 10 months later...

Making a hearty stew/soup for the Liberty Bowl. It will have tomato purée, copious amounts of chili powder and cumin as well as this ground pork, cubed beef loin (our hog, my buddy’s cow) and sautéed japs, serranos, poblanos, onion, shallots, and garlic. I’ll probably dump a beer in and then set it out on my smoker for a good 5-6 hours.

d0c724fe478a91351cb5f5a0bde2e63d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Making a hearty stew/soup for the Liberty Bowl. It will have tomato purée, copious amounts of chili powder and cumin as well as this ground pork, cubed beef loin (our hog, my buddy’s cow) and sautéed japs, serranos, poblanos, onion, shallots, and garlic. I’ll probably dump a beer in and then set it out on my smoker for a good 5-6 hours.

d0c724fe478a91351cb5f5a0bde2e63d.jpg

Eagerly awaiting pics of finished product.

On 1/2/2024 at 8:18 PM, elfenix said:

Felt like some ramen

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

broth made from 2.5# of neck bones and 2.5# of trotters
79bfa2a2b0d958f2d0b927207ed4db8c.jpg
braise the chashu
da91b07cc815424de04b838695b2e7a7.jpg
simmer the tare:
c859a392e1398be8ed0bb1844b46dcdd.jpg
broth is meat jello.  you can stand a spoon in it
d7efd05cdb5ceb837be221e66ff6fe91.jpg