Hunter Biden’s laptop

Hanrahan

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Stahp with the trademarks.  Geez.

Why? Ivanka getting Chinese trademarks approved while she’s working in the White House as a Special Adviser to her father the President, and while he’s engaged in a trade war with China, is a lot more suspicious than anything Hunter Biden is accused of. Seems like fair game to me.

I don’t think it matters that she and her family were already doing business in China before Trump took office. That just makes their accusations against Hunter Biden for seeking some sort of deal with the Chinese, as a private citizen, that much more hypocritical. (And, afaik, Hunter never made any actual deals with China, did he? At least not any deal implied by an email found on his laptop.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Ivanka got trademarks in China fast tracked for?

This is actually a nothing burger. She has a shoe and apparel line, with her signature as the symbol of it. Those trademarks were related to the symbol in various forms, and isn't anything out of the ordinary. 

The 2 billion to Kushner is ludicrous. How is that not the center of a Congressional investigation yet? Plus the 666 Park Avenue building, which was about another half a billion bailout for him.  What on earth would make anyone think the Saudis would give him and Trump co that kind of money, unless there were significant political, military and intelligence kickbacks involved?  Throw in the LIV golf tournaments at Trump properties, and you have some clear and obvious corruption going on in plain sight. And somehow, this is the same country that made Jimmy Carter sell his peanut farm to be President. Fucking insane. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Why? Ivanka getting Chinese trademarks approved while she’s working in the White House as a Special Adviser to her father the President, and while he’s engaged in a trade war with China, is a lot more suspicious than anything Hunter Biden is accused of. Seems like fair game to me.

I don’t think it matters that she and her family were already doing business in China before Trump took office. That just makes their accusations against Hunter Biden for seeking some sort of deal with the Chinese, as a private citizen, that much more hypocritical. (And, afaik, Hunter never made any actual deals with China, did he? At least not any deal implied by an email found on his laptop.)

I've already explained that the grant of her trademarks by CNIPA was not "fast tracked."  It occurred in the ordinary course of such things and took about a year.

As Dutchrudder says, her businesses have filed a lot of them over the years, including dozens prior to Trump running for or taking office.  And they've all taken about a year, give or take, and I can tell you from personal experience that that is about the timeframe that CNIPA operates on.

That they happened to be granted right about the time Trump took office is simply a function of when they were filed.

Trump is guilty of plenty of shit without having to make stuff up.

IP is pretty much the pinnacle of apolitical ministerial government function.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

I think that’s the biggest issue here, they just mad he packing, trumps Family women are all drooling at it. Why do you think Trump JR posted that gold photo of his dad.

I mean, this kinda has to be it doesn't it?  It's fucking insane, but I don't really see another angle.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

This is actually a nothing burger. She has a shoe and apparel line, with her signature as the symbol of it.

No less of a nothing burger than Hunter Biden getting a job or Bill Clinton’s A-rated charity getting a foreign donation. The Trumps are shady enough that they don’t get an exemption for anything that even whiffs of impropriety as long as no one else does. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No less of a nothing burger than Hunter Biden getting a job or Bill Clinton’s A-rated charity getting a foreign donation. The Trumps are shady enough that they don’t get an exemption for anything that even whiffs of impropriety as long as no one else does. 

Exactly, the next time the dotard family does anything above board will be the first time.  Everything they do is shady at best and criminal at worst.  Everything.

Speaking of, how the fuck has the NYT expose of his decades of tax fraud not become anything?  I mean, they laid it out, line by line.  Is there a sculpture of limitations on that or something?

On 9/2/2022 at 5:11 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I've already explained that the grant of her trademarks by CNIPA was not "fast tracked."  It occurred in the ordinary course of such things and took about a year.

As Dutchrudder says, her businesses have filed a lot of them over the years, including dozens prior to Trump running for or taking office.  And they've all taken about a year, give or take, and I can tell you from personal experience that that is about the timeframe that CNIPA operates on.

That they happened to be granted right about the time Trump took office is simply a function of when they were filed.

Trump is guilty of plenty of shit without having to make stuff up.

IP is pretty much the pinnacle of apolitical ministerial government function.

Even in China? I know fucking around with American companies' tech IP is more their bag, but I have a hard time thinking they weren't happy to use the threat of approval/disapproval/revocation of her or her dad's IP in China as leverage in negotiating with Trump's administration. We know Trump didn't draw a line between his personal interest and the national interest and that would've been easy leverage to manipulate.

40 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Even in China? I know fucking around with American companies' tech IP is more their bag, but I have a hard time thinking they weren't happy to use the threat of approval/disapproval/revocation of her or her dad's IP in China as leverage in negotiating with Trump's administration. We know Trump didn't draw a line between his personal interest and the national interest and that would've been easy leverage to manipulate.

I mean, I guess anything is possible.

Doesn't seem very likely, though.  And trademark registrations probably aren't that critically valuable.  Speeding them up isn't greatly valuable unless you have some immediate need to file a lawsuit and enjoin an infringer.  Similarly, denying or revoking trademarks probably isn't going to ruin anyone's day.

Patents have become more enforceable in China in the last 10-20 years, even by westerners, that may hold true for trademarks, too,  But, generally speaking, trying to enforce IP outside your home country, especially in a non-western, non-English-speaking jurisdiction is a speculative and possibly desperation move (meaning you have no alternatives).

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, I guess anything is possible.

Doesn't seem very likely, though.  And trademark registrations probably aren't that critically valuable.  Speeding them up isn't greatly valuable unless you have some immediate need to file a lawsuit and enjoin an infringer.  Similarly, denying or revoking trademarks probably isn't going to ruin anyone's day.

Anyone who's rational, you mean. But if someone is a greedy asshole who cashes checks for 13 cents and orders the national park in his hotel to reopen during a government shutdown so he can make an extra couple hundred bucks a day?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And trademark registrations probably aren't that critically valuable. 

You know this -- I managed the patent portfolio for a public company.  Totally not a lawyer, just an engineer whose name was on a bunch of our patents.

I eventually got to "kinda" enjoy patent law.  The devil is in the details.  THEN I got dragged into our trademark portfolio.  Holy shit, what an arcane and seemingly useless waste of time and money.  My take is that Ivanka's "trademark" shenanigans in China are way down the list of Trump family bullshit 2016-2020.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/2/2022 at 8:27 AM, Neonmoon said:

Kushner received 2 billion from Saudis for?

Ivanka got trademarks in China fast tracked for?

Trump literally owned a hotel next to the White House where people stayed to funnel money to Trump and his family. 

Fucking laughable.

Foreign dignitaries rented rooms even though they didn't stay there.  How was this not flat out bribery?  

https://www.newsweek.com/congressman-foreign-government-booked-trump-rooms-1462806

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trump-hotel-washington-dc-bribery-investigation-rooms-a9143236.html

Former President Donald Trump’s Washington, D.C. hotel received an estimated $3.75 million from foreign governments during his four years in office, according to a calculation that House Democrats released Friday. The Committee on Oversight and Reform explained how it reached the estimate, but it did not name the countries who paid the president’s business. 

The above link is to 33 foreign governments that stayed at Trump's DC Hotel obtained from social/media accounts and FOI Act.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Not really sure how anyone hasn’t used the headline “President for Sale.” Everyone else in the world knew that Trump could be bought. It was easier for dictators who didn’t have to worry about getting re-elected nor having to answer to their constituents about how they were spending their money. 

9 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Not really sure how anyone hasn’t used the headline “President for Sale.” Everyone else in the world knew that Trump could be bought. It was easier for dictators who didn’t have to worry about getting re-elected nor having to answer to their constituents about how they were spending their money. 

Our adversaries didn't even really need to pay for anything to snooker Trump.  Just kiss his ass and he'll roll over and give them whatever they want.  Flattery is like a huge steaming load of black tar heroin injected into his calcified veins for Trump.

• Rage+1 1

47 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You know this -- I managed the patent portfolio for a public company.  Totally not a lawyer, just an engineer whose name was on a bunch of our patents.

I eventually got to "kinda" enjoy patent law.  The devil is in the details.  THEN I got dragged into our trademark portfolio.  Holy shit, what an arcane and seemingly useless waste of time and money.  My take is that Ivanka's "trademark" shenanigans in China are way down the list of Trump family bullshit 2016-2020.

Actually, no, I didn't know you managed a portolio, although I knew you were an inventor on multiple patents and had some familiarity.

I kind of enjoy trademark stuff as a break from the patents.  The litigation can be kind of a bummer, though, because everything is so squishy.

11 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Our adversaries didn't even really need to pay for anything to snooker Trump.  Just kiss his ass and he'll roll over and give them whatever they want.  Flattery is like a huge steaming load of black tar heroin injected into his calcified veins for Trump.

It’s true that Trump can be influenced by simple flattery, appealing to his massive ego. But both the Saudis and the Russians spent money and appealed to his greed. He came right out and said how much he liked the Saudis because, and I quote, “They pay cash.” They spent a lot of money at his private property. (Trump Tower at least; I’m not sure about others.) Such a blatant conflict of interest and he boasted about it right out loud. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Actually, no, I didn't know you managed a portolio, although I knew you were an inventor on multiple patents and had some familiarity.

I drew the short straw after our general counsel went into private practice and we elected to not replace him, but rather just hire outside counsel as needed.  (He posts here.)

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

So what's the republican pot of gold at the end of this rainbow? Hunter used his dad's position to make money and bang chicks and go down water slides? And they are very, very, VERY focused on this? 

"Hey didn't the Trump kids make millions in the four years their dad----"

"Shhhh! I just saw another pic of Hunter with a woman!! Shocking!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

So what's the republican pot of gold at the end of this rainbow? Hunter used his dad's position to make money and bang chicks and go down water slides? And they are very, very, VERY focused on this? 

What they really mad about is that he has a big dock, everyone of them wishes he could be hunter.

it’s pure jealousy 

if jr was packing like hunter we would have seen it by now 

Edited by Gengs1

It's just good business for right wingers to talk about Hunter Biden and "the Biden Crime Family" as they call it. Constant deflection and projection let's their base ignore the obvious and serious issues with their orange god.  It's the exact thing Jesus was criticizing when he said, "Let me take the speck out of your eye, when all the time there is a plank in your own eye." They don't want to police their own and only focus on the enemy, because when the person on the other team does something wrong, it's clearly the only person that deserves to be held to that standard.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I will never understand why they think wall to wall coverage of Hunter Biden will be some kinda game changer for them.

They got nothing else. They are praying for the Hilary server/email with his laptop since it “could” have secret files 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

ivanka and kush made $600mil+ 

• Like 1

I just have this sense that Biden for all of his career-politician flaws, and there are many, knows that his addict son is a potential problem in so many ways and has been for decades that he's just not going to let himself get actually involved in any of it.

Hunter's going to use his family name to get ahead, of course, and, as an addict, is going to do stupid (and glorious at times) shit.  And Joe's going to get splashed with a little from time to time, but I just don't think he's ever going to be shown to be meaningfully involved in a grift.

Also, even non-politician/non-public-figure families have to learn to deal with a raving addict child and rule 1 is always to "love from a distance" and avoid entanglement at all cost.  And I just sense that Biden has done that as much as possible.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I just have this sense that Biden for all of his career-politician flaws, and there are many, knows that his addict son is a potential problem in so many ways and has been for decades that he's just not going to let himself get actually involved in any of it.

Hunter's going to use his family name to get ahead, of course, and, as an addict, is going to do stupid (and glorious at times) shit.  And Joe's going to get splashed with a little from time to time, but I just don't think he's ever going to be shown to be meaningfully involved in a grift.

Republicans are just plain silly. They want to focus attention on Hunter while completely ignoring the open grift Jared and Ivanka operated while in the White House. And if we took the emoluments clause seriously, Trump Wouk did have been sanctioned as the sitting president.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Republicans are just plain silly. They want to focus attention on Hunter while completely ignoring the open grift Jared and Ivanka operated while in the White House. And if we took the emoluments clause seriously, Trump Wouk did have been sanctioned as the sitting president.

The Trumps are prohibited from running charities now. Because they steal from them. Trump's entire existence on this planet has been one big grift. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

“If you don’t think Hunter Biden is corrupt then you’re getting YOUR news from the wrong sources!”  - My mom

He is corrupt. He has traded on a famous name to get high paying positions he is not qualified for. Who cares? That is not illegal, and has absolutely nothing to do with Joe Biden. There is no credible evidence Joe intervened or arranged in any way for him to get those jobs when he was VP, and he has done nothing to help his son get a job or do any deals since he has been POTUS. 

**edit corrupt is not the right word as he is not in any position where he could be corrupt. Lazy, entitled, and manipulative are better adjectives for him 

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

He is corrupt. He has traded on a famous name to get high paying positions he is not qualified for. Who cares? That is not illegal, and has absolutely nothing to do with Joe Biden. There is no credible evidence Joe intervened or arranged in any way for him to get those jobs when he was VP, and he has done nothing to help his son get a job or do any deals since he has been POTUS. 

**edit corrupt is not the right word as he is not in any position where he could be corrupt. Lazy, entitled, and manipulative are better adjectives for him 

It'll do.

corrupt

kə-rŭpt′

adjective

1. Marked by immorality and perversion; depraved.

16 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Yeah, it’s not corrupt. And I don’t know how qualified he was or was not nor what qualifications are really required to serve on a board of directors. He has a law degree and previous experience from when George W. Bush appointed him to the board of directors of Amtrak. Sure he’s got a name. Who doesn’t? When I was 16 I got a job at the local Dairy Queen helped in no small part by the fact that my older brother had worked there.

The weird thing is that, at worst, using your family name to get a well-paying job you’re not qualified for is so completely Republican. I’ve pointed this out before but it describes George W. Bush’s entire career in both the public and private sectors. And anybody who calls Hunter Biden corrupt while at the same time supporting the Trumps and Kushners is just being totally disingenuous. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

If by “corrupt” you mean doing what 90% of all  kids born to rich, powerful, privileged  families do then yea he is corrupt.

Yeah I changed what I said from corrupt to more apt adjectives. I wouldn’t walk across the street to piss on him if he were on fire. That doesn’t reflect on his father. And I really doubt that 90% of those kids are equivalent to Hunter Biden, but a big percentage obviously are