2022 Senate Elections

Ghost of LL

7 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Try not to suck any dick on your way to the parking lot! / Cal Cunningham

He better not think of any women besides his wife for the next 2 years. I swear to god 

15 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah he wouldn’t get out of a GOP primary. Kelli Ward turning AZ into VA and CO at record pace. 

The AZ GOP would seem like they have an opportunity with 2022. While Kelly recently won, he underperformed the polls. And Trump obviously won't be on the ballot in 2022. However the AZ GOP looks to want a scorched earth strategy with anyone they claim isn't 100% onboard with however Kelli Ward defines a republican. I would love to hear McSally come forward with a "3rd times the charm" run at this again.

For Kelly, he shouldn't have much of an opportunity to screw anything up. Yeah, perhaps Biden might push forward some ideas that are unpopular in AZ but a 50/50 senate will keep some areas off-limits like gun control.

This is basically the poster child for a Southern Democrat candidate.  Young, cute wife, 3 young kids, Army Captain/National Guard. Dude is a Redditor too - he engages with his constituents and answers a lot of questions via Reddit. 

During his 2020 campaign, he actually had to step off the trail for National Guard Service and wife handled the campaigning.  He won by 14 points.

It will probably not be a kumbaya primary - Erica Smith is running (again) and there's a big controversy that she may have (or maybe didn't) endorse Jackson's GOP opponent in the state Senate race. 

Luckily, the GOP primary will be nasty as fuck too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, 406W30th said:

So which GOP senators will hurt their reelection campaign most when they inevitably vote against convicting Trump? Does it even matter?

I don't think an acquittal vote will hurt many. It's obvious that the GOP is taking the path that Jan. 6th didn't happen and the riot was mainly disguised antifa and a few misguided people who just happened to support Trump.

• Rage+1 1

Senate GOP braces for more retirements.  For people ready to shut cede the 2022 midterms of the GOP because "that's how it always goes,"  3 retirements already on the GOP side looks more like 2018 than 2010. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/27/senate-gop-retirements-2022-462898

Potential names of GOP senators who have not made 2022 moves yet:

• Chuck Grassley - "several months from now"
  • Roy Blunt - "no timetable"
  • Shelby - 86 years old
  • Ron Johnson - no decision yet and pledged to run for 2 terms - "no hurry to decide"

Obviously Portman, Toomey and Burr have opted to retire.

On the Dem side, Blumenthal (75) is gearing up for another run.  Leahy is the only likely retirement and of the seats up in 2022, his is the most Dem leaning (Biden +35). 

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/01/us/politics/tim-ryan-ohio-senate.html

Looks like Tim Ryan is in. 

• 18 years in the House representing Eastern Ohio along the border with PA
  • Blue-collar appeal, so he speaks the same language as Sherrod Brown
  • From the Youngstown area
  • Outperformed Hillary and Biden is his district, filled with Trump Democrats (WWC voters)

2 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Only real choice out of the congressional delegation. Kaptur is 74 and Fudge/Beatty are the wrong color state-wide. 

More interested in seeing what Youngstown does voting-wise. Too bad Traficant ain’t walking through the door.

Out of the current House delegation, yes.  He may have a fight on his hands, if Amy Acton (former Ohio Dept of Heath director) and Nan Whaley (Dayton mayor) jump in.

Whaley may be better for Governor race.  They can campaign as a team - Ryan in the blue collar towns, Whaley in the suburbs. 

So far for 2022:

• PA LG Fetterman (PA) is officially filed to run 
  • Jeff Jackson (NC) is officially in, as is Erica Smith, who lost to Cunningham in the 2018 primary.  Former NC Dem Chief Justice Cheri Beasley is rumored to be looking into the race - she lost by like 400 votes in November.
  • Tim Ryan (OH) is in for the open race. 
  • No one has yet declared for the two special elections in AZ and GA, but rumored David Perdue is possibly interested in running again in Georgia
  • Hook 'Em 2

Fuck - Shelby may be Republican but he was a Democrat for decades before he switched parties for survival after the Gingrich takeover.

He kept his head down and never got Trumpy.

We’re going to end up with Matt Stonehenge Head carpetbagging and winning that seat.

Godmotherfuckingshitdamn.

15 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Fuck - Shelby may be Republican but he was a Democrat for decades before he switched parties for survival after the Gingrich takeover.

He kept his head down and never got Trumpy.

We’re going to end up with Matt Stonehenge Head carpetbagging and winning that seat.

Godmotherfuckingshitdamn.

It will be a nasty primary. Betcha Brooks runs again. Someone is going to lose their district bc AL is losing a seat and they can’t gerrymander out Sewell, so it’ll be a Republican, who may just run for senate. 

• Like 1

It will be a nasty primary. Betcha Brooks runs again. Someone is going to lose their district bc AL is losing a seat and they can’t gerrymander out Sewell, so it’ll be a Republican, who may just run for senate. 

The thought of a Gaetz/Brooks primary makes me rage.

53 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Agreed. He’s the perfect avatar for the working class. And officially official:

This guy is 6’8” tall, the debate where he hovers over whatever midget he goes against will be great. He also gives 0 fucks and I hope he bitch slaps some folks 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Agreed. He’s the perfect avatar for the working class. And officially official:

Every County, Every Vote. - should be the motto of the 2022 Senate candidates

Jeff Jackson (NC) has already committed to visiting every NC county.  Beto actually did it in 2018.

Sometimes all it takes is showing up to win some votes - some of these counties may have not seen a Democratic candidate show up in decades, so they never listen to or even hear the message. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Holy shit, only weeks outta office and Trump managing to drag more of the party down with him.  

Seriously.  There really isn't much this guy can't fuck up.  The only GOP Congressional members in the news right now are recanting everything from the last 4 years (Cruz), discussing Jewish Space Lasers (Greene), Retiring (Shelby), pouting about masks (Paul), doing keybumps with Don, Jr. (Gaetz), dead (Wright), and claiming she drove 70,000 in a year to campaign for Congress, or some combination of the above.  And this is Trump's inner cohort of allies on the Hill.  Not really the A-Team there, Mr. President.  still, I think mcConnell has a long game here.  

On 1/8/2021 at 1:13 PM, Snake Diggity said:

A 58D-46R Senate from 2023-2024 would be interesting.  Universal healthcare, free college, free childcare, massive climate legislation, and dramatic increases in unemployment and social security benefits would all be likely, as would income tax increases for rich folks.  What's interesting to me is that even in that extreme outcome, I don't think we'd see the kinds of things Trumpkins fear.  There would be no mandatory gun buy-backs (would stop with assault weapon bans and more extensive background checks), there would be no massive tax increases on corporations or the middle class, nor would there be a wealth tax (spending would be deficit, tax increases would be largely limited to super wealthy individuals).  There probably wouldn't even be meaningful restrictions on free speech or the internet.  I don't even think they'd ban fracking.

I think the greater risk is losing the house in 2022. The Democrats well intended but foolish decision to suspend block walking due to covid cost statehouse seats, which in turn will make this year's gerrymander UGLY.  The only way that Democrats hold or expand control of the house is by breaking the gerrymander in lots of places, which means they have to do the give people stuff things, but  MUST NOT do take stuff away things, with the exception of rolling back the 2017 tax bill for incomes over $400k. An assault weapons ban would cost them both houses of congress and it wouldn't be worth it. 

On 1/25/2021 at 10:28 PM, berlinerbaer said:

Ron Johnson is not popular. I have to believe he's being advised to retire rather than put that seat at risk. You'd expect dipshit senators in red states like Missouri or Texas (wince), but not in a state that reelected Tammy Baldwin by double digits. And yet there he is, for now.

Ron Johnson wants to be president, so he has to run. 

On 1/26/2021 at 8:01 AM, Bateshorn said:

Honestly one of the coldest takes on this board.  The 110th Congress was historically on of the most productive since 89th Congress from 65-67 when LBJ went full Superman. 

The Democrats three missed opportunities were to do something on Climate Change, ban partisan redistricting, and bring DC into the Union to pad their Senate Majority.

That's because the worlds worst legislative strategist Rahm Emmanuel folded pocket aces on universal healthcare and decided to tackle cap and trade first.

• Rage+1 2

11 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

This guy is 6’8” tall, the debate where he hovers over whatever midget he goes against will be great. He also gives 0 fucks and I hope he bitch slaps some folks 

Im reading the story about how he chased down an unarmed black kid and held him at gunpoint. 

Not the time for that. But it’s also Pennsylvania, so....

4 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Y'ALL.

Crack open a cold one or pour yourself a fresh cup of coffee and feast your eyes on the best goddamn  campaign ad I've seen in I don't know how long.

NSIAP, mothefuckers.

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

that's pretty damn good 

Dems should take a lesson from him. Go on the offensive. Tell the lower income, white, gop voter that the gop has abandoned and lied to them. There is no future for them in the real gop dream. Those individuals will mostly fail with gop policies, and then they will be told they lost because of their own fault.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Y'ALL.

Crack open a cold one or pour yourself a fresh cup of coffee and feast your eyes on the best goddamn  campaign ad I've seen in I don't know how long.

NSIAP, mothefuckers.

That’s a fucking Ad, brilliantly done, talk about the left out communities and focus on them, everything else will take care of itself.

why can’t we find more Dems like this in the backwards states 

11 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

That’s a fucking Ad, brilliantly done, talk about the left out communities and focus on them, everything else will take care of itself.

why can’t we find more Dems like this in the backwards states 

I can’t believe how much of a bust Amy McGrath was. She really stunk at debating and going on to shows. You have to have a strong presence and she didn’t.

im hopeful for fetterman and really do think he will win there. The GOP doesn’t have much of a bench in Pennsylvania.

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Can we get Rand Paul out.  Guy is a complete shitstain.

No.  We cannot afford to blow another $100 million to oust someone we hate in a solid red state.  It would just be Amy McGrath 2.0 or Jaime Harrison 2.0 

Kentucky is a lost fucking cause.  You make him less powerful by winning NC, PA, WI so that neither Manchin nor Sinema is vote #50 to overturn the filibuster and then you make DC a state. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

No.  We cannot afford to blow another $100 million to oust someone we hate in a solid red state.  It would just be Amy McGrath 2.0 or Jaime Harrison 2.0 

Kentucky is a lost fucking cause.  You make him less powerful by winning NC, PA, WI so that neither Manchin nor Sinema is vote #50 to overturn the filibuster and then you make DC a state. 

Let me tap the brakes a bit and observe that the governor of Kentucky is a Democrat.  So it's less of a lost cause than Arizona was just five years ago.

12 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Let me tap the brakes a bit and observe that the governor of Kentucky is a Democrat.  So it's less of a lost cause than Arizona was just five years ago.

I just read up on the 2018 KY Governors race, because I remembered it being really close. Bevin was apparently very unpopular, even among republicans, and only lost by 5,000 votes(0.37%)...and there was a Libertarian candidate that pulled 2%. Also something I found interesting...No Republican Governor in KY has ever been elected to more than one term.  (Before 1992 you couldn't run serve consecutive terms as Gov in KY)

16 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I just read up on the 2018 KY Governors race, because I remembered it being really close. Bevin was apparently very unpopular, even among republicans, and only lost by 5,000 votes(0.37%)...and there was a Libertarian candidate that pulled 2%. Also something I found interesting...No Republican Governor in KY has ever been elected to more than one term.  (Before 1992 you couldn't run serve consecutive terms as Gov in KY)

Also state versus federal races are very different.  And Kentucky, like Louisiana and Kansas, have Dem governors because they ran against extremely unpopular Republicans.  

Beshear, like Laura Kelly and John Bel Edwards, won just a year or two before/after the Republican Senate candidate romped by double digits.

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also state versus federal races are very different.  And Kentucky, like Louisiana and Kansas, have Dem governors because they ran against extremely unpopular Republicans.  

Beshear, like Laura Kelly and John Bel Edwards, won just a year or two before/after the Republican Senate candidate romped by double digits.

And yet Danny Goeb is still our Lt Gov. 

On 2/8/2021 at 11:24 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Can his wife run for something too?

I have heard her speak once and it was after she was recounting being yelled at in a grocery store by a Death cult member who recognized her and knew who her husband was. It was ridiculous, but she handled it as well as could be imagined under the circumstances. She seems pretty intelligent from what little I know about her. If she ran for her husband’s spot I believe she’d win.