2022 Senate Elections

Ghost of LL

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

A couple of more serious points on this:

1. If Beto had Fetterman's social media team, I think he could meme the hell out of Abbott. Those guys have an easy mark, but they are rolling with it.

2. If Beto looked like Fetterman, I think he's be in the lead right now. Fetterman doesn't look like a "lib" -- he looks (and is) a big dude who looks like a badass. I think that goes a long way with some people, especially in the rural counties. 

Beto's looks aren't much of a liability. The thing about Texas is that it's so diverse there's basically no such thing as a Texan who looks like a Texan anymore. Anyone who tries would be rightly criticized as a cartoon.

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

FBI Director: White House Guided Probe into Brett Kavanaugh's Background

Every Republican for statewide office in Texas is a cosplay Texan. Ever since ‘clear my brush in Crawford’ W, the Republican Party had just been playing a part / caricature. Ann Richards was the last true Texan in office. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, Dnaguy said:

Every Republican for statewide office in Texas is a cosplay Texan. Ever since ‘clear my brush in Crawford’ W, the Republican Party had just been playing a part / caricature. Ann Richards was the last true Texan in office. 

Sid Miller might be the closest thing in Texas politics to not cosplaying, but again, he's a right winger

10 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Sid Miller might be the closest thing in Texas politics to not cosplaying, but again, he's a right winger

Sid Miller isn’t playing a part. This is true. He’s everyone’s uncle / grandad at Thanksgiving who says the racist shit out loud.

Edited by Dnaguy

3 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Beto's looks aren't much of a liability. The thing about Texas is that it's so diverse there's basically no such thing as a Texan who looks like a Texan anymore. Anyone who tries would be rightly criticized as a cartoon.

Yeah, I don’t think there’s an independent “jorts” voter in the Texas electorate that would vote for Beto except he won’t condescend to look the part.

Edited by LCHorn
Ugh, spelling.

15 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Nah, the guy that was born in Canada, graduated from high school in Houston, then onto Princeton and Harvard Law wears boots for real.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Don't be surprised if Oz goes full hardcore Trumpist soon. He's throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks. 

He already distanced himself from Trump, at least partially, which probably pissed Trump off to no end.  Trump values 100% loyalty over almost everything else.

Trump does need him to win that seat, but if Trump hears about his polling, he might pretend like Oz doesn’t exist, since Trump doesn’t like the stench of losers on him.

I think Fetterman would be crushing it no matter who his opponent is, but it’s fun to see him constantly dunking on Oz. He’s a 5 star senate recruit like Kelly in Arizona or Warnock in Georgia. One thing democrats are way better at than republicans seems to be candidate quality.

1 minute ago, Voldemort86 said:

I think Fetterman would be crushing it no matter who his opponent is, but it’s fun to see him constantly dunking on Oz. He’s a 5 star senate recruit like Kelly in Arizona or Warnock in Georgia. One thing democrats are way better at than republicans seems to be candidate quality.

All gas no brakes

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

👀

Yes, I told y'all Trump is redirecting typical midterm donations to himself and now look what happens.

The GOP may just write off the Senate and focus on the House.  Like an inverse 2018. 

Feeling the loss of Sheldon Adelson now spinning around on his worm farm instead of being able to write $100 million checks for the GOP to try to win seats in congress.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

👀

Yes, I told y'all Trump is redirecting typical midterm donations to himself and now look what happens.

The GOP may just write off the Senate and focus on the House.  Like an inverse 2018. 

Trump is willing to give $1m of his campaign funds to any senate campaign that wants it. They just have to rent out one of his clubs for $1.5m. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

At this point 52 Democrat senators is more likely than 49, imho.

It’s telling how pissed they were at Chris sununu for not running for the NH senate seat. Sununu would’ve taken Hassan to the cleaners and won by 5-10 points. So glad he decided not to run.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Feeling the loss of Sheldon Adelson now spinning around on his worm farm instead of being able to write $100 million checks for the GOP to try to win seats in congress.

Like there aren't any other asshole GQP donors that will throw money around like crazy.

After seeing a recent fetterman rally/presser (he’s still a loooong way from normal, if that’s even on the table), it’s astounding how poor Oz is performing and how silly they were to hitch their wagon to him. 

32 minutes ago, Js1 said:

👀

Russia about to drop 500 mil to support them to lessen the USA support for Ukraine 

39 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

It’s telling how pissed they were at Chris sununu for not running for the NH senate seat. Sununu would’ve taken Hassan to the cleaners and won by 5-10 points. So glad he decided not to run.

Death by Sununu

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Doug Ducey also declined in AZ
Larry Hogan said nah in MD
Phil Scott said no to run for Leahy's seat

NRSC didn't even approach Brian Sandoval in NV, considering he's the last GOP to win Clark County.  But he's not Trumpy enough, despite being a popular former governor and the last statewide GOP winner. 

Edited by Js1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Doug Ducey also declined in AZ
Larry Hogan said nah in MD
Phil Scott said no to run for Leahy's seat

NRSC didn't even approach Brian Sandoval in NV, considering he's the last GOP to win Clark County.  But he's not Trumpy enough, despite being a popular former governor and the last statewide GOP winner. 

Isn't Phil Scott pretty popular? I could see him flipping that seat. What are the polls saying?

Just now, chainsaw said:

Isn't Phil Scott pretty popular? I could see him flipping that seat. What are the polls saying?

Phil Scott isn't running for the seat, he's running for governor again (and it is considered safe R). They got some guy named Gerald Malloy who is a Trump-aligned right winger.  They had Christina Nolan, a moderate who probably could have made the seat kinda competitive in a Collins-type of way.  She was endorsed by McConnell and Collins.  However, she is a lesbian apparently and not opposed to Roe v. Wade, so she lost. 

Vermont is fucking WEIRD - they picked Malloy, who is super pro-Trump, for Senate, and Joe Benning, an anti-Trump centrist, for LG, over a Jan 6 participant. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Phil Scott isn't running for the seat, he's running for governor again (and it is considered safe R). They got some guy named Gerald Malloy who is a Trump-aligned right winger.  They had Christina Nolan, a moderate who probably could have made the seat kinda competitive in a Collins-type of way.  She was endorsed by McConnell and Collins.  However, she is a lesbian apparently and not opposed to Roe v. Wade, so she lost. 

Vermont is fucking WEIRD - they picked Malloy, who is super pro-Trump, for Senate, and Joe Benning, an anti-Trump centrist, for LG, over a Jan 6 participant. 

It's such a tiny population I think it can be easily carpetbagged. Same goes for Wyoming and the Dakotas.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

52 won’t mean much if they lose the house.

Yes, without the House, we will see close to 0 legislation from '23-25. But a 52 seat majority could mean everything in terms of judges and other appointees for Biden.  You also have 2 justices (Alito and Thomas) who are 72+.  It's a pipe dream but Roberts might say Peace Out and give the seat to Biden and the Dems in some level of restoring balance. (I know it won't happen but one can dream.)

Also the Dem party has 4 at-risk senate seats (WV, AZ, MI, MT) in 2024. Walking into the '24 election with a 2-seat majority could be critical regardless who wins the presidency. Losing a winnable senate seat in '22 could have far reaching impact for the Dems.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

👀

This has been expanded - $13.5m in cancellations since August 1, including $7.5m in PA and $1.5m in NV

ReD wAvE

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes, without the House, we will see close to 0 legislation from '23-25. But a 52 seat majority could mean everything in terms of judges and other appointees for Biden.  You also have 2 justices (Alito and Thomas) who are 72+.  It's a pipe dream but Roberts might say Peace Out and give the seat to Biden and the Dems in some level of restoring balance. (I know it won't happen but one can dream.)

Also the Dem party has 4 at-risk senate seats (WV, AZ, MI, MT) in 2024. Walking into the '24 election with a 2-seat majority could be critical regardless who wins the presidency. Losing a winnable senate seat in '22 could have far reaching impact for the Dems.

From your mouth to God's ears. 52 seats or better means that A) Fetterman and Barnes have won, and B) Manchin and Sinema don't matter. That's worth it on it's own. 

The only offense the Democrats will be running in 2024 will be replacing Sienema with Ruben Gallego. 

7 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

From your mouth to God's ears. 52 seats or better means that A) Fetterman and Barnes have won, and B) Manchin and Sinema don't matter. That's worth it on it's own. 

The only offense the Democrats will be running in 2024 will be replacing Sienema with Ruben Gallego. 

Ted is up in ‘24. He’ll be a target 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

So Trump is vacuuming up a lot of their money and not sending it their way.

But it could be they’ve completely written those races off.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So Trump is vacuuming up a lot of their money and not sending it their way.

But it could be they’ve completely written those races off.

the first one is why they are doing the second.

Trump holds these rallies and fund raises then doesn't give a dime to the GOP candidates. Oz can only do anything because he's got his own money. Vance is broke. 

There are others like the nominee for governor in Michigan who isn't running any ads because he's also broke. 

Edited by The Dog

Yep. They cancel ads bc Trump hordes the cash.  I could see them writing off PA and AZ. But that’s a big investment they cancelled in NV. They seem to expect Johnson to handle things himself financially in WI in his hardest race. 

They’re not playing offense anymore or defense. They’re just trying not to appear like they’ve forfeited the game.

Edited by Js1