Share Your Music (it probably sucks but that’s not why we do it)

NoRagrets

1 hour ago, NoRagrets said:

I’m hoping this forum can sort of serve as a support group for all of us that play a little, a lot, or as a primary source of income. I’ll go first.

Literally got the band back together for a high school reunion show. Since then we have been traveling around to meet up, drink fancy craft beer, and record (and in that order).

When COVID started, we made it our goal to release a song per week until the end of the year. It’s really made the pandemic manageable by giving me some purpose (for myself, not work or family), a form of expression, and a sense of accomplishment. I’ve also been striving to get better at playing and recording, trying to take online lessons and learning new riffs.

The song I posted “For the Moment” is our latest and my personal favorite.

It's... actually got something going there. I wish need a good drug rec to truly appreciate it. Get the feeling it's better when not sober.

31 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Heh, I've been working on this one for awhile and just finished it up tonight.  Very much a prog-rock song.

Ohhhhhhhh, now THIS I did. Less prog, more like "if you like Eric Johnson/Joe Satriani, you'll like this." The overall groove through the first half kinda sounds like EJ doing something that Satriani wrote.

Edit: Oooh, and then that filthy sounding guitar. NICE!

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Ohhhhhhhh, now THIS I did. Less prog, more like "if you like Eric Johnson/Joe Satriani, you'll like this." The overall groove through the first half kinda sounds like EJ doing something that Satriani wrote.

Edit: Oooh, and then that filthy sounding guitar. NICE!

Thanks glad you like.

11 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

I’m hoping this forum can sort of serve as a support group for all of us that play a little, a lot, or as a primary source of income. I’ll go first.

Literally got the band back together for a high school reunion show. Since then we have been traveling around to meet up, drink fancy craft beer, and record (and in that order).

When COVID started, we made it our goal to release a song per week until the end of the year. It’s really made the pandemic manageable by giving me some purpose (for myself, not work or family), a form of expression, and a sense of accomplishment. I’ve also been striving to get better at playing and recording, trying to take online lessons and learning new riffs.

nice, NoRagrets.  it is what i imagine it sounding like if david bowie, the orb, and serge gainsbourg got together so props for something truly original.  keep posting stuff.

On 10/28/2020 at 10:02 PM, NoRagrets said:

Great song.  Agree with @sidis, post more.

13 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

I'll throw my shit out here (gulp), this is from about 5 years ago, not super happy with the way the sound turned out, but hadn't been in the studio in forever, should have mixed it with headphones on, but it's still aight..

and here's a rehearsal we did a couple of months ago, down at Space on Manchaca, enjoy my fat ass in all its glory...

Very impressive. How did you get into this genre?

3 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Very impressive. How did you get into this genre?

Thank you.  My username checks out...  Actually totally by accident.  A polka band was playing at my grandpa's 80th birthday and my dad dragged me up to the stage because i was a hot shot trumpet player (this was 1983).  Sat in on a few numbers, got asked to join the band the next week.  Been playing off and on ever since.  Plus it's music I grew up listening to, so I've learned to appreciate it more.  It's my heritage, doing my best to keep it alive.

Edited by UTCzech III
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Isn't that kinda what happened on Satriani's Engines of Creation?

I dig it. Lemme know when it's on Spotify. Or where.

We are on Spotify, Apple, and YouTube. I think we get 1 cent per, so feel free to put on repeat!

I am terrible at Spotify but here’s a link to one of our songs.

https://open.spotify.com/track/1FWPgRj2Riu1a2h9MNGNkO?si=VEwitFzfSMato2P0PcKZ2w&context=spotify%3Aartist%3A5XB4bo2fahDmsy715F3NBB

YouTube 

• Hook 'Em 1

I just discovered this thread. Always impressed with the level of talent around here.

I had a band recording an album when all this hit, and so far all my attempts to revive and get it done have fizzled out. I have hopes to get it done at the beginning of 2021.

I've been reluctant to share, but what the hell. Im guitar and principle song writer. Here are 3 out of the 9 we have.

This one is the most complete of what we've done; and likely the only one that won't have the vocals re-recorded.

By Myself

This one is still rough. I picked up a guitar to overdub the solo around 1:30 and just jammed along through the end. Not sure if we'll keep all the noodling of the 2nd guitar or just trip it back to the solo only ultimately. I still like the riff, even though its largely a Malcolm Young rip off.

You Gotta Choose

I'm proud of this last one. I wrote about my divocre about a month after moving out. Same 3 chords the whole song. I told my band mates I needed them to define the verse / chorus cause the guitar wasn't changing, and I'm proud of what they came up with.

GoodBye

• Hook 'Em 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 2:34 PM, AnotherUTFan said:

I just discovered this thread. Always impressed with the level of talent around here.

I had a band recording an album when all this hit, and so far all my attempts to revive and get it done have fizzled out. I have hopes to get it done at the beginning of 2021.

I've been reluctant to share, but what the hell. Im guitar and principle song writer. Here are 3 out of the 9 we have.

This one is the most complete of what we've done; and likely the only one that won't have the vocals re-recorded.

By Myself

This one is still rough. I picked up a guitar to overdub the solo around 1:30 and just jammed along through the end. Not sure if we'll keep all the noodling of the 2nd guitar or just trip it back to the solo only ultimately. I still like the riff, even though its largely a Malcolm Young rip off.

You Gotta Choose

I'm proud of this last one. I wrote about my divocre about a month after moving out. Same 3 chords the whole song. I told my band mates I needed them to define the verse / chorus cause the guitar wasn't changing, and I'm proud of what they came up with.

GoodBye

Bad ass!

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

It’s about a con artist / schemer.

nailed it with the feel, I felt like I could smell my clothes the morning after being in a smoky bar all night circa 2000 (which for some reason is how I imagine con artists/schemers smelling? I guess)

loved your solo

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
I dig that.  Has a little bit of a Pink Floyd feel to it.  Janglier, though.  Cool, thanks!
Yes very nice.

Somewhere between Pink Floyd's "Empty Spaces" and Rush's "2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx". I think its the decending bass line. Very cool.

Never thought I'd put those 2 together.
  • Hook 'Em 1

In case you ever wanted to know what an Irish bagpipes dirge sounds like on the guitar.  This is me playing around and improvising with the melody from Sgt Mackenzie with a sustain pedal to create a bagpipe-like droning effect.  I'm really liking these Fralin vintage hot pickups.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 10:45 AM, Goredho said:

This is the "climax" of a work in progress.  Thoughts/feedback welcomed.

No feedback beyond it kicks ass. Nice!

If it was me, I might tinker with the mex a little and bring the prominence of the drums forward just a bit...particularly the low end. I would raise the 1 and 2 band on the EQ ever so slightly across the board as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1