Share Your Music (it probably sucks but that’s not why we do it)

NoRagrets

37 minutes ago, G650 said:

So you guys might get a kick out of this. It's a  song I wrote as a paean to an outboard. 

I think I may have related last year how I was scavenging some old ADAT tapes to get the material on a hard drive before they disintegrated. This was one of the songs that was on the tapes, though I had a mixed version on an old computer. I posted a clip of that original mix when we were talking Big Muffs in the guitar thread.

I'm not going to lie, I may be prouder of this than any of the professional work I've done recording anyone. It was such a different world back then, none of the off the shelf stuff you can use at home we take for granted now existed. We did this with an ADAT plugged into a half functioning Mackie 1604 VLZ I wheeled into my drummers living room with some 57s, some stupid cheap Samson mics, and *gasp* AKG C1000s. Then I overdubbed a clean guitar, the solo, and the vocalist in this horrid untreated room in my house. I imported it to an old PC of some sort with a Lexicon Core 2 PCI interface, and mixed it on legit regular old computer speakers lol.

The only thing I wish I could change is the vocals. I sort of purposely smeared them here because well. Probably a pro mixer, because that definitely ain't me as you can tell, and a Melodyne pro could make the vocals sound worth a shit, but que Sera and shit. Or a better singer but I don't want to get carried away.

I dig it.  I remember putting some serious mileage on an old Tascam 4 track back in the day and bouncing, bouncing, bouncing.  I kind of miss technical limitations forcing some discipline.

I’ve never had an outboard motor serve as my muse before, though.  That’s pretty awesome.

25 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I’ve never had an outboard motor serve as my muse before, though.  That’s pretty awesome.

Yeah thats actually the part I thought would amuse everyone, then somehow I segued in a long winded diatribe about how it was facilitated.

I almost threw in a " kids these days don't know what Tascam 4 track cassette life was like" but I thought better of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/9/2022 at 2:11 PM, freyguy said:

My son's band just dropped their very first single on Spotify today.  All 4 of them are seniors at Bowie who all met randomly & formed last April.  My boy plays the guitar on this one (both parts).  He wrote & composed it with the singer/bass guitarist.

These kids are simply having so much fun right now.  But they're also learning alot about studio work, hiring a producer, etc.

https://open.spotify.com/track/7BrpjgOWnxPd7fXAau58w9?si=DuLZRv_BRFis2M3iBhmv0Q&utm_source=copy-link

They have about 7 or 8 additional songs they're working on, and plan to eventually release a full album.  I'll come back and post when it comes to fruition.

Well, they up and created their own music video for their first song.  It's funny & cute.

and here's their 2nd release that just dropped last Friday. 

They also played a gig at Boomerz last weekend and had a blast.  My boy sorta blew his guitar amp in the process, now I get to learn how to replace pots.  

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...

i posted the version of my track golden crashes in the last page.  since then, because my talent for soloing guitars is lacking, i asked goredho to compose and perform some solos to enhance the track which he generously did.  so here is the track with goredho's solos.  the rhythm guitars and bass are composed/performed by me, the drums and pads are programmed by me, and the intro solo and the dueling guitar solos in the second half of the chorus were written and performed by goredho.  dude can play...

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, sidis said:

i posted the version of my track golden crashes in the last page.  since then, because my talent for soloing guitars is lacking, i asked goredho to compose and perform some solos to enhance the track which he generously did.  so here is the track with goredho's solos.  the rhythm guitars and bass are composed/performed by me, the drums and pads are programmed by me, and the intro solo and the dueling guitar solos in the second half of the chorus were written and performed by goredho.  dude can play...

Was a real cool track to solo over, thanks for letting me do it!

• Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, sidis said:

One thing I love about this track are your drums you programmed, especially at the end.  Next time I am in Austin, I want a Sidis master class in drum programming.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/29/2023 at 11:56 AM, freyguy said:

Well, they up and created their own music video for their first song.  It's funny & cute.

Man, that is AWESOME.  I love it.  I love watching kids create new stuff.  I feel a little Vampire Weekend vibe there, not exact, but they wouldn't be out of place on the same bill.

They also played a gig at Boomerz last weekend and had a blast.  My boy sorta blew his guitar amp in the process, now I get to learn how to replace pots.  

I've been to Boomerz exactly once in my life, to see Jim Eno's (Spoon) first gig ever, with some cover band.  That place is hilarious.  What a classic get yer drink on bar.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Goredho, not new music but since this thread semi serves as the recording techniques thread as well, just thought i would share daniel lanois' interview on gearspace and someone asked him about mic'ing acoustics and it made me think of you.

https://gearspace.com/board/interviews/1363141-interview-daniel-lanois.html

I was wondering what mics and preamps you use to record Acoustic Guitars and Electric Guitar Amps? - Anguswoodhead

I like the Sennheiser 409 on amps. For a different sound I like a ribbon mic. Acoustic guitar recordings are tough. If you can have a nice big mic further back from the instrument that's usually the best. Further back means no booming. Lately I've enjoyed a U47 or C37a with a 1066 preamp.

also, since you are also a great lover of the greatest ambient song ever made in eno's "an ending (ascent)," i had no idea that the whole damned thing resulted from a reversal.

3. I read in an interview that you may from time to time run one track through another track's mix for inspiration, serendipity, or whatnot. 

1. The twin drum kit idea came about because I had an already existing drum part that was magical, and as usual, I always built on top of something that has magic in it. If I had not had the existing drum part I would not have gone after the twin drum kit idea. Try listening to Bob Dylan's Time Out Of Mind where we actually had two drummers live in the room. The song "Can't Wait" is a nice success. My current policy: I don't tell drummers what to play.

2. Very much true. In fact at that time, cutting from one mix to another, even to a 3rd or 4th mix was standard practice. In my experience with my own renegade manual mixing a certain mix may have a stand-out section but the rest might not be great. I make a note of the great section with the view of chopping it into the final mix. There have been extremes of this technique, mixes done in different studios on different consoles.

3. I still use this technique today. You can also try running your multi track backwards for surprising new melodies. Check out an Eno record called Apollo. The track by the name of An Ending (Ascent) is an example of a great backwards result.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, sidis said:

@Goredho, not new music but since this thread semi serves as the recording techniques thread as well, just thought i would share daniel lanois' interview on gearspace and someone asked him about mic'ing acoustics and it made me think of you.

https://gearspace.com/board/interviews/1363141-interview-daniel-lanois.html

also, since you are also a great lover of the greatest ambient song ever made in eno's "an ending (ascent)," i had no idea that the whole damned thing resulted from a reversal.

Thanks, will check it out.  I had read something about An Ending (Ascent) using multiple reverse tracks on it.

So I got the Guild D-30 back yesterday with the LR Baggs Anthem installed.  Started playing with it at the DAW this morning and I kind of like it for recording.  Am sure its not as good as a recording captured with a large condenser mic as has been suggested, but I think when I get it fully dialed in, its gonna be good enough for my needs, and I can use it live.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just saw the word consequences in the title and thought the track would be some terrible thrash metal song called “The Dildo of Consequences is Rarely Lubed.”

recording sounds fine but feels like the 1-3kHz range here is dominating a lot. Feel like it needs a good bit of 250 and 500 boost. From what I understand, the area between those for acoustic doesn’t present the same level of muddiness as electric so maybe even Q’d across the whole range?

playing sounds wonderful. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

I just saw the word consequences in the title and thought the track would be some terrible thrash metal song called “The Dildo of Consequences is Rarely Lubed.”

recording sounds fine but feels like the 1-3kHz range here is dominating a lot. Feel like it needs a good bit of 250 and 500 boost. From what I understand, the area between those for acoustic doesn’t present the same level of muddiness as electric so maybe even Q’d across the whole range?

playing sounds wonderful. 

Thanks!  Agree with you about those frequencies and it sounding a bit harsh.  I’ll be experimenting with it a bit, both on the EQ and pickup side.  The anthem has an in body mic and a piezo in the bridge with controls to mix the two, so I’m not sure I have everything set up optimally there.

Here's one by my dad band Stellasonic.  We had a guest drummer (Brian Dunne of Hall & Oates) and a guest singer (Chloe Andrews of Die Spitz), so it's not exactly our normal dad band.  Whatever.  I kinda like it.  Recorded and mixed in living rooms and bedrooms all over Austin.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Here's one by my dad band Stellasonic.  We had a guest drummer (Brian Dunne of Hall & Oates) and a guest singer (Chloe Andrews of Die Spitz), so it's not exactly our normal dad band.  Whatever.  I kinda like it.  Recorded and mixed in living rooms and bedrooms all over Austin.

I dig that a lot!

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

cool man, what are you playing in this track?  guitar?

5 minutes ago, sidis said:

cool man, what are you playing in this track?  guitar?

I'm not sure if I'm on it.  We fussed around with that mix for quite a while, and I had an acoustic guitar part and some attempted keys that we killed, because we really wanted the drums and bass to dominate.  I might be one of the rhythm electric guitars.  At this point, everyone in this band is pretty egalitarian, and we no longer get possessive about parts.  

back to an orchestral and piano mockup.  this is another one that was somewhat commissioned.  friend is doing a film project based on monarch butterflies that i won't bore you with.  anyway, he needed a score to a 6 minute longshot in which there is first flight and a bunch of sappy dramatic stuff that happens.  so here is that mockup.  not terribly pleased with how the cello is sitting in the mix in the second half and getting its vibrato knocked out by something clashing but i was sick of messing with the mockup and will worry about it in recording and mixing the recorded strings.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, we peaked in 1993, so that's about right.

Checks out. Probably why all my shit sounds like 1990 as well.

One of the weirdest thongs that happened about 20 years ago is that somewhere along the way I became a fan of production style in and of itself. I was talking Stuart Hallerman a couple months ago and we got on that subject, I was talking about Chipping Norton and the stuff Gerry Rafferty did there, and started laughing at myself, because it sounds ridiculous to say. 

The two aesthetics I like most,mid 70s and early 90s, seem barely related, which I don't have a good explanation for

• Hook 'Em 1

Man, I am a huge Gerry Rafferty fan.  It's interesting, your post made me go look up Chipping Norton, and I'll be damned, there is a clear sonic & aesthetic vibe to the records out of the place, and they're not exactly all similar artists.  Kajagoogoo, Proclaimers, Cutting Crew.  Thanks for the deep dive.

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, I am a huge Gerry Rafferty fan. 

I knew we would find something we strongly agreed upon.

Yeah, Rafferty sent me down a worm hole decades ago on Chipping Norton. I ascribe their sound to their unique tracking room and the Trident desk. It was also an era where you could readily recognize a lot of studios signature sound unlike today.

London Bridge is another studio that has a gorgeous unique sound. You can really hear it on Jar of Flies and the first Blind Melon album.

There's probably not enough traffic for a thread totally about music production so I guess this becomes the catchall.

Probably the third sound I really, really like is the indie/ garage hard rock/punk sound. The Hellacopters are a big one off the top of my head. And I'm listening to Demolition 23 right now which reminded me of this.

Edited by G650

It's probably related to when I started voraciously consuming music as a young boy, but I really really like the 70s hifi yet analog sound.  We already mentioned Gerry Rafferty.  I'd add Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Heart, Supertramp, the list goes on.  

I'm not anti-digital, not by a long shot, but there is definitely something to those records using great mics through Neve boards onto 2-inch tape, depending of course on the talent of the engineer/producer capturing those sounds.

i recommended podcast this to paul wesley last night while we were doing a "what does terrible guitar playing from sidis sound like" mic showdown at his studio.  (royer r-121 beat out u87, km84, km184, sm57, and sm7b for guitar, u87 won for bass...barely)

it is a podcast that two amusing guys from musictech mag do where they make guests pick, on top of a computer, daw, and audio interface...six pieces of hardware or software gear that they could have (and be limited to) in their "forever" studio.  some of you fellow dorks might enjoy it.  it has a heavy edm vibe amongst the guests but some of them are really good and it is interesting hearing the gear picked reflect the role of the guest.

https://musictech.com/shows/podcasts/my-forever-studio/

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's probably related to when I started voraciously consuming music as a young boy, but I really really like the 70s hifi yet analog sound.  We already mentioned Gerry Rafferty.  I'd add Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Heart, Supertramp, the list goes on.  

I'm not anti-digital, not by a long shot, but there is definitely something to those records using great mics through Neve boards onto 2-inch tape, depending of course on the talent of the engineer/producer capturing those sounds.

Man, now I feel like we are long lost brothers. Boston notwithstanding.

I will say,I wouldn't kick a Neve out of bed for eating crackers by any stretch, but I'm more of a Trident guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, sidis said:

i recommended podcast this to paul wesley last night while we were doing a "what does terrible guitar playing from sidis sound like" mic showdown at his studio.  (royer r-121 beat out u87, km84, km184, sm57, and sm7b for guitar, u87 won for bass...barely)

it is a podcast that two amusing guys from musictech mag do where they make guests pick, on top of a computer, daw, and audio interface...six pieces of hardware or software gear that they could have (and be limited to) in their "forever" studio.  some of you fellow dorks might enjoy it.  it has a heavy edm vibe amongst the guests but some of them are really good and it is interesting hearing the gear picked reflect the role of the guest.

https://musictech.com/shows/podcasts/my-forever-studio/

It's funny, a lot of people really like the 121, but I have never gotten along with it.

34 minutes ago, G650 said:

It's funny, a lot of people really like the 121, but I have never gotten along with it.

I had one for a while.  I mostly used it as the "side" mic in a mid/side stereo setup.  It worked really well in that context; for instance, as the main "overheads" out front of a drum kit.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I had one for a while.  I mostly used it as the "side" mic in a mid/side stereo setup.  It worked really well in that context; for instance, as the main "overheads" out front of a drum kit.

The one reason I keep it around is actually for the snare shell if I do that. Not something that i regularly do by any stretch, but sometimes it's nice. The darker 121 seems to fit well there.

It's right out on guitars for me though.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, G650 said:

The one reason I keep it around is actually for the snare shell if I do that. Not something that i regularly do by any stretch, but sometimes it's nice. 

Figure 8 null pointing up, suppressing hi hat bleed?  I've never mic'ed the shell.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I will say,I wouldn't kick a Neve out of bed for eating crackers by any stretch, but I'm more of a Trident guy.

I recorded an EP at the old Ben Blank Audio on Guadalupe, I'm pretty sure it was thru a Trident 80b.

40 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Figure 8 null pointing up, suppressing hi hat bleed?  I've never mic'ed the shell.

I usually set it vertical with hat 90 off axis, so kind of front outside quadrant of snare.

Something I was suggested along the way to put a little body in if needed. Definitely not something I do often.

33 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I recorded an EP at the old Ben Blank Audio on Guadalupe, I'm pretty sure it was thru a Trident 80b.

Those were very solid boards. They mixed an assload of hits in the 80s. A great value too compared to an A Range, I think Vintage King has one for like 25k, or at least they did recently.

• Hook 'Em 1

To be clear, I’m not saying that’s the ultimate mic choice for guitar, it was just the Paul very generously let me come shoot the mics I actually own with various instruments in a proper studio setting with proper room tuning and monitoring and minimal intervention beyond a little preamp normalization for the ribbon relative to the others so that I could leverage that knowledge for myself going forward based on the sound. 

though a combination mic job of the 121 and an sm57 is so commonplace on guitar, they actually sell a specific clip for that combo. And…not gonna lie, even through my shitty chord strumming last night, I liked how complete a sound that combo was  

reading the last few comments, both of you need to listen to that podcast I linked above. It is basically a never ending rotation of people giving their subjective hot takes on why an API and Neve board were better for tracking and SSL is better for mixing. Or why a bricasti m7 is so much better or worse than Valhalla and other modeled verbs and if you aren’t monitoring on two ton atc’s you’re wasting your time. It’s gearspace with humor and without the endless supply of utterly shitty people with their constant hostility. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You guys are making me sad. I almost inherited a Trident board a few years back when my producer left the game completely and moved out of state. He left the board with a friend because he was such a packrat that he figured he could come back and claim it at some point. 

Well, said friend moved and didn't have space for it, so I was next in line to keep it in the family, so to speak. I just had to arrange pick up because we were busy and he was an hour away. I waited a bit too long, I guess because he stopped responding and I never heard back from him. So he must have found a spot for it or sold it or died.  He was the type who could have probably done any or all three without giving it much thought.

I picked up a Daking mic pre ii after doing a bunch of research and finding out they were basically doing an updated version of the old trident desk pres. It's pretty nice, I haven't thrown too many mic's at it yet. I am planning on doing a shootout soon and getting as many mic's as I can to see what works best on voice, guitar and piano. I really need a 47 style with and m7 capsule, and I am debating going with a FET model or moving up to a tube version.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

You guys are making me sad. I almost inherited a Trident board a few years back when my producer left the game completely and moved out of state. He left the board with a friend because he was such a packrat that he figured he could come back and claim it at some point. 

Well, said friend moved and didn't have space for it, so I was next in line to keep it in the family, so to speak. I just had to arrange pick up because we were busy and he was an hour away. I waited a bit too long, I guess because he stopped responding and I never heard back from him. So he must have found a spot for it or sold it or died.  He was the type who could have probably done any or all three without giving it much thought.

I picked up a Daking mic pre ii after doing a bunch of research and finding out they were basically doing an updated version of the old trident desk pres. It's pretty nice, I haven't thrown too many mic's at it yet. I am planning on doing a shootout soon and getting as many mic's as I can to see what works best on voice, guitar and piano. I really need a 47 style with and m7 capsule, and I am debating going with a FET model or moving up to a tube version.

I never posted this because I was too embarrassed by my g.a.s. and after my bold proclamation earlier in this thread that I wasn’t stupid enough to spend the money on real pre’s and compressors for a stupid home studio…but I’m stupid and did it anyway. Went with the FET after playing with both (it and LA2A) emulators for a long time and don’t regret it. Grabbed a neve 1073 as well which I not only don’t regret, but fully embrace it because it’s awesome. 

IMG_3995.thumb.jpeg.ece72a8452c261ab1c7e3a7061e65d4c.jpeg

and then after listening to mixes in a proper setting last night, I’m back to furious with myself because I have no idea what I’m doing apparently. 

12 minutes ago, sidis said:

To be clear, I’m not saying that’s the ultimate mic choice for guitar, it was just the Paul very generously let me come shoot the mics I actually own with various instruments in a proper studio setting with proper room tuning and monitoring and minimal intervention beyond a little preamp normalization for the ribbon relative to the others so that I could leverage that knowledge for myself going forward based on the sound. 

though a combination mic job of the 121 and an sm57 is so commonplace on guitar, they actually sell a specific clip for that combo. And…not gonna lie, even through my shitty chord strumming last night, I liked how complete a sound that combo was  

reading the last few comments, both of you need to listen to that podcast I linked above. It is basically a never ending rotation of people giving their subjective hot takes on why an API and Neve board were better for tracking and SSL is better for mixing. Or why a bricasti m7 is so much better or worse than Valhalla and other modeled verbs and if you aren’t monitoring on two ton atc’s you’re wasting your time. It’s gearspace with humor and without the endless supply of utterly shitty people with their constant hostility. 

Oh, I didn't take it like that at all. To be sure, most people like the 121. I was more saying I'm the outlier.

Podcast sounds pretty entertaining, I will give it a listen for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hell yeah you did. I just got the Audioscape version of the LA2A, it sounds really great. Their FET comps are extremely popular too.  I like the opto because I am by myself a lot and dialing in the FET comp for myself in the next room is an exercise in futility.

I looked up that podcast, and I think I recognize least than 10 of the guests they had on out of 55.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Ah damn, what board was it? An 80?

The Daking is a pretty close approximation of an A Range module. Geoff knows his stuff. The biggest difference will be the transformers IIRC.

12 minutes ago, G650 said:

Ah damn, what board was it? An 80?

The Daking is a pretty close approximation of an A Range module. Geoff knows his stuff. The biggest difference will be the transformers IIRC.

I'm not positive what it was, I never gave a shit when I recorded with him. Now that I'm trying to do it myself years later, I am always pissed at my younger self for being so uninterested in the engineering side of things.

I think it was a VFM model but I remember it being bigger than what I see when I look it up. It wasn't an 80, I think it cost him less than 20k. I was usually drunk or on shrooms when I was out there though, so who fucking knows.

1 minute ago, Chips O'Toole said:

I'm not positive what it was, I never gave a shit when I recorded with him. Now that I'm trying to do it myself years later, I am always pissed at my younger self for being so uninterested in the engineering side of things.

I think it was a VFM model but I remember it being bigger than what I see when I look it up. It wasn't an 80, I think it cost him less than 20k. I was usually drunk or on shrooms when I was out there though, so who fucking knows.

Yep, story of life eh

Was it a TSM maybe?

57 minutes ago, sidis said:

Or why a bricasti m7 is so much better or worse than Valhalla and other modeled verbs 

Heh . . . somehow, I came upon a full set of convolutions of the Bricasti M7.  It's way better and far more vast than I need.  I never reach outside those 'verbs.  If I can't find it there, I'm doing something wrong.

5 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

The model, according to a list I found in an old email, was a VFM071. Can't find much info about it except it is from the 80s.

Gotcha. I am not familiar with those at all. Google shows pictures of them, reminds me a bit of a Soundcraft.

I've actually got Norman Sheffields biography sitting over on my counter, I probably should go pop it open, i think by the 80s he was selling Apple computers lol. Out of the console business at that point. Good read btw

22 hours ago, Chips O'Toole said:

I picked up a Daking mic pre ii after doing a bunch of research and finding out they were basically doing an updated version of the old trident desk pres.

I was trying to remember where I saw it, and it was the gearspace A Range thread, where Geoff breaks down the difference in his pre vs the original A Range module's. They seem very damn close. Transformers are different than the original As which had Zutts, but later As had Jensens like Daking. Maybe a little difference in inductors, knobs instead of slides for EQ.

Alan Hyatt kind poo poos Geoffs stuff but even if the new branded Trident A Range pre is imperceptibly closer to the original I'm not sure I'd buy from him just because he is kind of a jerk.

Stuart at Avast has 4 Cherokee made A Range module's too, and his take is they are very close to the actual A Range desk.

On 5/3/2023 at 2:39 PM, sidis said:

back to an orchestral and piano mockup.  this is another one that was somewhat commissioned.  friend is doing a film project based on monarch butterflies that i won't bore you with.  anyway, he needed a score to a 6 minute longshot in which there is first flight and a bunch of sappy dramatic stuff that happens.  so here is that mockup.  not terribly pleased with how the cello is sitting in the mix in the second half and getting its vibrato knocked out by something clashing but i was sick of messing with the mockup and will worry about it in recording and mixing the recorded strings.

....so good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

New track, and going to be first song of an album I'm putting together.  I'm pretty stoked about this one from pretty much all angles -- composition, arrangement, guitar performance, production, and mastering.

Shoutout to @sidis for his feedback, production tips and for rendering the strings from my midi files that you ultimately hear in the track.

• Hook 'Em 1