The Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Other Grappling Arts Thread

Patricio Swayze

We’ve had a rough year and I’m only making it in a few times a month. I’m hoping to step up to 2-3 a week after summer. 

My ears were sore after my last class but luckily didn’t puff up. Triceps were all bruised because my partner kept grabbing skin instead of gi for arm drags. 

Edited by Archer

We’ve had a rough year and I’m only making it in a few times a month. I’m hoping to step up to 2-3 a week after summer. 
My ears were sore after my last class but luckily didn’t puff up. Triceps were all bruised because my partner kept grabbing skin instead of gi for arm drags. 

That sucks. But I understand. Right now I am training 2-3 times a week. My shoulder is really bothering me and so is my left hip. Not sure what the latter is about. Co-owner of the school tried some voodoo in my shoulder but didn’t do much. Considering trying airrosti.

18 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

That sucks. But I understand. Right now I am training 2-3 times a week. My shoulder is really bothering me and so is my left hip. Not sure what the latter is about. Co-owner of the school tried some voodoo in my shoulder but didn’t do much. Considering trying airrosti.

My left shoulder is screwy, I think it’s from a nasty Americana a few years ago but can’t prove it. 

A couple of years ago I did 6-8 weeks of PT but didn’t fix it for good.  I’m trying to do some basic mobility work each day but still bind up. I’ve also had some knots around my scapula that were causing pain in the front of my shoulders. 

I have a ShouldeRok to try and get better but haven’t ever gotten into a routine with it. I’ve looked hard at Crossover Symetry but feel it would sit as well. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 1:21 PM, Junior Miller said:

Is there a cure for cauliflower ear?

both my kids got it/have it from wrestling.  we drain immediately and usually takes 2-3 drains over a few day period.  if that doesnt work, an ent will make a tiny incision.  keep pressure on it.  you cant see either one of my kids now unless you are really looking for it.  as pat said, once it hardens up, plastic surgery is the only answer.

question...anyone know a good/great boxing and or muay thai coach in DFW?    

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Been back on the mats about 3 weeks or so. I normally don’t care about stripes on my belt, but as I get older and I am having trouble keeping up with the younger guys, it does feel good to get a stripe. So tonight, I got my 3rd stripe on my purple belt. I am happy but also annoyed by all my injuries and time I took off when I wasn’t hurt but felt life was too busy.

The other day I was rolling with a black belt. Really great grappler and nice guy. We are usually just cracking each other up while we roll. He got this funky omoplata on me and I tried to jump over him to avoid the submission. I ended up in a head stand for a couple of seconds as we both laughed about it. He sent me the security camera footage of it. I thought it was amusing.

u228NE0L_o.jpeg

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 9:07 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Been back on the mats about 3 weeks or so. I normally don’t care about stripes on my belt, but as I get older and I am having trouble keeping up with the younger guys, it does feel good to get a stripe. So tonight, I got my 3rd stripe on my purple belt. I am happy but also annoyed by all my injuries and time I took off when I wasn’t hurt but felt life was too busy.

The other day I was rolling with a black belt. Really great grappler and nice guy. We are usually just cracking each other up while we roll. He got this funky omoplata on me and I tried to jump over him to avoid the submission. I ended up in a head stand for a couple of seconds as we both laughed about it. He sent me the security camera footage of it. I thought it was amusing.

u228NE0L_o.jpeg

Congrats on the third stripe. I bet you make Brown in no time.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Are there any good BJJ gyms in Austin?

Sorry, just seeing this now. There are several. What part of town are you in? I would say the most high profile is Six Blades (Xande Ribeiro).

Just started BJJ a few weeks ago....Can't believe how addicting it is. 

It is. Just don’t burn out. Where do you train?

14 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Sorry, just seeing this now. There are several. What part of town are you in? I would say the most high profile is Six Blades (Xande Ribeiro).

It is. Just don’t burn out. Where do you train?

A place in Alvin called Still Waters. It was between this place and a Gracie Barra gym in Webster but Still Waters class times fit my schedule a little better. The only thing that's frustrating right now is due to the fact it's a smaller gym we don't get a lot of new people so converting the skills I learn in drills over to live training can be tough since everyone has more experience then I do but it's a fun challenge so far. 

A place in Alvin called Still Waters. It was between this place and a Gracie Barra gym in Webster but Still Waters class times fit my schedule a little better. The only thing that's frustrating right now is due to the fact it's a smaller gym we don't get a lot of new people so converting the skills I learn in drills over to live training can be tough since everyone has more experience then I do but it's a fun challenge so far. 

Cool. I hadn’t heard of that gym but looked them up. The head instructor is a brown belt? You used to see that (even purple belts) a lot more years ago. But it seems there are so many gyms now and many more black belts.

The last place I was training at was a Gracie Barra. The people were fine, but it’s a corporate gym. I miss training at a more independent gym. I really miss my first gym in Brazil.

47 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Cool. I hadn’t heard of that gym but looked them up. The head instructor is a brown belt? You used to see that (even purple belts) a lot more years ago. But it seems there are so many gyms now and many more black belts.

The last place I was training at was a Gracie Barra. The people were fine, but it’s a corporate gym. I miss training at a more independent gym. I really miss my first gym in Brazil.

He was a brown belt I think in 2019-2020 and got the black sometime in the last year. I may be wrong on those dates. I haven't gone to a Gracie gym yet but I do know the Gracie students that visit our gym tend to have a tough time finishing the class. He does focus on a lot of fitness and cardio before drilling and from what the Gracie people have said they don't do that in a regular class. Like I said, I don't know that to be a fact it's just what the 2 people that have come in have said so I'll take that with a grain of salt. If you get a chance Rogan had on a guy named Todd White who I guess is famous and also trains BJJ. Great listen and they talk about the early days of finding schools. Below is a small sample of the podcast and also a clip I found of the instructor at Stillwater. 

Todd White on Finding Jiu Jitsu in 1993 - Bing video

57 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I just realized you said you trained in Brazil...That's incredible

7 hours ago, Santo89 said:
He was a brown belt I think in 2019-2020 and got the black sometime in the last year. I may be wrong on those dates. I haven't gone to a Gracie gym yet but I do know the Gracie students that visit our gym tend to have a tough time finishing the class. He does focus on a lot of fitness and cardio before drilling and from what the Gracie people have said they don't do that in a regular class. Like I said, I don't know that to be a fact it's just what the 2 people that have come in have said so I'll take that with a grain of salt. If you get a chance Rogan had on a guy named Todd White who I guess is famous and also trains BJJ. Great listen and they talk about the early days of finding schools. Below is a small sample of the podcast and also a clip I found of the instructor at Stillwater. 
Todd White on Finding Jiu Jitsu in 1993 - Bing video

Gracie Barra has had the easiest warm ups of any gym I have trained at. But the rolling was generally tough and I would usually get five 5 minute rounds in. However, I don’t like how they make everyone buy their gis.

I don’t who that guy is that was on Joe Rohan’s show, but that was a great story. I don’t go back that far (I started in 2006), but Ajax here on Surly goes back to those old school days. Hearing them talk about purple belts quitting makes me want to get back at it as soon as I figure out what is going on with my elbow.

7 hours ago, Santo89 said:
I just realized you said you trained in Brazil...That's incredible

Yeah, it was cool to train there. It was a really nice gym (as in weights, bikes, etc) and also judo and BJJ school. The owners are two brothers that are black belts in both and the older brother was on the Brazilian Judo team (took bronze in the Pan games). While this wasn’t the 90’s, there was still very little info on line. A few Gracie in action videos on YouTube, one or two forums about BJJ and very few gi brands. We never wore rash guards. I still hate wearing them. Those days and that gym are usually what I compare places to. I have trained mostly with Brazilians but also a couple of really good Americans.

I competed twice in Brazil. Once as a white belt (got silver) and once as a blue (lost first fight by a fucking advantage). I don’t care much for competition and doubt I will ever again.

2007 in Brazil as a white belt about to get arm barred by a blue belt. 

spacer.png

Edited by Patricio Swayze
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Gracie Barra has had the easiest warm ups of any gym I have trained at. But the rolling was generally tough and I would usually get five 5 minute rounds in. However, I don’t like how they make everyone buy their gis.

I don’t who that guy is that was on Joe Rohan’s show, but that was a great story. I don’t go back that far (I started in 2006), but Ajax here on Surly goes back to those old school days. Hearing them talk about purple belts quitting makes me want to get back at it as soon as I figure out what is going on with my elbow.

Yeah, it was cool to train there. It was a really nice gym (as in weights, bikes, etc) and also judo and BJJ school. The owners are two brothers that are black belts in both and the older brother was on the Brazilian Judo team (took bronze in the Pan games). While this wasn’t the 90’s, there was still very little info on line. A few Gracie in action videos on YouTube, one or two forums about BJJ and very few gi brands. We never wore rash guards. I still hate wearing them. Those days and that gym are usually what I compare places to. I have trained mostly with Brazilians but also a couple of really good Americans.

I competed twice in Brazil. Once as a white belt (got silver) and once as a blue (lost first fight by a fucking advantage). I don’t care much for competition and doubt I will ever again.

2007 in Brazil as a white belt about to get arm barred by a blue belt. 

spacer.png

That is a great pic

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/13/2021 at 8:50 AM, Santo89 said:

Whoa, sorry I'm just seeing this now. Just watched this interview and it's like deja vu. I started around the same time, maybe a little before the first UFC. I kept seeing these Gracie in Action ads in martial arts magazines and I ordered one. I was mesmerized and I had to learn it.

So I called around to see if there were any schools teaching it and I finally found one way the fuck down in San Diego (Reylson Gracie).  I think I called Torrance but they didn't pick up the phone. I was in SF so San Diego was a no-go but the guy that answered the phone told me that his brother was teaching out of garage in SF.

So I gave him a call and showed up at the garage. They were all like these huge dudes that turned me into a pretzel and I was hooked. I still have my Krugans gi! I eventually got to train with several Gracies after that.

btw - I never thought I'd see the day that Austin would become the epicenter of BJJ. Back when I was there, the closest we had was a Judo club.

You guys living there are lucky. These days my knees are too bad to train but it's fun being a spectator.

You guys living there are lucky. These days my knees are too bad to train but it's fun being a spectator.

It is pretty cool that Austin has some big names running academies there. But I don’t know if this generation is lucky. Or maybe I am tainted because I was part of the wave that bridges the old school Brazilian guys with what it is now. I think Ajax, you are the lucky one. I would rather have trained the way you did than all this extremely sport specific techniques (all the goofy 50-50 bullshit and butt flopping). I’m glad I started training in Brazil.

I have yet to find a school I really love like that first one in Brazil. The one I trained at for several years (where I got my purple) was pretty close…until it wasn’t.

I am currently on a lengthy sabbatical, but still want to train. Just can’t find something I like.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I would rather have trained the way you did than all this extremely sport specific techniques (all the goofy 50-50 bullshit and butt flopping). I’m glad I started training in Brazil.

Yeah, its really a shame how sport specific things have gotten. Once in a while you get throwbacks like Roger but he's the anomaly. And he's also all the way in London.

I'm really out of it so I really don't know, but I think Rickson's organization stays true to roots. Straight Blast professes that they use old style but I don't know if it's just talk. The best training I ever got was with guys from Carlson, but that's old news.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I am trying to get my daughter to stick with Taekwondo and am kicking around doing either Jiu Jitsu or Krav Maga in parallel to see how we progress together.  I figure it will also help me balance out boring exercise with something fun.  I am a complete newbie at all martial arts and in late 40s.  Pretty central Austin, so given that what is the best place for absolute beginners?  My coworker does the 630 am at Renzo Gracie and suggested that one isn’t great for a beginner because the teacher is famous and dudes are a bit more hardcore.  

In any event, curious on how to jump in the pool here.  

I am trying to get my daughter to stick with Taekwondo and am kicking around doing either Jiu Jitsu or Krav Maga in parallel to see how we progress together.  I figure it will also help me balance out boring exercise with something fun.  I am a complete newbie at all martial arts and in late 40s.  Pretty central Austin, so given that what is the best place for absolute beginners?  My coworker does the 630 am at Renzo Gracie and suggested that one isn’t great for a beginner because the teacher is famous and dudes are a bit more hardcore.  

In any event, curious on how to jump in the pool here.  

Don’t do Krav Maga. It’s VERY McDojo (exactly what it sounds like). There are legit Krav Maga places, but they are few and far between.

How central are you and how far are you willing to drive? On 183 is a Gracie Barra. They are the largest team/school in the world. They sometimes get a bad rap because they want people to wear their gi (or at least put their patches on your gi). However, the vast majority of their schools and black belts are absolutely legitimate. In fact from looking at their site, it looks like they have some high level, old school Brazilians running that school. They usually have very good kids classes.

https://gbnorthaustin.com/

I trained at a Gracie Barra for a couple of years and found it to be as legitimate as other places I have trained when it comes to learning the art.

There is another place more central called VOW, but I know nothing about them nor have I heard of the teacher there.

I am sure that Renzo place is good, but for ethical reasons I wouldn’t train there. I can go into if you want to know.

More than happy to answer any questions you have. I’m in my mid-late 40s and been training since 2006 (although very inconsistently as of late).
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2023 at 11:41 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

I can’t imagine trying to teach a kids class. Chaos.

I have been meaning to see if my kids want to train, but they don’t seem overly interested. I just teach them a few things here and there at home. I am wary of teaching my youngest how to weaponize herself.

I've taught a few kids classes. It's a nightmare. Teaching kids is a skill unto itself.

When my son was really young, I taught him how to maintain mount. He then proceeded to pin all the kids he played with. My wife told me to stop teaching him.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I know nothing about martial arts, but physical 100 is pretty entertaining and one of the contestants is judo gold medalist Lee Won-Hee. They showed some of his highlights, and holy shit. The speed with which he slides completely between someone's legs to flip them is insane.