Millennium Falcon of AWESOMNESS 

nineliveslost

On 11/23/2020 at 2:47 PM, BabaYaga said:

Anyone ever done the cost benefit analysis of old toys you destroyed as a kid with fire, bb guns, .22's and fireworks?  Had to be in the thousands over the years.  I once set off every last firecracker we had in the belly of my old Star wars AT-AT to simulate Luke's taking one out on Hoth.  It was a glorious fireball of acrid smoke and later burying the evidence to hide it from pops....

Once upon a time, I strapped a model rocket engine to one side of the blade of a GI Joe Cobra helicopter.  Rolled out the remote to maybe 5 feet away, turned my head (for safety's sake), and hit the FIRE button.  Damned if that helicopter didn't lift off and fly as planned in my 12 year old mind for maybe 20 yards and 25 feet off the ground.  It survived unscathed and is in my younger kids room as a trophy for awesomeness.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

My only comments on this thread:

Love that you are building this, and enjoying the time spent with your wife. I'm afraid my husband would've never had a weapon sitting on the table near a kit like that because after seven successive tries at trying to pry apart two welded together tiny two pronged pieces and jamming one underneath a finger nail, I would shoot the Falcon.

I loved Legos as a child and our children have spent a lot of time creating with them. They were not ones for the kits, though. They liked the loose collections. We have a running gag in our household about little plastic Barbie shoes and Legos and which one is more likely to cripple us.

My husband has a wonderful story about accidentally setting the garage on fire, and also one about blowing up a doll (GI Joe or something similar) with a contraband M-80 firecracker that was apparently an attempt to reenact a movie plotline.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Love that you are building this, and enjoying the time spent with your wife. I'm afraid my husband would've never had a weapon sitting on the table near a kit like that because after seven successive tries at trying to pry apart two welded together tiny two pronged pieces and jamming one underneath a finger nail, I would shoot the Falcon.

I loved Legos as a child and our children have spent a lot of time creating with them. They were not ones for the kits, though. They liked the loose collections. We have a running gag in our household about little plastic Barbie shoes and Legos and which one is more likely to cripple us.

My husband has a wonderful story about accidentally setting the garage on fire, and also one about blowing up a doll (GI Joe or something similar) with a contraband M-80 firecracker that was apparently an attempt to reenact a movie plotline.

Lady, the pry tool that comes with every kit now is great and saves you from all of that.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Guns were just for the photo op

We actually spend a relaxing time building it and drinking while we listen to music. I am pleasantly surprised the wife loves the time and now it has bled over into her watching the Mandalorian with me. Good times . 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yep. Took me a bit to figure out what that strange looking piece was for. Kids have it too easy these days. 

I tried to use it for a couple of minutes and said fuck it, gave it to the wife with nails or the tool to use. I don't remember legos fusing together like they do now 

Can you tell if the top comes off easily on panels or one piece for access to the interior?  Or do you just have to be content knowing the interior is finished out?
Top panels come off easily. There's little pegs they fit into securely but easy enough with a little pressure to release. Pretty genius engineering and the detail inside is incredible. Supposedly it's accurate to what was in the original design and all the scenes in the movies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 11:11 PM, Elvis said:

A couple years back I got my son the ~2000 piece falcon.  I built the whole kit in n one long sitting on Christmas Day.  My back hurt after that.  

it survived about a month.  

My six year old built that too. He's a Lego fanatic. He's done the MF, the AT-AT, Slave One, the Star Destroyer, Kylo Ren's ship, and others. It's amazing. 

I used to hate Lego. I hated that I always ended up putting the goddamn things together and then it was a toy the kid couldn't play with. My older son hates them too. But the 6 year old is like a surgeon. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
We're back building the Falcon !

2.5 hours

I have said it before but damn this thing is detailed. Might do a video so you guys can see the inside of the millennium falcon and how much engineering went into this thing924ee871a631378db805908f105d691e.jpg478f3ef37382e6f29d45a69121defae1.jpg62ea7c547cec43c186db526f0bf6131a.jpg9af201e6bb102e52ed6e71e081faf98f.jpg3d7acb96e6584d2e40ef9c784c10c6c3.jpg

You take the video, have the wife show the toy. I’m sure she’s better looking.

2 hours ago, Bigbend1812 said:

delegating prime minister GIF by CBC

It’s looking good.   No way i could do this with my wife.  Day 1 would have ended with it in the trash. 

As strange as it sounds, she has ended up loving building this thing. She's happy, drinking and singing the entire time. I am the one that gets frustrated because of the small pieces and taking too much time building. Damn sure is making memories and quality time together most of the time 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/6/2020 at 8:22 PM, nineliveslost said:

2.5 hours and stopping for this weekend.
Had fun and impressed with the engineers that created this thing. Freaking awesome

Pic includes almost everything the Shag...errr Surly lovesaed9bf65902786077cd8c448d98549ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

need more pics with the same background.  you know, for scale.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Are you a contractor?  I’m guessing you are given the amount of time it is taking to complete this project.

Too funny. I wish I was getting paid for it. 

I do a lot of traveling but home on the weekends. We only work on the Lego set Friday night while we listen to tunes and have some drinks. It's perfect for us to reconnect after the week and "bond" while we build.  I think we will do the big Star Destroyer next if I can figure out a place to put them . 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2021 at 10:51 AM, Jkwellborn said:

How many contractors were killed when the Death Star blew up?

Given its state at destruction I’d say very few. I’m sure most had other jobs that took longer than expected and that their communicators mysteriously stopped being able to contact their client to inform them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

The Millennium Falcon. 7,500 pieces. 23.5 hours. Worked on it only Friday nights. It's awesome

All that's left is the lights and stand. Can't start that until 3 weeks. Should be done end of the month and I'll send last pics of this bad ass lego set... wife had more fun than i did building it. Next up, Star Destroyer :)b468f04895b9476f8bdceab8057c9bd5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Only photo we needed. +Rep

On 3/5/2021 at 5:58 PM, nineliveslost said:

The Millennium Falcon. 7,500 pieces. 23.5 hours. Worked on it only Friday nights. It's awesome

All that's left is the lights and stand. Can't start that until 3 weeks. Should be done end of the month and I'll send last pics of this bad ass lego set... wife had more fun than i did building it. Next up, Star Destroyer :)119bfea2cc597fbfad0432c854120ba0.jpg4bf0a7f1f3d24c5e8048a6b78611689b.jpg415d9643ba37d846fcb7bb6ff9fc7361.jpg2a3ad6c2a824e4c6d3c7aa90ed6a23ed.jpgb468f04895b9476f8bdceab8057c9bd5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

“What a piece of junk!”

looks awesome.

The falcon looks good too

Edited by Incredulity
  • Haha 1