2020: Garrett Gilbert May Start for Cowboys

Kyle

Cross post from the cowboys thread.

considering squints is probably going to start for us sunday i thought this was timely. 
10 years ago today garrett gilbert started vs kansas state.  in that game he threw 5 INTs.  the kansas state quarterback for the entire game completed two passes.  when the clock hit 00:00, garrett gilbert had completed three more passes to kansas state players than the kansas state quarterback had completed to his own players.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Garret Gilbert was 93 yards and a touchdown away from being a longhorn legend as a true freshman. We had the ball down three with three minutes to go against Alabama. Instead,  Bama’s blitz off the edge which caused the fumble made him a super bowl winner and a potential starting nfl qb.

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, EuroHorn said:

Garret Gilbert was 93 yards and a touchdown away from being a longhorn legend as a true freshman. We had the ball down three with three minutes to go against Alabama. Instead,  Bama’s blitz off the edge which caused the fumble made him a super bowl winner and a potential starting nfl qb.

I’m still screaming at this 

On 11/5/2020 at 10:06 AM, Longboard Horn said:

Speaking of undefeated, he did beat a top ranked undefeated team as a starter before. 

IHG2NSEOXKRDTWMHPBBLYSBFUE.jpg

I remember this game but not the details.  Seems like he was more dominant than he was:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=302890158

4-16 62 yards

11 carries for 71 yards

including two 1 yard td runs.

Nub's Burkhead, iirc, was probably Texas' best player that day.

this game wasnt surprising gilbert has been a great qb every where he has been post texas
aaf gilbert was litty 
And before (LT). Seriously, how much does it suck that he sucked so bad here but somehow is a good QB? Fuck if we didn't need a good QB in 2010.

Think of all the buttheads out there who trashed him. Changing the system was a killer. He probably didn't handle pressure of the situation well.

He had some stellar games for SMU. Arm chair QBs were all over his game while at Texas.

You will not find a greater play than this. Looked at several options. Showed mobility. Threw that about 60 yards on a line. (From the 7. 10 yards deep in the EZ. About three-fourths across the field out of 53. And it would have carried beyond the endline)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Think of all the buttheads out there who trashed him. Changing the system was a killer. He probably didn't handle pressure of the situation well.

He had some stellar games for SMU. Arm chair QBs were all over his game while at Texas.

Shane Buechele is doing twice as good at SMU if we're going to have a basis for comparison

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Gilbert represented himself well. Under the circumstances I think it safe to say he exceeded most people’s expectations. 

Unfortunately it is the NFL, the pinnacle of the sport. Give opposing defensive coordinators enough film and they will make it considerably more difficult. 

That’s fair, but in my opinion he earned another start coming out of the bye. They’ll probably give it back to Dalton since they paid Dalton, but I’d start Gilbert until he legitimately sucks. See if he might be able to be your backup next year. I just really like how he carried himself yesterday. In game, the press conference after the game. GG is all grown up and confident now. He’s got a little moxie to him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Mikey4 said:
16 hours ago, wood said:
Yeah, seems like maybe Texas (Mack) failed him more than he failed Texas.

I still scratch my head about that whole debacle. Has anyone ever published a candid tell-all, either from Squint's perspective or from Mack/Greg's?

Just riffing, but I think there are a lot of parallels with Chris Simms. Both came as highly, highly touted high school quarterbacks ... both had NFL pedigrees ... both followed a popular, "lunch pail" quarterback. Neither likely put in a great situation to succeed.

I agree it will be different when there are weeks of film, but he accounted himself well - let's hope it continues and he can turn it into a full-time starting gig somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

VY says "Whaaaa?"

Indeed.

VY is still the best HS or College QB I've ever seen, and could have possibly been one of the best ever in the NFL had he gone to a better situation (read: almost any other situation).

• Like 1

Lamar Jackson fizzled out after his stellar last season.  RG3 had a good but brief run.  Scam Newton got more credit than he deserved and look where he is now.  If you were a betting person, its hard to put money on VY having a best ever type of career in the NFL, even if all the stars were aligned

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Lamar Jackson fizzled out after his stellar last season.  RG3 had a good but brief run.  Scam Newton got more credit than he deserved and look where he is now.  If you were a betting person, its hard to put money on VY having a best ever type of career in the NFL, even if all the stars were aligned

The difference is that when VY came into the NFL, nobody was geared to stop or even slow down the things he was able to do best.  Even now there are tons of less talented guys successfully running the same kinds of things VY did. Any QB that can run at all these days is running the zone read at least a little, even in the NFL. IMHO they're doing that largely because of what VY did at Texas. 

Had VY gone anywhere where the HC and OC knew the potential of what they had on their hands and had a clue how to use him, he'd have blown shit up for a long time. When VY came out, we were told even the best zone read QB ever (VY) wouldn't be able to run it in the NFL and would get killed. How many times did you hear "You can't run that shit against NFL defenses"? As it turns out, you can, and NFL defenses are just as vulnerable as college defenses to the mismatches created by proper use of a good dual threat qb.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Just riffing, but I think there are a lot of parallels with Chris Simms. Both came as highly, highly touted high school quarterbacks ... both had NFL pedigrees ... both followed a popular, "lunch pail" quarterback. Neither likely put in a great situation to succeed.

I agree it will be different when there are weeks of film, but he accounted himself well - let's hope it continues and he can turn it into a full-time starting gig somewhere.

Agree, esp the parallels between how Simms and GG were treated by the fans. I also see parallels between GG going from HS to college and VY going from college to the NFL.

17 hours ago, Had Enough said:

You will not find a greater play than this. Looked at several options. Showed mobility. Threw that about 60 yards on a line. (From the 7. 10 yards deep in the EZ. About three-fourths across the field out of 53. And it would have carried beyond the endline)

Lol @ on a line

37 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Cam Newton won 4 division titles in 9-10 years in a tough division, won an MVP, and led a 15-1 team to the super bowl. He was the main cog in that offense all 9 years, all 4 division titles, etc. If they won that super bowl he wouldve been the first qb  ever to win a heisman, national championship, MVP, and super bowl. He didn’t get overrated. He was very much properly rated, and definitely not treated fairly in regards to the type of leader he’s always been. Anyone that’s ever played with Cam vouches for him. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1

Lol @ on a line
Ok. I never said straight line now did I? But definitely more linish than hail maryish. Had some juice on it.

I did the math for you so you wouldn't argue the distance. Sorry for not elaborating the trajectory of the throw. I am unable to determine the angle and exact speed and distance. My apologies.

Only Quin Ewers, Michael Vick and Bruce Matthews can throw it that far on a line. But they can't be throwing off their back foot while rolling away from the direction of the throw

5 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Both Mack and Gilbert deserve blame. It wasn't all Mack.  Gilbert's first year at SMU was mediocre. 15TD/15INT. His turnover issues followed him to SMU for a year. Then he seems to have figured something out and had a really nice senior season  -  21TD/7INT.  

Well when you were forced to play 2 years under center, in an entirely different offense than the one you thought you were going to run when you came to Texas. Mack trying to copy bama and changing our offense to an under center running team was the downfall of our program IMO. Everyone in this state runs the spread, but you switch to under center power football? Mack and Greg Davis were probably 80% of the problem and GG was more like 20%

18 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Well when you were forced to play 2 years under center, in an entirely different offense than the one you thought you were going to run when you came to Texas. Mack trying to copy bama and changing our offense to an under center running team was the downfall of our program IMO. Everyone in this state runs the spread, but you switch to under center power football? Mack and Greg Davis were probably 80% of the problem and GG was more like 20%

So Mack and Greg Davis are also to blame for his struggles at SMU?

8 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

So Mack and Greg Davis are also to blame for his struggles at SMU?

Are you serious? Hell yes they are. They bait and switched the poor kid and the entirety of his offensive teammates into an offense that's the opposite of what they were recruited to run and had ever run, failed to coach him up or change the offense back at all  when it was apparent it wasn't a fit for him. Then fed him to the wolves to get embarrassed all season long while the fans went hostile and brutal on him both in person and social media. 

So he gets to SMU with zero confidence. An ashamed, embarrassed, abused failure of a QB who received no proper coaching from Mack. Yeah, big surprise it took a season to build the poor kid back up after that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...