Bijan Robinson is special

SDG

Texas football: Bijan Robinson's leadership praised by Kirk Herbstreit, RB given 'Ultimate Herbie' award

by Raymond Lucas Jr.       Dec 9th

Texas Longhorns running back Bijan Robinson won the "Ultimate Herbie" award during Kirk Herbstreit's annual Herbie Awards ceremony on Thursday evening. Earlier in the night, Robinson was named the winner of the Doak Walker Award, given to the best running back in college football. This past season, Robinson logged 258 carries for 1,580 yards and 18 touchdowns.

"Just a lot of fun to watch," Herbstreit said of Robinson. "Like I said, I had a chance to sit down with him we got ready to call the TCU game. You do these production meetings and that's probably my favorite part of my job. Sitting down with the players when we get a chance to talk with him and get to know them a little bit beyond just watching film on him. And man, he's just one of those guys. when he walks into the room he just everybody in the room can feel his energy he just lights the room up. What an unbelievable job he's done it providing leadership and big-play ability. But again, the Ultimate Herbie is more than that, And he's a great example of what it's all about.

After being announced as the winner of the Doak Walker Award, Robinson weighed in on the frequently drawn comparison to USC legend Reggie Bush. Bush won the Doak Walker Award himself in 2005 and went on to win the Heisman Trophy after rushing for 1,740 yards and 16 scores on 200 carries.

"It's a blessing," Robinson said of being compared to Bush. "Reggie Bush is a guy that I've been looking up to ever since I was a kid. My grandpa, he reffed Reggie Bush, so understanding that I can get compared to him or even be in the conversation with him, it's pretty cool to see that. For me, I just love his game, I take techniques out of his game to make my game that much better."

Robinson was a five-star recruit and ranked No. 21 nationally coming out of Tuscon (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic in the Class of 2020. He was the top-ranked running back and No. 2 player overall in the state of Arizona.

Time will tell if Robinson has played his final game at Texas. The Longhorns have a date with Washington in the Alamo Bowl, and Robinson could opt-out in order to avoid risking injury ahead of the NFL Draft.and Robinson could opt-out in order to avoid risking injury ahead of the NFL Draft.

"I think all those things, when you talk about the players, who's playing, who's not, I think those are all things we have to work ourselves through," Sarkisian said in his pre-Alamo Bowl press conference. "... Bijan, he loves the University of Texas. For him to decide do I leave early to go to the NFL or not, I mean, that is a tough decision. That's heavy on anybody. So we try to help him, support him the best we can."

• Hook 'Em 1

12.12.2022 | Football

Bijan_Robinson.png&width=768&height=460&

Robinson named AP All-American

Junior running back Bijan Robinson earned consensus All-American status with his third first-team honor of the year; junior linebacker Jaylan Ford named to the third team.

AUSTIN, Texas – Texas Football junior running back Bijan Robinson was selected as a first-team All-American by the Associated Press and junior linebacker Jaylan Ford was named to the third team, the organization announced on Monday. It marks the third first-team All-America honor of the year for Robinson, granting him consensus All-America honors. He has also received the accolade from the Walter Camp Football Foundation and the Football Writers Association of America. Ford earned the first All-American accolade of his career.

Robinson is the 62nd Longhorn to achieve consensus All-American distinction and the eighth Texas back, joining James Saxton (1961), Chris Gilbert (1968), Steve Worster (1970), Roosevelt Leaks (1973), Earl Campbell (1977), Ricky Williams (1997, 1998) and D'Onta Foreman (2016).

The 2022 Doak Walker Award winner, Robinson leads the nation in tandem yards with 1,894 (1,580 rushing, 314 receiving) and is second in total touchdowns (20) while averaging a Big 12-best 131.7 rushing yards and 157.83 all-purpose yards per game. He has nine 100-yard rushing games in the last 10 outings, including a pair of 200-yard efforts, and has rushed for a touchdown in 10 of 12 games this year with multiple rushing touchdowns on five occasions. Robinson has tallied 100 yards from scrimmage 11 times and notched 200-plus yards on three occasions. He has 18 plays (11 rushes, 7 receptions) of 20-plus yards this season, including touchdown runs of 78, 42, 41, 40, 36 and 31 yards.

A native of Tucson, Ariz., he native ranks fourth nationally in rushing touchdowns (18), fifth in rushing yards (1,580), all-purpose yards (157.83 ypg) and points scored (120), and sixth in rushing yards per game (131.7), while leading the Big 12 in each category. His 1,580 rushing yards on the year are the seventh-most in a season in program history, while his 18 rushing touchdowns and nine 100-yard rushing games are the fifth-most.

In addition to his selection as a first-team All-American by the Associated Press, the FWAA and the WCFF and earning the Doak Walker Award, he has been recognized as a semifinalist for the Walter Camp Award and Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award. Robinson was also named to the All-Big 12 First Team for the second consecutive year and was a unanimous choice in 2022.

Ford, who hails from Frisco, Texas, earned his first All-American honor after a stellar season on the Forty Acres. An All-Big 12 selection at linebacker by the league's coaches and the Associated Press, Ford recorded 109 tackles (57 solo), 10 tackles for loss, two sacks, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, four interceptions, two quarterback hurries and two pass breakups this season. A three-time Big 12 Conference Defensive Player of the Week in 2022, he leads the Big 12 in forced fumbles and fumble recoveries, while ranking second in interceptions and total tackles per game (9.1). Ford tops FBS linebackers in interceptions and is the only Power 5 player with four interceptions and three forced fumbles. He is also the only FBS player with four interceptions, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries and both of his fumble recoveries clinched wins for Texas (Kansas State, Iowa State). His four interceptions are tied for the most by a linebacker in a season in UT history. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas RB Bijan Robinson makes history as a unanimous All-American

By JEFF HOWE            82 min ago

Texas RB Bijan Robinson achieved consensus All-American status earlier in the week and with his selection to the2022 American Football Coaches Association’s FBS Coaches’ All-America Team on Thursday, Robinson’s career accomplishments on the Forty Acres include being a unanimous All-American. Already selected as a first-team All-American by the Walter Camp Football Foundation, the Football Writers Association of America, the Associated Press and the Sporting News, Robinson’s fifth and final NCAA-recognized All-American honor makes him the 23rd unanimous All-American in program history.

Robinson joins James Saxton (1961), Earl Campbell (1977) and Ricky Williams (1997 and 1998) as the only unanimous All-American Longhorn running backs. Robinson is also the first unanimous All-American coached by Steve Sarkisian and he’s the first unanimous All-American produced by Texas since punter Michael Dickson and defensive back DeShon Elliott in 2017 along with being the program's first unanimous All-American from the offensive side of the ball since Colt McCoy in 2009.

The fourth Longhorn to win the Doak Walker Award as the nation’s top running back (Williams in 1997 and 1998, Cedric Benson in 2004 and D'Onta Foreman in 2016), Robinson earned a place alongside the best players to ever suit up on the Forty Acres by putting together a special season. The 62nd consensus All-American in program history (the eighth running back to claim the honor and the first to do so since Foreman), Robinson’s 12-game regular season concluded with him leading the nation with 1,834 yards from scrimmage and ranking second in the country with 20 total touchdowns.

Robinson leads the Big 12 and ranks No. 6 nationally in rushing with 131.7 yards per game (1,580 total) while his 157.8 all-purpose yards per game (1,894 total) is the best in the conference and the fifth-best mark in the country. A unanimous first-team All-Big 12 selection, Robinson ranks fourth nationally with 18 rushing touchdowns and fifth with 120 total points scored, both of which are the best marks in the conference.

On the school’s single-season charts, Robinson is among the program’s leaders in rushing yards (seventh), rushing touchdowns (fifth) and 100-yard rushing games (fifth with nine). Robinson also has advanced statistics backing up the raw numbers to prove his prowess on the field with Pro Football Focus ranking Robinson among the nation’s leaders among running backs with 104 missed tackles forced (first), 1,066 yards after contact (third), 79 first downs accounted for (eighth), 314 yards receiving (eighth), 1.52 yards per route run (eighth among running backs who averaged 10 rushing attempts per game), 41 runs of 10 or more yards (ninth) and 21 designed rushing attempts of more than 15 yards (10th).

In 31 career games for the Longhorns, Robinson ranks fourth on the school’s all-time rushing yardage list with 3,410 yards, trailing only Williams (6,279), Benson (5,540) and Campbell (4,443). Robinson also ranks fourth in school history with 41 total touchdowns, 4,215 yards from scrimmage and 18 games with 100 or more rushing yards.

He's eighth all-time with 33 rushing touchdowns and 4,231 all-purpose yards, ninth with 246 points scored and he's currently poised to break Williams' school record for yards per rushing attempt in a career (6.3). A two-time first-team All-Big 12 selection and a five-time Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week honoree (twice in 2022), Robinson is the first Longhorn since Vince Young (2004-05) to rush for 1,000 or more yards in consecutive seasons (1,127 yards in 10 games last season as a sophomore).

Robinson has yet to make a formal announcement about whether or not he’s going to play in the Alamo Bowl on Dec. 29 when No. 20 Texas (8-4, 6-3 Big 12) faces No. 12 Washington (10-2, 7-2 Pac-12) to close out the 2022 season, or if he’s going to leave school early and make himself available for the 2023 NFL Draft. Whether his career as a Longhorn is over or not, Robinson reflected on his time at Texas after carrying the football 29 times for 179 yards and two touchdowns in a 38-27 win over Baylor at Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in the regular-season finale on Nov. 25, calling the three years since arriving on campus as the nation's No. 1-ranked running back prospect, a five-star recruit and the No. 15 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite for 2020, “a blessing."

"People ask me all the time: 'Why do you stay? Why did you stay? Why didn't you leave and go to a really good team or a team that [wins more]?'” he said. “But I just tell them, 'I know that God had a plan for me to be here,' and it's not about other people. It's not about what they think. It's about what I trust in and where my faith is. It's been an awesome opportunity to be here and get to know so many people and meet so many people and, obviously, be with a team like this. It's just awesome to be a part of that. It's a blessing to be here and I wouldn't take [anything] away."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Tanking is when you lose on purpose as part of a multi-year rebuilding plan managed by individuals who know what they are doing.  Houston just sucks.

Thanks for everything Bijan.

I just think its funny every time some beloved college superstar from Texas enters the draft the Texans are sitting there with the #1 pick. I wonder what defensive lineman they will draft this time?

• Hook 'Em 1