Bijan Robinson is special

SDG

24 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Fuck that I'd be a philly phanatic if Bijan went there fuck jerry jones

While I agree with the fuck jerry jones sentiment, there are some things I simply can't do.  Rooting for the Eagles is in the Top 25 of that list, maybe Top 10.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2023 at 10:18 AM, kevwun said:

He would be ridiculous with the Eagles or Chiefs.  Pairing him with a mobile qb would be a nightmare for defenses with his receiving ability.

I don't think a Longhorn has ever scored a touchdown in the Super Bowl, which is a sad bit of trivia if that is true. If either of these teams drafted Bijan, you'd have to feel like the odds of it happening soon just went way up. Given that I don't root for any particular NFL team, it would be fun to see him get that chance.

• Hook 'Em 2

I would absolutely love for him to be drafted by the Chiefs, but I can't fathom him falling that far down or the Chiefs trading up to get him.

I also wonder what he could do in Denver with Sean Peyton and Russell Wilson.  But as a Chiefs fan, I don't want to think about that possibility either.

The Eagles haven't drafted a RB in the first round since Howie Roseman has been there, and Howie Roseman has been there a long time 

They'll draft a more "valuable" position like tackle, edge rusher, WR, CB, etc 

While I agree with the fuck jerry jones sentiment, there are some things I simply can't do.  Rooting for the Eagles is in the Top 25 of that list, maybe Top 10.
Same here, but I'd still root for Bijan to do well..

then in 4 years move along to another team, literally any other team.

Missed the live stuff, just watched a recap of Bijan and Roschon's workouts on YT.

Whichever team is smart enough (even if it's the godforsaken Iggles) to snag Bijan is getting more than a player filling a position..he will sell jerseys and put extra butts in seats. Rojo will be a steal for someone, hope he's off the board at least 3rd round.

I have zero interest in the lions drafting a RB in the first round, but the more mock drafts I see and the more I read about Bijan I would be cool with him at 18. 

Much rather have him than the 6th best QB or some random combine hero that is going to be a bust. 

On 3/13/2023 at 12:50 PM, Juicy said:

I have zero interest in the lions drafting a RB in the first round, but the more mock drafts I see and the more I read about Bijan I would be cool with him at 18. 

Much rather have him than the 6th best QB or some random combine hero that is going to be a bust. 

Lions off the board in 1st Rd for Bijan

Detroit Lions, David Montgomery agree on 3-year, $18M deal

The Detroit Lions and former Chicago Bears running back David Montgomery reached an agreement on a three-year, $18 million deal, including $11 million guaranteed, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tuesday.

With Montgomery departing, the Bears signed former Seattle Seahawks running back Travis Homer to a two-year deal worth a maximum of $4.5 million, according to his agent, Spencer Cannold.

Montgomery, 25, joins a Lions running back corps that scored a league-leading 23 rushing touchdowns last season, including a league-best 17 by Jamaal Williams and five by D'Andre Swift. Williams enters this offseason as an unrestricted free agent while Swift remains under contract through 2023, on the final year of his rookie deal.

In a loaded class of free agent running backs, Montgomery had the 10th-most rushing yards (801) and was fifth in receiving yards (316) of those players. He generated his highest yards per catch (9.3) in 2022 and recorded his first receiving touchdown since his second season in Chicago.

Montgomery was drafted by former Bears general manager Ryan Pace with the 73rd overall pick in the third round of the 2019 NFL draft. In four seasons with Chicago, Montgomery totaled 3,609 rushing yards and 26 touchdowns along with 1,240 receiving yards and four TD receptions.

From 2019 to 2021, Montgomery led the Bears in rushing and posted a career-best 1,070 rushing yards in 2020 when an injury to former Chicago running back Tarik Cohen allowed Montgomery to emerge as the team's top rusher.

Perhaps his biggest on-field attribute is his ability to stay healthy while playing a position notoriously associated with injury. In four seasons, Montgomery appeared in 60 games and missed only six due to injury. In 2022, the running back suffered ankle and knee injuries during a Week 3 win over the Houston Texans but missed just one game.

At the end of the 2022 season, Bears general manager Ryan Poles praised Montgomery for his contributions on the field and leadership that helped insulate the locker room during a 3-14 season.

Homer, a sixth-round pick of the Seahawks in 2019, has seen limited time on the field, totaling 453 yards and a touchdown on 83 carries across four seasons.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Lions off the board in 1st Rd for Bijan

Detroit Lions, David Montgomery agree on 3-year, $18M deal

Yeah.... I know montgomery is good but pretty sad that this means the end of Jamal McCringleberry Williams. That dude was the heart of the lions. Unless he comes back on a super cheap 1 year deal (why would he) its the end of the McCringleberry in Detroit. Bummer

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

🤢🤢🤢🤮

Please, Lord, no.  I really would like to root for him at the next level.

9 minutes ago, Nope said:

They just signed Rashad Penny so now I’d be surprised if they go RB first round 

From your mouth to God's ears.  

• Hook 'Em 1

BIJAN’S BRAND 

Bijan Robinson will have staying power.

Perhaps in football, but most definitely in life. The Texas running back will be a success in whatever vocation he chooses because of that unmistakable “it” factor. It oozes from Robinson. He has an infectious personality that often overshadows his amazing athleticism. Ask any coach or teammate he has been around for the last three years and they will never fail to mention that he’s a good person while complimenting the work he does on the field.

He is quite possibly the most recognizable athlete in the city and on the very short list of most marketable at a time when popular college athletes are achieving wealth long before they leave school.

Rest of article is in above post.

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

BIJAN’S BRAND 

Bijan Robinson will have staying power.

Perhaps in football, but most definitely in life. The Texas running back will be a success in whatever vocation he chooses because of that unmistakable “it” factor. It oozes from Robinson. He has an infectious personality that often overshadows his amazing athleticism. Ask any coach or teammate he has been around for the last three years and they will never fail to mention that he’s a good person while complimenting the work he does on the field.

He is quite possibly the most recognizable athlete in the city and on the very short list of most marketable at a time when popular college athletes are achieving wealth long before they leave school.

Rest of article is in above post.

We've been super lucky with our RBs, especially Earl, Ricky and Bijan---magnetic, cool motherfucks and men of their time.

• Hook 'Em 5

If its philly, its gotta be with their #10 pick, which is higher than a lot of draft chatter has him going. If Philly passes, I suspect someone will draft him earlier than 20-30. Not only do you get a freak athlete, but you get a super marketable guy that can be the face of the franchise and actually win you new fans. 

On 3/15/2023 at 1:47 PM, kevwun said:

Dallas is supposed to cut Zeke today and Pollard broke his leg in the playoffs.

Pokes picked up Roland Jones yesterday, so Bijan is likely spared the Jerrah experience.  Just hoping he can avoid Dan Campbell (an aggy's aggy) at this point. 

The Athletic on Bijan

Spoiler

Forget NFL Draft norms, RB Bijan Robinson is a game-changer and worthy first-round pick

By Nick Baumgardner

Mar 21, 2023

Brad Holmes answered the question with a question.

Speaking with reporters at the NFL combine, the third-year Lions general manager was asked if his franchise — less than three years removed from starting over — would consider a “luxury pick” with one of its two first-round picks in the upcoming NFL Draft. Not a ridiculous idea, as the Lions were inches away from the playoffs in Dan Campbell’s second year and are now firmly rising on the national media darling chart.

However …

“Are we in position to make that luxury pick?” Holmes responded, questioning the questioner’s premise with the trademark tone of a man whose work is never done and whose hand is closely guarded.

There are multiple versions of a “luxury pick.” For many Lions fans, and more national observers, Florida quarterback Anthony Richardson is a popular one.

But let me propose a different player to consider. One who would end any conversation about whether the Lions need to draft a quarterback to join Jared Goff. One who would solve a need for a long time and one who would pair perfectly with everything Detroit is — and will be for the next several years — as an offense.

Not a quarterback luxury pick. The other luxury. The running back. The generational talent, built for the modern game, who could make everything a little bit easier everywhere else on the field for a long, long time.

The Bijan Robinson luxury.

I’ll start with this and will hold to it throughout: I do not care what the numbers say about drafting running backs historically, especially recently, in this case. And I don’t care because Texas sensation Bijan Robinson isn’t a normal running back.

The general batting average on running backs in the first round over the last few years is better than many give it credit for. Najee Harris (No. 24, 2021), Josh Jacobs (No. 24, 2019), Saquon Barkley (No. 2, 2018), Christian McCaffrey (No. 8, 2017). All were first-round worthy in their draft classes, and all are the modern definition of franchise running backs. None needs an elite quarterback to be successful or to have a major impact on a franchise.

I believe Bijan Robinson can be that type of player for the Lions.

I’ll let him tell you why.

“I’m a knee-bender when I run the ball. Another guy that was a knee bender was Barry Sanders,” Robinson told reporters at the combine recently. “To try to redirect (defenders) and try to be as low to the ground as you can get and understand, you have to feel defenders, and read their shoulders and read angles to break as many tackles as you can to try to get north and south.

“I watch (Sanders) probably every other day.”

My favorite thing about Sanders is that he doesn’t have one famous play. He doesn’t even have a signature highlight reel. Every single play is equally special, equally astounding and equally remarkable.

“He was so good,” Robinson said, “at doing things you couldn’t do.”

Sanders was both a marvel in his era while also being ahead of his time. A player like that in today’s game, with as much space as play-callers create on a consistent basis, would be lethal. I’m not here to tell you that Robinson is the next Sanders, because he’s not. There will never be another Barry Sanders. If anything, Robinson is a longer, slightly slower version of Edgerrin James — another Pro Football Hall of Famer with his own unique blend of power, speed, soft hands and a nose for daylight.

Robinson does share some of Sanders’ signature traits, however. His ability to bend himself lower to the ground than anyone on the field — setting up the defenders before shifting his weight without losing any speed and leaving everyone behind — is the chief reason why Robinson was able to rack up 212 missed tackles (104 last year alone) in only three years at Texas and more than 2,300 yards after contact.

The other top trait Robinson shares with Sanders is that he doesn’t need to lean on anyone or anything to make the offense dangerous. A three-down player who doesn’t have to come off the field, Robinson runs routes as well as several receivers in this class. He had only four drops on 77 targets in three years at Texas and he was probably underused at that. Robinson can readjust to bad throws in the air; he can high-point balls.

He can make every player in an offensive huddle look better.

“This kid may be the best player in the sport. This kid is big time.”

BIJAN ROBINSON, WHAT A RUN 😳 pic.twitter.com/oxWpxlfplT

— ESPN (@espn) October 9, 2021

There’s probably no chief reason why Robinson was underutilized at Texas. Backs don’t take the type of punishment they did in Sanders’ day, which is a great thing. Also, Texas heaped plenty on the plate of fellow running back Roschon Johnson during Robinson’s career. In an era when it literally pays to stand out individually (especially at a place like Texas), Robinson had no problem sharing carries or playing time with Johnson.

That’s because Robinson is an unselfish player, one who wants to do what’s best for the whole as much as he wants to do what’s best for himself.

“Roschon is the best teammate I’ve ever had. He brings out so much in a player and the team just how he goes about being a leader,” Robinson says. “Roschon is a god. He’s the other great running back in this class.”

If that’s not on a Dan Campbell-Brad Holmes “we are One Pride” B-I-N-G-O card, I don’t know what is.

Another thing surely on that card is stability at quarterback, and taking a player of Robinson’s caliber — and coupling him with Amon-Ra St. Brown, Jameson Williams and Detroit’s uber-talented offensive line — would allow the Lions to simply settle in on Goff (who just had his best year as a pro) for the next few seasons without hesitation.

The Lions turned a few heads in free agency by signing 25-year-old running back David Montgomery, formerly of the Bears. From a football standpoint only, this move makes a ton of sense. Montgomery is similar to Jamaal Williams in that he can run between the tackles and take punishment without wearing down — he’s also two years younger. The Lions clearly believe their locker room is stable enough to handle Williams’ departure. Montgomery will now be the team’s new thumper.

So, where would Robinson fit? As a long-term, home-run option right next to Montgomery. He fits because he’s a playmaker, arguably the best in this draft. This could mean D’Andre Swift, whose rookie deal ends after 2023, is the odd man out long-term. Last season, Football Outsiders ranked Detroit No. 7 in adjusted line yards (essentially, yards created by the offensive line) and No. 15 in second-level yards (yards the back creates 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage).

Reality is reality: Williams was as beloved as any Lion in recent memory and Swift has talent, but both left yards on the table last year. Campbell and offensive coordinator Ben Johnson run a matchup-based attack rooted in the run game. It’s not a system so much as it is a series of concepts designed to get the Lions’ best athlete(s) matched up against a defense’s weakest spot as many times as possible. Not unlike what Campbell helped Sean Payton run for many years in New Orleans, several with Alvin Kamara. Adding gas to the backfield would turn this offense from promising to scary. Detroit could also accomplish this by adding speed at tight end or wide receiver, perhaps in later rounds. Maybe they’ll look at someone like Tulane RB Tyjae Spears on day two.

But Robinson, in my opinion, is the best player among those options.

Dan Campbell’s Detroit Lions have two first-round picks this year. (Robert Deutsch / USA Today)

The Lions could consider Robinson should he drop to No. 18, or if they could move up after drafting defense at No. 6. Drafting another three-down offensive playmaker (which is how we should view Robinson) would allow Detroit to, more or less, close the book on the offensive foundation and shift all its focus to fine-tuning the defense in an effort to immediately seize control of a suddenly wide-open NFC North.

The Lions will have to invest in a bridge plan for Goff at some point, but if he continues to play anywhere near the level he showed in 2022, that bridge plan doesn’t have to happen for a while.

“I think,” Holmes said in January, “it’s a lot easier to get worse at quarterback than to get better at quarterback in this league.”

Drafting running backs in the first round is not a popular practice in today’s NFL. Selecting Sanders wasn’t a sure thing for the Lions in 1989, either. Detroit also liked Florida State cornerback Deion Sanders and Alabama pass rusher Derrick Thomas for the No. 3 pick. But after team personnel saw Sanders run a 4.39 40-yard dash at his pro day a few weeks before the draft, they were convinced they’d found their unicorn. The Lions have not been right about much historically. They were damn sure right about that one.

There’s another unicorn ball carrier lurking for Detroit in this draft. And if the Lions take a similar swing at Robinson, I don’t think they’ll be wrong about this one, either.

Because Bijan Robinson isn’t a luxury pick. He’s a foundational game-changer.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, cochamps said:

Pokes picked up Roland Jones yesterday, so Bijan is likely spared the Jerrah experience.  Just hoping he can avoid Dan Campbell (an aggy's aggy) at this point. 

Ronald Jones isnt fucking good at all. If Bijan falls to Dallas pick (he won’t) they’ll draft him.

3 hours ago, cochamps said:

Roland.  If Charlie says Roland, I’ll roll with Roland.

No matter how you spell his name, he still sucks.

averages less than 500 yards a season and 4.4 YPC. Completely underwhelming.

Edited by lilMAC25