Bijan Robinson is special

SDG

Gotta say beginning of the season he looked pretty underwhelming but I chocked that up 100% to garbage OL play, poor blocking. Last two games have been absurd. Agree with the AP analogy. Combination of power and speed, it just ain’t fair. He’s gonna be amazing. Just feed him the ball dummy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Am I the only one who's happy we didn't give him 20 carries in a meaningless game? Guy's still a true freshman, don't wear him down for no reason.

Also wonder if the timeshare was part of the pitch when recruiting him. Some RBs are more concerned about getting worn down. If so, glad we're honoring it.

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Am I the only one who's happy we didn't give him 20 carries in a meaningless game? Guy's still a true freshman, don't wear him down for no reason.

Also wonder if the timeshare was part of the pitch when recruiting him. Some RBs are more concerned about getting worn down. If so, glad we're honoring it.

I'm down with not over using talented RB, see Jonathan Gray.  But six carries on the way to a seven-point lead at half is ridiculous.

As subsequent events seem to have shown, three or four more carries or touches in the second quarter and he could have rested the second half.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm down with not over using talented RB, see Jonathan Gray.  But six carries on the way to a seven-point lead at half is ridiculous.

As subsequent events seem to have shown, three or four more carries or touches in the second quarter and he could have rested the second half.

In the last game of the season there is no need to worry about wearing a guy down. He should have had 20 carries this game without any hesitation. Our rotations at RB and WR have consistently been maddening under Herman.

27 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Probably.  He's going to finish somewhere around 12th-15th in the Big 12 in rushing attempts for the season pending other bowl games.

12 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Dude has to be the second best RB in the conference heading into next season, right? He's behind Hall, am I missing anyone else?

He’s the best and it’s not close. 

12 hours ago, pacman said:

The guy’s averaging 18 yards per carry and you give him 9.5 carries per game. Holy shit Herman is dumb. 

• Hook 'Em 1

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Tom Herman's offense. The use of Bijan Robinson is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of Keontay Ingram most of the plays will go over a typical fan's head. There's also Herman's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his failure to use the best player on his roster - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. Real Texas fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these plays, to realize that they're not just bad and ineffective- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Tom Herman truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humor in Herman's existential catchphrase "Winning is Really Hard" which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpleton fans scratching their heads in confusion as Tom Herman's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a MENSA tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Edited by touchthemonolith
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/29/2020 at 10:36 PM, Lhorn said:

Gotta say beginning of the season he looked pretty underwhelming but I chocked that up 100% to garbage OL play, poor blocking. Last two games have been absurd. Agree with the AP analogy. Combination of power and speed, it just ain’t fair. He’s gonna be amazing. Just feed him the ball dummy.

I'm still fucking buzzing about the way he finished the season and have been watching highlights to figure out his comp. I see where y'all are getting Peterson but while Bijan is plenty fast I don't think he has the top end that AD had. Peterson just didn't get caught in the NFL or college, even by guys with angles. In Bijan's favor, I think he's a more fluid route runner and pass catcher as a college freshman than Peterson ever was.

How about Nick Chubb? Plenty fast to pop off for long runs but not a speed guy, really fluid/natural runner and receiver at a similar size to Bijan. They both run right through arm tackles without slowing down.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, SDG said:

Some goodness from Joe Cook as usual. 

It doesn't paste as a tweet because its a chain of tweets breaking down with gifs of all the Bijan touches.  

https://twitter.com/i/events/1344697748067659779?s=21

Example play 1.

It's so fucking dumb how little we used motion this year.  All the best offenses in the NFL and college have learned that motion opens up the run game so much and yet we barely use it and instead just call inside zone over and over.  I was calling for more misdirection and counters all season, and we finally ran one against WVU and it popped for like 50 yards. I'm not sure I've seen it since.  I've also notice that Herman's leaked RBs tot eh backside for huge passes in every single bowl game he's been at Texas, yet we barely ever see it during the regular season. Makes no fucking sense.

I have no doubt that if Herman were to come back, we wouldn't see motion or counter again until we're eliminated from Big 12 title contention, but I'm sure he'd pull out a lot of it in the bowl game so he can become a 3x Alamo Bowl champion.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Bijan is his own beast and he's going to do great things here. His talent matches the expectations I had when we signed him.

Honestly, I think his talent has already surpassed expectations.  He's not just 5 star RB good, he's #1 player in the nation good. The only things I worried about with him were vision and ability to run hard between the tackles because he could just bounce everything outside in HS. Turns out he's great at both, he just didn't have to do it much in HS.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Honestly, I think his talent has already surpassed expectations.  He's not just 5 star RB good, he's #1 player in the nation good. The only things I worried about with him were vision and ability to run hard between the tackles because he could just bounce everything outside in HS. Turns out he's great at both, he just didn't have to do it much in HS.

Surpassed normal people's expectations. Matches my wild, delusional expectations.

• Hook 'Em 1

^^^ Amazing pic.  You know how there are a lot of those "TD" plays where the guy is falling and on review ends up short?  When I saw this play, I thought no way he got the ball across the line, but he did easily.  

My fear was that he looked so good in HS because he didn't play against the best competition.  Every thing you saw in HS is, he can do against college players.  Break tackles, break ankles, beat guys who have angles on him, pull away from DBs.  I pray the OL gels into a solid unit that can open creases for him and that OC has learned how to exploit his skills.  We were fortunate to sign this kid.  I didn't realize he had over 700 yards on the season and barely got used.  This guys would have gotten 1000 yards as a true freshman with pretty much any other HC in the nation.   

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 1

Bijan 2020 Season Stats

Carries: 26

Yards: 703

TDs: 48

High School/ College Combines Totals

Carries: 300

Yards: 23, 200

TDs: 530

He just loves to run. When he scores a touchdown, he turns around and challenges himself to run to the other end zone without being touched. He keeps running until he's worn out.

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2020 at 1:09 AM, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Dude has to be the second best RB in the conference heading into next season, right? He's behind Hall, am I missing anyone else?

Yes but wouldn't surprise me if Deuce Vaughn is gonna be preseason first team Big 12 because he’s tiny and has a lot of heart and yadda yadda

9 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I don't believe I suggested otherwise.

I'm a TO21 guy, but I suppose he probably needs to play a snap before he's anointed 

Bijan has played a few snaps when given the chance.  What are we even talking about here?  

I know I'm drunk but this comment in this thread does not compute.  

Just now, SDG said:

Bijan has played a few snaps when given the chance.  What are we even talking about here?  

I know I'm drunk but this comment in this thread does not compute.  

You are drunk. Bijan is the man and is now the face of the football team. Which is what I pointed out. As a throw away comment I said I'm a Troy Omeire guy, but he's probably going to have to actually play before he starts getting social media "face of the program" consideration

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Bijan Robinson is special