John Aune

Mark McBath

Randy McQuechern

Donnie Little

Rick McIvor

Robert Brewer

Peter Gardere

Todd Dodge

Wow I am impressed. But I bet you could also name the guys from Colt to present.

11 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Has there ever been an era of such forgettable QB in UT history since Colt has left?

6 hours ago, Bevo said:

Well, I am friends with Shannon Kelley and Peter Gardere so yeah.

QUICK: Name all of the UT QBs who have beaten OU 4 Times.

#unforgettable

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bevo said:

Oh, crap. My vote just moved poor Mike Cotton (whom I've never heard of) down to #25. 

James Brown above Chris Sims? 

Major Applewhite above James Street?

Come to think of it, should anyone except Vince be above James Street?  

Yeah Thompson wasn't tossing a lot in high school because he probably knew he could make more plays with his feet against inferior opponents. In the spring game with a very limited playbook, some of his throws looked like money...some not so much, but there's definitely room to work. I understand these are HIGHlights and not his bad plays, but cmon...Heard never threw with that kind of touch. 

P.S. Mack Brown doesn't like Kansas on Thanksgiving. 

5 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Yeah Thompson wasn't tossing a lot in high school because he probably knew he could make more plays with his feet against inferior opponents. In the spring game with a very limited playbook, some of his throws looked like money...some not so much, but there's definitely room to work. I understand these are HIGHlights and not his bad plays, but cmon...Heard never threw with that kind of touch. 

Heard should starts. 
VY should starts in Hamilton. 
Who would want to face 70,000 screaming Kansas fans at Thanksgiving?

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Oh, crap. My vote just moved poor Mike Cotton (whom I've never heard of) down to #25. 

James Brown above Chris Sims? 

Major Applewhite above James Street?

Come to think of it, should anyone except Vince be above James Street?  

Shea Morenz ahead of Chris Simms was my favorite. 

I'm not sure how you can even compare Applewhite and a wishbone quarterback. It's barely even the same position. 

• Like 1

UMD is up: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/20/17442996/maryland-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Despite injuries and coaching changes, Maryland’s record has been strangely stable.

• 2016-17: 10-15
  • 2014-15: 10-15
  • 2012-13: 11-14
  • 2010-11: 11-14
  • 2008-09: 10-15

The Terps go to a bowl about every other year, and if they peak a little too high one year (9-4 in 2010), they crash the next (2-10 in 2011). It’s an odd existence.

With two years of solid recruiting under his belt and two exciting QBs, can Durkin create a newexistence for the Terps? It’s hard to guarantee it, but there’s obvious potential.

Since S&P+ isn’t programmed to directly take injuries into account, it is predictably conservative here. Maryland is projected just 80th overall, with a likely 4-8 record.

Because of the QBs, I’m guessing something higher than that, but how high exactly? The receiving corps is still potentially iffy, and the defense still might not have the play-makers up front.

If the Terps can overachieve their projections by about a touchdown per game, they can threaten bowl eligibility.

But the schedule isn’t much more forgiving than last year’s, and they can’t waste opportunities. They can’t slip up against any of the schedule’s lesser teams (Bowling Green, Temple, Minnesota, Rutgers, Illinois), and they still have to pull an upset against a Texas or Indiana. But to be safe, let’s set the bar at five wins.

12 hours ago, Domedriver said:

Let’s see there was:

Derp the Videographer

Squints

Concuss

Diesiel

Glassboy

and Bam Bam

Bam Bam???  You must be young.  There was only one Bam Bam who played for Texas, and he didn't play QB...he crushed QBs, and RBs

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I had never head of him, so looked him up on Wiki. Not a stellar career. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donovan_Forbes

I have his autograph.  Fred Akers used to bring the players up to the upper deck on the west side for autographs during fall camp.  I should go on ebay and offer it for a reserve of __zero__ dollars and __zero__ cents.

4 hours ago, Eggo said:

I honestly have no clue where you're getting any of your info but you should probably start looking elsewhere. Thompson threw a ton in HS. He was in very advanced spread attacks and averaged over 300 pass attempts per year for 3 years on varsity. He's not some raw passer who ran a ton in HS. His dad played QB at OU, Casey got all the QB training in the world.  The fact that he had that much training and mechanics teaching and still isn't all that consistently accurate isn't great and it's part of the reason why his rating fell. He has not developed a ton as a QB since he was a sophomore. Now, he was at a very high level as a sophomore due to all that training, so he's not terrible, but painting him as this raw passer who has a ton of untapped development is completely inaccurate.  Rising is actually the guy who's really raw and hasn't received a ton of great coaching/training until now.  Casey's not far from being a good QB (and he's certainly far ahead of Jerrod as a QB) and if he can improve on his accuracy and ability to read defenses, then he can become a great college QB, but there's questions as to whether or not he can do that because he's had access to great teaching and training so far and those things haven't happened yet. Herman is a good QB developer, so I hope he can bring out some of the development needed in Casey's game but it's not a given at this point, and Beck has usually seen his QBs regress as passers over time, so I'd like to get a different OC in next year to help out Sam, Casey, and Cameron.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I honestly have no clue where you're getting any of your info but you should probably start looking elsewhere. Thompson threw a ton in HS. He was in very advanced spread attacks and averaged over 300 pass attempts per year for 3 years on varsity. He's not some raw passer who ran a ton in HS. His dad played QB at OU, Casey got all the QB training in the world.  The fact that he had that much training and mechanics teaching and still isn't all that consistently accurate isn't great and it's part of the reason why his rating fell. He has not developed a ton as a QB since he was a sophomore. Now, he was at a very high level as a sophomore due to all that training, so he's not terrible, but painting him as this raw passer who has a ton of untapped development is completely inaccurate.  Rising is actually the guy who's really raw and hasn't received a ton of great coaching/training until now.  Casey's not far from being a good QB (and he's certainly far ahead of Jerrod as a QB) and if he can improve on his accuracy and ability to read defenses, then he can become a great college QB, but there's questions as to whether or not he can do that because he's had access to great teaching and training so far and those things haven't happened yet. Herman is a good QB developer, so I hope he can bring out some of the development needed in Casey's game but it's not a given at this point, and Beck has usually seen his QBs regress as passers over time, so I'd like to get a different OC in next year to help out Sam, Casey, and Cameron.

How much QB training did he really get from his father though? OU was running the wishbone and I don't think Charles was putting up spread offense numbers through the air in his one season as a starter. When he came back to play in college he was a RB at some D2 school.

• Like 1

Just now, rickyspub said:

How much QB training did he really get from his father though? OU was running the wishbone and I don't think Charles was putting up spread offense numbers through the air in his one season as a starter. When he came back to play in college he was a RB at some D2 school.

It wasn’t directly from his father, but his father made sure he got a ton of training.  Casey went to a ton of camps his whole life, had personal trainers, advanced HS coaches, etc. plus, his older brother was a D1 QB, so he was getting training from a very, very young age.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sensitive Ponytail Man said:

I have his autograph.  Fred Akers used to bring the players up to the upper deck on the west side for autographs during fall camp.  I should go on ebay and offer it for a reserve of __zero__ dollars and __zero__ cents.

A little while back I found video I took of this in, I think, 1989. McWilliams made some opening comments, and then it was autograph time. It's full of somewhat normal sized white guys.

3 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Calm down. I was responding to @TreatyOak's assertion that Thompson was unsure of his throwing in HS. I'm saying it's pretty hard to judge based on lesser competition. All this being said, we're talking about long term, overall career success, and I still think he can become the better of the two in college. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Calm down. I was responding to @TreatyOak's assertion that Thompson was unsure of his throwing in HS. I'm saying it's pretty hard to judge based on lesser competition. All this being said, we're talking about long term, overall career success, and I still think he can become the better of the two in college. 

I may also be guilty of bias. Watching Thompson, I assumed he was a prototypical dual-threat QB, whereas Rising seems more a like a traditional pocket QB and that Rising is a better pure passer. As Lawnghorn stated, it's too early to judge either but it sure makes the off-season a whole lot more bearable.  

3 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

It wasn’t directly from his father, but his father made sure he got a ton of training.  Casey went to a ton of camps his whole life, had personal trainers, advanced HS coaches, etc. plus, his older brother was a D1 QB, so he was getting training from a very, very young age.

Good points. I know he was big on the 7 v 7 circuit. Was his HS coaching all that good though? I thought his teams were all pretty mediocre during his HS career.

22 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Remember when Shane Buchele was a very highly ranked dual-threat QB? 

Remember when Shane Buchele broke Colt Mccoy's school record for most passing yards by a freshman with 2,958 passing yards and 21 passing touchdowns? I member.

Edited by Gigglebush
  • Like 1

I have seen almost everyone of those QBs most in person but some only on TV, but I watched and I have to say that I loved them all.  

To be the Quarterback for the Texas Fucking Longhorns is a great thing and you each put your mark in the book and we do remember.

Most of all we wish you to win.  Keep your Horns UP and FUCKING WIN!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

At least Thompson is a great athlete and Rising has a really good to great arm. 

Can we split them up and attach all the pieces that are the best into one quarterback? Also opens up a scholly.  It/He could split weekends with the two sets of parents.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Gardere was my hero when I was a kid. Won the first 4 TX-OU games I ever watched plus my dad played qb for Lee about a dozen years before Gardere did and always pushed his greatness on us

You make me feel old.

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

Gardere was my hero when I was a kid. Won the first 4 TX-OU games I ever watched plus my dad played qb for Lee about a dozen years before Gardere did and always pushed his greatness on us

He was good friends with one of my best friend's older brother's, and played with him at Lee.  Always was proud to have had that connection, even though it would be a few years before I'd be at Texas.

Well I double posted on RBs, talk to me about or RBs.  What do we have in house, young, or transfer.  We have to run.

Run baby run!

As an oldster Texas is RBU, not DBU as much as I love our sterling DBs.  I have Jim Bertlsen’s signed hat, have shook Earls hand at McBrides when he was being fitted for custom shotguns and bought Ricky beers in Odessa when he was driving his first Ferrari to San Diego at a hotel bar in Odessa after his first contract with the Saints.  I flew to his games in NO and saw Ditka flip off fans after he lost to the Browns.  I want a back that you would give a whole draft for!

Texaa to me is about who carries the ball, not who catches nor who throws.  Texas is about great running backs!

Run it down their throats football.

And as a historical note, the backyard that Edwin Simmons was found naked was 2 blocks from where I grew up.  I loved is up right running style. Too bad about his knees.  And his TD kickoff return was God like.  Simply jaw dropping to see in person.

Edited by Domedriver

1 hour ago, Thetexashammer said:

In 1991 We defeated OU 10-7. The only TD was a fumble return. I never thought of Gardere as a hero, or anything besides extremely lucky. 

Bubba Jacques?

I'll say it again,  4-0 and hopefully hasn't had to pay for a beer since. Chris Simms could have been the golden boy but he would never be appreciated like gardere simply because of 4-0.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

In 1991 We defeated OU 10-7. The only TD was a fumble return. I never thought of Gardere as a hero, or anything besides extremely lucky. 

Don't overthink it, don't analyze it, and whatever you do, don't downgrade it. It's 4-and-fuckin'-0 and over O-fuckin-U. He's a fuckin' hero and that's all you need to know.

• Like 7