Mmm hmm, reckon you make me some biscuits?

deadshank

I’ve been married to my bride for 39 years. We had pretty much a whirlwind romance and folks ask sometimes how did I know she was the one.

We were in bed and she said “if you have the makings I can make some biscuits”. What kind I asked. “Sweet milk or buttermilk?”. That was the moment that pushed me over the edge.

Of course I haven’t had a batch of scratch biscuits in about 35 years. At least from her. I make a jalapeño cheddar batch occassionally. The key is freeze your butter and grate it.

Shitcan those refrigerated biscuits and buy the Pillsbury frozen buttermilk or southern style biscuits. They are far better than the canned ones and don’t have that odd taste.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 7 months later...
On 1/15/2022 at 10:52 AM, dcbc said:

Made the recipe from the Food Lab cookbook this morning. Did not disappoint.a5ab3b434e3d7a322a21f981c3648b01.jpg

I’m just discovering this guy and feel I need to get this book. Just made these (with eggs, no gravy as I had no sausage on hand) and they were incredibly easy and legit 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 2

On 11/14/2020 at 5:17 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Whipped Pure Lard/Manteca is the correct answer.

image.gif.182a8d1d3333545dfe733ceed2661b2a.gif

I use half unsalted butter and half crisco for the fats. The key to good biscuits is cut your fats into small cubes and put in freezer for 5 minutes so they don’t melt when you work them in to the dry ingredients. And if you don’t have buttermilk you can add a tablespoon of white vinegar per cup of milk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/5/2022 at 7:48 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

There is a reason that I have a couple of jars of bacon squeezings in my fridge and freezer!

This gave me pause. I have been married a looong time and we have always had a Folgers can of bacon drippings in the fridge. It gets topped off and refreshed constantly. I'm pretty certain that the lower half of that can is over 20 years old. We need to do a can cleanse and start over, I suppose, but it hasn't killed us yet.

On 11/14/2021 at 2:58 PM, next2naus said:

I'm going to experiment this week with Beyond Meat Breakfast Sausage to make Biscuits and Gravy. I know, I know, I know. I hav to find some alternatives that are lower in cholesterol and fat than the way it should be made. 

Hopefully, you haven't had a heart attack from all the saturated fat in Beyond meat. It's worse than actual beef from a heart health perspective. For an excellent breakfast sausage substitute, Costco sells chicken breakfast sausage links with just 1 gram of saturated fat per serving.  It is indistinguishable from pork sausage. So much so, that I worry the nutrition guidelines are a complete lie.  They're in a yellow and white bag in the frozen section. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Hopefully, you haven't had a heart attack from all the saturated fat in Beyond meat. It's worse than actual beef from a heart health perspective. For an excellent breakfast sausage substitute, Costco sells chicken breakfast sausage links with just 1 gram of saturated fat per serving.  It is indistinguishable from pork sausage. So much so, that I worry the nutrition guidelines are a complete lie.  They're in a yellow and white bag in the frozen section. 

the taste and consistency were terrible on the Beyond product

On 11/8/2022 at 7:51 AM, CooterBrown said:

+1; it really is damn tasty.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Made some buttermilk biscuits this morning. Used lard instead of butter, best biscuits I’ve ever made. Wasn’t sure on how they would turn out so I only made a half batch, wished I would of made a whole batch. Put some apple butter on em and they were great, plain biscuit with a pat of butter is still the best biscuit.

image.thumb.jpeg.08862ca98fb6304538deb099cd8444ec.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2