Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This.

But you know, thank goodness some very smart brained people voted for Ralph Nader in 2000 and Gary Johnson/Jill Stein/stayed home in 2016.  Imagine the horrors if Al Gore and Hillary were elected.

No Iraq/Afghanistan
No Roberts/Alito/Kavanaugh/Gorsuch/ACB

Yep. That’s a helluva bitter pill…

44 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Since I just gave someone a hard time about getting one side of the argument wrong, as strongly as I'm pro-choice, I think the clever tweets that try to equate link mask liberty and abortion liberty reflect exactly why the Dems aren't going to win back Texas.  And that's even taking into consideration that not wearing a mask may indeed kill someone.

Need to take each issue on its own merits to maintain credibility. I

the mask tweets started out as anti-maskers/anti-choicers trying to paint pro-choicers as hypocrites

5 hours ago, hpslugga said:

Look, we know what this is. They're trying to do a pseudo end-run of Roe by not categorically banning all abortions by adding these ridiculous qualifiers into these laws. That's what these cocksuckers do: they try to find loopholes and they fuck them to death.

And we know why they do it too. They know full well that outlawing abortion isn't going to make it go away. In fact, that's the exact same argument they give against gun control; that if you pass such restrictive laws, it won't get rid of guns completely. But what they also know is that abortion restrictions overwhelmingly are targeted against people not in a position of financial security. It's easy for some rich blonde cunt in Plano to get an abortion even if it's illegal in Texas. If she can't get it in Texas, she'll just have her husband fly her out to some blue state where it'll get done. Financially insecure people don't have that. So what you'll have is a bunch of lower-middle to lower class women getting pregnant, either trying unsafe techniques/methods for aborting the child or having the child born into a home that never really wanted it and not having any means to support it.

"Oh but that's ok because they'll have medicaid, food stamps, welfare, etc." Not if GQP's get their way. They're dead set against those things for reasons that have nothing to do with what they say they do. They say it's for budgetary concerns, but it's hard to save dollars when you're only looking where mere pennies are spent and ignoring where the actual dollars are spent.

"Oh but that's ok because they can opt to give up the child for adoption." They can, but that's still a burden on the biological mother especially if she's on her own. And that's in a country where 84% of the states do not have paid maternity leave. And they will still have to take leave unless we're saying it's socially acceptable to expect a women to work until the minute she goes into labor, has the child, and comes back all in the same fucking work day window. Think that's an exaggeration? Nearly 60% of Americans say they live "paycheck to paycheck." Think they can miss a day of work in the 42 states that have no paid maternity leave? Oh and are you ("you" being a fanatic clown of the religious right) going to be the one to adopt it?

"Oh but she can just apply for unemployment if she loses her job." Again, not if the GQP has its way.

"Oh but that's ok because the child will at least be educated in our guaranteed public education system." Yes, and what a wonderful system it is! It's the same system that teaches Abstinence Only education in the states that have the highest rates of teen pregnancy, repeat teen pregnancy, and abortion! Just think of the multiple generations of unwanted children, one after the other!

This is the colossal failure that the teachings and policies of the religious right have always been.

If they were really concerned about abortion:

-They would support sex education being taught in public schools
-They would know that abortion accounts for a small fraction of the services that organizations like Planned Parenthood provide and would therefore actively support their existence. They would also support the idea that those organizations be publicly financed to the point where they can have free contraceptives.
-They would support adequate public education
-They would support legislating a living wage into existence
-They would support universal healthcare

...you know, shit that other first world countries have.

When people are willing to concede those points, I'll be glad to hear what they have to say about abortion. But if one is a sick lunatic that envisions a society in which abortion is illegal, medicaid/welfare/food stamps don't exist, public education is a total failure, et al, I have no desire to speak with one about this topic because such a person's thinking is so narrow as to only be summarized as a regurgitation of assumed teachings in primitive religious texts. Those minds are worth less than the dust I just cleared off of my coffee table.

EDIT: I know full well nothing I said above is brand new information to people who know their ass from a hole in the ground, but it nonetheless bears repeating to remind everyone of how twisted, perverted and depraved the minds of the so-called "Pro Life" contingency really are.

One day it will dawn on them that those brown and black babies are going to vote their ass out.  By then it will be too late.  Damn shame.  
Hell ‘voting out’ is getting off easy.  By then we may be dusting off the guillotine.  

41 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

When it comes to making laws, we should probably stop listening to people who base policy on mythology.

This sort of response, and the celebration of it, is part of the problem IMO and highlights exactly what I meant— what is mythology and what is principled belief and what is truth and where does those intersect and what role does science and faith, and that unique intersection, play?

These are fundamentally apolitical questions and issues, which get abstracted and made into ugly, imperfect laws depending on the issue and where you stand.

• Fuck You 4

39 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

This sort of response, and the celebration of it, is part of the problem IMO and highlights exactly what I meant— what is mythology and what is principled belief and what is truth and where does those intersect and what role does science and faith, and that unique intersection, play?

These are fundamentally apolitical questions and issues, which get abstracted and made into ugly, imperfect laws depending on the issue and where you stand.

Belief in a higher power is mythology.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

One day it will dawn on them that those brown and black babies are going to vote their ass out.  By then it will be too late.  Damn shame.  
Hell ‘voting out’ is getting off easy.  By then we may be dusting off the guillotine.  

The US will be a fascist state by then….what votes?

14 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

That's bullshit liberal spin and you know it.  Jesus spoke at great length about the immorality of abortion and saving the unborn.  Christ was very clear about later term abortions as well citing that once the fetal heartbeat was detectable, abortion became an unconscionable sin.  According to the apostle Paul, it was Junia---a sonogram technician, who first alerts Jesus to the ability to hear the fetal heartbeat at just 4 weeks. 

From then, we see a marked shift in his ministry---it goes from carpentry, preaching love, and performing miracles to primarily abortion protests.  Saint Peter shifts his apostolic duties to one of Legislative Liaison within the Nazareth districts.  The bills they worked on regarding abortion regulation are there for scholars to study, it's a shame more Texans don't take a deep dive into this fascinating third testament of the bible.  

40 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Abortion wasn't even an Evangelical issue until the 1980 Presidential election. That was always a Catholic issue but not an Evangelical one until it was created as a political weapon.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, F250 said:

Abortion wasn't even an Evangelical issue until the 1980 Presidential election. That was always a Catholic issue but not an Evangelical one until it was created as a political weapon.

Fuck Ronnie. I hope Satan is buttfucking his corpse in hell 

With no protection. Ronnie deserves devil AIDS

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Jhawkmvp said:

Damn. Who knew GRR Martin is actually Ted fucking Cruz? No wonder he writes at a snail's pace. He's not lazy, he is just too busy being an asshole in the U.S. Senate and licking Trump's taint.

Now I can't unsee it.

• Hook 'Em 1

So let me see if I have this correctly. No one has to actually witness the abortion. Any random person who heard that somebody else got an abortion after the deadline can file suit against the provider? This is the fucking Salem witch trials

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Put it on the ballot, if you have a penis you don’t get to vote, and settle it.

Oh god, don't let them talk about their next favorite topic: how genders no longer exist, and liberals say we can identify as whatever we want.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Oh god, don't let them talk about their next favorite topic: how genders no longer exist, and liberals say we can identify as whatever we want.

Perhaps I didn’t think that through.  It would amuse me to some degree if a bunch of Trumpkin males decided to self-identify as female in order to vote on that.

12 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

So let me see if I have this correctly. No one has to actually witness the abortion. Any random person who heard that somebody else got an abortion after the deadline can file suit against the provider? This is the fucking Salem witch trials

I can see it now. Spurned boyfriend accuses former girlfriend of getting an abortion and she gets to pay for the privilege to prove him wrong.

While they’re at it, they should resurrect the policy requiring husbands to co-sign a wife’s right to obtain a credit card in her name.

• Rage+1 2

Here's a spin I hadn't seen yet.  Might be a bit far fetched, but it seems plausible under this law.

RE: Strategy to combat Texas Senate Bill 8, 2021.

To Whom It May Concern:

To be as concise as possible, I will separate this message into three parts. The first details some of the consequences of Senate Bill 8 which went into effect September 1, 2021. The second conveys a method of combating this bill on a public level, and the third section states the advantages of this method.

SB8: CONSEQUENCES

The virtual outlawing of abortion in Texas as a result of SB8 is obvious. Less understood to the general public, however, are the effects of the civil action as laid out in Section 171.208. Relevant components are as follows:

Ø  No provisions are made for pregnancy termination in the instance of rape;

Ø  “Aiding and abetting” pregnancy termination can include private action against the woman getting the abortion;

Ø  Anyone with knowledge of the pregnancy termination may file civil action;

Ø  The burden of proof is on the defendant; and

Ø  Even if the defendant wins in court, they cannot recoup court costs.

As a result, the following is a possible scenario: a man may rape a woman, and if she terminates the pregnancy after six weeks or when a heartbeat is detected, he may file civil action against her for a minimum of $10,000…as late as four years after the felony.

SB8: COMBATING

Given the scenario above, Senate Bill 8 can realistically be described as “protection for rapists”. This is a harsh, triggering term, but when one reads the full text of Senate Bill 8 and its inherent cruelty, it becomes clear that one must respond with shocking – but fully realistic – terms. Re-framing the discussion of SB8 is of utmost importance. People may find Biblical passages that give them motivation against pregnancy termination, or may have strong personal beliefs that give them a pro-life view. However, no religious organization, social group, or clear-thinking person wants to be on the side of protecting rapists – and on a factual basis, it appears Senate Bill 8 does exactly that.

SB8: ADVANTAGES OF RE-FRAMING

Merely pointing out the hubris of the Texas conservative party at the present time will not generate a swing sufficient to tip the balance on this issue. What must be illuminated is the combination of hubris and pure incompetence. By rushing to punish abortion clinics, the authors and co-signers of Senate Bill 8 have made it possible for violent felons to punish their victims. This is a message with depth and weight. Instead of Senate Bill 8 being viewed as “anti-abortion”, it should be repeatedly referred to as “rapist protection”. This puts proponents on the defensive and opens up an avenue for counter-legislation to happen much more quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Belief in science is oxymoronic.

Science is a discipline and the Scientific method is a process. The findings of science at any point in time can be either rejected or accepted. The extrapolated “knowledge”— the theoretical and they hypothetical knowledge (read: not empirical) based upon accepted findings— is absolutely belief. That’s my point.

Just like the idea that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic or whatever that famous quote is, once you get to the limit of human understanding and empirical knowledge, it’s all conjecture, faith and belief.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 2