Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

I get that Dems are weak on messaging, and feel fundamentally their inability to be in complete lockstep is a reflection of their more open and diverse party as a whole…but I don’t get people flaying them for not passing laws when they have Sinema/Manchin hindering their ability to even get 50 senate votes in a filibuster world where the senate can block essentially anything getting done. 

It suits the Rs who can just bang their obstructionist drums all day and crow about high gas prices.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

How else do you think “common good” constitutional government will come to fruition. The new right has contempt for what y’all want - majoritarian rule

Yeah, we gathered that. I hope you get your Mussolini, and what came next for him and his supporters:

Did the Brutal Death of Mussolini Contribute to Hitler's Suicide? – Foreign  Policy

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Hell, at least Icono is honest (about the GOP's plan to sabotage Congress and empower the courts as unaccountable tribunals to enact conservative policies, not about who he is).

Icono is a fucking idiot, Texans homer and Cougar High fan. I’m none of the those things. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, we gathered that. I hope you get your Mussolini, and what came next for him and his supporters:

Did the Brutal Death of Mussolini Contribute to Hitler's Suicide? – Foreign  Policy

That end result required an Allied invasion of Italy. Are you saying that it will take a military occupation to turn the tide? A neo-Reconstruction. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

No. We've got plenty of guns ourselves.

Too bad there aren’t neat and tidy sides to join and fight for. Lots of purple and and blue in red states. It would be more like the Lebanese civil war if it ever came it it here. Complete destruction and neighbors fighting neighbors.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Too bad there aren’t neat and tidy sides to join and fight for. Lots of purple and and blue in red states. It would be more like the Lebanese civil war if it ever came it it here. Complete destruction and neighbors fighting neighbors.  

All in your gods plan, right? You must be giddy at the prospects. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

The anti-choice movement got what it wanted via a decades long campaign of terrorism. Maybe it'll work for pro-choice activists too.

anyways...i need a few months to get a home and get settled...but after that i fully plan to be a way station on the Colorado underground railroad for women who can't catch a fucking break in this country...hit me up if needed, i'll be easy to find on surly...

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/05/1091041608/colorado-abortion-law?fbclid=IwAR27kclYjklQMxsW1L1ik2cUGLeQCdNk3tjWOzhrLT97uZ0OMJ8j2ZBjrD0

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, RexWilson said:

So with moment of fertilization being the trigger, how does this affect IFV and contraception in Texas?

• can frozen embryos no longer be destroyed? Stored in perpetuity?
  • aren't there contraptions that create an unhabitable environment for a just fertilized egg?
Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

For those celebrating on this site, all women in the United States are now less free than they were this morning.  Let that fucking sink in.  That is fucking insane.  Not that those that cheer this on this site give a rats ass since they generally hate women.

You may be missing the point on this one. That is exactly what they're cheering about. They're coming for gays and queers next. Anything that results in straight, white, Christian males to hold on to power is the goal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

They’re gone. May take a minute to formalize it, but they’re gone. The pill will absolutely be banned.

Haven’t read it yet, but how does a law that bans abortion at the moment of fertilization mean that contraception will be prohibited? Or are you just assuming there will be additional laws for that? As much as I hate all of this, I still don’t think anyone will directly outlaw contraception (at least not intentionally).

Haven’t read it yet, but how does a law that bans abortion at the moment of fertilization mean that contraception will be prohibited? Or are you just assuming there will be additional laws for that? As much as I hate all of this, I still don’t think anyone will directly outlaw contraception (at least not intentionally).

Bet you also didn’t think they’d actually make abortion illegal.

Listen to those of us predicting the worst. We’ve been right.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They’re gone. May take a minute to formalize it, but they’re gone. The pill will absolutely be banned.

Jesus dude, back away from the ledge.  They aren't going to ban contraception.  Man, I would hate to walk a mile in your head sometimes.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yep Texas will outlaw condoms and the pill next.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There's over a million-and-a-half college students in Texas, not to mention the millions of high school kids and 20-somethings on either side of college.  Banning the pill, condoms, etc., is a fantastic way to get them out to the polls for Democrats in November.

Republicans doing very public victory laps is going to energize a lot of folks, and a lot of women in Texas.

A part of me hopes they try and ban contraception, because that alone would get a shitload of women out to the polls.

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

Jesus dude, back away from the ledge.  They aren't going to ban contraception.  Man, I would hate to walk a mile in your head sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Bet you also didn’t think they’d actually make abortion illegal.

Listen to those of us predicting the worst. We’ve been right.

S

Just now, Sbbruin said:

So are you just ignoring Thomas specifically stating in writing that he thought the case that allows that, the case against same sex relationships, and the case against same sex marriage be the next things revisited?

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

Most contraceptives work by stopping ovulation or fertilization.  Even Plan B.

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

Thank you.  Abortion is a great way to get Republicans out to vote, but there is a very fine line between motivating the GOP to get out to vote, and motivating the Democrats to get out and vote and potentially get moderates in the GOP as well as independents to vote for the the Dems.

Republicans got a victory, but they could very well lose when all is said and done.  And there's enough dumbass Republicans who will try to do things like ban contraception, keep up the victory laps, etc. who could very well tip several states to the Dems.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Thank you.  Abortion is a great way to get Republicans out to vote, but there is a very fine line between motivating the GOP to get out to vote, and motivating the Democrats to get out and vote and potentially get moderates in the GOP as well as independents to vote for the the Dems.

Republicans got a victory, but they could very well lose when all is said and done.  And there's enough dumbass Republicans who will try to do things like ban contraception, keep up the victory laps, etc. who could very well tip several states to the Dems.

It's always weird when you do this naive optimistic pollyanna bit

• Like 1