Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

7 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Good fucking gotdamn.

You “tHeyLL nEVeR BaN coNTrAcEptioN” men are EXACTLY why we are where we are why Democrats are too scared to actually fight and do something.

Because when we TELL you what’s coming - you call us out as hysterical, overreacting, and emotional.

And the Democrats are catering TO YOU because they’re afraid too lose your vote by “going too far”.

JUST SHUT UP AND FOLLOW OUR LEAD AND FUCKING LISTEN TO US.

We’ve been telling you. And we’re telling you again where this is heading AND YOURE STILL TELLING US “no wai”.

God.

"Surely the 150th time I do my Animal House 'ALL IS WELL' impression I'll finally be correct!"

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Who says the Democrats aren’t doing anything to fight back? 

I know this is your schtick, but the House, led by evil lib Nancy Pelosi, passed an abortions right bill in September 2021. 

I guess they should go pass another super serious one for the Senate to filibuster and kill so you feel like they did something they've already done.  Go redirect your anger at those pussies Manchin, Sinema and Susan Collins. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Haven’t read it yet, but how does a law that bans abortion at the moment of fertilization mean that contraception will be prohibited? Or are you just assuming there will be additional laws for that? As much as I hate all of this, I still don’t think anyone will directly outlaw contraception (at least not intentionally).

The Supreme Court is dominated by conservative Catholics. You think contraception isn’t on the chopping block? Hell, Rush Limbaugh labeled any woman who uses contraception as “a slut.”

For those celebrating on this site, all women in the United States are now less free than they were this morning.  Let that fucking sink in.  That is fucking insane.  Not that those that cheer this on this site give a rats ass since they generally hate women.

Nothing should come between a woman and her doctor unless it's a Christian fascist.

34 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Bet you also didn’t think they’d actually make abortion illegal.

Listen to those of us predicting the worst. We’ve been right.

Pessimism has been a winning bet for awhile now. At some point TwiceHorn will come around.

27 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Don't want to hear a word about welfare from people against abortion. Gonna be more poor single women needing help.

Crime will go up in 15-20 years as more unwanted children are being born. 

If you're a fan of Freakanomics you may recall Levitt's paper about abortion access and the tie in with falling rates of violent crime in the 1990's.

https://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levitt/Papers/DonohueLevittTheImpactOfLegalized2001.pdf

We'll all need more concealed weapons to protect ourselves in about 20 years.  'merica!

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

*GOP dragging Sbbruin and atomheartbevo to gas chambers* "They're not going to kill us, that could backfire on them electorally!"

Just now, Captainant said:

It's always weird when you do this naive optimistic pollyanna bit

For nearly 50 years, the GOP ran on the idea of overturning Roe v Wade.  It was a great talking point to get single-issue voters to vote/contribute, and Democrats weren't really able to capitalize on it simply because it was a hypothetical.

Now it's no longer a hypothetical, and some of the nutters are pushing bans on contraception, gay marriage, etc.  Republican politicians will have to run with it on their record,, and all Republicans will have to defend the nutters pushing contraception bans, etc. as well.

This all sucks, but if this doesn't get more Democrats, independents, moderates, women, parents, etc. off their asses and to the polls, nothing will.  The campaign ads are writing themselves.

43 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

That act is almost certainly illegal and ultra vires (beyond his authority) -- only the Legislature has the authority to create official state holidays, which in practice, is exactly what he has done here.  Of course, you can't enforce that after the fact, so he'll get away with this one.

33 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Haven’t read it yet, but how does a law that bans abortion at the moment of fertilization mean that contraception will be prohibited? Or are you just assuming there will be additional laws for that? As much as I hate all of this, I still don’t think anyone will directly outlaw contraception (at least not intentionally).

30 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Jesus dude, back away from the ledge.  They aren't going to ban contraception.  Man, I would hate to walk a mile in your head sometimes.

See below:

28 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

So are you just ignoring Thomas specifically stating in writing that he thought the case that allows that, the case against same sex relationships, and the case against same sex marriage be the next things revisited?

We don't have to imagine a single thing, or create anything "in our head."  They have already told us what they intend to do.  It's exactly what they have done before (Griswold voided an actual law that actually existed that actually banned contraception).  Lawrence overturned an actual law that actually criminalized gay sex.  Obergefell overtuned an actual law that actually prohibited same-sex marriage.  They are coming for all of these things -- they have TOLD US THEY ARE.

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Thank you.  Abortion is a great way to get Republicans out to vote, but there is a very fine line between motivating the GOP to get out to vote, and motivating the Democrats to get out and vote and potentially get moderates in the GOP as well as independents to vote for the the Dems.

Republicans got a victory, but they could very well lose when all is said and done.  And there's enough dumbass Republicans who will try to do things like ban contraception, keep up the victory laps, etc. who could very well tip several states to the Dems.

Oppression by those drunk on power - which is 100% what we are watching unfold - only goes in one direction -- MORE.  There is not a single gram of "we've accomplished what we need to, now let's chill" in the GQP.  These issues are not about life.  They are about power, and pure control by the dominant class grinding everyone it sees as lesser under its heel to remind them of where they belong.

Stop viewing any of the actions of the GQP, the Senate, or the SCOTUS through the lens of the rule of law and institutions.  Those concepts have no place here.  View their actions only through the lens that is actually in place: what would a theocratic oligarchy of the minority impose on all who dare oppose them?  You will then predict the actions of those entities with near 100% accuracy.  When you understand that an autocratic oligarchy, much like what we see in Russia, is their goal, it all fits.  The people need to know that their mere existence is at the whim of their masters, they are brought to heel, and are fully controlled.

Read.  A goddamn.  History book.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

This.  I had a text first thing from the DNC to ask for $15 this morning.  

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

Too bad there aren’t neat and tidy sides to join and fight for. Lots of purple and and blue in red states. It would be more like the Lebanese civil war if it ever came it it here. Complete destruction and neighbors fighting neighbors.  

Oh that civil war is coming.  You guys have been pushing for it for decades now.  Gonna take all those beautiful 2A weapons and clean the welfare queen trash out of this country and take out the 'queers" as good measure.  Put women back in their place, barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen.    Oh it's coming.  Dominionism.  But I don't think all your compatriots will have the stomach for it.  They actually have shit to lose...those they have worked so hard to impoverish, whose backs they have enriched themselves off of for years have little to lose.   And every kitchen and bedroom in this grand new republic you are working to build will know there are better ways to live, that they aren't chattel or second class citizens.  Who will you be able to trust?   Nah, it will be a short lived revolution.  Probably bloody for a while, but it will end like the last civil war here, with the greedy selfish fucks losing.

Hubris will be your downfall.

40 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yep Texas will outlaw condoms and the pill next.

If the Dems were any good at messaging, this would be on the ground now.  Predict that future.  Raise that alarm.   Even if there's no basis to the rumor, just use it to wake up voters.

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

"Surely the 150th time I do my Animal House 'ALL IS WELL' impression I'll finally be correct!"

See the thing is, Kevin Bacon got flattened in that scene after saying that shit a couple times and he shut the fuck up after that. These naive morons keep saying “all is well” even when you need a spatula to pry them off the pavement. It’s like “all is well” had a bastard child with “‘tis but a scratch!!!”

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

For nearly 50 years, the GOP ran on the idea of overturning Roe v Wade.  It was a great talking point to get single-issue voters to vote/contribute, and Democrats weren't really able to capitalize on it simply because it was a hypothetical.

Now it's no longer a hypothetical, and some of the nutters are pushing bans on contraception, gay marriage, etc.  Republican politicians will have to run with it on their record,, and all Republicans will have to defend the nutters pushing contraception bans, etc. as well.

This all sucks, but if this doesn't get more Democrats, independents, moderates, women, parents, etc. off their asses and to the polls, nothing will.  The campaign ads are writing themselves.

How hard is it for them to say Republicans want to make a 12 year old rape victim have a baby?

You may not have noticed but voting has been restricted and gerrymandered to hell. It won’t make a shit how many people get out to vote. It’s all fucked

3 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Oh that civil war is coming.  You guys have been pushing for it for decades now.  Gonna take all those beautiful 2A weapons and clean the welfare queen trash out of this country and take out the 'queers" as good measure.  Put women back in their place, barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen.    Oh it's coming.  Dominionism.  But I don't think all your compatriots will have the stomach for it.  They actually have shit to lose...those they have worked so hard to impoverish, whose backs they have enriched themselves off of for years have little to lose.   And every kitchen and bedroom in this grand new republic you are working to build will know there are better ways to live, that they aren't chattel or second class citizens.  Who will you be able to trust?   Nah, it will be a short lived revolution.  Probably bloody for a while, but it will end like the last civil war here, with the greedy selfish fucks losing.

Hubris will be your downfall.

This too.

The odds are, when it's all over and the dust settles, the cruel fuckers will have lost.  This is what they so, so, so want.  But dear God, the cost....

thanos-infinity-war.gif

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

How hard is it for them to say Republicans want to make a 12 year old rape victim have a baby?

Not hard at all.  Same with banning contraception.  "Parents, Republicans want your kids to get pregnant/get somebody pregnant"

3 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

You may not have noticed but voting has been restricted and gerrymandered to hell. It won’t make a shit how many people get out to vote. It’s all fucked

There's a whole lot of white people who are not happy with this, not happy with the idea of banning contraception, etc. so good luck denying them the vote.

3 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Dick’s stepping up. 

Cue allegations by GQP that women are getting pregnant on purpose just so they can take an abortion vacation.

What states like Texas are actually going to do, and the lower hanging fruit for the Paxtons of the world, is make it a felony for a Texas resident to travel to NY or IL to have an abortion.  Commerce clause be damned.  They will also probably have warrants out for doctors in states where abortion is legal.  It's all on the table.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

If abortion was as important to Americans as Republicans make it out to be, Republican Presidents and a Republican-led Congress would have acted on it years, even decades ago, when they had the opportunity.  Instead, it was a fund-raising gimmick. Now it's no longer a hypothetical or gimmick, and they have to defend it and run on that record.

1 minute ago, A-Tex Devil said:

What states like Texas are actually going to do, and the lower hanging fruit for the Paxtons of the world, is make it a felony for a Texas resident to travel to NY or IL to have an abortion.  Commerce clause be damned.  They will also probably have warrants out for doctors in states where abortion is legal.  It's all on the table.

That is a guaranteed play.  Again, they've already told us they intend to run it.

When an arrogant evil bastard tells you exactly what he is, you should believe him.

• Hook 'Em 1

If the Dems were any good at messaging, this would be on the ground now.  Predict that future.  Raise that alarm.   Even if there's no basis to the rumor, just use it to wake up voters.

Isn’t that exactly what the Rs are doing with gun control? Any gun control legislation means they will next take all your guns.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Also, really super pumped to get to have this conversation with my daughter:

"There won't be a war.  I hope."

"It will be localized and sectarian, and there will be outbreaks of real violence."

"I hope not."

"Me too.   I just want what's best for you and your brother."

"We have what's best.  We left."

"I wish it wasn't that way."

In spirit, at least, my children are refugees of a shithole country.  I wish it were not the case, but it is.

She followed with this:

"We're privileged.  So privileged to have that option.  But this was never about people like us.  If I needed an abortion, we have the resources to send me somewhere where it's legal.  It's about women and families who don't have that privilege and luxury.  It's about crushing the lower classes and keeping them in cyclical poverty."

I hate the leadership of this country.  I hate the people who celebrate oppression and cruelty.  I have given in to hate, fully and completely - there is no other rational response.  They want the worst.  They want blood, they want pain.  They literally rejoice in the pain and sadness of others (plenty of "cry more, libs!" going around).  I pray that there actually is a God who will  grant them what they wish for.....and that it be visited upon them.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

If abortion was as important to Americans as Republicans make it out to be, Republican Presidents and a Republican-led Congress would have acted on it years, even decades ago, when they had the opportunity.  Instead, it was a fund-raising gimmick. Now it's no longer a hypothetical or gimmick, and they have to defend it and run on that record.

Time will tell but don’t be surprised if in the long run it serves as a “dog finally caught the car and he didn’t know what to do with it” moment. Not at all predicting that, but at the same time, if it turns out that way, I will say “well wouldn’t you know who won the fucking pony?”

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Isn’t that exactly what the Rs are doing with gun control? Any gun control legislation means they will next take all your guns.

1 - it works.

2 - every accusation is a confession.  The GQP says that about any restriction or regulation of a right (it means that the opposition will dissolve the right entirely) because - SPOILER - that is what the GQP would do, and is doing right now regarding other rights.  Clarence Thomas meant what he said, and he is the id of the GQP.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, really super pumped to get to have this conversation with my daughter:

"There won't be a war.  I hope."

"It will be localized and sectarian, and there will be outbreaks of real violence."

"I hope not."

"Me too.   I just want what's best for you and your brother."

"We have what's best.  We left."

"I wish it wasn't that way."

In spirit, at least, my children are refugees of a shithole country.  I wish it were not the case, but it is.

She followed with this:

"We're privileged.  So privileged to have that option.  But this was never about people like us.  If I needed an abortion, we have the resources to send me somewhere where it's legal.  It's about women and families who don't have that privilege and luxury.  It's about crushing the lower classes and keeping them in cyclical poverty."

I hate the leadership of this country.  I hate the people who celebrate oppression and cruelty.  I have given in to hate, fully and completely - there is no other rational response.  They want the worst.  They want blood, they want pain.  They literally rejoice in the pain and sadness of others (plenty of "cry more, libs!" going around).  I pray that there actually is a God who will  grant them what they wish for.....and that it be visited upon them.

@Brisketexan, I know your wife is a pastor.  If anyone you guys know is in need, they have a place in NYC to stay while they practice bodily autonomy. Further, I believe NY is setting up a fund to help defray travel costs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

@Brisketexan, I know your wife is a pastor.  If anyone you guys know is in need, they have a place in NYC to stay while they practice bodily autonomy. Further, I believe NY is setting up a fund to help defray travel costs.

By all means.  She is already part of plans for the underground railroad as it may be needed.

When Texas criminalizes leaving the state to get an abortion -- which it will -- that's when the shit gets real.  She is ready to go to prison if it comes to that.  As am I.

For those of you who doubt whether they'll continue, Supreme Court justices do not write opinions saying they should overturn more decisions for fun. That opinion is a clear invitation for cases that challenge those opinions. It is a message to Republican state legislatures to pass new laws and to Republican officials to enforce laws still on the books that have gone unenforced because of those decisions. It's effectively marching orders to the conservative legal movement. And the more cases are brought, the more the squishier justices will come around to saying "hell yeah, let's do those too!" Because this is how it works:

This is why revolutionary movements spin out of control. And we're absolutely dealing with a revolutionary movement.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, Bama Chick said:

LISTEN TO THEM WHEN THEY TELL YOU THEIR PLANS

He's right.  It worked.  The terrorists have won.

Just like any sane Syrian fled the Assad regime, sane people will flee our own regime of cruelty.  Terrorists practice terrorism because it works on civilians.

We just need enough people who think like warriors, and not civilians.  It WILL come to that.

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

For those of you who doubt whether they'll continue, Supreme Court justices do not write opinions saying they should overturn more decisions for fun. That opinion is a clear invitation for cases that challenge those opinions. It is a message to Republican state legislatures to pass new laws and to Republican officials to enforce laws still on the books that have gone unenforced because of those decisions. It's effectively marching orders to the conservative legal movement. And the more cases are brought, the more the squishier justices will come around to saying "hell yeah, let's do those too!" Because this is how it works:

This is why revolutionary movements spin out of control. And we're absolutely dealing with a revolutionary movement.

Bingo.  How many of you would like to bet against me on the following things happening within the next two Texas legislative sessions:

1 -- passing a law banning at least some contraceptives.

2 -- banning gay sex (that is, just reinstating something like the law that was already on the books in Lawrence)

3 -- passing a law banning same-sex marriage (it may go so far as to revoke recognition of such marriages already performed/performed elsewhere).

All statutes will be challenged, citing Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell, with the goal that they make it to a SCOTUS that, having already found that the right to privacy isn't a thing (and that being the basis for each of those precedents . . . ), will finish the job.

THIS.  IS.  THE PLAY.  THEY ARE TELLING YOU IT IS.  And my favorite part is the Johnny Sacks of the world saying they don't support that.  Bookmark those statements.  When it happens, they'll suddenly find that they absolutely support it, 100%.  That's how fascists roll.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

By all means.  She is already part of plans for the underground railroad as it may be needed.

When Texas criminalizes leaving the state to get an abortion -- which it will -- that's when the shit gets real.  She is ready to go to prison if it comes to that.  As am I.

New York has already said that it will not honor investigations or anything into New Yorkers helping women from other states, so yeah.  

What I also think should happen is that those of us in New York and California should start withholding federal tax dollars from the federal government unless they can prove that those dollars will not go to benefit states that have outlawed abortion.  We pay more than we get so that states like Mississippi and Alabama can continue to be ignorant backwaters.  No fucking more.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Ledge dwellers need to fucking jump already, Jesus.

Nope.  Just realizing what we need to have on hand.

Time to start shopping like a deranged 18 year old just exercising his constitutional rights.  The other side thinks they're the only ones who are armed, so they think their deputized Oathkeepers and Proud Boys can do as they wish with impunity.  I think it will be nice when they are surprised to find out their assumptions are incorrect, in 5.56 format, as their intended victims defend themselves and shoot back.  Which, as we all know, is the most heroic and laudable thing an American can do:

28xp-rittenhouse-superJumbo.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Bingo.  How many of you would like to bet against me on the following things happening within the next two Texas legislative sessions:

2 -- banning gay sex (that is, just reinstating something like the law that was already on the books in Lawrence)

3 -- passing a law banning same-sex marriage (it may go so far as to revoke recognition of such marriages already performed/performed elsewhere).

All statutes will be challenged, citing Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell, with the goal that they make it to a SCOTUS that, having already found that the right to privacy isn't a thing (and that being the basis for each of those precedents . . . ), will finish the job.

THIS.  IS.  THE PLAY.  THEY ARE TELLING YOU IT IS.  And my favorite part is the Johnny Sacks of the world saying they don't support that.  Bookmark those statements.  When it happens, they'll suddenly find that they absolutely support it, 100%.  That's how fascists roll.

Clarence Thomas and Alito are fucking horrific human beings.  No wonder Johnny Sack stans them.

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The only good Republican is a former Republican. Or a dead one. 

Edited by Gourmand

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Nope.  Just realizing what we need to have on hand.

Time to start shopping like a deranged 18 year old just exercising his constitutional rights.  The other side thinks they're the only ones who are armed, so they think their deputized Oathkeepers and Proud Boys can do as they wish with impunity.  I think it will be nice when they are surprised to find out their assumptions are incorrect, in 5.56 format, as their intended victims defend themselves and shoot back.  Which, as we all know, is the most heroic and laudable thing an American can do:

28xp-rittenhouse-superJumbo.jpg

done-seinfeld.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Yes they will.  And the states that allow abortion are planning for it.

https://patch.com/minnesota/southwestminneapolis/ag-ellison-vows-legally-protect-women-coming-mn-abortions

image.png.8bfedf520216193bf6d46fe57dbc9d79.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Maybe southern states throwing women in jail for having miscarriages will be the straw that finally flushes this fucking turd out of Congress for good.  Well past time for new leadership in both chambers.

We need new leadership, but the poem is apt and well chosen, I think.

She characterizes the nation as afire and blind. She and the poem are correct. 

• Hook 'Em 1