Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Jesus dude, back away from the ledge.  They aren't going to ban contraception.  Man, I would hate to walk a mile in your head sometimes.

The court is already Catholic enough to do that today, but I don't see any state being able to ban contraceptives and test that. Propagandize the evangelicals on the issue like they were on abortion for a decade or so, and I could see bans starting to get passed around 2040, though.

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Bingo.  How many of you would like to bet against me on the following things happening within the next two Texas legislative sessions:

1 -- passing a law banning at least some contraceptives.

2 -- banning gay sex (that is, just reinstating something like the law that was already on the books in Lawrence)

3 -- passing a law banning same-sex marriage (it may go so far as to revoke recognition of such marriages already performed/performed elsewhere).

All statutes will be challenged, citing Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell, with the goal that they make it to a SCOTUS that, having already found that the right to privacy isn't a thing (and that being the basis for each of those precedents . . . ), will finish the job.

THIS.  IS.  THE PLAY.  THEY ARE TELLING YOU IT IS.  And my favorite part is the Johnny Sacks of the world saying they don't support that.  Bookmark those statements.  When it happens, they'll suddenly find that they absolutely support it, 100%.  That's how fascists roll.

Odds they ban self-pleasuring?  War would be upon us.

12 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

We need new leadership, but the poem is apt and well chosen, I think.

She characterizes the nation as afire and blind. She and the poem are correct. 

Well no shit.  But she's not even trying to stop it.  Put together a bill codifying Griswold at least before it's gone too.  They couldn't bother doing that for Roe even though they had a two month heads up that this was going to happen.

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

ah, cool, so you can still buy an AR to mow down the people at the clinic, but they'll pay for your abortion while you're there. Dick's can still get fucked, even if this is one good policy of theirs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they banned the sale of assault rifles I believe after Stoneman Douglas.  I give him a LOT of credit.  This will cost them big.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

ah, cool, so you can still buy an AR to mow down the people at the clinic, but they'll pay for your abortion while you're there. Dick's can still get fucked, even if this is one good policy of theirs

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/dicks-sporting-goods-overhauled-its-gun-policies-after-parkland-the-ceo-didnt-stop-there/2019/05/31/9faa6a08-7d8f-11e9-a5b3-34f3edf1351e_story.html

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

Dick’s stepping up. 

Cue allegations by GQP that women are getting pregnant on purpose just so they can take an abortion vacation.

They'll be sued by every red state, many already have them on the books to go after people who leave to get abortions. 

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

@Brisketexan, I know your wife is a pastor.  If anyone you guys know is in need, they have a place in NYC to stay while they practice bodily autonomy. Further, I believe NY is setting up a fund to help defray travel costs.

Can't wait to see the various states suing NY directly over this shit. Because it's gonna happen. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

10 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Well no shit.  But she's not even trying to stop it.  Put together a bill codifying Griswold at least before it's gone too.  They couldn't bother doing that for Roe even though they had a two month heads up that this was going to happen.

What? They already passed one last year but, ya know, Senate minoritarian rule and the Manchinema dedication to the filibuster and all that.

I don't care to hear that right now because now is not the time for playing "but the Democrats!!!" as we are all well aware of their shortcomings wrt playing hardball politics.

THE. REPUBLICANS. DID. THIS.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Are you saying that you can buy those types of weapons at Dick's?

Thought they stopped selling some of those guns. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

What do you mean? The House passed a bill codifying Roe. Guess where that went, considering there's still a filibuster? And one of their own -- fucking Manchin-- voted against it anyway.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I don't think Dick's still sells ARs.

In the wake of the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre (which left 26 people, including 20 children, dead), Dick's stopped selling assault weapons at its big box stores across the country. But it continued to sell the AR-15 and similar rifles at its Field & Stream hunting and fishing specialty stores. After the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Florida, in February 2018 left 17 dead, Stack decided Field & Stream would follow Dick's lead. As the largest sporting-goods retailer in the United States, its commitment was a big deal for the industry.

Dick's Sporting Goods destroyed $5 million worth of "assault-style rifles," semi-automatic rifles like the AR-15, last year after it stopped selling them at all of its stores.

Stack told us he had the option to send the weapons his store removed back to the manufacturer for a refund between 80% and 85%. Another possibility would be to quickly liquidate the merchandise through discounts. Neither choice aligned with the company's intentions.

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

That’s because the House passed the Women’s Health Protection Act in 2021 which codified the right to an abortion.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Yes they will.  And the states that allow abortion are planning for it.

https://patch.com/minnesota/southwestminneapolis/ag-ellison-vows-legally-protect-women-coming-mn-abortions

image.png.8bfedf520216193bf6d46fe57dbc9d79.png

Key word here "IN MINNESOTA." Translation: when you get back to Texas, you're fucked. You headed to minnesota for that abortion? You'd better sell your fucking house and all your possessions first, because if it's not a one way trip and someone finds out, you're fucked.

Now tell me about the data services selling geo location info of women who've visited abortion clinics in other states? You think we're far away from Texas pulling a woman's driver's license or putting her name in a database when she tests pregnant with a doctor?

11 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yes, but I don't need to be told 6 times

Don't you?

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

What? They already passed one last year but, ya know, Senate minoritarian rule and the Manchinema dedication to the filibuster and all that.

I don't care to hear that right now because now is not the time for playing "but the Democrats!!!" as we are all well aware of their shortcomings wrt playing hardball politics.

I'll do you one further. Your parents did this. My parents did this. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Key word here "IN MINNESOTA." Translation: when you get back to Texas, you're fucked. You headed to minnesota for that abortion? You'd better sell your fucking house and all your possessions first, because if it's not a one way trip and someone finds out, you're fucked.

Yeah.  You're right, though it's really the last statement that counts.  The women (or provider who traveled to perform the procedure) may very well decide to stay in  the state where the abortion takes place, but it doesn't prevent Texas from issuing a warrant.  Usually a state that knows the location of someone with an outstanding felony warrant from another state will cooperate with extradition.  Minnesota is clearly announcing it's intention to say "fuck off".

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'll do you one further. Your parents did this. My parents did this

Nope. My 80-year-old mother is a staunch feminist. She's never voted for a Republican in her lifetime, nor have I.

Well, except that one time I voted for McCain in the 2000 Texas Republican primary because I knew Dubya was uniquely unqualified to be POTUS and didn't want him on the GOP ticket vs Gore. I guess that counts as a vote for a Republican, but I was still correct in my assessment of Bush. 

15 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

I am sorry you don't have a wife.

been married, now have a badass gf who I get along with great and isn't all that interested in getting married again either, so I've got that going for me, which is nice

14 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

fucking this. only one side is to blame for this.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The Democrats!

Seriously, thank. I'm never going to not be able to replace the Aristocrats! with The Democrats! Fucking apropos. 

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Nope. My 80-year-old mother is a staunch feminist. She's never voted for a Republican in her lifetime, nor have I.

Well, except that one time I voted for McCain in the 2000 Texas Republican primary because I knew Dubya was uniquely unqualified to be POTUS and didn't want him on the GOP ticket vs Gore. I guess that counts as a vote for a Republican, but I was still correct in my assessment of Bush. 

I think you understood the point I was making, sir. 

My company (Fortune top 20) just put out a statement to the employees that in light of the overturning of Roe V Wade our medical plan as of July 1st will now expand travel benefits to include abortion care, gender-affirming care, and behavioral health services in regions where access is restricted. 

I wonder if these new strict state abortion laws will cause some companies to move out of states or if they will just look at favorable taxes in those states and not worry about employees not wanting to move or stay in certain states.  I'm looking at TX on this as states like AL, MS, LA are lost causes anyways.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

Dick’s stepping up. 

Cue allegations by GQP that women are getting pregnant on purpose just so they can take an abortion vacation.

Dicks Sporting Goods is one of our clients that I have talked about in previous posts in this topic. They let the cat out the bag, but July 1st an absolute shit ton of the worlds biggest employers will have travel reimbursement available for reproductive health. 

7 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The Democrats!

"Dems didn't stop it, it's all their fault!!!"

Nah, screw that crap....Yes,  It's a dumb tweet, but the criticism is misplaced and ill-timed. Elected Democrats are not the problem. They are not the reason for this Gilead hellscape nuttery.

The house is a burning inferno and the arsonist is standing in the yard admiring his work, but some of yall are bitching at Daddy Democrat because he left the garden hose in the garage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I hate politics and don't really have much of an opinion on this topic...

But what I do find interesting is that no women are championing their right to prostitution.  If a woman's body is her own (and it is), then why does she not have the right to profit from it in a sexual capacity?

Just now, HookEm said:

But what I do find interesting is that no women are championing their right to prostitution.  If a woman's body is her own (and it is), then why does she not have the right to profit from it in a sexual capacity?

There actually are a fair amount of sex worker rights efforts in liberal cities.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

Are you joking?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Bingo.  How many of you would like to bet against me on the following things happening within the next two Texas legislative sessions:
1 -- passing a law banning at least some contraceptives.
2 -- banning gay sex (that is, just reinstating something like the law that was already on the books in Lawrence)
3 -- passing a law banning same-sex marriage (it may go so far as to revoke recognition of such marriages already performed/performed elsewhere).
All statutes will be challenged, citing Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell, with the goal that they make it to a SCOTUS that, having already found that the right to privacy isn't a thing (and that being the basis for each of those precedents . . . ), will finish the job.
THIS.  IS.  THE PLAY.  THEY ARE TELLING YOU IT IS.  And my favorite part is the Johnny Sacks of the world saying they don't support that.  Bookmark those statements.  When it happens, they'll suddenly find that they absolutely support it, 100%.  That's how fascists roll.

Numbers 2 and 3 are absolutely coming to a state near you. Number 1 is a bridge too far. Even the good catholics don't seem to shit out 7 kids anymore. It's a miracle blessed Mary my seed didn't find your egg again!

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

A) Some women are you, you just don't see them. B) It is very common for some members of an oppressed group to look for ways to further oppress members of that same group.

3 minutes ago, HookEm said:

How heavy is that rock you live under?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

She already did that last September.

It can’t get traction in the Senate.

That ain’t on Nancy.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

For nearly 50 years, the GOP ran on the idea of overturning Roe v Wade.  It was a great talking point to get single-issue voters to vote/contribute, and Democrats weren't really able to capitalize on it simply because it was a hypothetical.

Now it's no longer a hypothetical, and some of the nutters are pushing bans on contraception, gay marriage, etc.  Republican politicians will have to run with it on their record,, and all Republicans will have to defend the nutters pushing contraception bans, etc. as well.

This all sucks, but if this doesn't get more Democrats, independents, moderates, women, parents, etc. off their asses and to the polls, nothing will.  The campaign ads are writing themselves.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

If abortion was as important to Americans as Republicans make it out to be, Republican Presidents and a Republican-led Congress would have acted on it years, even decades ago, when they had the opportunity.  Instead, it was a fund-raising gimmick. Now it's no longer a hypothetical or gimmick, and they have to defend it and run on that record.

spacer.png

Also, what kind of person does NOT have an opinion on fundamental privacy rights and a woman's right to have a safe and legal abortion?

No offense but are you just a fucking idiot goober or is it that you have zero life experience in anything?

• Hook 'Em 1