Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

23 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

My company (Fortune top 20) just put out a statement to the employees that in light of the overturning of Roe V Wade our medical plan as of July 1st will now expand travel benefits to include abortion care, gender-affirming care, and behavioral health services in regions where access is restricted. 

I wonder if these new strict state abortion laws will cause some companies to move out of states or if they will just look at favorable taxes in those states and not worry about employees not wanting to move or stay in certain states.  I'm looking at TX on this as states like AL, MS, LA are lost causes anyways.

Nike or Disney?

I hate politics and don't really have much of an opinion on this topic...
But what I do find interesting is that no women are championing their right to prostitution.  If a woman's body is her own (and it is), then why does she not have the right to profit from it in a sexual capacity?

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

50 Mussolini Hanging Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

They’re the ones who are winning. It’ll be a while before they’re strung up. People in this country are stupid. They’ll blame the Democrats for gas costing $100  every time you fill up your truck and the CRT scare tactics are working even better than they imagined they would. Hungary, Fidesz and Viktor Orban style President is coming. They’re over there now learning the playbook. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

LISTEN TO THEM WHEN THEY TELL YOU THEIR PLANS

Christ.. i hadn't even considered that.

Not to mention a Senatorial advantage. We are are heading toward an America with 50% of it's populous living in 5 states leading to that populous only having 10% representation in the Senate.

16 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

My company (Fortune top 20) just put out a statement to the employees that in light of the overturning of Roe V Wade our medical plan as of July 1st will now expand travel benefits to include abortion care, gender-affirming care, and behavioral health services in regions where access is restricted. 

I wasn’t lying when I was telling the board this was happening. I was literally helping with the rough draft and giving input on the tech specs.

Just now, Macklemore said:

They’re the ones who are winning. It’ll be a while before they’re strung up. People in this country are stupid. They’ll blame the Democrats for gas costing $100  every time you fill up your truck and the CRT scare tactics are working even better than they imagined they would. Hungary, Fidesz and Viktor Orban style President is coming. They’re over there now learning the playbook. 

Yes. Y'all will have success for awhile, but it will not hold it because fascists are stupid. At some point you will begin to crumble and you will all be hanged by an enraged public that you've failed to keep down. What I can't understand is why you're happy about the prospect, but psychology has never been my specialty.

2 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

well, at least Texas has a well funded, top notch capacious foster care system on top of the generous child care and social safety nets funding in place to ease a working mother back on to her feet and allow her to care and provide for their children.  JFC, fuck all these hypocrites. 

A smart Texas democratic party would immediately announce that next session, their number one priority is the "Protection of Post-Fetal Children Act," providing for a robust foster care system, a dramatically expanded and funded CPS, massive increase in food aid to children, increases in funding to educate our precious post-born, etc.  Propose it.  Demand hearings on it.   Offer it as an amendment to every piece of legislation with remotely similar subject matter.  Let the GQP show themselves for what they are - fascist control freaks, not people who give a single smear of shit about human life.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

I wasn’t lying when I was telling the board this was happening. I was literally helping with the rough draft and giving input on the tech specs.

Like any of that will make a shit when 1) the Texas legislature bans and criminalizes all of that, criminalizes women traveling out of state for reproductive matters, and criminalizes all persons or entities facilitating it, and 2) this SCOTUS allows every bit of that law to stand.

You still don't get the game being played here.  You are still drafting good-faith policies for a legal landscape that exists only in your hopeful imagination.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

A smart Texas democratic party would immediately announce that next session, their number one priority is the "Protection of Post-Fetal Children Act," providing for a robust foster care system, a dramatically expanded and funded CPS, massive increase in food aid to children, increases in funding to educate our precious post-born, etc.  Propose it.  Demand hearings on it.   Offer it as an amendment to every piece of legislation with remotely similar subject matter.  Let the GQP show themselves for what they are - fascist control freaks, not people who give a single smear of shit about human life.

republican response

image.png.ad34b45d9ecf99b5b4ee1613ca06b409.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Yes. Y'all will have success for awhile, but it will not hold it because fascists are stupid. At some point you will begin to crumble and you will all be hanged by an enraged public that you've failed to keep down. What I can't understand is why you're happy about the prospect, but psychology has never been my specialty.

“At some point you’ll begin to crumble”:

Spain: Franco ruled for 40+ years and oversaw the “Spanish Miracle” - economic growth that brought that country into the 1st world

Chile: “Miracle of Chile” economy. Pinochet almost 20 years in charge riding on economic prosperity.

Singapore: Since their independence they’ve had an authoritarian government  built on a strong economy.

People are grumbling about how the economy was better under Trump. All they need to do is keep people fat and happy and they can do what they want.

• Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

You and I know that still wouldn't matter.  The people of this state will always find a reason to vote R because the people are idiots.  They will be told by Fox News or their R politicians that the economy/inflation is bad because of the Dems, Brown people are coming over the border to rape/murder your women and children and the Dems will let it happen, LGBQT people are trying to make your kids gay and the Dems want this to happen, Dems are going to take away your hamburgers and make you eat tofu burgers, and any other ridiculous idea you can think of and the dumb people of TX and other Red states will pull the lever for the R.  

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-06-24/with-roe-vs-wade-overturned-what-happens-in-california?utm_source=reddit.com

SACRAMENTO — 

Despite the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision Friday to strike down the landmark federal abortion rights case Roe vs. Wade, access to abortion in California will continue to be protected under state law, and those rights likely will be expanded soon by Democratic leaders.

The state has been preparing for an influx from areas of the country where bans will be resurrected for the first time since 1973. Various bills and budget proposals are in the works, calling for millions to be set aside for abortion services for the uninsured, workforce programs to increase the number of providers and to assist patients with the cost of traveling from other states.

Lawmakers sent Gov. Gavin Newsom a bill Thursday that would protect abortion providers in California against civil liability when providing care to patients from states where the procedure is prohibited or access is narrowed.

Newsom said Friday that California is working with Oregon and Washington to create “the West Coast offense to protect patients’ access to reproductive care.”

“We will not sit on the sidelines and allow patients who seek reproductive care in our states or the doctors that provide that care to be intimidated with criminal prosecution,” Newsom said in a statement. “We refuse to go back, and we will fight like hell to protect our rights and our values.”

“I want to be crystal clear: Abortion remains legal here in California, and we are working to ensure that people — regardless of where they come from — can access abortion services with as much support and as few barriers as possible,” Jodi Hicks, president of Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California, said in a statement Friday.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Like any of that will make a shit when 1) the Texas legislature bans and criminalizes all of that, criminalizes women traveling out of state for reproductive matters, and criminalizes all persons or entities facilitating it, and 2) this SCOTUS allows every bit of that law to stand.

You still don't get the game being played here.  You are still drafting good-faith policies for a legal landscape that exists only in your hopeful imagination.

Oh thanks for letting me know, both of your points of discussion NEVER came up. I’ll go play with legos now.

Christ.. i hadn't even considered that.
Not to mention a Senatorial advantage. We are are heading toward an America with 50% of it's populous living in 5 states leading to that populous only having 10% representation in the Senate.

Yeah, thoughts like this are what give me pause when I try to decide that I want to leave this state — or this country altogether.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

How viable is this idea, law dogs? Or would this just lead to the GQP ordering drone strikes on reservations across America?

I asked the same question upthread.  No responses so far...I take that back, there was 1 snarky comment.

Could be a viable option for women in Oklahoma and North Texas.

Edited by DixonHur
  • Like 2

Yeah, thoughts like this are what give me pause when I try to decide that I want to leave this state — or this country altogether.
As I've told more than a handful of people today. Stay and fight. Your vote is needed here.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Spain: Franco ruled for 40+ years and oversaw the “Spanish Miracle” - economic growth that brought that country into the 1st world

Chile: “Miracle of Chile” economy. Pinochet almost 20 years in charge riding on economic prosperity.

Singapore: Since their independence they’ve had an authoritarian government  built on a strong economy.

People are grumbling about how the economy was better under Trump. All they need to do is keep people fat and happy and they can do what they want.

Wow it's nuts to see someone openly speaking about the virtues of fascism. @immamac will there be site rules on fascism at some point?

Philadelphia is on ours shortlist in no small part due to the fact that it would allow our votes to be much more significant at the state/federal level while still leaving a lot of the shit we’re tired of in TX behind.

Candidly admitting to be a fascist aside, maybe Google how things turned out for those first two regimes.
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

How viable is this idea, law dogs? Or would this just lead to the GQP ordering drone strikes on reservations across America?

It's an open question AFAIK.  As a threshold matter, most tribes are dealing with more basic problems like getting basic healthcare and housing for all their members, so they may not be overly interested in becoming the saviors of abortion in red states.  Here's a link to an article about it.  https://khn.org/news/article/native-american-abortion-clinics-access-tribal-land/   As that article indicates, funding would likely also be an issue.  The Hyde Amendment restricts federal funding of abortions in most instances, and Indian tribes rely heavily on federal funding. 

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

It's an open question AFAIK.  As a threshold matter, most tribes are dealing with more basic problems like getting basic healthcare and housing for all their members, so they may not be overly interested in becoming the saviors of abortion in red states.  Here's a link to an article about it.  https://khn.org/news/article/native-american-abortion-clinics-access-tribal-land/   

Perhaps not all of them have the means, but tribes like the Chickasaw in Oklahoma and Seminoles in Florida certainly would.

Late to the discussion, but I don’t think this hurts Republicans politically at all. The message just changes from “vote for us because Democrats kill babies” to “vote for us or Democrats will legalize killing babies.”

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Late to the discussion, but I don’t think this hurts Republicans politically at all. The message just changes from “vote for us because Democrats kill babies” to “vote for us or Democrats will legalize killing babies.”

It will start to hurt republicans when voters figure out that it sucks living in a world where women are forced to have babies, but that's going to take some time.

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

You're getting it. Fascists don't just take a win and rest on their laurels - they'll continue to press their advantage and weaponize society against their "other"-ed groups. That's why the pollyanna optimism about "wellll they'll lose at the polls then! Gotcha!" is missing the forest for the trees. They're doing all of this now thanks to exploiting the electoral system, gerrymandering, and a willingness to lie to their voters.

The issue itself doesn't matter to them. All that matters is that it matters to a group they dislike. That's all the reason they need to upturn it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

this definitely doesn't de-motivate the single issue voters.  but i'm not sure how many of those weren't already motivated.

i think the question is does this motivate wavering people in the middle or erratic voters on the left to vote for a democrat or vote more regularly?

Edited by elfenix

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:

Yeah.  You're right, though it's really the last statement that counts.  The women (or provider who traveled to perform the procedure) may very well decide to stay in  the state where the abortion takes place, but it doesn't prevent Texas from issuing a warrant.  Usually a state that knows the location of someone with an outstanding felony warrant from another state will cooperate with extradition.  Minnesota is clearly announcing it's intention to say "fuck off".

New York has also explicitly said they would not cooperate either.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Sawbonz said:

Just getting back to this thread after today’s events. Has anyone listed all the states where abortion was made illegal automatically by today’s ruling?

I think someone posted a graphic in the SC thread earlier today.  Too many clicks to repost.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I hate politics and don't really have much of an opinion on this topic...

But what I do find interesting is that no women are championing their right to prostitution.  If a woman's body is her own (and it is), then why does she not have the right to profit from it in a sexual capacity?

Legalizing prostitution allows regulation which can protect the worker.  I am all for legalizing prostitution.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1