Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

18 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Every Dem candidate needs to be hammering the GOP for their extremism on abortion and guns. 

Trump CRUSHED Biden in Kansas -- 56/42.  Tonight's result gives ammunition to the idea that it's not a partisan issue, that Roe V Wade has bipartisan support.  This needs to be front and center in every race going forward.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Trump CRUSHED Biden in Kansas -- 56/42.  Tonight's result gives ammunition to the idea that it's not a partisan issue, that Roe V Wade has bipartisan support.  This needs to be front and center in every race going forward.

I think you're right that it's not a partisan issue. Unfortunately, I also think it's very likely there are a lot of Texans who would vote for a constitutional amendment to allow abortion, but won't be willing to pull the lever for a Democrat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, fuggled said:

I think you're right that it's not a partisan issue. Unfortunately, I also think it's very likely there are a lot of Texans who would vote for a constitutional amendment to allow abortion, but won't be willing to pull the lever for a Democrat.

Yeah like this lady 

nprrv49dzbf91.thumb.png.2ee4436cafe97875dec6aafba9c06d3f.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

55 minutes ago, fuggled said:

That is why Texas has turned into a fucked up place to live.  Just like continuing to vote for crooks like Ken Paxton.  Fuck all of them.  

• Hook 'Em 2

The problem in Texas isn't so much the people who vote as it is all those who don't. This is the hardest state in which to vote (obv. by design). And has the lowest voter participation rate (as a result), from what I've read. And there are a fuck-ton more urban poor people here than there are in Kansas, for instance, who are barely surviving and couldn't be less politically engaged. No FW:FW:FW's in the living hand-to-mouth and barely staying out of jail segment. Mobilize a bunch more of the don't-vote segment of Texas and we coast to a purple or even blue future. Overcoming any burgeoning valley Republican contingent not included in this .

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Cool.  Are they gonna recognize citizenship upon conception for these 2 cell persons too?  If so I need to figure out how to grift a “conceive your American anchor baby tour” project.

It has always amazed me that Texas Republicans would support something like this but oppose a pregnant mother recovering in a civil lawsuit for an injury causing the death of her unborn baby.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's honestly sort of bittersweet for me, because in my mind most of these people were voting for assholes year in, year out, because they had some sort of brain imbalance that made them a single issue abortion voter. Like "yeah, you think it's murder, I disagree, whatever, but at least murder is wrong so I can see where you are coming from." But clearly that isn't the case for at least half of these people, so they must be voting for nothing but racism and homophobia instead, and I can't even see the bad logic required to understand that vote.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Damn, who would have thought if you told a woman that got raped, and was pregnant, she HAD to have the kid would be a problem.

When the people around you stare at the ground when you talk, that means you need to stop.

take away women's rights to vote and the R's will have less worries !

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Yeah, it's about a 23 point difference right now and I think it ends up around 60/40. It appears the republicans just might have fucked themselves with their supreme court.

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Every Dem candidate needs to be hammering the GOP for their extremism on abortion and guns. 

2 hours ago, CTC2 said:

That is why Texas has turned into a fucked up place to live.  Just like continuing to vote for crooks like Ken Paxton.  Fuck all of them.  

I am curious if the Texas Freedom Caucus in the legislature is going to tone things down ahead of November in terms of threatening to go after women who leave the state for an abortion (or those that help them). 

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

what's to stop kansas to pass something similar to the Texas Civil suit abortion law ?

not a Kansas constitutional scholar, but from what i have read it's in their state constitution (an amendment) that abortion is a right.  It's not that just there are no laws banning abortion, but that it is a right for all women.  This vote was to take away that amendment and put them back at square one, where predictably, all the handmaid's tale stuff would then be introduced at a time of the GQPs choosing.  

The Value Them Both Amendment would affirm there is no Kansas constitutional right to abortion or to require the government funding of abortion, and would reserve to the people of Kansas, through their elected state legislators, the right to pass laws to regulate abortion, including, but not limited to, in circumstances of pregnancy resulting from rape or incest, or when necessary to save the life of the mother

so the GQP put in that they *might* put in allowances for rape and safety of the mother to try and bring in moderates.  But really, had this passed, we would have seen total bans.

What is important today kids is that in the first test of wills (VOTERS) the abortion issue is exactly what I have been saying it always is.  Purely political, and the result minority rule.  Minority rule due to the radical gaming of the system to seat three Trump judges with the fewest votes ever for confirmation, nominated by a man who did not receive more votes than his opponent!  Now it's time for the GOP to reap what they have sown.  Educated people are not stupid, and they know history, and they know that old white racist Republican men making making life decisions for women isn't a good thing.  The good news is that I think this is going to be the main issue heading into the fall election simply as women vote more than men, and they are motivated not to lose MORE of their freedoms.  

It is also important to know that in this instance of trying to eliminate abortion for women in Kansas the GOP again tried to let the MINORITY rule by the timing of the vote.  Designed to have the fewest voters possible make the decision.  The entire Republican party is build not on a foundation of reduced turnout, and especially producing roadblocks for now-white rural voters as often as possible.  But when you piss off the women in your country by having old white racist Elected Republicans mansplaining the need for raped women to carry children to term?  You are going to permanently, move educated younger people out of your party's lane.

I talk all the time to kids when I am out and about.  If politics come up, I say, "If only you little fuckers would get out an vote all the decisions in Texas would not be made by old racist white men..."  And then follow up with I know that going to a party, floating the river, or finding some weed ended up being more important last election"... and laugh heartily!  They usually laugh too, but I hope the thought imprints.

You see... I have a dream.  I have a dream where more and more people vote in Texas.  And that eventually we can turn away from a minority rule by old racist white men, to a more diverse, better educated, and moderate slate of elected officials.  And save our country from the path the aging white racists are plotting for us...

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, fuggled said:

If the Democratic Party disbanded and just ran as ballot initiatives, they'd win most everything.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

Cool.  Are they gonna recognize citizenship upon conception for these 2 cell persons too?  If so I need to figure out how to grift a “conceive your American anchor baby tour” project.

Username checks out.

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

What is important today kids is that in the first test of wills (VOTERS) the abortion issue is exactly what I have been saying it always is.  Purely political, and the result minority rule.  Minority rule due to the radical gaming of the system to seat three Trump judges with the fewest votes ever for confirmation, nominated by a man who did not receive more votes than his opponent!  Now it's time for the GOP to reap what they have sown.  Educated people are not stupid, and they know history, and they know that old white racist Republican men making making life decisions for women isn't a good thing.  The good news is that I think this is going to be the main issue heading into the fall election simply as women vote more than men, and they are motivated not to lose MORE of their freedoms.  

It is also important to know that in this instance of trying to eliminate abortion for women in Kansas the GOP again tried to let the MINORITY rule by the timing of the vote.  Designed to have the fewest voters possible make the decision.  The entire Republican party is build not on a foundation of reduced turnout, and especially producing roadblocks for now-white rural voters as often as possible.  But when you piss off the women in your country by having old white racist Elected Republicans mansplaining the need for raped women to carry children to term?  You are going to permanently, move educated younger people out of your party's lane.

I talk all the time to kids when I am out and about.  If politics come up, I say, "If only you little fuckers would get out an vote all the decisions in Texas would not be made by old racist white men..."  And then follow up with I know that going to a party, floating the river, or finding some weed ended up being more important last election"... and laugh heartily!  They usually laugh too, but I hope the thought imprints.

You see... I have a dream.  I have a dream where more and more people vote in Texas.  And that eventually we can turn away from a minority rule by old racist white men, to a more diverse, better educated, and moderate slate of elected officials.  And save our country from the path the aging white racists are plotting for us...

You can’t take something away that’s been in place for nearly 50 years and could affect over half of this country’s lives directly at any given moment without some kind of backlash. Some Women in the 21st century get abortions. The GOP would realize that it’s an important right to let the woman and their doctor choose the best personal decision for them if they weren’t all still mentally living in the 1950’s. Hell that’s all they do is try and bring us back to the 1950’s.

• Hook 'Em 1

Women of a certain age on here:  What is the mindset of RvW pullback for the typical 50 year old lady?  "It's not a big deal because I'm past that"? "This is symbolic of the right's ongoing efforts to only elevate men at the cost of everything"? "I'm concerned about the rights of my daughter / I'm carrying the torch for people in the future"? 

The personal impact of the legal change dramatically drops as a voter ages.  I wonder how much the political impact does too.

8 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Women of a certain age on here:  What is the mindset of RvW pullback for the typical 50 year old lady?  "It's not a big deal because I'm past that"? "This is symbolic of the right's ongoing efforts to only elevate men at the cost of everything"? "I'm concerned about the rights of my daughter / I'm carrying the torch for people in the future"? 

The personal impact of the legal change dramatically drops as a voter ages.  I wonder how much the political impact does too.

I’m not a woman, but I that Women are way more empathetic then men on average. I think most of them understand what it would feel like to be a 15 year old in McAllen,Texas who got caught up in the moment, didn’t wear protection, and now her life is a complete horror show due to a combination of limited means, some evil men in the legislature, and unfortunate geography.

Edited by Voldemort86
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I assume a 50-year old pro-choice woman will be very upset.  A 50 year old pro-life woman won't change her mind and suddenly become pro-choice because of this.  She is brainwashed. 

13 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Because I know the fairytale life the GOP pretends was in the past and should be the future is/was just that. I'm not only concerned for my children's future, but for any child who would grow up in a country where continued disenfranchisement of not only females but 'other' is seen as normal and appropriate. It is not. It is a violent and destructive path.

• Hook 'Em 1

Most Republican women simply never really thought the men would really be that stupid.  Now I am not hanging with blue collar Republicans for the most part who quite honestly tend to be a lot more home and church based than some of the women I speak to.  But for some reason they just really never thought access would be completely taken away.  They still have the no worries, as my darling daughter will never have to worry about access (note to self: update her passport just in case).

But I think emotionally it still made them stop and think for a second.  And women have greater sympathy and empathy in general compared to men.  I think you are going to see a decline of a fairly substantial nature among suburban women this Fall voting Republican.  I thought you would see it, but you never know, and Kansas has kind of affirmed that.  

The most interesting thing about the result in Kansas?  That the polls were pretty close, sort of like a lot of the Senate races this year.  And when an issue in a state that has been purple, but more Red than Blue in power slots, breaks 60/40 against the priority issue of the Republican party?  That's a damn good thing for our country!

Edited by horn4life

14 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Yeah, it's about a 23 point difference right now and I think it ends up around 60/40. It appears the republicans just might have fucked themselves with their supreme court.

about twice as many people voted in this Kansas primary as did last time

940,000. The estimated number of Kansas voters who cast ballots in yesterday’s primaries and on the abortion referendum.
473,438. The number of Kansas voters who voted in the 2018 primaries.

again, putting a single issue like abortion or gun restrictions and you will get Rs that will vote like moderates/libruls.  But getting them to vote for a name with a [D] after it is a bridge too far in most cases.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Yes to all the things you mentioned but hell no to the importance dropping because of age.

GenXer women have never known a world without legal and safe abortions and even though most of us are past our child bearing years, we aren’t going to shrug our shoulders about this because this is just the first volley.

And women older than us are the ones who actually fought for our rights the first go around. They’re pissed their work has been undone.

I don’t think white men can understand the feelings of historical out groups. Just because something doesn’t effect me personally doesn’t mean I don’t care.

You mean straight white men. Gay white men would like a word on outrage if and when gay marriage is fucked with, regardless of age.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

it's not just about abortion, it's about bodily autonomy and personal privacy. most 50+ year old progressive women I know are actually really fucking smart and most are rather accomplished. They understand nuance, cause and effect, and intent, my fiance/wife included. They are who they are because they fought in a world where these rights were hard fought and earned and their success was in the headwinds of sexism and lack of access. Most found alternative routes through entrepreunership or simply saying no over and over to men and outworking them, outsmarting them and finding a way. They are remarkably resourceful and have amazing stories to tell.  To them (I'm only 46), this is a much, much bigger issue. it touches every single personal privacy issue from abortion, to medical decisions, to access to healthcare, to insurability, to marriage equality, to sexual equality and even the right to tell a man to fuck off.  there was a time where a man couldn't be accused of raping his wife. from top to bottom and side to side the entire universe of personal autonomy and personal privacy is at risk and the ones you see that the clearest are the ones that don't need abortion rights per se for themselves anymore.  The 50+ year old progressive woman is actually the person you want leading this country.  they are that smart, that amazing, accomplished, and that dialed in - at least the ones in my circle.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

You mean straight white men. Gay white men would like a word on outrage if and when gay marriage is fucked with, regardless of age.  

most of my gay male friends are pretty damn outraged now.

I think the secret sauce to political success this fall is women's freedom via the right to an abortion, simply because of... freedom to make your own decisions.  But more importantly I think you need to focus on kids and their transition to adults and the complete at total hypocrisy on the issue.  I would be addressing the lack of healthcare for pregnant women but they love a fetus.  The horrific and now well of ten year nightmare of the Texas foster care system where the federal government has to sue the state to TRY to keep these kids safe, but they love a fetus.  The compete failure of the juvenile justice system from a staffing and moral standpoint, but they love a fetus.  The won't keep kids safe safe from angry 18 years olds at school, but they love a fetus.

I would turn  "but they love a fetus..."

into a fucking bumper sticker as often as I would repeat it.  And I would WIN!

2 hours ago, yoladu said:

what's empathy?

GOP leaders all but guarantee Kavanaugh confirmation - POLITICO

the least they could do for us is wear the traditional garb - you know wigs, heels, coats with tails, fluffy silk blouses. at least then they might be able to hide in modern society.  these fools, yeah, get 'em outta here!!!

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Fatties wife and a shitload of women in her demographic are going to be pulling the dem lever in November once that curtain is shut no matter what they say in public. Dobbs was the dumbest political move in history 

Yup.  Which is why they decided Shelby County v. Holder first.  Political moves don't matter if you have Russian style "elections."

15 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Fatties wife and a shitload of women in her demographic are going to be pulling the dem lever in November once that curtain is shut no matter what they say in public. Dobbs was the dumbest political move in history 

I’ve talked to some hardcore republicans and they are angry at the timing of the supreme courts decision and not the content of the decision itself. They acknowledge that it will probably hurt them at the polls. They just wanted it to drop in 2023 after all the votes are counted because they are sick sons of bitches who only care about the party and winning elections. Nothing else really matters to these soulless golems.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

strategically it was brilliant timing. leak early, get outrage half through, drop the opinion during mid-term primary season, each side is in their corner, mid-term year, historically the out of power party gains on the in power party, then the news cycle is over, everyone is back on tik-tok for 18 months, then the presidential election and a new shiny issue arises. it was timed for the least amount of headwinds for the republicans as possible.

the failure point is kind of like government debt - it's not too much, until it is.

that abortion decision may be too much, it may have staying power for the dems, let's see, let's hope so.

Edited by troph

6 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

about twice as many people voted in this Kansas primary as did last time

again, putting a single issue like abortion or gun restrictions and you will get Rs that will vote like moderates/libruls.  But getting them to vote for a name with a [D] after it is a bridge too far in most cases.

case in point: floriduh has voted for a $15 minimum wage and restoring the right to vote to felons.  they have also voted for trump twice, lil marco, ron desantis, and medicare fraudster rick scott. 

C4zVO_more_kansans_voted_on_the_abortion

This should trouble the RNC. Kansas is like 40-45% Republican about a third independent and a quarter Democrat. The measure got shot down by a nearly 20 point margin. Around 50 percent more voted in this primary than in the last primary, which was the highest to this point. That kind of turnout in a red state against a Republican initiative spells trouble for the red wave the RNC is hoping for this year. They really should have waited until 2023 to pull their bullshit.  They probably gave the Dems an issue to run on that can prevent a red wave.

• Hook 'Em 2