Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

I think I have way to change the GOP's mind on Abortion.  Attach immediate mandatory child support from conception, with criminal incarceration of up to 5 years, for failure to fulfill genetic "father" obligations.  Put that on the ballot and let's see the embrace of the old white men on that small level of responsibility for men, when imposing a lifelong burden on a women for the same genetic interaction.

• Hook 'Em 3

I think I have way to change the GOP's mind on Abortion.  Attach immediate mandatory child support from conception, with criminal incarceration of up to 5 years, for failure to fulfill genetic "father" obligations.  Put that on the ballot and let's see the embrace of the old white men on that small level of responsibility for men, when imposing a lifelong burden on a women for the same genetic interaction.

Last week, a state legislator (don’t remember where) was going to introduce a bill to ban child support because the threat of it would encourage men to be pro abortion.

7 hours ago, Burt said:

We now know what the next republican talking point will be - women obviously cannot be trusted to vote the right way.

end-womens-suffrage.jpg.54b7c1f4b12b7880d00128ff053729aa.jpg

It's been a thing since polling in the 2016 election showed dotard with a big lead if only men voted.

• Haha 1

With the voters obviously upset about abortion rights, it will be interesting to see how it impacts non-referendum elections and if poorer communities recognize the impact to them.

A voter in Highland Park is barely impacted with a loss of abortion rights in Texas. An unexpected pregnancy can be terminated with only a quick flight as a barrier, or they take their teenage daughter on a "shopping trip" to NYC for a week. They might be motivated to vote differently but they didn't lose their rights.

The poor person in the Brownsville basically lost complete access to an abortion. Driving or flying to another state is most likely out of the question. Even though many in South Texas are Catholic, people frequently justify disagreements with their church. I know people that sit in a pew every Sunday but don't follow the Catholic teachings.

Note: A search surprised me that Coahuila (across the border from Eagle Pass or Del Rio) in Mexico has legal abortions for the 1st 12 weeks. Like the US, Mexico let's their states decide. However I don't know if there are many (any) legitimate clinics in those cities. I'm sure unregulated clinics are available in Mexico for the women that have no choices.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

With the voters obviously upset about abortion rights, it will be interesting to see how it impacts non-referendum elections and if poorer communities recognize the impact to them.

A voter in Highland Park is barely impacted with a loss of abortion rights in Texas. An unexpected pregnancy can be terminated with only a quick flight as a barrier, or they take their teenage daughter on a "shopping trip" to NYC for a week. They might be motivated to vote differently but they didn't lose their rights.

The poor person in the Brownsville basically lost complete access to an abortion. Driving or flying to another state is most likely out of the question. Even though many in South Texas are Catholic, people frequently justify disagreements with their church. I know people that sit in a pew every Sunday but don't follow the Catholic teachings.

Note: A search surprised me that Coahuila (across the border from Eagle Pass or Del Rio) in Mexico has legal abortions for the 1st 12 weeks. Like the US, Mexico let's their states decide. However I don't know if there are many (any) legitimate clinics in those cities. I'm sure unregulated clinics are available in Mexico for the women that have no choices.

I disagree with your Highland Park voter take. Sure it checks out for the above scenario (and I would probably agree if republicans hadn’t decided to go batshit on some of these recent laws and hospital response to them), but I think even someone with means has to be a little freaked out for their wanted pregnancies right now. I certainly am. There are a lot of things that can go wrong for the whole length of pregnancy. Once you start miscarrying / have an ectopic, do you have enough time to grab a flight to denver? What about in your last month? You’re not supposed to fly. Will your doctor prioritize your life? Do you need to have your delivery in another state? Some scary scary stuff that money can’t necessarily protect you from.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/3/2022 at 9:00 AM, gyroprotagonist said:

not a Kansas constitutional scholar, but from what i have read it's in their state constitution (an amendment) that abortion is a right.  It's not that just there are no laws banning abortion, but that it is a right for all women.  This vote was to take away that amendment and put them back at square one, where predictably, all the handmaid's tale stuff would then be introduced at a time of the GQPs choosing.  

so the GQP put in that they *might* put in allowances for rape and safety of the mother to try and bring in moderates.  But really, had this passed, we would have seen total bans.

The Kansas constitution protects abortion in exactly the same way that the US constitution used to. There hasn't been an amendment passed to explicitly say that abortion is protected, and abortion isn't mentioned specifically. We are just fortunate enough to have judges who believe in medical privacy. Right now 6 out of 7 of our supreme court judges ruled that abortion was protected, but we also have the ability to vote judges out, so with a republican governor and a bad election for our judges, that ruling could potentially turn on a dime. Judges seem to never get voted out, though.

Our kids' pediatrician announced last week that she was moving her practice out of Texas. She works with a lot of add and adhd kids and also some trans kids.

My wife's GP announced today that she's also moving her practice out of Texas because she can no longer provide care that she believes is best for her patients.

She hasn't heard from her OB yet but I'm sure she's next.

In GQP Texas women will need to get health care at church.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 8

24 minutes ago, Viking said:

Our kids' pediatrician announced last week that she was moving her practice out of Texas. She works with a lot of add and adhd kids and also some trans kids.

My wife's GP announced today that she's also moving her practice out of Texas because she can no longer provide care that she believes is best for her patients.

what a shithole state i live in

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Nurses and doctors are leaving this state. 

Pretty soon, the prevailing treatment for every illness will be thoughts and prayers. Fucking bullshit christians.

Will there be a talent drain as workers leave this state? Will companies move with them in order to hire people cause no sane person will want to live in texas?

It'll be interesting to see how out of state and out of country applications to UT are impacted by this bullshit? It'll be interesting to see how many to Texas high school students opt to go out of state instead of attending UT. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Nurses and doctors are leaving this state. 

Pretty soon, the prevailing treatment for every illness will be thoughts and prayers. Fucking bullshit christians.

Will there be a talent drain as workers leave this state? Will companies move with them in order to hire people cause no sane person will want to live in texas?

It'll be interesting to see how out of state and out of country applications to UT are impacted by this bullshit? It'll be interesting to see how many to Texas high school students opt to go out of state instead of attending UT. 

My younger brother moved out of state post-UT with the intention of coming back home to Texas when it's time to settle down.

He no longer plans to come back.

3 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

The Kansas constitution protects abortion in exactly the same way that the US constitution used to. There hasn't been an amendment passed to explicitly say that abortion is protected, and abortion isn't mentioned specifically. We are just fortunate enough to have judges who believe in medical privacy. Right now 6 out of 7 of our supreme court judges ruled that abortion was protected, but we also have the ability to vote judges out, so with a republican governor and a bad election for our judges, that ruling could potentially turn on a dime. Judges seem to never get voted out, though.

This is essentially the situation in Montana, from a piece on NPR. Case law ruled that abortion is protected in the state constitution. Now comes the R push to get new maga judges on the state supreme court. This battle will never end.

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

My younger brother moved out of state post-UT with the intention of coming back home to Texas when it's time to settle down.

He no longer plans to come back.

Re: a brain and talent drain, the powers that be won't give a single, solitary shit because the sound of that drain is the reddening of Texas.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Not abortion but fuck christian zealots. Religion is a cancer unleashed unto the world.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/minnesota-pharmacist-trial-refusing-dispense-morning-pill-beliefs-rcna41030

The sad thing is that it's not really "zealots".

It seems that a sizeable majority (imo) of christians are ignorant dipshits who have no clue what the teachings of Jesus really say.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

It seems that a sizeable majority (imo) of christians are ignorant dipshits who have no clue what the teachings of Jesus really say.

They know. They just don’t care. 

Religion isn’t about faith, it’s about control. If it was about faith, they would be foregoing possessions and feeding the poor. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It is zealots.

All self proclaimed, flag waving, chest thumping christians are zealots and nowadays that encompasses about 85% of christians.

44 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

The worst fucking people.

If someone took him at his word and killed him because hey death is just a consequence of life, and I ended up on the jury, I would be acting entirely consistent with his rhetoric if I voted to acquit.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, bonnieblue said:

…but I think even someone with means has to be a little freaked out for their wanted pregnancies right now. I certainly am. There are a lot of things that can go wrong for the whole length of pregnancy. Once you start miscarrying / have an ectopic, do you have enough time to grab a flight to denver? What about in your last month? You’re not supposed to fly. Will your doctor prioritize your life? Do you need to have your delivery in another state? Some scary scary stuff that money can’t necessarily protect you from.

This is where my wife is. We had a rough go of it after our 2nd and had both finally come up for air enough to talk about a third. That conversation is done, barring we move or the laws change. 

We are both doing well at work, but actively talking about leaving if we can find the right situation. Austin always felt like home. Fucking assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, Viking said:

sorry to hear this. I am sure this sucks for your family. 

Not shocking though. I feel for Texans because you live in the main state for GQP'ers. Its the image of Texas to these people (nationally) that will have them fight tooth and nail, cheat the elections, and what have you. I just don't see a good way out of it for Texans in any actual democratic sense. I think the fact that its purple is also actively working against you too. But just my two cents on this no nuke friday

7Czz.gif

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

"None of us are guaranteed tomorrow.  We must accept death as a consequence of life."

How does that not apply to fetuses?

Fucking this. It's why I said earlier that fetus existence, and not even viability, is deemed superior to any rights a breathing woman has. This has gotten to an absurd extreme quickly, and should alert everyone to the fact there is no limit the R's won't reach for.  The "they won't come for me" aphorism re: Nazi Germany is entirely in play.

• Hook 'Em 1

Christians-  “we must not allow any abortion, even in cases of rape, incest, or no viable fetus because the bible says all life is supremely precious!”

genesis 22: Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."

Christians-  “well…post born, non-white kids are different!”

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Christians-  “we must not allow any abortion, even in cases of rape, incest, or no viable fetus because the bible says all life is supremely precious!”

genesis 22: Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."

Christians-  “well…post born, non-white kids are different!”

Mfw Numbers 5 gives a prescription for abortion

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers 5%3A11-31&version=NIV

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

The worst fucking people.

Both amendments were defeated. But in both cases the majority of Republicans voted for them. As it stands right now, though, the exceptions for rape and incest only last through the 10th week of pregnancy. A proposal to extend that to 20 weeks was defeated.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2022/08/04/indiana-abortion-ban-law-house-republicans-tried-removing-rape-incest-exceptions/65391546007/

• Rage+1 1

This has absolutely nothing to do with life.  It has everything to do with control and returning women to their proper place as nothing more than property.  The white man will do whatever it takes to stay in power.  Ole, white men, especially the kind that tend to be elected to state and federal government, need to go the way of the dodo.  We need representative government that looks like the population of this country, which means it is a majority female, and much more diverse than it currently is.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with life.  It has everything to do with control and returning women to their proper place as nothing more than property. 

As was pointed out upthread, the result and analysis of the recent vote in Kansas did not go unnoticed and Repeal the 19th has been on an upswing on twitter (some accounts look rather bottish, but others are verified).

If it is gaining traction on the Twit, one can expect a threefold push on Gab with its right-wing leaning membership. I have too much work today to dig around on that, but it aligns with what I was noticing in conservative forums, etc with others gleefully chiming in on desired voting restrictions that included only property and/or home owners, people who paid more in taxes than they took out, and so on.

Talk about handing the upperclass the whip with which to beat you. Sigh.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with life.  It has everything to do with control and returning women to their proper place as nothing more than property.  The white man will do whatever it takes to stay in power.  Ole, white men, especially the kind that tend to be elected to state and federal government, need to go the way of the dodo.  We need representative government that looks like the population of this country, which means it is a majority female, and much more diverse than it currently is.

4B68A2BC-A441-49E0-87F2-06421D11B090.thumb.jpeg.da238b2c3730f50d12247e75b5afb3ea.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

As was pointed out upthread, the result and analysis of the recent vote in Kansas did not go unnoticed and Repeal the 19th has been on an upswing on twitter (some accounts look rather bottish, but others are verified).

If it is gaining traction on the Twit, one can expect a threefold push on Gab with its right-wing leaning membership. I have too much work today to dig around on that, but it aligns with what I was noticing in conservative forums, etc with others gleefully chiming in on desired voting restrictions that included only property and/or home owners, people who paid more in taxes than they took out, and so on.

Talk about handing the upperclass the whip with which to beat you. Sigh.

If it was based on taxes paid in vs amount received, a lot of olds wouldn’t be eligible to vote.  

• Fuck You 1

Just an aside, I think that the people who want all abortion outlawed no matter what (read: Evangelicals) don't understand how pregnancy works or medicine in general.  Neither do I, but I damn well know that doctors and women know better than I do.  I'm just stunned that these morons walk amongst us.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just an aside, I think that the people who want all abortion outlawed no matter what (read: Evangelicals) don't understand how pregnancy works or medicine in general.  Neither do I, but I damn well know that doctors and women know better than I do.  I'm just stunned that these morons walk amongst us.

Why are you stunned?  These are the same people who think we should buy Greenland, you should drink Clorox to prevent Covid, and windmills cause cancer.  And now they're making medical decisions for the rest of us.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1