Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Good lord.  That sounds borderline illegal, and definitely Karens unhinged.

Best part was the old CEO never paid and nobody ever said shit to him, but a poor part-timer making $15/hr that started last week was fresh meat.

My favorite story with him was Christmas time when the CEO's assistant came around asking for donations to give the CEO a Christmas gift. My first year I thought it was a joke, but sure enough it was real. Man I'm glad that asshole retired.

Edited by SimonBolivar

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

At least pick 3 unrelated, demographically-diverse charities so people who don't want to donate to Care-Net don't "have" to just to wear jeans.  Habitat for Humanity, Red Cross, whatever.

Lol this is non Houston-DFW-Austin-San Antonio Texas man. It was met with boisterous applause and demographically-diverse charities sounds like some liberal bull to me. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

At least pick 3 unrelated, demographically-diverse charities so people who don't want to donate to Care-Net don't "have" to just to wear jeans.  Habitat for Humanity, Red Cross, whatever.

Mobile Loaves and Fishes \tampons.

I used to think socks were their greatest non-food need, then my daughters learned me.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/01/politics/cvs-walgreens-medication-abortion-republicans/index.html

Republican attorneys general from 20 states wrote letters to executives at CVS and Walgreens warning the pharmacy chains against using the mail to dispense abortion pills in their states, in a shot against a new Biden administration policy.

The letters rebuke recent guidance from the Justice Department – issued in an opinion from the DOJ’s Office of Legal Counsel – that concluded the federal law did not prohibit the mailing of abortion pills. The release of the Justice Department opinion came ahead of the rollout of new rules from the Food and Drug Administration allowing certified pharmacies to dispense medication abortion with a prescription, including by mail order.

Paxton signed off on it, because of course.

https://ago.mo.gov/docs/default-source/press-releases/2023-02-01-fda-rule---walgreens-letter-danielle-gray.pdf?sfvrsn=ff1e6652_2

Kansas, Arkansas, and West Virginia going after fertility clinics, whether they intended to or not (my guess is that the dumbasses are).

I expect Texas to do the same, in case DeSantis tries to do this, Abbott can beat him to the punch.

https://jezebel.com/in-vitro-fertilization-is-in-trouble-as-3-states-try-to-1850089683

After months of top Republicans getting caught on hot mic whispering about plans to police in vitro fertilization, or straight-up saying it, there’s a growing wave of bills in state legislatures taking more direct aim at the process. 

Kansas’ legislature on Tuesday advanced a bill that would establish a new crime of “unlawful destruction of a fertilized embryo.” An Arkansas lawmaker introduced a bill that would legally define personhood at fertilization and allow someone to be prosecuted for “wrongful death” of an embryo. West Virginia Republicans have introduced bills that would allow civil lawsuits for loss of an embryo was as a result of “negligence.”

• Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Kansas, Arkansas, and West Virginia going after fertility clinics, whether they intended to or not (my guess is that the dumbasses are).

I expect Texas to do the same, in case DeSantis tries to do this, Abbott can beat him to the punch.

https://jezebel.com/in-vitro-fertilization-is-in-trouble-as-3-states-try-to-1850089683

I hope Abortion is finally the fucking nail in the Republican Party.  Fuck all these fucks.  The democrats need to get grass roots orgs going a la Stacey Abrams in Georgia to get a lot of these fucksticks out, escpecially at the local and state levels.  Complacency gets you the New York shitshow.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/9/2023 at 4:16 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I hope Abortion is finally the fucking nail in the Republican Party.  Fuck all these fucks.  The democrats need to get grass roots orgs going a la Stacey Abrams in Georgia to get a lot of these fucksticks out, escpecially at the local and state levels.  Complacency gets you the New York shitshow.

This thread dropped off the front page, but Paxton doesn't want you to forget, and he's trying to interfere in interstate commerce.

https://www.kxan.com/news/political-news/paxton-joins-other-ags-warning-walgreens-cvs-against-mailed-abortion-pills/

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has joined 19 other state attorneys general in warning Walgreens and CVS against mailable abortion pills.

According to a press release from his office, Paxton joined two Missouri-led multistate letters sent to the pharmacy retail chains over their decision to seek approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to use the mail to sell abortion pills. The release was dated Feb. 14, but both letters are dated Feb. 1.

CVS and Walgreens both recently made announcements about their willingness to obtain and sell abortion pills via mail, according to the release. 

The letters claim the companies’ decision is at odds with federal law and many states’ laws that ban abortion pills from being distributed through the mail. 

In Texas, a legal battle over an abortion pill is already underway.

A decision on whether to reverse an FDA approval of mifepristone, a pill used to end pregnancies, was pushed back until at least Feb. 24. The decision, which some previously expected to come as soon as last week, could affect access to the medication across the country. 

Lawyers from the Alliance for Defending Freedom, a conservative, Christian legal advocacy group, filed a lawsuit on Nov. 18 in an Amarillo federal court on behalf of four anti-abortion plaintiffs.  

Texas District Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk could side with the plaintiffs and grant an emergency injunction forcing the FDA to revoke its approval of mifepristone. Abortion advocates said this would pull the drug from the market and effectively initiate a nationwide ban on the medication. 

"Defending Freedom"

This is not the first time lawmakers have targeted such medication.

In 2021, Texas lawmakers passed two new laws restricting abortion: one banning abortion once fetal cardiac activity is detected (usually around six weeks into a pregnancy) and the other banning abortion medication being delivered through the mail. But, neither managed to stop online abortion pill providers from delivering abortion medication to those who want it in Texas.

The letter to CVS states that federal law already prohibits using mail to send or receive any drug that will ‘be used or applied for producing abortion.’ However, the FDA finalized a rule in January that broadens the availability of abortion pills to many more pharmacies, including large chains and mail-order companies.

The Biden administration partially implemented the change last year, announcing it would no longer enforce a long-standing requirement that women pick up the medicine in person.

The letters also claim that abortion pills are “dangerous” and can “invite the horror of an increase in coerced abortions.” 

David Donatti, a staff attorney for ACLU Texas, said mifepristone is now used in about half of all abortions executed in the U.S. and has had a stellar safety record in its decades of active use. He said mifepristone is considered to be as safe as Tylenol.

• Rage+1 2

Some surprising numbers when breaking down by state (e.g., more in Colorado support the overturning of Roe than South Carolina), but large majority of Americans want abortion to be safe and legal. 

B042D99D-0126-49DC-A1C5-82DEAE4B7C92.thumb.jpeg.bd67c10c7066acf0f84dd40d72478d48.jpeg

https://www.prri.org/research/abortion-attitudes-in-a-post-roe-world-findings-from-the-50-state-2022-american-values-atlas/

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Pain and suffering and inhumanity? R trifecta.

Second and third sentences in the article:

"When Roe v. Wade was overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court, and Florida banned abortions after 15 weeks, she did not think it would affect her.

“Never thought I would be stuck right in the middle of it, the laws changing,” she said.

I have some sympathy for her, but not much.

When one does not vote or votes with the 'it won't happen to me' crowd, empathy is in shorter supply for all citizens and one reaps the consequences.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Second and third sentences in the article:

"When Roe v. Wade was overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court, and Florida banned abortions after 15 weeks, she did not think it would affect her.

“Never thought I would be stuck right in the middle of it, the laws changing,” she said.

I have some sympathy for her, but not much.

When one does not vote or votes with the 'it won't happen to me' crowd, empathy is in shorter supply for all citizens and one reaps the consequences.

Do we know how she voted?  Or didn't?

• Hook 'Em 2

This map shows what the GOP theocracy and patriarchy are doing in America. The minority are imposing their Biblical edicts on the rest of society, especially women by overturning Roe. This is what happens when, across decades, no educational or media institutions stand up the the anti-science idiocy spewing out of the evangelical-creationist-fundamentalist pews, pulpits, and Christian law schools. Of course, their views are protected by the First Amendment, but freedom of thought does not mean freedom from critique or freedom from rejection.

Anyone who thinks the they will not gain more power is naive, the theocrats already own the Supreme Court. 

USTheocracy.jpeg

• Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

This map shows what the GOP theocracy and patriarchy are doing in America. The minority are imposing their Biblical edicts on the rest of society, especially women by overturning Roe. This is what happens when, across decades, no educational or media institutions stand up the the anti-science idiocy spewing out of the evangelical-creationist-fundamentalist pews, pulpits, and Christian law schools. Of course, their views are protected by the First Amendment, but freedom of thought does not mean freedom from critique or freedom from rejection.

Anyone who thinks the they will not gain more power is naive, the theocrats already own the Supreme Court. 

USTheocracy.jpeg

These are the “waiting for them to choose a uniform” days, says Marc Maron.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Spellfucked
  • Rage+1 1

It’s just a matter of time until a woman dies giving birth to a nonviable fetus. I just hope it’s the spouse or daughter of one of these nut job legislators 

Bingo.
We also know that a certain number of women are going to get raped and get pregnant as well. It’s a statistical certainty. I just hope for one thing: the wild statistical outcome that every such woman ends up being the wife or daughter of a GQP official. Like DeSantis’s daughters. It’s going to happen to some women, the universe might as well make sure they’re the women it happens to.
The GQP want to visit cruelty on others. I wish for the exact volume of cruelty they have created, I just want it all visited on them.

Bingo.
We also know that a certain number of women are going to get raped and get pregnant as well. It’s a statistical certainty. I just hope for one thing: the wild statistical outcome that every such woman ends up being the wife or daughter of a GQP official. Like DeSantis’s daughters. It’s going to happen to some women, the universe might as well make sure they’re the women it happens to.
The GQP want to visit cruelty on others. I wish for the exact volume of cruelty they have created, I just want it all visited on them.

It won’t. Desantis would send them to a godless immoral hellish blue state where they’d get their abortions.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

No, admittedly we don’t. However, her statement implies a naïveté or perhaps disgruntlement that might indicate one of the two I mentioned wouldn’t you think?

I suspect she never expected an abortion law to affect her because she wanted to have the baby.  There is nothing in that article that indicates she votes for pro-life candidates or that she is indifferent to women who might want to terminate their pregnancies.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I suspect she never expected an abortion law to affect her because she wanted to have the baby.  There is nothing in that article that indicates she votes for pro-life candidates or that she is indifferent to women who might want to terminate their pregnancies.

Yes and no. When she spoke to WaPo for their article on the story (linked in the tv article), this was her comment so I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that was a case of her eyes being opened:

Deborah didn’t pay much attention to the laws when they were enacted, never believing she would want an abortion. But that has changed.

“It makes me angry, for politicians to decide what’s best for my health,” she said.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. If a woman wants a pregnancy to go full term but never considers those laws surrounding abortion and how they are changing, how is that not indifferent to other pregnant women?

I'm not gonna die on this hill, but those laws were enacted by sitting politicians.  She had no say in the matter.  I have no say in the matter here in Texas (other than I don't vote for pro-life types in general).  Maybe her statements indicate indifference, maybe it's just a bad way of saying "I never though a ban on abortions would affect me personally", I don't know.  Whatever, I'm sure we can agree that the whole thing stinks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pacman said:

Yep, he clearly sounds like he's been waiting for a case like this his whole life.  His sister (in the pictureI believe, she got pregnant as a teen, but gave it up for adoption, which apparently shaped him into the anti-abortion person that he is) made it clear that "this is where he needs to be" or whatever crap the anti-abortion crowd believes.

And if he rules against the pill, that means that he is stopping over half the legal abortions in the US, including states that allow it.

AA17VmdT.img?w=768&h=593&m=6&x=268&y=142

• Rage+1 1

Just so we are clear, this is not about him making it easier for red states to ban abortion, this is about banning an abortion medication for everybody.

This judge is the abortion movement's poster boy - he will ban the drug.

The judge, nominated by President Trump and confirmed in 2019, will soon rule on a lawsuit seeking to revoke U.S. government approval of mifepristone, a key abortion medication. That outcome could, at least temporarily, halt over half the legal abortions carried out across the country, including in states led by Democrats where abortion rights are protected. 

While many experts have said the case relies on baseless medical claims, it is Kacsmaryk’s role as presiding judge that has the abortion rights movement bracing for another crippling defeat. 

The abortion pills lawsuit, which Kacsmaryk could rule on any day, is the latest in a long line of politically explosive cases to appear on the judge’s docket. In a practice known as “forum shopping,” conservative groups have zeroed in on the Amarillo division of the Northern District of Texas as a go-to place to challenge a wide range of Biden administration policies. Because Amarillo is a federal district with a single judge, plaintiffs know their arguments will be heard by Kacsmaryk — who, like any federal judge, is positioned to issue rulings with nationwide implications. 

Appeals from Kacsmaryk’s district follow a path that has regularly yielded favorable outcomes for conservatives — reviewed first by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, which upheld a strict Texas abortion ban long before Roe v. Wade was overturned, then ultimately by the conservative-controlled Supreme Court.

• Rage+1 1

50 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

How would the 5th circuit support jurisdiction in that venue, and standing by the plaintiffs? Though it seems like standing isn't even a thing anymore, even for SCOTUS 

Had to check venue statutes, 28 USC 1391(e)

A civil action in which a defendant is an officer or employee of the United States or any agency thereof acting in his official capacity or under color of legal authority, or an agency of the United States, or the United States, may, except as otherwise provided by law, be brought in any judicial district in which (A) a defendant in the action resides, (B) a substantial part of the events or omissions giving rise to the claim occurred, or a substantial part of property that is the subject of the action is situated, or (C) the plaintiff resides if no real property is involved in the action..

I assume federal agencies are amenable to personal jurisdiction anywhere in the US.

Dunno bout standing. It don't make no sense.