Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

Just now, Goofyboy said:

He’s not voting. He’s already stated that. Just up thread he said Brisket basically convinced him. It’s about the best we can do for some. My father is one that will not vote democrat. He’s old (88?). The best I’ve gotten him to do is quit voting.

Yeah I bet a few red fish on the fly rod and some beers over multiple trips I could convince him to vote. He’s not as far off as y’all  think. We all hate this place - believe me I hate the CR - but the truth is we all earned our positions through the hard work of posting bullshit here for 20 years. He’s not that far off. He’s a dad of daughters, he’s a decent guy, he’s friends with the trans woman here. I’m telling you he’s the guy we need, brisket was that guy a bunch of years ago, others of you who were conservative when the marriage debate was raging. A lot of you were but my taxes for decades. Give the guy a chance to work it out. Yeah it’s sort of too late but really it’s never too late.

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Can I still abstain? Serious question.  Brisket told me I could, then I got there mentally, then was accosted again (by others)  The trump side of the Rs make disgust me, but I still disagree with roughly 80% of the shit I hear non-centrists D float out there. 

One day maybe. Right now I honestly don’t think so. I would LOVE to one day have the privilege to consider voting Republican but not only does my queer ass not have that privilege I honestly and sincerely as a human, a lawyer, a Texan and outdoorswoman and a parent of three ostensibly straight cisgender boys can’t see how me or any of us have the privilege to sit this one or the next few out. It’s a grave grave crisis right now. 

2 minutes ago, troph said:

One day maybe. Right now I honestly don’t think so. I would LOVE to one day have the privilege to consider voting Republican but not only does my queer ass not have that privilege I honestly and sincerely as a human, a lawyer, a Texan and outdoorswoman and a parent of three ostensibly straight cisgender boys can’t see how me or any of us have the privilege to sit this one or the next few out. It’s a grave grave crisis right now. 

Yeah I don’t even know how you do it. Fortunate enough to have earned the means to leave if you need, but still bullshit you want/have to.  Absolute bullshit. I’m not old enough to remember if politicians have always been this fucked. I assume they haven’t, but it’s been a dirty word for a long time.  We have more people everyday, you’d think we’d have some better choices.   I still think we should have at least 2-3 surlites running at any given time.  There’s a dozen here I’d vote for tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I don’t even know how you do it. Fortunate enough to have earned the means to leave if you need, but still bullshit you want/have to.  Absolute bullshit. I’m not old enough to remember if politicians have always been this fucked. I assume they haven’t, but it’s been a dirty word for a long time.  We have more people everyday, you’d think we’d have some better choices.   I still think we should have at least 2-3 surlites running at any given time.  There’s a dozen here I’d vote for tomorrow. 

I accept your nomination. Errr, I am one of them, right? I'll govern just like Sack, I pinky swear!

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Can I still abstain? Serious question.  Brisket told me I could, then I got there mentally, then was accosted again (by others)  The trump side of the Rs make disgust me, but I still disagree with roughly 80% of the shit I hear non-centrists D float out there. 

We all have to help put the house fire out. We can get back to arguing about furnishings and decor after that. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I, for one, am curious about what those things are. I will spot you higher taxes. 

14 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I accept your nomination. Errr, I am one of them, right? I'll govern just like Sack, I pinky swear!

I was thinking @TwiceHorn, @troph, @bad_teammate@Bozo_Casanova and @Ghost of LL  oh and brew.  I fully understand they aren’t all on same wavelength. But most all of them seem level headed.  I’d throw @Brisketexan in there too if y’all can medicate him back to ‘16 version.    

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

E737sSdWEAEtppu.jpg

Completely fair.  I don’t have to be the smartest guy in the room, or prophet. I’m guessing I’m not the only one who didn’t realize what the court had become, or that they’d lost all composure. Maybe I am, but I doubt it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think you are misreading what I wrote. Wrapping your head around spending 25k on a watch is different from not being able to do it.  I’m upset because it’s going to take a few more years to have a place on coast and in ski country.  

And a 1 million dollar boat plus 200k a year in operating costs on just That boat. Boo fucking Hoo.

Can I get a ride on said boat?
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I was thinking @TwiceHorn, @troph, @bad_teammate@Bozo_Casanova and @Ghost of LL  oh and brew.  I fully understand they aren’t all on same wavelength. But most all of them seem level headed.  I’d throw @Brisketexan in there too if y’all can medicate him back to ‘16 version.    

Everyone of us you mentioned votes Dem right now without any hesitation. And with the exception of possibly bad teammate we all voted reliably Republican for years I suspect (I could be wrong).

you’ve been voting for Republican in name only the last few cycles and now you need to vote against them because they are that bad for humans. I’m not being a whackadoo fringe queer liberal. They are objectively dangerous to people and democracy. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Completely fair.  I don’t have to be the smartest guy in the room, or prophet. I’m guessing I’m not the only one who didn’t realize what the court had become, or that they’d lost all composure. Maybe I am, but I doubt it. 

You know now, you are without excuse, we all are without excuse. Forgiveness is still available but not after November, it’s that bad my brother. And to be honest it’s at least 2-3 cycles to right this ship simply back to the middle. 

Edited by troph

I was thinking [mention=248]TwiceHorn[/mention], [mention=93]troph[/mention], [mention=880]bad_teammate[/mention][mention=1259]Bozo_Casanova[/mention] and [mention=656]Ghost of LL[/mention]  oh and brew.  I fully understand they aren’t all on same wavelength. But most all of them seem level headed.  I’d throw [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] in there too if y’all can medicate him back to ‘16 version.    

Sorry, all those flights on Epstein’s plane probably DQ me. Or totally qualify me, I can’t figure out which.

Oh, and the 2016 me….the guy who said repeatedly “holy fuck you fucking guys are really going to elect that clown and destroy the republic, what the fuck is wrong with you?!?!” That version of me? Yeah, fuck that. I prefer the 2020 version of me…ready to play the game the GQP has decided we’re playing. You can’t defeat the devil without becoming a demon yourself. A shitty, but absolute, truth.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Everyone has goals, and it’s not any type of brag. I just want to retire early and have hobbies (and becoming less tolerant of heat). That used to be a thing, having financial goals. I have a feeling it still is, but internet righteousness is the new cool. Fuck Abbott y’all!  I’d rather have less security than have that shitbag in office. Wheelchair pun. 
I have the same goals, but my vote doesn't fuck over others and pull up the ladder behind me. I've given up on owning a large offshore boat. I could hustle it out, but I'd rather see my kid and partner now, while working a reasonable load ethically. And still retire as early as I can and just do other shit with a far cheaper annual nut.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

Everyone of us you mentioned votes Dem right now without any hesitation. And with the exception of possibly bad teammate we all voted reliably Republican for years I suspect (I could be wrong).

I know.  And I left him in there even though he seems much more progressive than the rest because he’s been that way the whole time.  

2 minutes ago, troph said:

you’ve been voting for Republican in name only the last few cycles and now you need to vote against them because they are that bad for humans. I’m not being a whackadoo fringe queer liberal. They are objectively dangerous to people and democracy. 

For prosperity’s sake, I didn’t vote for Trump in ‘20. I was out of town.  

3 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

I could hustle it out, but I'd rather see my kid and partner now, while working a reasonable load ethically. And still retire as early as I can and just do other shit with a far cheaper annual nut.

Logical. 

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, and the 2016 me….the guy who said repeatedly “holy fuck you fucking guys are really going to elect that clown and destroy the republic, what the fuck is wrong with you?!?!” That version of me?

Fine then. ‘12 version. 

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I know.  And I left him in there even though he seems much more progressive than the rest because he’s been that way the whole time.  

For prosperity’s sake, I didn’t vote for Trump in ‘20. I was out of town.  

No, but you voted for him in 2016.  Did you vote for Ted Cruz in 2018?  

Your vote in 2016 led to 51.5% of Americans’ rights being taken away from them.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Fine then. ‘12 version. 

The one who’d figured out a coupla years before that electing a black man absolutely broke y’all’s fucking brains?
You’re gonna have to go back a long damn time to find a version of me you’d like…and that version of Brisket would be a naive and blind dumbass who had WAY too much faith in people and our institutions. He was a fucking idiot.

44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You’re gonna have to go back a long damn time to find a version of me you’d like…

I like you fine now. I worry about your blood pressure sometimes.  

48 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Your vote in 2016 led to 51.5% of Americans’ rights being taken away from them.  

Eh. That’s akin to saying your vote for W lead to the 200 veteran suicides we see everyday.  

• Like 1

Eh. That’s akin to saying your vote for W lead to the 200 veteran suicides we see everyday.  

That would also be fair. I voted for W. Mea culpa. There’s a whole lotta shit I’ve done in my life that was wrong, and for which I bear responsibility and guilt. All I can do now is try to do right each day that comes.
  • Hook 'Em 1

If I ever achieve that goal, you fucking bet. I’ll even bring the whiskey. 
Deal, fucker. I'll sink your boat with live bait. A nice 6" piggie will catch a sow snapper. A fat ass 10" croaker or piggie will get tackle tested on a rig donkey. A bucket of shiny porgies will get fed tuna feeding again. I caught a white on a lonely ass undersized hardtail once bump trolling for Ajs. I have few talents, but making bait is one.

It’s always a real head snapper to read “I want a stupid boat and that’s more important than your right to control your own body. Oh well, good luck!”.

I do appreciate assholes who clearly mark themselves as such. Makes them easier to avoid.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 2

That would also be fair. I voted for W. Mea culpa. There’s a whole lotta shit I’ve done in my life that was wrong, and for which I bear responsibility and guilt. All I can do now is try to do right each day that comes.

Same. Guilty, trying to right that wrong.

It’s always a real head snapper to read “I want a stupid boat and that’s more important than your right to control your own body. Oh well, good luck!”.

I do appreciate assholes who clearly mark themselves as such. Makes them easier to avoid.
Nothing stupid about that boat, but your point stands. It's really shitty voting to take rights away from others, including over half the population, just so you can land favorable taxes or a work environment to own a yacht, and being upset that said purchase might be delayed a few years by the "opposition" which is also largely rich white moderates as well. It's just too much to ask to maybe take a minor tax hit to resolve inequities, or a gun registration inconvenience to save a few lives, or basic women's rights. That's radical left shit...

54 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Saving for a boat and and buying a 25k watch kicks you out of the inflation shit posting.

You’d think it would not be too difficult to learn from @fattyflattie, or from @Poe It Up, the answer to my simple question. Truth be told, I think I flummoxed them both.

Edited by Willfully Horn

5 hours ago, troph said:

Jesus Christ. I’m sorry I’m the trans woman here one of them anyway, remember when y’all had no idea we were here, those were the days. Look, I get being mad at Republican voters - there is no single justification for voting for Trump that makes any sense. But to rail on someone for being selfish for being concerned about his career while you consume the very thing his industry provides is pretty damn hypocritical. 

that is not the reason to criticize fatty. It’s completely disingenuous. I do think he’s overly concerned about democrats impact on his industry - it isn’t going anywhere in the next 20 years. However January 6th is reason to criticize. The Supreme Court is reason to criticize. And as for climate change AOC is absolutely correct, we will have to buy out the workers in O&G with good jobs / training / all of it as it winds down, it’s the only way.  To ignore that is also naive and worthy of criticism. 

Don’t you work in the O&G industry? I’ve seen a lot of posters on this board suggest that workers in the “Rust Belt” who lost their jobs when the steel mills closed should just move somewhere else and find another job. Easy peasy. I figure it works both ways. If someone else gets a job as a tech on a wind farm while someone working on an oil rig winds up waiting tables, what do I care? It all evens out. Just learn new skills and move to where the jobs are, right?

The GOP is going to raise your taxes. Rick Scott laid it out in his plans. They want to raise taxes on the middle class. The “but my taxes” issue
Is going out the window.

Trump and the Republicans lowered your taxes for two or three years and they have gone or will go back up. They permanently cut taxes on the wealthiest 1%.

Your taxes are going up in Texas under 20 years of Republican control and they can’t keep the lights on.

We have an AG in Texas that wants to enforce sodomy laws. He won’t stop there. Remember, there is no bottom (ha!).

What more does it take to get Republicans to see they are absolutely being played??

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

The GOP is going to raise your taxes. Rick Scott laid it out in his plans. They want to raise taxes on the middle class. The “but my taxes” issue
Is going out the window.

Trump and the Republicans lowered your taxes for two or three years and they have gone or will go back up. They permanently cut taxes on the wealthiest 1%.

Your taxes are going up in Texas under 20 years of Republican control and they can’t keep the lights on.

We have an AG in Texas that wants to enforce sodomy laws. He won’t stop there. Remember, there is no bottom (ha!).

What more does it take to get Republicans to see they are absolutely being played??

And that’s always been their game. When they talk about “taxes!!!!” they’re talking about taxes for the very wealthiest among us. Like you say, it’s true the rest of us may get some sort of cut but it’s never permanent and is always bound to go up (and that’s not even the real issue anyways but thats a separate discussion).

It’s a classic game of bait-and-switch. And based on who those dipshits are, i.e. whores for wealthy people and corporations, that’s how it has to be done. They can’t run a campaign on “cut rich peoples taxes, raise everyone else’s.” If they did that, they’d never win. They can’t win elections if only their actual constituencies voted for them.

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

It takes getting them to judge by what Republican politicians actually do instead of what they say. What they say sounds great. But it isn’t what they do. It’s baffling that their voters can’t see it. But when they get all their news from a Republican propaganda network, how would they know?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, troph said:

Y’all are debating 1990s voting motivations, just stop. No justification. Suspend the taxes versus culture shit - we left that debate in 2012 on her emails. 

insurrection.

coup attempt.

my body my right.

privacy. 

the right to marry.

the right to birth control.

the right to exist.

the right to be safe from a gun massacre.

human decency.

Burning the natural world to the ground.

either you are for or you are against. All of those issues there is a right side and a wrong side. It’s pretty simple. Stop debating old debates. There is no I vote against those things because of ______. There is only I vote for or against as those are the ONLY issues that matter right now. 

This is where I am along with Bolverk’s thoughts a little further up. I switched to D when it was clear Trump was going to be the nominee and shot was going to go off the rails. It has been nothing but reinforced sense. I line up with plenty of old R agenda items, but these take precedence right now. My two girls and the country they grow up in is more important than paying less tax, retiring early, access to firearms, and all of the other 1990’s era talking points. I would even say I’m pro life in a discussion, but legislatively pro choice is the only thing that makes sense. Their future is so important we’re looking at walking away from the state they call home because of how much their rights are being infringed upon.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, pacman said:

Nothing says American Healthcare more than physicians having to consult lawyers before they try to save a pregnant woman's life.

Correct.  When -- in many jurisdictions -- the "test" for whether an abortion procedure was necessary for the life or health of the mother is going to impose the same burden as asserting a defense of self-defense after being charged with a crime....that's beyond fucked up.  Yet, here we are.

If I was advising a physician in such a jurisdiction, I would honestly advise him that unless it was an immediate, no-doubt, "if she doesn't get this procedure in the next 10 minutes, she will die" sort of scenario, he should not perform any such procedures, even if his clear medical judgment tells him they are necessary.  Because his clear medical judgment will mean precisely nothing when some asshole like Ken Paxton wants to score some political points by showing how super-duper "pro-life" anti-libtard he is, and prosecutes him just for the headlines.

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

life).  I even spoke a bit when it was overturned about my wife’s (unexpected to me) visceral reaction.

Can you link that post or go back over it? I recall you posting she was staunchly pro keeping as much of y’all’s money as possible as her primary voting criterion in exchanges we have had in the past. What are her thoughts now?

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Correct.  When -- in many jurisdictions -- the "test" for whether an abortion procedure was necessary for the life or health of the mother is going to impose the same burden as asserting a defense of self-defense after being charged with a crime....that's beyond fucked up.  Yet, here we are.

If I was advising a physician in such a jurisdiction, I would honestly advise him that unless it was an immediate, no-doubt, "if she doesn't get this procedure in the next 10 minutes, she will die" sort of scenario, he should not perform any such procedures, even if his clear medical judgment tells him they are necessary.  Because his clear medical judgment will mean precisely nothing when some asshole like Ken Paxton wants to score some political points by showing how super-duper "pro-life" anti-libtard he is, and prosecutes him just for the headlines.

I can’t imagine having to wait until a patient’s life is actually in jeopardy to begin an intervention, especially when a foreseeable problem can be easily resolved in an elective setting, and still worried that I will have to spend thousands of dollars defending the intervention because of some idiot MAGA prosecutor. Not to mention the stress of a legal proceeding that could cost me my license, livelihood, or even my freedom. Someone should post the Fuckhead Attorney General of Missouri’s legal opinion on how they are going to address the situation is. Too long don’t read version is, they are going to fucking prosecute doctors

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Then when the mother dies because of inaction, you get a malpractice suit filed against you. All the practices in our area are going with a business as usual approach and making sure their documentation is sound and they have concurring physician sign off for now. That includes the ultra pro life Catholic doctor of one the groups and the ultra R one in another group. Their beliefs are that these reasons aren’t intended to be caught up in this law which we’ve told them is a pretty naive view. Attorneys are all recommending that they go ahead and petition the court for every scenario they can come up with which is what I think a few groups are going to band together and do.

It’s an f-ed up situation. Some doctors are going to get caught up in it and hung out to dry and potential mothers are going to needlessly suffer in those states that are taking an all or nothing approach. RvW is driving the issue, but state legislature passed trigger laws are the problem that has to be deal with right this moment. The idiots that passed some of them have no idea of the medical consequence of some of those decisions based on what is starting to trickle out now.

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Brew said:

Then when the mother dies because of inaction, you get a malpractice suit filed against you. All the practices in our area are going with a business as usual approach and making sure their documentation is sound and they have concurring physician sign off for now. That includes the ultra pro life Catholic doctor of one the groups and the ultra R one in another group. Their beliefs are that these reasons aren’t intended to be caught up in this law which we’ve told them is a pretty naive view. Attorneys are all recommending that they go ahead and petition the court for every scenario they can come up with which is what I think a few groups are going to band together and do.

It’s an f-ed up situation. Some doctors are going to get caught up in it and hung out to dry and potential mothers are going to needlessly suffer in those states that are taking an all or nothing approach. RvW is driving the issue, but state legislature passed trigger laws are the problem that has to be deal with right this moment. The idiots that passed some of them have no idea of the medical consequence of some of those decisions based on what is starting to trickle out now.

wait, you're telling me that ken paxton, dade phelan, dan patrick, and briscoe cain are not the ideal people to be designing health care procedural guidelines?

• Like 1

SIAP

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/texas-state-funded-crisis-pregnancy-centers-gave-medical-misinformatio-rcna34883

Across the U.S., more than 2,500 crisis pregnancy centers (CPCs) provide free services and counseling for women struggling with unplanned pregnancies. They outnumber abortion clinics 3 to 1 nationwide, and as some states shutter clinics after Roe’s reversal, that ratio will grow. 

But when two NBC News producers visited state-funded CPCs in Texas to ask for counseling, counselors told them that abortions caused mental illness and implied abortions could also cause cancer and infertility.

The nation’s largest national obstetricians’ group, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, says that’s medical misinformation.

The centers, which are often faith-based, frequently get funding from religious groups and individual donors, but many also depend partly on taxpayer dollars. CPCs have long been accused of providing what experts have called “misleading or false” information to discourage women from getting abortions, as NBC News witnessed firsthand after sending two producers to CPCs in Texas to request pregnancy counseling.

The producers did not tell the CPCs they were with NBC News.

• Rage+1 1