Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

So Texas Freedom Caucus going after Sidley, an AMLAW 10 law firm with a significant Texas presence.  I presume Texas based law firms won't be so bold, but will be interested to see what the other AMLAW 50 firms with Texas presences do.  I presume all of this legislation gets passed.

https://www.freedomfortexas.com/blog/post/letter-to-texas-law-firm-procuring-abortions

My understanding is that V & E announced today that it would pay for the travel cost associated with seeking abortions.

So…I’m not sure that big firms give a fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea no shit. What does it actually do?

16 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Nothing

Glad I'm not the only one that read it this way.  That's some mealy-mouthed bullshit.  What do the resident ladies think?  Seems like an incredibly weak gesture to me.  Maybe they can't really do anything, I'm not sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

I can't imagine the stress & anxiety it will cause in women who have no choice but to go to their employer for the travel $ to get an abortion.  "Hey, HR -- can i tell you something in confidence?"

This country is FUCKED>

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Fascists and religious extremists never wanted women outside of the home from the get go, so making an already difficult situation even more cruel is, per usual, the point.

Women have always worked outside and inside of the home, specifically within certain socioeconomic classes, no matter how much the GOP convinces people otherwise.

Poor, desperate, and cheap to hire makes for a Grapes of Wrath labor pool if I had to guess.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

So Texas Freedom Caucus going after Sidley, an AMLAW 10 law firm with a significant Texas presence.  I presume Texas based law firms won't be so bold, but will be interested to see what the other AMLAW 50 firms with Texas presences do.  I presume all of this legislation gets passed.

https://www.freedomfortexas.com/blog/post/letter-to-texas-law-firm-procuring-abortions

Sidley also promised to fund legal fees for this as well for their employees.  

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/watchdog/2022/07/08/pregnant-woman-says-her-fetus-should-count-as-a-passenger-in-hov-lanes-she-got-a-ticket/

In economics, they call it the law of unintended consequences.

An event ultimately produces an outcome, sometimes negative, that was not expected.

That’s what is happening to Brandy Bottone of Plano, a mother who is 34 weeks into her pregnancy.

On June 29 she was driving on U.S. Highway 75 South and headed to the Interstate 635 West interchange. But she had to slam on the brakes because ... well, I’ll let her tell the story:

“I was driving to pick up my son. I knew I couldn’t be a minute late, so I took the HOV [high-occupancy vehicle] lane. As I exited the HOV, there was a checkpoint at the end of the exit. I slammed on my brakes, and I was pulled over by police.

“An officer peeked in and asked, ‘Is there anybody else in the car?’

“I said, ‘Well, yes.’

“He asked, ‘Where?’

“I pointed to my stomach and said, ‘My baby girl is right here. She is a person.’

“He said, ‘Oh, no. It’s got to be two people outside of the body.’

“One officer kind of brushed me off when I mentioned this is a living child, according to everything that’s going on with the overturning of Roe v. Wade. ‘So I don’t know why you’re not seeing that,’ I said.

“He was like, ‘I don’t want to deal with this.’ He said, ‘Ma’am, it means two persons outside of the body.’

Spoiler

“He waved me on to the next cop who gave me a citation and said, ‘If you fight it, it will most likely get dropped.’

“But they still gave me a ticket. So my $215 ticket was written to cause inconvenience?

“This has my blood boiling. How could this be fair? According to the new law, this is a life.

“I know this may fall on deaf ears, but as a woman, this was shocking.”

This was a Dallas County Sheriff Department’s operation. Representative Raul Reyna told me that it’s not technically a checkpoint because not every driver is stopped. The only vehicles that are stopped are ones where officers can visually see traveling with only one occupant. HOV rules require two passengers.

This particular stop took place where the HOV lane ends at U.S. 75 South near Midpark Road, Reyna said.

The sheriff’s department conducts HOV enforcement on U.S. 75 and also on Interstate 30 under contract with the Texas Department of Transportation.

These checks occur randomly, Reyna said.

The sheriff’s department declined to comment on Bottone’s pregnancy argument.

She says she doesn’t believe the state should have it both ways. If a fetus is considered a life before birth, then why doesn’t that count as a second passenger?

I asked Amy O’Donnell, spokeswoman for Texas Alliance for Life, an anti-abortion group, what she thought of this unusual situation.

She replied, “While the penal code in Texas recognizes an unborn child as a person in our state, the Texas Transportation Code does not specify the same. And a child residing in a mother’s womb is not taking up an extra seat. And with only one occupant taking up a seat, the car did not meet the criteria needed to drive in that lane.”

I also explained the story to Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas, but through a representative, the group declined to comment.

Bottone’s court date is July 20.

“I will be fighting it,” she says.

2RMSHDPSWZBTHNKLPVRXX7TIBI.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/watchdog/2022/07/08/pregnant-woman-says-her-fetus-should-count-as-a-passenger-in-hov-lanes-she-got-a-ticket/

Reveal hidden contents

“He waved me on to the next cop who gave me a citation and said, ‘If you fight it, it will most likely get dropped.’

“But they still gave me a ticket. So my $215 ticket was written to cause inconvenience?

“This has my blood boiling. How could this be fair? According to the new law, this is a life.

“I know this may fall on deaf ears, but as a woman, this was shocking.”

This was a Dallas County Sheriff Department’s operation. Representative Raul Reyna told me that it’s not technically a checkpoint because not every driver is stopped. The only vehicles that are stopped are ones where officers can visually see traveling with only one occupant. HOV rules require two passengers.

This particular stop took place where the HOV lane ends at U.S. 75 South near Midpark Road, Reyna said.

The sheriff’s department conducts HOV enforcement on U.S. 75 and also on Interstate 30 under contract with the Texas Department of Transportation.

These checks occur randomly, Reyna said.

The sheriff’s department declined to comment on Bottone’s pregnancy argument.

She says she doesn’t believe the state should have it both ways. If a fetus is considered a life before birth, then why doesn’t that count as a second passenger?

I asked Amy O’Donnell, spokeswoman for Texas Alliance for Life, an anti-abortion group, what she thought of this unusual situation.

She replied, “While the penal code in Texas recognizes an unborn child as a person in our state, the Texas Transportation Code does not specify the same. And a child residing in a mother’s womb is not taking up an extra seat. And with only one occupant taking up a seat, the car did not meet the criteria needed to drive in that lane.”

I also explained the story to Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas, but through a representative, the group declined to comment.

Bottone’s court date is July 20.

“I will be fighting it,” she says.

2RMSHDPSWZBTHNKLPVRXX7TIBI.jpg

Just saw this story this morning, and came here to post it. 

Radical racist  republicans being hypocritical?  No wai.

Golden State Warriors No GIF by NBA

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Part of the reason we’re working on this project so hard is because wealthy people in our country are always going to have access [to abortions], so once again it’s a time now where poor, people of color, marginalized individuals, are gonna suffer --and by suffering I mean like lives lost," Autry said.

She explained that this ship will operate on federal waters — nine miles from the coast of Texas and three from the coast of Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi — where it can evade those states' abortion restrictions. PRROWESS will arrange for patients to be transported to the ship, which will vary depending on where they are coming from, once they pass a pre-screening process.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/floating-abortion-clinic-meg-autry/2940013/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/8/2022 at 11:37 AM, A-Tex Devil said:

Are they the ones behind the Texas legislature making an attempt to stop Texas women from going out of state for abortions or stopping Texans from getting abortion medication in the Mail?

36 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Are they the ones behind the Texas legislature making an attempt to stop Texas women from going out of state for abortions or stopping Texans from getting abortion medication in the Mail?

All of it, I believe.  

38 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They’re all about freedom for Texans.

On 7/8/2022 at 4:32 PM, henrygandorf said:

here is a long and crazy twitter thread from 2018.  it probably exists someplace on this thread, but i had not seen it.  it's worth the read...

She is ... not wrong. 

here is a long and crazy twitter thread from 2018.  it probably exists someplace on this thread, but i had not seen it.  it's worth the read...

That tweet is a good example of why Twitter should exist. The first two replies are examples why it shouldn’t.

d52656ac4d5b0c0d099e1bfec878800b.jpg

24 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

That tweet is a good example of why Twitter should exist. The first two replies are examples why it shouldn’t.

d52656ac4d5b0c0d099e1bfec878800b.jpg

A Twitter thread in a medium limited to 240 characters per post is not remotely a reason for Twitter to exist. Blogs and op-eds and magazine articles and books existed long before Twitter. Twitter wasn’t designed for long thoughts.

Your second example of why Twitter shouldn’t exist was right on.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

"Part of the reason we’re working on this project so hard is because wealthy people in our country are always going to have access [to abortions], so once again it’s a time now where poor, people of color, marginalized individuals, are gonna suffer --and by suffering I mean like lives lost," Autry said.

She explained that this ship will operate on federal waters — nine miles from the coast of Texas and three from the coast of Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi — where it can evade those states' abortion restrictions. PRROWESS will arrange for patients to be transported to the ship, which will vary depending on where they are coming from, once they pass a pre-screening process.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/floating-abortion-clinic-meg-autry/2940013/

Where would this boat dock?  Go into port at any state on the Gulf of Mexico and I suspect everything will be seized and people arrested.  Just seems easier to travel to a friendly state/nation for a procedure where the operating room is not rocking.

2 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

Where would this boat dock?  Go into port at any state on the Gulf of Mexico and I suspect everything will be seized and people arrested.  Just seems easier to travel to a friendly state/nation for a procedure where the operating room is not rocking.

Mexico? Belize? I dunno man. It's not my wild ass plan. 

Texas women should be working on a vasectomy registry where men can authorize their doctors to certify their status as having had a vasectomy (and to update if they've ever had it reversed) and then proceed to cut off access to anyone that is not on the registry.  Maybe that would get the attention of those in power...

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Its what jesus would have wanted. you expect them to vote for godless democrats? 

they're just fucking brainwashed by religion, nevermind religion (the bible) does not seem to really care about fetuses.  it's creating a huge rift between us and my inlaws who are run-of-mill southern Baptists types (in that they are not bad terrible people, but fall in line with "wE aRe SaviNg aLl thE bAbieS"  bullshit line of thinking) who voted for Trump and see nothing wrong with the overturn of RvW. 

• Rage+1 1

A bunch of right wing assholes publicly called the story about the 10 year old rape Ohio victim who had to go to Indiana for an abortion a made up story.

Today the rapist was arrested and instead of publicly acknowledging they were full of shit (lol) they’re deflecting by going after the physician.

• Rage+1 6

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

These people deserve the most painful fate imaginable.

“She would have had the baby, and as many women who have had babies as a result of rape, we would hope that she would understand the reason and ultimately the benefit of having the child,” Bopp said in a phone interview on Thursday.

Ah, yes. A 10 year old should definitely be able to comprehend why she's being forced to carry the child of her rapist. I cannot comprehend the level of cruelty in these people's hearts.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, royiv said:

“She would have had the baby, and as many women who have had babies as a result of rape, we would hope that she would understand the reason and ultimately the benefit of having the child,” Bopp said in a phone interview on Thursday.

Ah, yes. A 10 year old should definitely be able to comprehend why she's being forced to carry the child of her rapist. I cannot comprehend the level of cruelty in these people's hearts.

That gives “people” a bad name.

We need to stop playing with kid gloves and start referring to “people” who think like this as what they are: morally inferior cretins

• Hook 'Em 3