Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

11 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

The whole premise that the plaintiffs have standing is ludicrous to me.

In a sane secular legal world, you are 100% correct. But, we left that world a long time ago. We're in medieval madness.

In the emerging American theocracy, the Bible has standing above all the sciences and medical expertise. Genesis 1:1 is the evidence-free foundation for all this insanity.

Kacsmaryk is another Trump-appointed theocrat. The 67-page ruling is just an attempt to gaslight everyone into believing the ruling was grounded in rigorous science and legal scholarship. The first footnote in the opinion is to Embryo: A Defense of Human Life, the usual Christian anti-abortion nonsense masked as high-minded morality grounded in unscientific bullshit (clump of cells = "unborn human"), authored by two theocrats masking as high-browed legal profs from Princeton and Univ of South Carolina. Same with Alito citing medieval scholars overturning Roe. 

With the counter ruling in Washington, the abortion pill issue will get to the Supreme Court, where Barrett will author the 6-3 majority opinion.

Medical science and women's reproductive rights must obey the sacred scrolls. That's the entire foundational argument. The rest is a smokescreen for theocracy. From the Bible to the Ivy League to Amarillo to the Supreme Court to all across America.

Kacsmaryk issuing the ruling on so-called Good Friday is just the cherry on the top. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
clarity.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

There is virtually zero chance that some Federalist Society rapture-fantasizing theocratic sociopath won't try to do this with vaccines if this ruling stands. 

This ruling is not going to stand. If it does it will be rightfully ignored by the FDA and the DOJ. Women’s reproductive rights will be the reef the Republican Party ship breaks apart on

• Drool 1

This ruling is not going to stand. If it does it will be rightfully ignored by the FDA and the DOJ. Women’s reproductive rights will be the reef the Republican Party ship breaks apart on

Nope. Women will be ground to dust, just like every other group that is not “rich white men,” who also happen to be the Chosen Ones to carry the banner of modern fundagelical Christianity.
You seem to still be living in a world where “majorities” and “votes” matter. Nope. See extreme gerrymandering (Tennessee). See fascist theocratic courts undoing decades of law because fundamentalist Jesus says so.
Government and the rule of law is nothing but a social agreement. And when one (large and powerful) group opts out of that agreement, the agreement is dead. Your point is like saying of a party that repeatedly breaches a contract “but they can’t do the next thing, because that would breach the contract.” They don’t care about the contract. You look silly standing there and pointing to it as they go about their plan not giving the tiniest of shits about that contract.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

you've got more hope than I do.

and it's just that much closer to the nightmare, when the branches of government just start ignoring each other

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, naija said:

you've got more hope than I do.

and it's just that much closer to the nightmare, when the branches of government just start ignoring each other

They lost Wisconsin over this last week.  After abortion, they were planning on going after birth control.  This doesn’t end the way the Republican diehards think it does, and some of the cynics say that Republican politicians know it won’t go that far, but when they are defeated, it’s easier for them to fund raise off of it, and so they go along for the grift and votes.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Nope. Women will be ground to dust, just like every other group that is not “rich white men,” who also happen to be the Chosen Ones to carry the banner of modern fundagelical Christianity.
You seem to still be living in a world where “majorities” and “votes” matter. Nope. See extreme gerrymandering (Tennessee). See fascist theocratic courts undoing decades of law because fundamentalist Jesus says so.
Government and the rule of law is nothing but a social agreement. And when one (large and powerful) group opts out of that agreement, the agreement is dead. Your point is like saying of a party that repeatedly breaches a contract “but they can’t do the next thing, because that would breach the contract.” They don’t care about the contract. You look silly standing there and pointing to it as they go about their plan not giving the tiniest of shits about that contract.

I know you are the populist ledge leader. I compared you to Robespierre way back on the other site. I stand by that. When the enablers’ wives and daughters start dying they will abandon the crazies. But enjoy the ledge and the dopamine hits your followers give you

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smax said:
4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
There you go. If the courts can’t agree, then it’s up to the exec branch to decide how to enforce. 

Won't it go to scotus?

Let Justice Roberts enforce his ruling 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

do you ever just think, "maybe just this one time I won't post something."? maybe you should

• Haha 6

52 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I know you are the populist ledge leader. I compared you to Robespierre way back on the other site. I stand by that. When the enablers’ wives and daughters start dying they will abandon the crazies. But enjoy the ledge and the dopamine hits your followers give you

This reminds me of when a poster here said a couple of years ago, as an optimistic “it’ll all be ok” post, that most of the nazis would realize what they had become and stop once it was their families and friends that were being thrown into concentration camps. 

52 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

How long is that going to take and how many women that aren’t related to the privileged few have to die or have near-death experiences before this changes?

Additionally, the enablers are already flying their wives and daughters to blue states to take care of their issues.

Personally, I see the enablers trying everything and anything to stay in power through the use of the crazies.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

How long is that going to take and how many women that aren’t related to the privileged few have to die or have near-death experiences before this changes?

Additionally, the enablers are already flying their wives and daughters to blue states to take care of their issues.

Personally, I see the enablers trying everything and anything to stay in power through the use of the crazies.

More than any of us would like but it will happen. Or you could go shoot some judges or bomb some shot and see how that goes

8 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

More than any of us would like but it will happen. Or you could go shoot some judges or bomb some shot and see how that goes

No one is discussing that. However, we have US Senators suggesting the executive branch ignore federal court rulings. Clearly this shit has already gone to far and will continue to move the wrong way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

This reminds me of when a poster here said a couple of years ago, as an optimistic “it’ll all be ok” post, that most of the nazis would realize what they had become and stop once it was their families and friends that were being thrown into concentration camps. 

Have you read about how Hitler/Nazis came to power? It was not this gradual slippery slope like some here would have you believe. It was not the frog boiling analogy.  

It came on the heels of draconian sanctions and crippling economic penalties imposed following a war where 20% of the male population died and 400-800k of civilians starved, and where the value of the currency approached zero, in the setting of a worldwide depression. People were still at risk of starving, and communism was a viable competing alternative to democracy and fascism. 

It happened violently and suddenly, with the fascists in control of a private army that outnumbered and outgunned the actual military 3:1 due to post war limits imposed on Germany by the allied powers.

And it still wouldn’t have happened but for a decrepit former general being “in charge” of a population one generation removed from the rule of a monarch. 

can it happen here? of course. Is it likely to happen here? From a rational perspective no. 

3 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

No one is discussing that. However, we have US Senators suggesting the executive branch ignore federal court rulings. Clearly this shit has already gone to far and will continue to move the wrong way.

Ever heard of Andrew Jackson?

• Like 1

Can someone help me understand the legal mechanics of all of this?

Mifepristone was approved by the FDA in 2000 and now we have a conservative federal judge from Texas essentially saying it shouldn’t have been approved and issuing a ruling that would revoke that approval starting on April 14. Presumably the reason is that he reviewed the approval process and determined (in his expert medical opinion as a judge) that it isn’t safe and the risks are too high. Is that part correct? Is there a place to read the specifics that went into this decision?

So if this goes into effect in 7 days, the drug would lose its approval nationwide which would make it no longer attainable for anyone in this country. Except that meanwhile, a different federal judge in Washington state has issued a ruling that would block the FDA from pulling the drug. I’m unclear on this part because that ruling is based on a lawsuit from a coalition of 17 states, so would that only apply to continued mifepristone use in those states, or would it in theory be a nationwide ruling to allow continued use in all states?

And since these rulings are directly contradictory, that puts the FDA in a jam because honoring either ruling requires violating the other. Which if both rulings stand, that seems to be headed for the SCOTUS to make a decision, correct? And we kinda know how that will go.

Is there any prior example of a judge overruling the FDA regarding approval of a medication? Putting the specific topic of abortion aside, why on earth would a judge have the authority to make decisions that supersede the one agency our country has trusted to regulate public health and access to medical care? The FDA is an organization of thousands of doctors and medical experts and the judge has no medical background whatsoever.

4 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

May I introduce you to the 5th Circuit.   Every judge up there is the same as this District Court nut.  You really think the Supremes are going to overturn this?  Clarence gives you the middle finger. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Shit’s gonna get violent.

I think Cruz and Hawley have let the cat out of the bag. The goal is to make life untenable for blues in red states and they move on allowing R’s to have a country within a country. That’s the only way they survive the shifting demographics. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

May I introduce you to the 5th Circuit.   Every judge up there is the same as this District Court nut.  You really think the Supremes are going to overturn this?  Clarence gives you the middle finger. 

You realize there is a competing ruling over the same medication? If it does get to SCOTUS and they ban the drug the executive branch (rightfully) will not enforce it. There is precedent for that

28 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

You realize there is a competing ruling over the same medication? If it does get to SCOTUS and they ban the drug the executive branch (rightfully) will not enforce it. There is precedent for that

What is/are that/those precedent?

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

What is/are that/those precedent?

Executive ignoring judicial?

Jackson and Lincoln directly defied SCOTUS

FDR would have but SCOTUS backed down

Trump’s admin defied lower court rulings but backed down eventually 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Executive ignoring judicial?

Jackson and Lincoln directly defied SCOTUS

FDR would have but SCOTUS backed down

Trump’s admin defied lower court rulings but backed down eventually 

And there's nothing the Court can do about it.

Congress, on the other hand . . . 

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Can someone help me understand the legal mechanics of all of this?

Sure. It's called the Bible, the sacred scrolls. The Bible overrules all science, all medical expertise, all legal precedent, all FDA rulings, all women's reproductive rights in America. It is as simple at that. 

Trying to analyze the 67-page ruling is self-gaslighting. The first footnote in the ruling cites an anti-abortion book, followed by 66 pages of smoke screen pretending to be rigorous legal analysis. 

The Trump-appointed judge is not a conservative, but rather a fascist theocrat. 

There, that's the legal mechanics. Seriously, that's it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I get no dopamine hit from watching a country I truly love descend into chaos. It doesn’t matter anyway. Nobody is listening. I’m far from alone in the alarm bells I’ve been ringing for nearly 10 years, by my count…plenty of people have rung them. Nobody’s listening.
You think that crazy has limits. “Limits” is a concept that is 100% incompatible with “crazy evil.” That’s the fucking problem.
Continue to believe that all is well. Do so as the body count climbs, then soars. Whatever makes you feel better.
I get no dopamine hit or pleasure from any of this. I wish, with all of my heart, that we weren’t hurtling at breakneck sped towards becoming the Republic of Cruel Fascism. But we are. Makes me want to puke.
I’ve told you how bad it’s getting. I’ve been right a shitload more than I’ve been wrong. I really, really want to start being really, really wrong. Doesn’t look to be happening anytime soon.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

this. I wish, with all of my heart, that we weren’t hurtling at breakneck sped towards becoming the Republic of Cruel Fascism. But we are. Makes me want to puke.
I’ve told you how bad it’s getting. I’ve been right a shitload more than I’ve been wrong. I really, really want to start being really, really wrong. Doesn’t look to be happening anytime soon.

You’ve been right about a lot of shit that many of us have seen coming who are nowhere near as fatalistic as you. You have been wrong about a lot as well.  You are wrong about us hurtling at breakneck speed into a fascist theocracy. We are in for some (more) pain to be sure. But tbh we (the collective we) deserve it. Ultimately we will be all right. 

56 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

You’ve been right about a lot of shit that many of us have seen coming who are nowhere near as fatalistic as you. You have been wrong about a lot as well.  You are wrong about us hurtling at breakneck speed into a fascist theocracy. We are in for some (more) pain to be sure. But tbh we (the collective we) deserve it. Ultimately we will be all right. 

Who's this "we?" You got a mouse in your pocket? (says the member of two increasingly shit-on marginalized groups)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Ultimately, Germany was alright. I love it there. Great friends, Berlin may be our favorite world city.
I don’t want us to have to go through 5% of what they had to.
The ending doesn’t matter if the cost is so high.

5 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Have you read about how Hitler/Nazis came to power? It was not this gradual slippery slope like some here would have you believe.

I have. Extensively while at UT. You are correct in one sense. The Nazis seized power suddenly and violently. 

However, the slippery slope in Germany started well before the Nazis came to power.

—There were decades of the widespread embrace of Aryan Superiority/Master Race myths proselytized by philosopher Houston Stewart Chamberlain. He authored the highly influential book: The Foundations of the Nineteenth Century (1899). This is just one example, there were others whose names escape me thirty years later. Some of Nietzsche's were also appropriated or misappropriated, depending on one's view. Chamberlain and his disciples later influenced Alfred Rosenberg and other Nazi thinkers. The rabid Nazi racism and anti-Semitism had been building for decades, across the culture in Germany, from philosophy to Wagner to sports to cinema (Leni Riefenstahl).

— Also prominent in the era before the Nazi takeover was the rise of anti-science, anti-evolution, anti-Darwin, "Blood and Soil," Social Darwinism, and all kinds of BS science (eugenics) and pseudoscience, along with Aryan pseudo-archaeology (later inspiring Raiders of the Lost Ark). Three-to-four decades of the slippery slope of myth, racism, and idiocy (etc.) paved the way for the sudden Nazi takeover. 

— When it came for the takeover, the Nazis got support from the industrialists, police, and various security forces who supported Hitler. Then the military obeyed.

Slippery Slope America.

The idea of a chosen people in Germany (the Aryan myth) destined to rule is not unlike the current attitude of the Christian fascists/theocrats in America who believe they are ordained to rule by the Bible. Building for decades, since Reagan and Falwell merged religion and Republicans. They own the Supreme Court for decades and much of the Federal Courts.

— Anti-science and pseudoscience are all over American culture (Left and Right)—creationism, dinos and humans co-existing, paranormalism, climate denial, astrology, faith-healing, anti-vaxxers, celebs selling miracle cures, all kinds of New Age nonsense, the cult of self-help, belief in conspiracy theories, from Q to Apollo fake moon landings to Ancient Aliens. The list is endless.  The entire Ancient Aliens ideology is a a bunch of pseudo-archaeology/chosen people believed by tens of millions in America.

— The Leftist intelligentsia turned away from science and atheism in the 1980s and 1990s, advocating relativism (all beliefs are equal) and the notion that science is based in capitalism and has no objective claims to empirical or universe truth. Re the Sokal hoax scandal. MAGA-GQP just one-upped them. I recall this debate clearly happening at UT among some students and faculty. 

— Add on social media disinformation, mass shootings, ultraviolence (as I have explained in several posts), the attacks on legal precedent by theocrat judges, attacks on women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ and the Trump regime's enabling of mass death via Covid—you can see the intellectual collapse of America is in full force. 

The sudden violent seizure of power in America? What else was January 6? Nothing less than a violent insurrection.

Since none of the ringleaders has been prosecuted, expect it to happen again. People like to think the police and military will remain neutral. I would not count on it. They are no less immune the cultural forces and intellectual collapse then anyone else.

— Add on the fact that religion/Christianity gets a free pass, no matter the fascism and obvious theocracy, and big trouble lies ahead. Both sides are now claiming the need to reject the rule of law. Corporations and billionaire oligarchs are waiting it out in the wings.... 

— In my view, the slippery slope is mostly behind us.

The question before us is:

— Does America survive the seizure of power coming from MAGA-GQP, with stolen elections via voter suppression, belief in biblical prophecies and conspiracy theories, all backed by millions of AR-15s and perhaps support from police or military.

TLDR. The parallels between America and Germany are there. Very clear. Right before our eyes.

American democracy is ... on the ledge!

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The ending doesn’t matter if the cost is so high.

This is the crux of it all. How much fucking suffering are we willing to tolerate? I’m sure the woman who had to gofundme the burial of her dead, deformed “baby” will take great solace once we finally get back on track in the year 2050

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CTC2 said:

I think Cruz and Hawley have let the cat out of the bag. The goal is to make life untenable for blues in red states and they move on allowing R’s to have a country within a country. That’s the only way they survive the shifting demographics. 

Making the truly red states redder won't help the Rs in the long run though - they lost a state like Wisconsin pretty much for good last week (it was never that red but when every electoral vote matters, it hurts), and Arizona and even places like Georgia, and the states that Trump lost to Biden, and they are toast.  And the Republicans have to contend with all of the baggage that Trump will be bringing if he's around in the '24 election, oh and Trump is sucking up a lot of money that would go to help down-ballot Republicans, and he's doing it deliberately.

And the Republicans have doubled down on issues that are going to get young people out to vote, and did get young people out to vote last year and in '20.  Meanwhile the boomers are dying off (and COVID helped), and more and more of the rural youth are moving out of the rural areas.  Demographics aren't going to favor the Republicans.

Making the truly red states redder won't help the Rs in the long run though - they lost a state like Wisconsin pretty much for good last week (it was never that red but when every electoral vote matters, it hurts), and Arizona and even places like Georgia, and the states that Trump lost to Biden, and they are toast.  And the Republicans have to contend with all of the baggage that Trump will be bringing if he's around in the '24 election, oh and Trump is sucking up a lot of money that would go to help down-ballot Republicans, and he's doing it deliberately.
And the Republicans have doubled down on issues that are going to get young people out to vote, and did get young people out to vote last year and in '20.  Meanwhile the boomers are dying off (and COVID helped), and more and more of the rural youth are moving out of the rural areas.  Demographics aren't going to favor the Republicans.

Red state governors legalizing the murder of their political opponents will help them out. Abbott is testing that out right now.

1 hour ago, BevoAbyss said:

I have. Extensively while at UT. You are correct in one sense. The Nazis seized power suddenly and violently. 

However, the slippery slope in Germany started well before the Nazis came to power.

—There were decades of the widespread embrace of Aryan Superiority/Master Race myths proselytized by philosopher Houston Stewart Chamberlain. He authored the highly influential book: The Foundations of the Nineteenth Century (1899). This is just one example, there were others whose names escape me thirty years later. Some of Nietzsche's were also appropriated or misappropriated, depending on one's view. Chamberlain and his disciples later influenced Alfred Rosenberg and other Nazi thinkers. The rabid Nazi racism and anti-Semitism had been building for decades, across the culture in Germany, from philosophy to Wagner to sports to cinema (Leni Riefenstahl).

— Also prominent in the era before the Nazi takeover was the rise of anti-science, anti-evolution, anti-Darwin, "Blood and Soil," Social Darwinism, and all kinds of BS science (eugenics) and pseudoscience, along with Aryan pseudo-archaeology (later inspiring Raiders of the Lost Ark). Three-to-four decades of the slippery slope of myth, racism, and idiocy (etc.) paved the way for the sudden Nazi takeover. 

— When it came for the takeover, the Nazis got support from the industrialists, police, and various security forces who supported Hitler. Then the military obeyed.

Slippery Slope America.

The idea of a chosen people in Germany (the Aryan myth) destined to rule is not unlike the current attitude of the Christian fascists/theocrats in America who believe they are ordained to rule by the Bible. Building for decades, since Reagan and Falwell merged religion and Republicans. They own the Supreme Court for decades and much of the Federal Courts.

— Anti-science and pseudoscience are all over American culture (Left and Right)—creationism, dinos and humans co-existing, paranormalism, climate denial, astrology, faith-healing, anti-vaxxers, celebs selling miracle cures, all kinds of New Age nonsense, the cult of self-help, belief in conspiracy theories, from Q to Apollo fake moon landings to Ancient Aliens. The list is endless.  The entire Ancient Aliens ideology is a a bunch of pseudo-archaeology/chosen people believed by tens of millions in America.

— The Leftist intelligentsia turned away from science and atheism in the 1980s and 1990s, advocating relativism (all beliefs are equal) and the notion that science is based in capitalism and has no objective claims to empirical or universe truth. Re the Sokal hoax scandal. MAGA-GQP just one-upped them. I recall this debate clearly happening at UT among some students and faculty. 

— Add on social media disinformation, mass shootings, ultraviolence (as I have explained in several posts), the attacks on legal precedent by theocrat judges, attacks on women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ and the Trump regime's enabling of mass death via Covid—you can see the intellectual collapse of America is in full force. 

The sudden violent seizure of power in America? What else was January 6? Nothing less than a violent insurrection.

Since none of the ringleaders has been prosecuted, expect it to happen again. People like to think the police and military will remain neutral. I would not count on it. They are no less immune the cultural forces and intellectual collapse then anyone else.

— Add on the fact that religion/Christianity gets a free pass, no matter the fascism and obvious theocracy, and big trouble lies ahead. Both sides are now claiming the need to reject the rule of law. Corporations and billionaire oligarchs are waiting it out in the wings.... 

— In my view, the slippery slope is mostly behind us.

The question before us is:

— Does America survive the seizure of power coming from MAGA-GQP, with stolen elections via voter suppression, belief in biblical prophecies and conspiracy theories, all backed by millions of AR-15s and perhaps support from police or military.

TLDR. The parallels between America and Germany are there. Very clear. Right before our eyes.

American democracy is ... on the ledge!

So you are just going to leave out losing 20% of your workforce, inflation at infinity, mass starvation, and a crippled military? And Hindenburg being in charge at the end? And a significant percentage of the population wanting neither democratic socialism or fascism but rather communism? You know, the biggest factors leading to hitler’s ascension? 

I guess you skipped those days

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Who's this "we?" You got a mouse in your pocket? (says the member of two increasingly shit-on marginalized groups)

I guess you didn’t benefit from the slave economy or the theft of my ancestors’ lands and resources? You just got off a boat?

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

I guess you didn’t benefit from the slave economy or the theft of my ancestors’ lands and resources? You just got off a boat?

Sure, I benefited. My privilege  is real, but it's not as whole as that of the dominant group. The party in power here would just as soon see me dead, perhaps even celebrate it. Their policies show that. And I don't have it nearly as bad as some. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Red state governors legalizing the murder of their political opponents will help them out. Abbott is testing that out right now.

It's  not going to change Wisconsin or Arizona or Georgia or Pennsylvania.

It's just going to make red states even shittier than they already are (and there's even a chance they could flip some of those red states) which is going to drive companies and young people away, which will make some of those red states probably rely on the federal government a lot more.

Look, I'm not on the ledge, but I expect some of these to be pushed through by Abbott and the Legislature (maybe 2025):

1. Genital inspection for school kids
  2. Going after people who leave the state for abortion
  3. Requiring anybody viewing porn online to present a government idea (they'll probably copy the law from Louisiana)
  4. Taking over the police, DA's, courts, city administration, etc. in cities larger than 500,000 people
  5. Going after birth control.

They've already made a run at #4, they are talking about #2 and #5, there are Republican legislators in Texas who have heard about #3 and talked about it in a positive light, and if Dan Patrick hasn't considered #1, I'd be completely shocked.

But I happen to think that any and all of those things will get a lot more people out to vote, which makes me think that's why none of those are being pushed through as quickly as possible.  Republicans in Texas can't figure out how to push those through without pissing off a lot more people and getting them out to vote.

• Hook 'Em 1