Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Or....you could listen to the people in the industry who actually have the experience to draw upon (note that the sole measure of "shitty table" is not just tipping - the absolute meanest, cruelest, most demeaning tables I ever had also made a show of big group prayers and shit.  I am FAR from alone in that experience).

Yeah but Anastasis has some stats from the net so what do you know.

I can’t speak to this tipping controversy since my only experience in the restaurant industry was as a busboy at the county line on the hill, fuddruckers and jazz on the lake. The only people I knew who screwed me out of tips were the waiters. Working at the county line as a busboy though ultimately inspired me to become a lawyer though since it was basically the worst job in a first world country you could imagine. 

• Haha 1

Just now, JimmyJames said:

Working at the county line as a busboy though ultimately inspired me to become a lawyer though since it was basically the worst job in a first world country you could imagine. 

Which job? Busboy or lawyer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

I don't think that treating people in the service industry like shit is largely limited to the "this is a CHRISTIAN NATION" crowd, but if that is what your experience leads you to believe, I am sure that it is right. 

They aren't the ONLY shitty customers.  But they were very disproportionately represented in that group.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah.....but we lawyers rarely get to pocket that extra lambchop that the guy at table 32 didn't even touch.   So, you know, it's a toss-up.

Hell at the county line we didn’t even get meal breaks so we ate the leftover sausage that came back.

Looking back I’m pretty sure that was illegal.

7 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Interesting data based on credit card transactions...tipping percentage by day of week and time.

https://www.eater.com/2017/1/24/14365152/best-tips-servers-sunday

Screenshot-2021-05-26-111427.jpg

All this tip talk reminds me of how good a huevos rancheros plate is. Bean, salsa, and corn tortilla is the best first bite of the day.

Breakfast tips are the best tips.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Claro
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

All this tip talk reminds me of how good a huevos rancheros plate is. Bean, salsa, and corn tortilla is the best first bite of the day.

Breakfast tips are the best tips.

I try to remind myself of that once or twice a week.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The group of 5 single Baby boomer men at bars are weird. “Yea the Coors light really is $4, buddy.” My thoughts on Gen X over the years are always correct. They’re a bunch of flailing, wandering morons who can’t use the internet even though they created it.

We may be morons but we know what fucking Venmo is.

We have greedy college kids FFS.
  • Haha 1

@GRHorn you can eat whatever you like, but please, take the missus out for a nice meal (I'm sure she'd appreciate it) whip out your cell phone and snap a new pic for your avatar. I had no idea avatars were such serious business.

Do you like pie? Maybe have a chocolate cream pie for dessert or something. I made a rhubarb pie this week for my spouse. It wasn't photo worthy though, the Food forum has some high standards over there.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I worked as a lifeguard in San Antonio in high school.  I used to put John Hagy in timeout for being a little shit.

We had no restaurant or snack bar and thus no tips but I think there were a couple of vending machines. 

When I was in college I worked at USAA, and not in the cafeteria, and thus there were no tips.

I will not tip for dawdling service in San Antonio drinking establishments.

tumblr_pigsygmzdK1xekk7jo8_500.gifv

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

What did you give for the boiled carrot dawg, well done fried steak, and microwave scalloped potatoes?

Probably 25-30%. That’s my norm. If you suck donkey dick as a waiter you still get 20% from me. My wife thinks it’s dumb but I know how much better it made you feel to get a big tip.

• Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Sounds like premature ejaculation. Sounds like someone doesn't know what they're talking about. None of those are closed subjects

Chuckle. Four months is a long time.

Edited by Satchel

8 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Probably 25-30%. That’s my norm. If you suck donkey dick as a waiter you still get 20% from me. My wife thinks it’s dumb but I know how much better it made you feel to get a big tip.

Is this a burn? Are we supposed to think this is a burn?

15 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

You mean to tell me the generation with the least fucking money tips the least? No way! The millennial brunch crowd though isn't a perfect cross section of millennials, it's mostly professional millennials. You know, the ones that actually have money. And "Christians" are not the after church lunch crowd. The after church lunch crowd is a subset of Christians, mostly grumpy older folks, who like to yell at young waitstaff for the fact that the bartender didn't fix their double jack and water quite right. 

You're sure working hard to cherrypick data to argue against the actual experience of a lot of people. Go ask anyone you know with any experience waiting tables what they thought of the after church crowd. 

This is like those surveys 15 years ago that said having 1 glass of wine a day made you live longer and improved health.  Well, no shit: people who can afford wine and can stop after 1 drink probably have the financial resources for Heath insurance as well as consciously living a healthy lifestyle.  

16 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I don't think that treating people in the service industry like shit is largely limited to the "this is a CHRISTIAN NATION" crowd, but if that is what your experience leads you to believe, I am sure that it is right. 

Nobody has said it is. They just suck the worst.

I waited tables in a seafood restaurant and got absolutely berated on multiple occasions by members of the after church crowd for the fact that we didn't serve Italian food and other non-seafood items (we even served chicken and burgers for those who didn't like seafood). 

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

That's precisely what was said. Unless you know a different way to draw two almost completely overlapping circles.

17 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I waited tables in a seafood restaurant and got absolutely berated on multiple occasions by members of the after church crowd for the fact that we didn't serve Italian food and other non-seafood items (we even served chicken and burgers for those who didn't like seafood). 

I can't fathom how much brain damage it requires to go into a seafood restaurant and bitch that lasagna isn't on the menu.

Seems to me that the "after church crowd" isn't really defined adequately as "people that go out to eat with their friends and family after church."  Maybe it's just the language of the industry.  Kinda like how "Canadians" doesn't really refer to people from Canada. 

Seems to me that the "after church crowd" isn't really defined adequately as "people that go out to eat with their friends and family after church."  Maybe it's just the language of the industry.  Kinda like how "Canadians" doesn't really refer to people from Canada. 

You’re being deliberately obtuse again.

Oy vey.  Let's see if we can restate this:

My experience, which was limited to a fast food restaurant in south central Missouri, but which seems to be consistent with that of a wide variety of restaurant workers in a wide variety of restaurants in a wide variety of towns, is that the noon-to-2-pm Sunday lunch crowd had a much higher percentage of assholes than any other shift I can recall.

Does that work?  We OK with that?  Anyone else want to clarify their experiences for the surly court?

• Hook 'Em 1

But Sunday is the 1st day of the week and outside of Seventh Day Adventists, observing the Sabbath isn't a thing in Christianity. Sure some sects (primarily fundamentalist Calvanist offshoots) have some Sunday version of the Sabbath but the majority of Christianity doesn't observe Sunday as the Sabbath as described in the scripture you referenced. 

I remember being taught in Spanish class in first grade that calendars in Spanish speaking countries were drawn with Monday as the first day of the week. Don't know if that was actually a thing or not.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oy vey.  Let's see if we can restate this:

My experience, which was limited to a fast food restaurant in south central Missouri, but which seems to be consistent with that of a wide variety of restaurant workers in a wide variety of restaurants in a wide variety of towns, is that the noon-to-2-pm Sunday lunch crowd had a much higher percentage of assholes than any other shift I can recall.

Does that work?  We OK with that?  Anyone else want to clarify their experiences for the surly court?

If you are saying that the population of diners at Wendy's for Sunday lunch is an enriched population of trashy assholes, I am inclined to take your word for it. If you want to do as some others here and dive into an unhinged rant to explicitly tie that back to some general commentary on religious affiliation, I am going to go ahead and push back. 

Edited by Anastasis

6 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Just for kicks, I asked my 3rd grader after he got home to draw two completely overlapping circles.  He drew one circle on the piece of paper and then smiled a little shit eating grin.  I told him that I wanted two circles. He said that wasn't possible. He of course had a point, so I emphasized almost completely overlapping and asked him to try again.

AF745-CAC-6-FB8-489-E-9-F47-5-A475833409

29 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Just for kicks, I asked my 3rd grader after he got home to draw two completely overlapping circles.  He drew one circle on the piece of paper and then smiled a little shit eating grin.  I told him that I wanted two circles. He said that wasn't possible. He of course had a point, so I emphasized almost completely overlapping and asked him to try again.

AF745-CAC-6-FB8-489-E-9-F47-5-A475833409

James Caan Elf GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5