Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Seems to me that the "after church crowd" isn't really defined adequately as "people that go out to eat with their friends and family after church."  Maybe it's just the language of the industry.  Kinda like how "Canadians" doesn't really refer to people from Canada. 

Okay I’ll make it clear. If you are walking in wearing your Sunday best, almost always in a group of six or more, talking about Jesus and telling me how wonderful he is, while then leaving a tip that’s less than the “Widow’s Offering”, you are part of the Christian group that every single server I worked with attempted to avoid because they were just not going to tip well. Ethnicity nor age of the Sunday Christians did not matter. That is the group. Every server worth their salt will have at least one story of having to serve them and wishing they had not done so. I look back now and just shake my head at the utter selfishness that was on display by people who purported themselves to be anything but that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Okay I’ll make it clear. If you are walking in wearing your Sunday best, almost always in a group of six or more, talking about Jesus and telling me how wonderful he is, while then leaving a tip that’s less than the “Widow’s Offering”, you are part of the Christian group that every single server I worked with attempted to avoid because they were just not going to tip well. Ethnicity nor age of the Sunday Christians did not matter. That is the group. Every server worth their salt will have at least one story of having to serve them and wishing they had not done so. I look back now and just shake my head at the utter selfishness that was on display by people who purported themselves to be anything but that.

I am honestly amazed that this is really a thing.  People come up to you and talk about their Jesus while waiting for their eggs benedict?  I was serious when I said initially that some of us seem to be occupying different universes. Certainly the case.

I worked retail from the time I was 15 or so until I was in my early 30s. Nobody every came up to me in that setting and tried to convert me (exception, there were some very evangelical homeopathy people that would come in on the weekends and want to talk about Cs and Xs and shit while I rolled my eyes). Must be something different about food service.  But to be frank, I think we have some form of selection bias in play.  Probably based in SES with an interaction by sect. I eat out a lot. A bunch on Sunday's after church with friends and family.  I have never seen somebody pitch jesus in that setting, and can't ever imagine doing so, but I also run with a different crowd I guess. 

Jesus is awesome.  When my family eats out, whether Sunday or otherwise, we say a short prayer discretely.  We try not to be performative about it, but some crosses are made habitually. We try to time it discretely when the server is away, but sometimes they roll up with a reup on the rocks margarita in the middle of the whole situation. I think that I will actually be more performative moving forward and hope that the tip they get on the end of it helps soothe their preconceived notions for the next party.   

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

You seem to have (had?) an axe to grind against a certain portion of the population. It’s possible that your distaste for them was manifested in ways that were visible to them and it gets reflected in your tip? 

I think the most likely scenario is people that go to church and make a routine of going out to eat afterwards skew older. Old people are in the shitty tipper bucket. 

• Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I am honestly amazed that this is really a thing.  People come up to you and talk about their Jesus while waiting for their eggs benedict?  I was serious when I said initially that some of us seem to be occupying different universes. Certainly the case.

I worked retail from the time I was 15 or so until I was in my early 30s. Nobody every came up to me in that setting and tried to convert me (exception, there were some very evangelical homeopathy people that would come in on the weekends and want to talk about Cs and Xs and shit while I rolled my eyes). Must be something different about food service.  But to be frank, I think we have some form of selection bias in play.  Probably based in SES with an interaction by sect. I eat out a lot. A bunch on Sunday's after church with friends and family.  I have never seen somebody pitch jesus in that setting, and can't ever imagine doing so, but I also run with a different crowd I guess. 

Jesus is awesome.  When my family eats out, whether Sunday or otherwise, we say a short prayer discretely.  We try not to be performative about it, but some crosses are made habitually. We try to time it discretely when the server is away, but sometimes they roll up with a reup on the rocks margarita in the middle of the whole situation. I think that I will actually be more performative moving forward and hope that the tip they get on the end of it helps soothe their preconceived notions for the next party.   

It really is a thing. When I started serving it was not something I was aware of, but I received a quick education. I have been asked to attend churches, had those cards left on the table about the end times, and would get complimented for great service and get several God Bless yous on the way out the door only to get what was leftover from the offering. There were times it was an exercise in frustration, but eventually you just accepted it and treated them with the same kindness as someone who tipped well.

I pray when I go out to eat. I do not usually go in a group. It’s usually just me and one other person. We’ll pray over the meal and ask God to bless everything. It’s usually after our meal is brought out because I don’t want the server to have to stand their awkwardly waiting to ask us a question while we pray. I would honestly just suggest to you to keep doing what you do. When the server comes back to me halfway through a meal I will engage them and ask what they are doing with their life and try to give them encouragement to pursue the thing it is they said they are doing. A great tip is obviously cool to get, but so are kind words accompanying it. I want the person serving us to know they are valued as a human being. That is how I show Christ’s love in that setting. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT SUNDAY TIPPERS JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

I think we should attempt to circulate rumors that Biden is a bad tipper and see if we can get Fox and OAN to run stories on it. We have got to manufacture some controversy for Biden so we can get the DT crowd to join us to talk about Tipgate.

• Hook 'Em 1

Upper Westside’s posts are spot-on, and exactly what I was talking about.

I had a super evangelical and showy table (loud prayer, hands raised to the heavens before the meal types) treat me worse than I’ve ever been treated before or since. Berated me, demeaned me, took pleasure in personally attacking me for everything I did, right or wrong. I quit on the table, told the manager he could finish it out. He thought I was exaggerating. After they left, he apologized to me, said I wasn’t kidding about how bad they were. Meanest table I ever had, and there wasn’t even a close second.

And yeah, I got proselytized to plenty. And more than once was left the “Christian prayer card” or some shit AS MY TIP. I’ll never forget the two older women who I took fantastic care of, made their special occasion dinner a big deal. They praised me all night, told me that they so appreciated the service and were going to take special care of me at the end of the night.

Yeah, I was worried about that too. When they had left, and there was folded up paper on the table, I went to open it hoping “please don’t be a room key.” It was worse. Not a penny for a tip. Just a note that said “our tip for you is something better than money: it’s the good news that Jesus Christ is your lord and savior.”

I’ve got more stories like that. Most waiters do. We’re not making this shit up. No party makes a waiter more nervous than the super-outwardly “Jesus” party. Not the 6 women who we know will ask for separate checks. Not the obnoxious drunk. Not the poor family who can’t speak much English.

Anastasis, you might benefit from spending a few months waiting tables. Or, maybe you could believe the MULTIPLE posters here, who didn’t ever work together, telling you the exact same stories.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Anastasis, you might benefit from spending a few months waiting tables.

Doesn't particularly sound like it.

I spent my time in retail. Sounds like a lot of you guys waited tables in shitty places where low rung white trash evangelicals predominated.  Wendy's and Red Lobster and shit is not really the frame of reference that I would make broad generalizations on. Like I said, a certain selection bias in play.

Being more hellish than my fellow former waiters, I have no big church group stories to tell. I did have one Episcopal Priest I knew come sit at the bar (WHERE ELSE, b'doom tish,) and so I'm taking care of his beers and a couple tables. While I am around the corner this back-stabbin doxie I worked with jumped in and served him a refill, and collected the money AND THE TIP. On his way out he said Hi to me and that he'd paid.

So you have slimy coworkers and Episcopalian clergy utterly disconnected to how the real world works.

And yeah, I didn't get mad with her. I got even.

None of it compares to when I was clerking a convenience store on Jeff Davis Avenue next to the Food Stamp office. My first Mormons ever came in to chat me up, I name-dropped Quetzalcoatl, and it was ON.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Dave calling out the Caller for selective editing:

When you're running stories on ice cream......

Well now we have to know the brand of the ice cream. Is it American made? Did the president offer his opinion on what other flavors he enjoys or does BIG CHOCOLATE have him bought and paid for? We need to know these pressing issues. 

24 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I spent my time in retail. Sounds like a lot of you guys waited tables in shitty places where low rung white trash evangelicals predominated.  Wendy's and Red Lobster and shit is not really the frame of reference that I would make broad generalizations on. Like I said, a certain selection bias in play.

Dude, Wendy's was a top 3 restaurant in my hometown.  I'm not sure I'm strengthening my argument, but so be it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Being more hellish than my fellow former waiters, I have no big church group stories to tell. I did have one Episcopal Priest I knew come sit at the bar (WHERE ELSE, b'doom tish,) and so I'm taking care of his beers and a couple tables. While I am around the corner this back-stabbin doxie I worked with jumped in and served him a refill, and collected the money AND THE TIP. On his way out he said Hi to me and that he'd paid.

So you have slimy coworkers and Episcopalian clergy utterly disconnected to how the real world works.

I have an Episcopalian clergy story.  I attended an E-preschool.  When I was about 45 years old, my Mom called me and asked "hey, did you ever feel like Father Carlo acted inappropriately with or around you?"

"Uh, no.  Why?"

"Well, he's being prosecuted as a pedophile."

Oh.  OK.  That's always a good reset before the weekend.  The dude I most looked up to might have diddled me and I was too young to know WTF was going on?

Fucking Episcopalians.  (Recovering Presbyterian here.)

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dude, Wendy's was a top 3 restaurant in my hometown.  I'm not sure I'm strengthening my argument, but so be it.

I'm pretty sure I went to college in your hometown, but not sure of the overlap. I would go with Lee's Fried Chicken, Kyoto, Alex's, Johnny Smokestack, then Wendy's. Still sad but true. 

Well, Lee's was after my time.  Yes on Alex's, that's great pizza.  Johnny's Smokestack -- home of the all you can eat Sunday BBQ feast, for which hundreds of students would starve and partake.  (And probably tip like shit.)

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, you are not really. I generally think that controlling for SES and other social determinants shakes all this shit out, but that doesn't quite generate the performative rhetoric that dominates this space.  

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, Lee's was after my time.  Yes on Alex's, that's great pizza.  Johnny's Smokestack -- home of the all you can eat Sunday BBQ feast, for which hundreds of students would starve and partake.  (And probably tip like shit.)

nice try mizzou.

No, you are not really. I generally think that controlling for SES and other social determinants shakes all this shit out, but that doesn't quite generate the performative rhetoric that dominates this space.  

Red lobster was my first gig....didn’t really get a church crowd that I can remember. SW side of Houston, pretty significant number of working class black guests. Their tipping was all over the place, but they were uniformly pretty nice. I really didn’t have any awful experiences there.

Then Birrapporettis in....River Oaks. Had some SUPER shitty tables there, including the old ladies l mentioned.

Then, Convict Hill here in Austin. On weekends and nights, drew an upper middle class crowd - we served steaks and wild game, so it wasn’t a cheap dinner. The nicest customers (although the tips weren’t big because the tabs were small because cheap lunch specials) were.....the blue collar guys from the Motorola plant. Never had a single issue with any of them, even if I only made $6 a table because their total tab was $24.

You’re fighting this so, so, so hard. And I really don’t know why, when it messes with what we all know the be true: the more conspicuous a “Christian” you are, the more likely you are to be a dick. You never argued with the fact that when you see someone advertise as a “Christian-owned” business....the smart thing to do is run, he’s about to cheat/gouge you.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You never argued with the fact that when you see someone advertise as a “Christian-owned” business....the smart thing to do is run, he’s about to cheat/gouge you.

Must have missed that argument laid out up thread. I am sure that you will be able to point me to it. 

You have some strange fixations my friend. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Wendy's and Red Lobster and shit is not really the frame of reference that I would make broad generalizations on

I can think of few establishments that provide a clearly more accurate representation of the American public.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

+1 for using the word of the month, "performative".

Must have missed that argument laid out up thread. I am sure that you will be able to point me to it. 
You have some strange fixations my friend. 

I will confess that hypocritical “Christians” inflicting cruelty and treating people shitty as they simultaneously loudly proclaim to serve Christ really grinds my gears, Peter griffin-style. It should grind yours, too.

On 5/25/2021 at 7:36 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I worked at Wendy's for a couple of years in HS, so my experience doesn't even include waiting tables . . . but that Sunday crowd was a total beating.  One couple would come in at lunch, bring the newspaper, get all-you-can-eat salad bar plates, and STAY ALL AFTERNOON until they were hungry enough again to eat dinner, all for that one price.  You gotta be some kind of cheap to go that far to avoid the cost of dinner.

How is this for cheap:

Schlotzsky's used to sell cups of soup for a couple of bucks. The soup was self serve, and they would put out free bread. I'd eat about 5 cups of soup, plus the free bread, and get a glass of water which I'd fill with tea or soda. Full meal for under three bucks.

In my defense, I was a starving student at the time.

8 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

How is this for cheap:

Schlotzsky's used to sell cups of soup for a couple of bucks. The soup was self serve, and they would put out free bread. I'd eat about 5 cups of soup, plus the free bread, and get a glass of water which I'd fill with tea or soda. Full meal for under three bucks.

In my defense, I was a starving student at the time.

My BIL would go to Fuddrucker's and get a bun for 40 cents and just load up on veggies and condiments at the veggie bar.

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’ve been out of pocket. Is Biden a bad tipper or something?

Despite being a dirty papist, survey says "no"...

*of fucking course the story involves a milk shake*

https://www.eater.com/2016/9/13/12904308/joe-biden-milkshake-big-tipper

Vice president Joe Biden is a very good tipper: Yesterday he popped into a diner in Rock Hill, South Carolina — flanked by Secret Service, of course — to grab a chocolate milkshake, and according to local paper the Herald, the unofficial Cool Uncle of the United States left a $20 gratuity.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/26/2021 at 1:35 AM, NWBuck said:

Actually, it's worse than that. 

They gather at restaurants as a part of the Sabbath rest their belief system requires. 

So, it's both on purpose and in conflict with their Biblical teaching

But pastor Buck, observing the Sabbath in that way is an outmoded concept in today's world, so we can relax the tenets of scripture  . . . oh . . . wait.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Is there a reason that Wendy’s, a fast food place with no table service or tips, is involved in this sidetrack or is someone going to unlock a segue into the prosperity gospel and gingers?

If you read my post, you should know the answer to this mind-bender.

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Red lobster was my first gig....didn’t really get a church crowd that I can remember. SW side of Houston, pretty significant number of working class black guests. Their tipping was all over the place, but they were uniformly pretty nice. I really didn’t have any awful experiences there.

Then Birrapporettis in....River Oaks. Had some SUPER shitty tables there, including the old ladies l mentioned.

Then, Convict Hill here in Austin. On weekends and nights, drew an upper middle class crowd - we served steaks and wild game, so it wasn’t a cheap dinner. The nicest customers (although the tips weren’t big because the tabs were small because cheap lunch specials) were.....the blue collar guys from the Motorola plant. Never had a single issue with any of them, even if I only made $6 a table because their total tab was $24.

You’re fighting this so, so, so hard. And I really don’t know why, when it messes with what we all know the be true: the more conspicuous a “Christian” you are, the more likely you are to be a dick. You never argued with the fact that when you see someone advertise as a “Christian-owned” business....the smart thing to do is run, he’s about to cheat/gouge you.

You no doubt served my family once or twice then. I grew up in Oak Hill. 

Alternate hypothesis: there’s a mostly even distribution of rude and cheap people across most demographics. There might be some trends among the cultures of various groups, but nothing that would explain the consistently stated experience of servers.

Therefore, the belief that the after-church crowd is unusually terrible can better be explained as a reaction to the plain hypocrisy of coming from church and treating a server poorly. There is probably a similar mix of rude and cheap people in all demographics, but the rude/cheap post church customers are more memorable.

Every server has that story. Don’t be one.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1