MMMMMMMM.....QUESO......

Mac8111

Yes, something more than Rotel and Velveeta. 

You folks had some pretty good recipes on the other site.  I know I have been using one of the recipes a bunch lately.  (The one that specified American cheese cut on #21 from the deli). 

I looked up Torchy's Recipe online and this one came up.  I will try it next time and see if it gets close.

Torchy's Queso Recipe

What else ya got?

Well, I’m here to help steer you to a slightly healthier and less cruel option, which also happens to taste better than any queso I’ve ever made. I’ve worked with lots of variations of this recipe to get the color, flavor, and consistency just right. Why? Because as a Texan, my rep is on the line here. Moreover, I want to show the world that you can make a remarkable dairy-free, cholesterol-free queso dip, no sweat. This recipe is also my most popular repeat request for catering gigs. People literally hover over the bowl and say, “Can you believe this isn’t cheese? Holy shit…” and that makes me feel good.

THE LITTLE FOXES’ GAME DAY CHILI CON QUESO

• Makes: 25 servings (or 1, if you’re a greedy queso-lover who eats off this for 4 days…)
  • Prep Time: 5 minutes
  • Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 white onion, finely diced
  • 1 packet of Trader Joe’s beef less ground beef (or heirloom beans, if you aren’t a faux meat type)
  • 1 tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tbsp ground cumin
  • 3/4 cup of light beer (I used Corona because I’m a high-roller)
  • 2 packages of Daiya Havarti Wedge with jalapeño and garlic, , diced in to cubes
  • 1 package of Daiya Cheddar Wedge, diced in to cubes
  • 3/4 cup red salsa (I use medium hot, chunky salsa, but this is a matter of preference. Use what you like)
  • 3/4 cup water to achieve desired consistency
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Legit corn tortilla chips for maximum dippage
  • For garnish: Finely-diced green onions, avocado slices, diced purple onion, or anything else you think sounds rad.

Assembly:

• In a saucepan over medium-to-high heat, combine oil, diced onions, beef less ground beef, and coat with spices. Allow to cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are slightly transparent (we still want them crunchy, so don’t cook them too much) and the spices have permeated the mixture.
  • Once cooked, add beer and simmer on lower heat for another 5 minutes.
  • Add cubed Daiya and salsa, stirring occasionally to encourage melting.
  • Once melted, add water (or additional beer, if you prefer) to achieve desired consistency. It should look like ‘dis:

The Little Foxes Ashlee Piper Vegan Chili Con Queso Recipe Cholesterol Free Vegetarian Daiya

• Add salt, pepper, and any preferred spices to taste. I sometimes kick this up a notch with hot sauce or red pepper flakes, but the key is to keep it not too spicy.
  • Ladle in to bowls or a crock pot and garnish with green onions (my favorite), avocado, purple onion, cilantro (if you’re in to that. I think it’s an abomination), lime wedges, or anything else that tickles your fancy. Serve with GOOD CORN TORTILLA CHIPS (no Tostito’s here, people), and go to town. Pop a cold beer and enjoy.
  • Be prepared for total world domination. Cover and store in refrigerator for up to a week. Reheat in saucepan or microwave. Pray to the Daiya gods.

You're welcome.

[Ducking......]

Oh for fuck's sake, you didn't think I was serious, did you?

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

One block of Valveeta (not the bullshit HEB easy melt)

2 cans Rotel

2 Serranos chopped

1 pound Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage cooked

Handful of chopped cilantro

Literally the first (serious) response blew the conditions.  Shaggy Surly, you never disappoint.

Yes, something more than Rotel and Velveeta. 

It’s been covered that velveeta and it’s processed off brand brothers are what almost every Mexican restaurant uses for their queso. Mexican restaurant queso is what I’m usually shooting for so not going to fuck with it.

This right here. Houston Chronicle had an article on restaurant queso about 4 years ago and the best chefs use velveeta or they are lying.

I know I have been using one of the recipes a bunch lately.  (The one that specified American cheese cut on #21 from the deli). 

Wait....someone posted a queso recipe that required cheese to be CUT a certain way? Do you understand the process of how melting works?

I'm sure some queso-nerd will totally pwn me, but I have generally found that the crazy complicated queso recipes are no better (and oftentimes worse) than the basics with some slight twists/additional flavors.

I am not going to go out and collect a vial of free range milk-cow tears just to make fucking queso.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

One block of Valveeta (not the bullshit HEB easy melt)

2 cans Rotel

2 Serranos chopped

1 pound Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage cooked

Handful of chopped cilantro

Exactly, If you must foodie it then switch out the Jimmy Dean for some ground beed/venison mix in hunting season.

It's queso.

Edited by SimonBolivar

43 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Wait....someone posted a queso recipe that required cheese to be CUT a certain way? Do you understand the process of how melting works?

I'm sure some queso-nerd will totally pwn me, but I have generally found that the crazy complicated queso recipes are no better (and oftentimes worse) than the basics with some slight twists/additional flavors.

I am not going to go out and collect a vial of free range milk-cow tears just to make fucking queso.

But the free-range, hand-curated milk cow tears give it a great, artisanal mouth-feel.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, TornACL said:

calm down bra....21 refers to the thickness of the slice from the block and 5 slices works out to the proper weigh, and just makes prep easier when you cube it.  One less step, and the last reason is some dumbass would get the cheese sliced on #1

American Cheese

Boars Head and the like >= Land O Lakes easy melt > HEB American White or Yellow>Velveeta > rest

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

It’s been covered that velveeta and it’s processed off brand brothers are what almost every Mexican restaurant uses for their queso. Mexican restaurant queso is what I’m usually shooting for so not going to fuck with it.

this is something I’ve wondered about for years.  is it possible to make traditional tex-mex queso without velveeta?  does real cheese just not melt that way?

this is something I’ve wondered about for years.  is it possible to make traditional tex-mex queso without velveeta?  does real cheese just not melt that way?

Sure, it's just not really worth it, especially for a home cook. You could make a light roux and then add the cheeses and milk/cream and so long as you have enough roux it will emulsify the cheese and make a smooth sauce. It's basically like making the sauce for mac and cheese.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's the magic bullet.  It definitely works, but you have to be careful -- use more than necessary and you'll probably taste it.

Do you have a recipe that definitely works with the sodium citrate?  Tried it for the Super Bowl, and it wasn't perfect, but I was making a trillion other things and may not have found a good recipe or exercised proper care.

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Do you have a recipe that definitely works with the sodium citrate?  Tried it for the Super Bowl, and it wasn't perfect, but I was making a trillion other things and may not have found a good recipe or exercised proper care.

Picking cheeses with bad melt and flow consistency and then jamming them up with sodium citrate seems like a roundabout way to get right back to Velveeta.

For the gourmet mac and cheese recipe for example any substitution of cheeses greatly increases the risk of turning rich creamy cheese sauce into a clumpy piece of shit mess.

10 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

I looked up Torchy's Recipe online and this one came up.  I will try it next time and see if it gets close.

Torchy's Queso Recipe 

16 ingredients???!?!

16 FUCKING INGREDIENTS TO MAKE QUESO?!?!?!?!?

Here's mine:

campbellsCondensed-Cheddar-Cheese1.jpg
Don't laugh until you try it.  My best friend's mom in high school 30+ years ago used this.  It still works.

Heat and stir in some milk.   When it's hot, add this, probably 6oz for each can:

Half of this per can, fried up, dump it in, stir:

WALLAH!

Edited by Beau Vine

^^^^ 

Some restaurants add the cheddar cheese condensed soup, in addition to the easy-melting processed cheese.  The soup helps keep the mixture from coagulating, but using the processed cheese also keeps the flavor and texture the same as most expect from restaurant queso.

queso blanco

monterrey jack

mild cheddar

American yellow cheese

heavy cream

salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, whatever else floats your queso spice boat

cilantro

chile peppers like a jalapeno, hatch or serrano

meat of some sort

avocado or guac if you want to balance it out with those healthy fats

melt and serve with whatever quantities you want

Edited by Doc Holliday

2 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

thread is worthless without chips

For Queso or any other heavier dip I like HEB chips from the bakery dept. They are sturdy enough so not as to break off in the dip every damn time, and make good nachos as well. Pretty close to the thick ones you get at a tortilleria. 

This is my go-to. Pretty sure this is the only reason I survived Harvey. 

• 1 lb white American cheese 
  • 1/2 lb Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1/3 cup whole milk
  • 4 Hatch chiles
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
  • olive oil, salt, pepper

• 2 years later...

1 tube of mexican chorizo

1 link of jalapeno smoked sausage, diced small

4 strips of bacon, diced small

1 small onion, diced

1 poblano, diced

1 jalapeno, diced

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 tomato, diced

brick of asadero cheese, grated

Fry up all those meats in a cast iron skillet.  Add the bacon first and let it go for a few minutes, then the chorizo and the sausage last.  Throw in the onion and peppers. Go for a few minutes.  Drain some grease or not.  Add the tomatoes and garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Turn it down to low and add cheese.  Cover and cook until melted. If you want it thinner, add a bit of milk until you get it where you want it.

• 7 months later...