COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

1 minute ago, gyroprotagonist said:

tend to agree, but youngest just turned 11, so right at the cutoff now.  early next year we are looking to travel overseas and there are (or at least were; have not checked in a while) still vax requirements for entry.  we cancelled a big fam trip to Europe that we are looking to rebook.  would much rather just have the whole fam unit vaxed up.

Cool. I’ve heard it’s a beating going overseas. I was told by a buddy to avoid UK/Heathrow at all costs. Their rules are all fucked up. 

• Fuck You 2

5 hours ago, Hate said:

I was at a bar last night and this guy next to me worked for the FBI. He was repeated this as well and said he had two or three nurse friends tell him this. He said that each new positive test was being counted as a new infection.

Are you still drunk from the bar last night? Cuz these three sentences make no sense.

• Haha 2

Pretty wild seeing what's happening in Tennessee right now. TN Dept of Health has been ordered to remove the agency logo from any documents providing vaccine info to the public and end all COVID-19 vaccine events at schools, even though they've mostly served adults. And, if teens get a two-dose vaccine, it won't remind them to go back for their second dose. Teens are intentionally stripped from the mailing list for reminder postcards.

Seems.... Counterproductive to fighting a viral pandemic.

• Rage+1 1

I would submit, unsurprisingly, that there’s no justification for an EUA in that age group given their age, the lack of severity of their disease, and the low community levels of Covid. It should go through standard BLA approval which can take months longer. 

Long story short, this is no longer an emergency so no need to rush these approvals especially for children. 
My wife and I got vaxxed as soon as we possibly could.

Our oldest turns 6 in November, and unless a new variant is shown to be more dangerous to children he will not be getting the vaccine for a long time.

For adults the risk/reward of vaccination makes sense even with the unknown long term impact of the vaccine. For a six year old, given the extreme limited risk of covid for this age group, it does not.
  • Like 3

Pretty wild seeing what's happening in Tennessee right now. TN Dept of Health has been ordered to remove the agency logo from any documents providing vaccine info to the public and end all COVID-19 vaccine events at schools, even though they've mostly served adults. And, if teens get a two-dose vaccine, it won't remind them to go back for their second dose. Teens are intentionally stripped from the mailing list for reminder postcards.
Seems.... Counterproductive to fighting a viral pandemic.

The most wild thing about it is that it’s wholly unsurprising. We are a painfully stupid nation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Hate said:

I was at a bar last night and this guy next to me worked for the FBI. He was repeated this as well and said he had two or three nurse friends tell him this. He said that each new positive test was being counted as a new infection.

Was this the guy?

im so funny parks and recreation GIF

6 hours ago, HouTex said:

Many nurses, for some reason, are avoiding the shots. My father is in the hospital quite often battling the last stages of Parkinson’s and just old age and last week when he was there the folks at Methodist Hospital said that the Memorial system has around 130 nurses that can’t come to work because they wouldn’t get the shot. They were incredibly short staffed.

My sister, BiL, and oldest niece are all nurses and have been for the vaccines since the beginning.  My BiL surprised me b/c he's a bit trumpy. 

31 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Our oldest turns 6 in November, and unless a new variant is shown to be more dangerous to children he will not be getting the vaccine for a long time.

For adults the risk/reward of vaccination makes sense even with the unknown long term impact of the vaccine. For a six year old, given the extreme limited risk of covid for this age group, it does not.

Common sense honestly. The discouraging part is the CDC wanting to link vaccination with mask wearing in all children. Fortunately in Texas we will largely ignore that. Other places not so much. For those that are strident supporters of the CDC recs here are some other humorous ones to consider. 

• Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Common sense honestly. The discouraging part is the CDC wanting to link vaccination with mask wearing in all children. Fortunately in Texas we will largely ignore that. Other places not so much. For those that are strident supporters of the CDC recs here are some other humorous ones to consider. 

Some of those are pretty funny. 

On 7/13/2021 at 9:27 AM, HouTex said:

Many nurses, for some reason, are avoiding the shots. My father is in the hospital quite often battling the last stages of Parkinson’s and just old age and last week when he was there the folks at Methodist Hospital said that the Memorial system has around 130 nurses that can’t come to work because they wouldn’t get the shot. They were incredibly short staffed.

This info is fairly suspect. Not you, but the source.  If you're referencing the Memorial Hermann system, I don't believe they have yet required their current employees to be vaccinated. It's very likely that they've required new employees to be vaccinated as part of onboarding but I haven't heard of mandatory vaccines for current employees.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Some of those are pretty funny. 

Did not expect to see Ben Shapiro in that set of clips.  I was just thinking about his visit to Home Depot earlier this year.  

If only his dad had put a bag on his wood like young Ben did, the world would be a better place.  

This info is fairly suspect. Not you, but the source.  If you're referencing the Memorial Hermann system, I don't believe they have yet required their current employees to be vaccinated. It's very likely that they've required new employees to be vaccinated as part of onboarding but I haven't heard of mandatory vaccines for current employees.

The Memorial Herman reference was a mistake. I meant to type the Methodist system. That’s what they told my mother as the reason why they were having a different time caring for my father.

Another anecdotal bit on healthcare types refusing the shot.  My wife and I (along with any of my coworkers who wanted it) were able to get our first Pfizer shots in late December because the Christus system hospital here had so many people refuse it, and the doses were going to "go bad."  So they called the county, which sent over the DA's office and court personnel (including our state appellate judiciary office).  There were a lot of people there during that two days.  So I'm guessing a lot of healthcare types had to have refused to allow that to happen.

22 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

UK says no mass vax of teenagers. only vulnerable.  most likely the right call.

But muh CDC says teenage boys that have already had covid and have myocarditis with first dose should still get second dose. #science #experts

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

But muh CDC says teenage boys that have already had covid and have myocarditis with first dose should still get second dose. #science #experts

Dude the science is the same for both countries. It is what the reports and publications say. Your issue here is the judgements being made, maybe phrase it as such. That’s not science. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Dude the science is the same for both countries. It is what the reports and publications say. Your issue here is the judgements being made, maybe phrase it as such. That’s not science. 

Exactly. There’s multiple reasonable interpretations of the same data. People here act like our judgments are infallible and final. #science 

• Fuck You 1

51 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

They apparently are running out of Pfizer shots and aren’t scheduled to get more until September. 

well that could be the case. certainly a good decision if you are running low.  "running low" or "not being able to afford it" could be a convenient excuse as well.  I guess we will see in September.

The Memorial Herman reference was a mistake. I meant to type the Methodist system. That’s what they told my mother as the reason why they were having a different time caring for my father.

Memorial Hermann is having staffing issues, I know that from experience, but I have no idea if it’s COVID-related

On 7/8/2021 at 5:52 PM, Xian said:

One of my employee’s kid and wife got it from that. All unvaccinated. Fucker came to work and said he was late due to having to take care of sick family members. WTF.   Told him to GTF out.

Update. He never got very sick but wife has it bad.  Been in the hospital for awhile. I’m worried for both of them.  

21 minutes ago, Xian said:

Update. He never got very sick but wife has it bad.  Been in the hospital for awhile. I’m worried for both of them.  

If you have a hair on your ass you will tell him that if his PTO runs out there will be no borrowing against future accrual, no donating from other employees, and no unpaid time off. Sometimes poor decisions have consequences. 

well actually that cruel for the sake of cruelty so maybe don’t do that.  But is that kind of decision making what you want in an employee?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If you have a hair on your ass you will tell him that if his PTO runs out there will be no borrowing against future accrual, no donating from other employees, and no unpaid time off. Sometimes poor decisions have consequences. 

well actually that cruel for the sake of cruelty so maybe don’t do that.  But is that kind of decision making what you want in an employee?

It's probably incredibly rough on him, but assuming things turn out okay for them, maybe a quiet reminder a month or two after their ordeal is over that "hey, we aren't going to repeat this in 2022 with your family getting sick and you coming into the office with it."

• Like 3

What’s crazy is that he was honestly the model employee until now. Never missed work, comes early, stays late.  Always finished the job in a proper way without creating future issues. 

he was just brainwashed.  I was furious at first. Now I’m just sad.  His Wife is everything to him. To make things worse, they just gained custody of theirgrandkid due to the fact their oldest son died. 

I’m crushed for them 

• Like 1

This is a thread I wished never existed. I got my shots and hoping and praying that’s enough. I pretty much still wear my mask out of habit or fear. There are loved ones here I cannot see. I suck it up and move on. I thought getting my vaxx would be the work done. It’s not. What pisses me off just as much as those who doubt the science (or any number of reasons they are basically 1 out 5 people won’t get A shot and they ain’t all white) that in spite of all of the sacrifices most of us here have done, people sARE STILL going home to their loved ones overseas and spread some more. Really? In my neighborhood I can count houses for 5 months or more where they haven’t been back. 

If it makes me heartless to say this idgaf…go to your home country and stay there or it’s called FaceTime. Im pissed that we cannot talk about the origin of the virus. Im pissed that the people who kept saying the origins of said virus was not in a lab. You are as big of imbeciles as the people who won’t get a shot. It came from a lab. China sucks ass. Fuck em. I can’t see two people that I care about because of people who won’t get vaxed Even though TRUMP got a vaccination. Dumb motherfuckers. Just as dumb as denying the virus origins.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 1:19 PM, Bill Lumbergh said:

I know a physician & professor who thinks vaccinating children is completely unnecessary & she basically has to keep quiet about her medical opinion bc she doesn't want to deal with the backlash. That's wild a medical professional (this isn't some quack, she's very good at her job) has to silence themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I know a physician & professor who thinks vaccinating children is completely unnecessary & she basically has to keep quiet about her medical opinion bc she doesn't want to deal with the backlash. That's wild a medical professional (this isn't some quack, she's very good at her job) has to silence themselves. 

My neighbor’s best friend’s dad died from COVID. He was a doctor and refused the vaccination. Some doctors are dumb asses.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, lmao said:

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

My neighbor’s best friend’s dad died from COVID. He was a doctor and refused the vaccination. Some doctors are dumb asses.

I have a high opinion of physicians but the opinion of one physician doesn’t mean much. They also may not have much other vaccine information than you have. Obviously they have more overall medical knowledge than a non-physician but I imagine there are many non-physicians that know more about the vaccine than every single physician.

Vaccinating kids for covid is a tough call for parents. There is no right answer, imo. You don’t know until later and then it’s too late.

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Sorry for my rant earlier. If my post is as not already deleted it should be. My dad’s bday was yesterday. Brilliant guy. But he also thought Radio Shack was a front for drug runners. 

I agreed with your rant though.

lol about Rat Shack... one of my brother’s junior high classmates became the president of Tandy Corporation. He was a super nerd.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dealer at my poker table said she has been around people with Covid and she didn’t get it so she’s clearly just not going to get it. She was also looking for transportation to the next series and said there was a bus but you had to be vaxxed to take the bus, how stupid. Then joked she should forge a vax card. Uh or you could take 30 minutes and $0 and get vaxxed you stupid shithead toddler
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Interesting thread here speculating on where we’re heading. 

I will say this -- I very much agree with the conclusion that we need some honest policy discussion about the outcome we are going to get, and what we should shoot for.  And in either case, this will be an endemic illness, and more people are going to die.  But that is the case with the measles, the flu, and other illnesses, and we've demonstrated that we can live with that kind of outcome.

Elimination of infections is not an achievable goal, no matter how well we do from here on out.  Neither is elimination of further variants, of hospitalizations, or of deaths.  COVID will be among us for decades to come, it will occasionally mutate to a more dangerous/vaccine-evasive form, and we'll need boosters, and not everyone will get the boosters, so the virus will still do what viruses do.

And that's the best we're going to do.

Human ingenuity gave us a way to all but defeat COVID.  But human stupidity is stronger and ultimately will win, so we just need to negotiate the best armistice that we can.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

We were never going to get a double dose regimen administered world wide at sufficient rates in a small enough time frame to keep this from becoming endemic.  Realistically by the time we knew it was a problem in early December it was probably already too late.  That's not human stupidity (although our lagging vaccination rate in the US is stupid), it's a function of a connected world and how vaccines are manufactured and administered.

I still think it's crazy for anyone who might travel anywhere to not want their kids vacc'd ASAP.  The twitter thread linked above laid it out pretty simply: you're going to be exposed.  If you're vacc'd and have a breakthrough infection, it'll almost certainly be mild (~750 deaths in the US out of 161 million fully vacc'd) unless you're already seriously ill.  It doesn't matter if it's a gas station in rural Arkansas or a beach in Mexico, there's going to be exposure to covid moving forward.  Limiting the severity and the number of infections across age groups seems like a no brainer to me.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I’ve been fully vaccinated via Moderna since March, and am going a minute clinic tomorrow as I’ve had what appears to be a sinus infection since about Friday…no fever, aches, taste/smell impact.  I may get tested just to be safe, but based on what I’ve read it’s a pretty slim chance I’d be positive…correct?  

No one else in family has any issues.