COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7794597/

In a multiple linear regression, significant predictors of vaccination intent were general vaccine knowledge (β = 0.311, p < .001), rejection of vaccine conspiracies (β = −0.117, p = .003), perceived severity of COVID-19 (β = 0.273, p < .001), influenza vaccine uptake (β = 0.178, p < .001), having ≥ 5 pre-existing conditions (β = 0.098, p = .003), being male (β = 0.119, p < .001), household income of ≥ $120,000 (β = 0.110, p = .004), identifying as a Democrat (β = 0.075, p < .029), and not relying upon social media for virus information (β = -0.090, p 〈0 0 2). Intent to vaccinate was lower for Fox News (57.3%) than CNN/MSNBC viewers (76.4%) (χ2 (1) = 12.68, p < .001). Political party differences in threat appraisals and vaccine conspiracy beliefs are described.

1 hour ago, Samson&#x27;s Wig said:

The fact that "educated" people are being complete dumbasses is a sign that the education system has failed us, in my opinion.  We do not consistently teach critical thinking at any level of education.  Anything that sounds logical or rational will convince a certain percentage of the public.  The problem with reason and logic is that they are limited by your knowledge base. 

People who have degrees, especially law degrees, from Princeton, Harvard, Yale, UT, etc. were not failed by the education system.

The people I'm talking about want the votes and the donations that come with taking certain stances on the issues around covid.  If you want to know more, you know where CR is.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

People who have degrees, especially law degrees, from Princeton, Harvard, Yale, UT, etc. were not failed by the education system.

I'm in this exact group, and I know plenty of dumbasses amongst fellow alumni. Obviously, these institutions can provide a great education if you take advantage of the opportunity, but they're a tiny segment of our education system (and those who end up in these institutions still rode the memorize and regurgitate train to get there). I agree that there are also plenty who know better but are simply milking the dummies.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

For like the 100th time- I'm fully vaxxed and have told literally everyone I've ever talked to on the subject that I'm fully vaxxed and said they should get vaxxed. 

I'm literally trying to have a conversation with someone else about why people might not be vaxxed where we explore multiple different theories for why that might be, which is sort of the entire point of a thread titled "Covid 19 Vaccine discussion" and pretty much the reason this thread is 121 pages long as opposed to 3 posts long.

From a practical perspective one could argue that exploring the reasons why people aren't vaxxed is important in trying to craft an argument for why they should get vaxxed but I wouldn't know that at all because I once hit a low bridge with the top of my RV so I'm a moron that you hope dies.  

Blah blah blah, I lost you at the regard level.  Stop making excuses for the ignorant.  Get vaxed or get fucked.  

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The people I'm talking about want the votes and the donations that come with taking certain stances on the issues around covid.  If you want to know more, you know where CR is.

The stupidest people I have met have law degrees from Princeton.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/11/2021 at 2:04 PM, XYZ said:

Why would anybody go to texags?

I must admit perusing it, for no other reason than I don't know ANYONE personally who has the pervasive mindset most of them do.  Sure I have conservative friends, hell, I am center right myself, but my friends keep their politics to themselves.  We're all smart enough to know nothing good comes from it.  But that echo chamber just reinforces their dipshittery.  It's gotten to the point over there that getting the vaccine is a sign of weakness.  It is absolutely mindblowing.  

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Sbbruin said:

I must admit perusing it, for no other reason than I don't know ANYONE personally who has the pervasive mindset most of them do.  Sure I have conservative friends, hell, I am center right myself, but my friends keep their politics to themselves.  We're all smart enough to know nothing good comes from it.  But that echo chamber just reinforces their diphittery.  It's gotten to the point over there that getting the vaccine is a sign of weakness.  It is absolutely mindblowing.  

Those of us who grew up here are not surprised at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I must admit perusing it, for no other reason than I don't know ANYONE personally who has the pervasive mindset most of them do.  Sure I have conservative friends, hell, I am center right myself, but my friends keep their politics to themselves.  We're all smart enough to know nothing good comes from it.  But that echo chamber just reinforces their diphittery.  It's gotten to the point over there that getting the vaccine is a sign of weakness.  It is absolutely mindblowing.  

They are bad.  Real bad.  Our Cloak Room is better.  But not by much.  

And any person who is an adult who does not get a vaccine, is just a GD idiot.  I like to think my family is smart -- we are all vaxxed except my sister. I love her.  But I don't know how to talk to her about this.  Because I just want to tell her she is a fucking idiot.  But I won't.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

And any person who is an adult who does not get a vaccine, is just a GD idiot.  I like to think my family is smart -- we are all vaxxed except my sister. I love her.  But I don't know how to talk to her about this.  Because I just want to tell her she is a fucking idiot.  But I won't.

I have a sister who is one of the only unvaxxed I know, and we are not really on speaking terms because she is an idiot.  So I don't have to tell her.  But she knows what I think.

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Did my semi annual tour de Texags just now. Holy shit they are dug in, smug as fuck, and righteously dumb. Anyone not in agreement is a libtard. All Anti Vax, anti mask, its all a hoax, but still taking horse paste and smug about that too. "Chin diapers don't work, I'm smerter than all the Doctors around the globe." Fucking the same chicken 18 months later. Hunter Biden!. And Mike Lindell is legit and respected in their eyes whilst they watch his latest symposium of horseshit and incompetence..

I know this board is prone to hyperbole but we also evolve as facts come to light. I mean I sprayed my groceries down with alcohol for a few months. I stopped that and can both laugh at myself and note I was being cautious until more was known.

They can't move on from a position no matter how much evidence comes out. Not even a little.

We are so fucked, there is no reaching these dumb bastards, and they revel in their own stupidity. If they step in dog shit and track it inside, they will find a way to brag on that too.

We used to marginalize idiots, now they self-publish falsehoods and sit around eating this horseshit with a grin.

Then realize that these dudes on TexAgs, most of whom attendee Texas A&M, are actually the smartest and brightest of the “dumb bastards.” Maybe brisket is right. We’re fucked.

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I have a sister who is one of the only unvaxxed I know, and we are not really on speaking terms because she is an idiot.  So I don't have to tell her.  But she knows what I think.

This sister does not believe in vaccines and uses a chiropractor for her family's medical needs.  It drives me and my wife nuts. I have a hard time not showing the disgust on my face in light of that stupidity.

• Fuck You 1

Research - texaggy and secreant are vectors in the spread of misinformation. 
Yeah I like a peek at what crazy shit half this state including family are passing around. A couple minutes twice a year or so is enough. Actually hearing my families' shitty takes would just make me pissed at them. I can kind of ignore it then, but still be aware and unsurprised by dumb decisions and the political winds.

Yet an apparently decent sized group that don’t trust big pharma have no problem taking ivermectin, which was developed by little old Merck 40 years ago. 

There’s no money in ivermectin, and it has been around for a very long time. Neither of those things can be said about the covid vaccines. That makes certain people feel better about it.

At this point, I don't think there are very many people who can still be convinced to get vaccinated.  The stats (at least in CO) prove that out.  Maybe a couple thousand a day are getting their first shots.  People are dug in and they're not going to do it unless they are forced to do it.

I thought the vax numbers were on the rise?

The people I know who haven’t gotten vaxxed just think it was rushed and want to give it more time and get full FDA approval. They aren’t conspiracy theorist anti-vaxxers. One is the family next door and they finally waited long enough to feel comfortable and got vaxxed last week.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Buzzrock said:

I thought the vax numbers were on the rise?

The people I know who haven’t gotten vaxxed just think it was rushed and want to give it more time and get full FDA approval. They aren’t conspiracy theorist anti-vaxxers. One is the family next door and they finally waited long enough to feel comfortable and got vaxxed last week.

Maybe it's trending differently in the south, but not up here.    

They have studies that show the #1 predicter of whether or not someone is vaccinated is whether or not they voted for Trump.  Sure, there are other reasons out there, some of which you listed, but that's #1.  You ever try and logically get through to a Trumper?  He has even come out and said people should get vaccinated, but he didn't do it until months after he left office.  He did an insurmountable amount of damage while he was still in office, including getting vaxxed in secret.  For these people it's too late.  They would rather die (and many are) than get vaccinated.

That's why I say it's time for the stick.  If left to their own devices, this disease is never going to really go away.

Is it ever going to go away? Delta is worldwide now, and can still infect those who are vaccinated. Since it can’t be eradicated, it could keep mutating. Epsilon could be completely resistant to the vaccine.

Question for the doctors: I read something that suggested that vaccinating everyone could be a bad idea because it would be better to let the low-risk people fight Covid off naturally and only vaccinate the at-risk. The idea was that natural immunity creates a more hostile environment for viruses, and if we shortcut natural immunity then everyone’s immune system will be trained the same and therefore less able to fight off mutant strains.

Does that idea hold water?

So fun story from the neighborhood--local mom who divorced her (complete douchebag) husband about four years ago is getting stories from her kids about how her ex is telling them that the vaccine causes infertility and whatnot.  But that's not the fun part.  The kids say that he is running around town claiming to be vaxxed at places so he doesn't have to wear a mask.

She just sent him a letter saying "tell me when you are going to get your vaccine this week, or else we will go discuss the matter with Judge Meachum."

I know Judge Meachum.  That's not going to be a fun hearing for him.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I've already said what would be effective.  No more airplanes, concerts, movies, restaurants, football games, et al unless you're either vaxxed or have a documented medical reason for not being vaxxed (signed off by an actual MD).  That would get most of them because if there is something they like more than taking horse paste, it's a weekend trip to Cabo, or going to an SEC football game (guess that includes you guys now).

And don't run it through those cards, do a system like the EU is doing (CO has one set up as well) where it's a QR code on your phone that gets scanned through an app.  You want effective?  That would be effective.  I seriously doubt the political will exists to do it, though.  Which sucks.  

Ok it has been mentioned several times now: what the fuck is horse paste?

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Is it ever going to go away? Delta is worldwide now, and can still infect those who are vaccinated. Since it can’t be eradicated, it could keep mutating. Epsilon could be completely resistant to the vaccine.

No, it's never going away as in gone.  It's endemic now and we'll have to live with it.  But these huge spikes will eventually go away, through a combination of vaccination and infection.  Hopefully we can get to that point before a variant comes along that is vaccine resistant.  It's a race.  Either we get there first or the virus does.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Up thread somebody is saying CDC was going to recommend booster shots. 

Any ideas if “booster” is just another shot of normal vaccine? Would you have to get same brand? I am guessing yes on that. 

Honestly been contemplating getting 2 of different flavor since it is so plentiful now. But maybe I should not do that cause I am sure the dumb fucks in ICU now want that shot as soon as possible. 😬

16 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Question for the doctors: I read something that suggested that vaccinating everyone could be a bad idea because it would be better to let the low-risk people fight Covid off naturally and only vaccinate the at-risk. The idea was that natural immunity creates a more hostile environment for viruses, and if we shortcut natural immunity then everyone’s immune system will be trained the same and therefore less able to fight off mutant strains.

Does that idea hold water?

I don’t know if I necessarily buy that, but it does make sense that any vaccine resistant strain is most likely to emerge when substantial amounts of vaccinated individuals are getting infected and passing the virus around. Hopefully that doesn’t happen. 

55 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Whatever you may think of various parts of Surly, unlike TexAgs and SECRant/Tiger Droppings, none of us on Surly ever openly bought into the Q/Qanon bashittery, and the mods here would not have tolerated it if we did.

But I am concerned that other UT fan sites probably did.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So fun story from the neighborhood--local mom who divorced her (complete douchebag) husband about four years ago is getting stories from her kids about how her ex is telling them that the vaccine causes infertility and whatnot.

If it truly caused infertility, there's a shitload of men who would be on their 3rd and 4th booster.

• Haha 1

No, it's never going away as in gone.  It's endemic now and we'll have to live with it.  But these huge spikes will eventually go away, through a combination of vaccination and infection.  Hopefully we can get to that point before a variant comes along that is vaccine resistant.  It's a race.  Either we get there first or the virus does.

But if we can’t get rid of it, and vaccinated people can contract and transmit it, what’s to stop it from mutating into a vaccine-resistant strain at any point in in the future? Or are we just hoping that the historical trend of viruses mutating to be more transmissible but less severe holds true?

17 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Ok it has been mentioned several times now: what the fuck is horse paste?

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Ivermectin purchased through a vet or at Tractor Supply.  It's literally meant for horses but dumb fucks are taking it themselves.

It's anti-parasite medication in a large tube mixed with apple flavoring and who knows what else.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Whatever you may think of various parts of Surly, unlike TexAgs and SECRant/Tiger Droppings, none of us on Surly ever openly bought into the Q/Qanon bashittery, and the mods here would not have tolerated it if we did.

But I am concerned that other UT fan sites probably did.

The Russian collusion and other bullshit that was rampant in the cloak room was a horse of the same color.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The Russian collusion and other bullshit that was rampant in the cloak room was a horse of the same color.  

I engaged triple once on that. Like- you realize you are bat shit crazy and around the bend as a nutter- right?  Narrator voice “he didn’t”.

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, XYZ said:

No. We know that covid infects different animals, so it’s circulating (and mutating) in the animal world.

My batshit crazy aggy BIL thinks the reports of infected deer is a ploy by the government to take guns away from hunters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, slorch said:

I am vaccinated.  My immediate family is too.

The call for papers is strange, yet and still.  Guess I'm a sinner for not embracing the total 'solution.'

If we call it a ticket instead of “papers” would you be OK with it? Or do you never go to sporting events, concerts, or movies?