COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Still >2500 spike antibodies. Full dose moderna booster on 08/28/21.

Also still N-ab negative. 

Do you think Moderna folks will need a 4th shot?  The antibody numbers seem to be staying high and not tailing off like they did after the 2nd shot.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Do you think Moderna folks will need a 4th shot?  The antibody numbers seem to be staying high and not tailing off like they did after the 2nd shot.

If you made me put some money on it, I would guess that in the near to medium term, it will only be recommended for very specific high risk groups.

For healthy immunocompetent people, I don't think so.  Of course some new variant, or a new sequence targeting a specific variant, or as more time passes could change all that.

I was surprise that my levels were still that high, but I did do a full dose instead of the gimp half dose booster. 

I was surprised that my level was still >2500 six months after my Pfizer booster. Six months after my second shot, I was 366.

Who knows what any of it means, though. I know two people who had a full third dose of Moderna who caught it and ended up really under the weather. It all just seems like a crapshoot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Deej said:

I was surprised that my level was still >2500 six months after my Pfizer booster. Six months after my second shot, I was 366.

Who knows what any of it means, though. I know two people who had a full third dose of Moderna who caught it and ended up really under the weather. It all just seems like a crapshoot. 

Me too.  I will hold off a while unless there is something variant specific, sort of like with flu shots, or just depending what things look like in the months to come.  But if I'm out of range as of last week, I don't know what more of the same is going to do for me, especially with Omicron petering off like it has.

The rT our county is 0.41 and the school district only has 3 reported cases this week.  So I'm not worrying much about it much.

L-I-V-I-N

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m all for getting back to living. With 80% of US eligible vaccinated, and Omicron wave looking to have crested, it’s hard not to think that we are moving into the “living with Covid” phase of American life. 
But…

I check the daily US stats sometimes. Daily cases have dropped a lot from a month ago. Deaths are still low four figures per day. In an old, bad flu season, you would see 60,000 US deaths from fly, mostly the elderly and youngest. That would mean 2,500 or so deaths per week in flu season. Right now, we are seeing low five figure deaths per week. 
Is this the new normal? If so, it sucks. 
As far as vaccinations, I intend to stay up on them. I wish the new administration had not shut down Project Warpspeed, as it would be nice to have them developing targeted jabs for the future. I’m against mandating vaccinations and masks, for reasons philosophical and practical, but married to someone with a lupus-like disease, I intend to continue to modify behavior and stay vaxed up. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

Has anyone gotten shingles after getting their vaccine? I have a nasty blistery spot on my right arm as of this last week. And like shingles, it’s localized in one area of the body.

Da fuck?

Shingles sub reddit has some threads and people saying they got it a few months after their second dose…I’m at about 5 on mine.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Has anyone gotten shingles after getting their vaccine? I have a nasty blistery spot on my right arm as of this last week. And like shingles, it’s localized in one area of the body.

Da fuck?

Shingles sub reddit has some threads and people saying they got it a few months after their second dose…I’m at about 5 on mine.

Shingles happens. And has forever. Vaccine or no vaccine.

Hell, I had it 3 months before anyone ever heard about Covid. Silver dollar sized spot on my back. Why I got it? Who the fuck knows? Doctor sure didn’t.

I’m going to have to agree with Captainant on this one.

I have no problem believing that people got shingles a few months after the second dose. Because people get shingles all of the time.

Good luck. Shingles hurts like a son of a bitch, but, the sooner you start taking those huge Valtrex pills, the better.

12 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Da fuck?

Yes, me. Three months after second dose.

Team Moderna - Boost 11/11.

Still negative for natural AB which is crazy since I spelt in the same bed with my CV+ wife for almost a week over Xmas before we realized she had it. Still out of range for the spike ABs which is nice considering my first CARES draw showed I was down to 291 six months after my second dose. No shingles yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/25/2022 at 11:08 PM, Caponata said:

Just tested positive with the at-home test. Slight fever, chills, feels like a bad hangover. How long did you guys have symptoms for? 

That sucks. Hope you feel better soon. Not that it matters all that much, but anyway to know if this is considered omicron? Or if there is anyway for a lay person to find out if they contracted omicron as opposed to any other variant?

22 minutes ago, achooloco said:

That sucks. Hope you feel better soon. Not that it matters all that much, but anyway to know if this is considered omicron? Or if there is anyway for a lay person to find out if they contracted omicron as opposed to any other variant?

When I got omicron, I had this weird brain fog immediately. That wasn't a first symptom of the other variants. Not everyone gets it of course.

• Hook 'Em 1

Got my 3rd Texas Cares Draw the other day.  Results are...confusing.  Spike was 1102 in late August, 711 in late Nov, and now 141 in late Feb.

My first shot was late Feb last year, 2nd was late March.  I'm still negative for N antibodies despite my wife and 2yo having PCR confirmed cases in mid December. I was taking care of them so no distancing or masking measures in the house.  I never tested positive with PCR or rapid tests so I was boosted 2nd week of January, all of my shots have been Moderna.

I had a pretty intense 12-18 hours after then 2nd shot, and the 3rd one kicked my ass for a full 24.  I even had the covid armpit swelling in the lymph node which I hadn't had 1st or 2nd go around.  So I'm not sure if they just mixed my sample up with someone else or what the fuck is going on with the numbers.

On 3/1/2022 at 4:49 PM, Sbbruin said:

The dosage for under 12 was 1/3 of that for an adult. That has to be why

The approval was based on AB levels as a proxy for protection against infection. Maybe that suggests that we don't really understand all the correlates of protection.

I think dose is an issue, but also the timing of dose 1 to dose 2.  For both of my kids under 11 we extended the interval between doses.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

The approval was based on AB levels as a proxy for protection against infection. Maybe that suggests that we don't really understand all the correlates of protection.

I think dose is an issue, but also the timing of dose 1 to dose 2.  For both of my kids under 11 we extended the interval between doses.

Makes me wonder if Pfizer had early word of this data. It would make it even more clear that pushing for FDA approval for 6mos-5 was a bad idea no matter what the government wanted. 

• Fuck You 2

22 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Makes me wonder if Pfizer had early word of this data. It would make it even more clear that pushing for FDA approval for 6mos-5 was a bad idea no matter what the government wanted. 

I dont think that PFE had early word.  This is RWE, from large data set, during omicron. No need to read more into it other than it is disappointing, and we have probably not optimized neither dose nor regimen. 

On 2/27/2022 at 9:14 PM, achooloco said:

Wondering that as well. Omicron is supposed to be mild but what I had wasn't mild. I had a brutal sore throat (could have been strep for all I know) and and swollen neck/lymph nodes. 

33 minutes ago, Caponata said:

Wondering that as well. Omicron is supposed to be mild but what I had wasn't mild. I had a brutal sore throat (could have been strep for all I know) and and swollen neck/lymph nodes. 

The data really doesn't show Omicron being any milder than other variants. The mildness came from the fact that it reinfected those that had been previously exposed or had been vaccinated. But if you didn't have either, Omicron hit about the same as Delta. 

10 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

The data really doesn't show Omicron being any milder than other variants. The mildness came from the fact that it reinfected those that had been previously exposed or had been vaccinated. But if you didn't have either, Omicron hit about the same as Delta. 

Vaccinated (JJ) & unknowingly had antibodies from an asymptomatic infection. Shits weird yo. *I'm guessing to that protection waned over time.

Edited by Caponata

If they had a shred of integrity, every administrator at the CDC would resign in disgrace.  Fucking liars and with the facts, they're as loose as South Austin's mom.

And Joe Rogan is the one who's spreading misinformation... 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, Cement said:

If they had a shred of integrity, every administrator at the CDC would resign in disgrace.  Fucking liars and with the facts, they're as loose as South Austin's mom.

Are you trying to argue that vaccines haven’t saved millions of lives?

edit just saw you’re linking a fucking psychiatrist 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Cement said:

Yes joe Rogan is spreading around misinformation. And I guess now you are too. 

So, Omicron's over, right?

Daily case rate (45K) and number of hospitalized patients (32K) are down to late July 2021 levels, after peaking at 809K/day and 146K hospitalized just 6 weeks ago.

Deaths, as a lagging metric, are still high, but starting to drop precipitously, sitting at 1300/day, down from 2600/day.

I welcome the waning of Omicron and a return to normalcy. I so badly want to get back to regular life. 

My wife has a (so far) mild autoimmune disease. Please understand if I (and people like me) continue to mask in public spaces, as I really don’t want to bring Covid home, even if the risk is low and manageable. 

Recognizing that a bad flu season is 60k US deaths, meaning 300 deaths per day in the middle of it, and note that 1,300 Covid deaths per day as Omicron runs out is still pretty hairy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, statsman said:

My wife has a (so far) mild autoimmune disease. Please understand if I (and people like me) continue to mask in public spaces, as I really don’t want to bring Covid home, even if the risk is low and manageable.

I have no qualms if somebody still chooses to a mask.  Only an asshole would. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2