COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  To the first group, I've had a "well, what the hell are you waiting for?  We are never eradicating this disease, so what's your benchmark for re-joining earth, exactly?"  And as for the anti-vax, anti-mask.....there's never been any talking sense with them, so they're beyond hope now.

You know I've been a skeptic of a lot of the COVID shit the entire time.  

-Bullshit masks don't do shit, and are moreso a show of solidarity rather than doing anything whatsoever to help with the situation.

-The virus gonna virus, and even with lockdowns, it's eventually going to do its thing (see China, NZ, AUS) Covid Zero was a fucking pipedream, a psychological and economical nuclear detonation of a pipe dream.

-The Virus was always going to go endemic.   Too many motherfuckers got it because it was going to spread extraordinarily quick in our modern world. 

-I got both doses of vaccine, because I have young children and one of them already had a helluva time getting started on this rock.  I felt it a parental duty for ME to be alive, regardless of my already having had the damn virus.

-It made me laugh and cry at the Anti-Vaxxers, and the Power Vaxxers, and the Worshippers, and the deniers.  What a fucked up world when people's hero is a do nothing President and a do nothing Politico-Scientist in charge of a disease control center who changed their tune every 20 minutes.  

This whole thing was so fucking stupid, and sad, and irritating.  I only typed this out because I'm not a virus homer or a virus denier.  I did my part.  Wore my mask when I was supposed to.  Got vaxxed even if I didn't really want to.  Didn't believe 40% of the bullshit coming out of "We'll defeat the virus, either version" or "Not believing me is not believing science"  (That's not how science works).  

Fucking horrible.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I think the 4th booster idea is more of a "yes, an incremental boosting of antibodies provides some benefit so, sure, why not?"  But I agree -- it's not a real compelling argument.  The wife and I are "eligible," but we are almost certainly waiting on a more specific booster, hopefully in the fall.

My dad is 84, though......may suggest he get the 4th shot just because of his high risk, and an incremental benefit is good enough.

I'm holding off on a second booster until the next time we look to have a bad spike building up, if there is one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Selectively berating people is disingenuous horseshit as well.   I’d say you duck dicks for breakfast because you’re a Sooner, but that’s more of an affirmation.   I wouldn’t berate you for it though.  

1 hour ago, Serak The Preparer said:

What a crock of shit. We selectively berate people all the time. Sometimes it's warranted and sometimes it's not. A theatre berating someone for bringing a box of junior mints is an asshole. The same theatre berating someone for bringing in a full meal is not an asshole. Someone wearing a mask when it is not required has absolutely zero impact on anyone else. Someone not wearing a mask when it is required does have an impact on other people.

I've not berated anyone for wearing a mask or not wearing a mask at any point. But considering consequences when deciding on the reaction level isn't "fluid ethics" as was stated, and it was in fact disingenous horseshit. If someone is going 15mph over the speed limit in my residential neighborhood where kids are playing, I might in fact get their attention to slow the fuck down, and then actually drive 15mph over the speed limit on a wide-open interstate in good conditions. That's not hypocritical or "fluid ethics", that is just considering all circumstances in evaluating behavior.

Just like Serak correctly points out, if I wear a mask around you it literally harms you not an iota. People not wearing masks around others do negatively impact others, as masks do in fact reduce the spread, even if not as much as would be hoped for. But even a 0.5% reduction does add up when you're dealing with large numbers. If I'm an immunocompromised cashier who processes 4,000 people a week, yes if all of those people wear masks it will make a not insignificant impact on my risk level, especially over even longer periods of time.

• Hook 'Em 3

The boy came down with it about a month ago.  He'd been down in Italy, being social, he's pretty sure he brought it back with him.  Felt crappy for a couple of days, meh for a couple more, then fine.  Took a few more days to test negative.

And now, the girl just had a positive test.  She has a slight sore throat, AND one of her roommates was sick last week.  The roommate realized she felt bad and took a test in the middle of the night, then isolated in her room....but by then, she'd surely been contagious and was in close proximity.  So, now she's got it.  We'll see how it goes.  Both her and the boy are vaxxed and boosted, so hopefully not too bad.

At this point, it's like dodgeball -- everyone gets hit sooner or later.  Being vaxxed is really effective at making it relatively mild (and as it's all Omicron variant these days as well, that helps too), hope that plays out with the girl.  Sigh.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deej said:

I'm holding off on a second booster until the next time we look to have a bad spike building up, if there is one. 

Yeah, I'm torn on this...only good news is my last TexCares deal plus getting Covid, I should be fine for awhile.  one thing I know for sure is the way my youngest brings home something from preschool every other week and the way my almost 7yo licks her own runny snot...I'm getting the flu shot regardless in october/early November each year.  I don't wanna necessarily wait until there's a spike of new variant in Texas, by then it might be too late.  So I'd rather just systematically get it each year, and don't want to get it too close to flu shot given how those things knock me on my ass.  Then again, I don't know if my antibodies will make it another 11 months until I can get the "new booster."  Obviously I'll err on the side of proper science from experts.  

Daughter's second roommate just tested positive too.

Summary -- three girls in the apartment.  Girl 1 tested positive 8 days ago or so, immediately went into isolation in her room till she tested negative a few days ago, but still, she had to leave her room from time to time.

Her two roommates both get sick today.  Yet we've known other people in the same household as a sick person who never got sick.  There's no telling.

All of them are double vaxxed and boosted.  Seemed to help with the course of illness with the first one.  We'll see how the other two fare.

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Daughter's second roommate just tested positive too.

Summary -- three girls in the apartment.  Girl 1 tested positive 8 days ago or so, immediately went into isolation in her room till she tested negative a few days ago, but still, she had to leave her room from time to time.

Her two roommates both get sick today.  Yet we've known other people in the same household as a sick person who never got sick.  There's no telling.

All of them are double vaxxed and boosted.  Seemed to help with the course of illness with the first one.  We'll see how the other two fare.

I saw the same with family and friends in the early waves.  Living closely and not spreading it when you'd expect to.  And then the opposite with Omicron.  It really does appear to be just that much more transmissible.  But on the bright side, it also appears to be that much milder, and especially when already vaxxed.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

Nearly all omicron cases are relatively mild, so claiming the vaccine helps with this is just another way to justify your decision to get vaccinated after you realized the government has been lying to you and moving the goalposts this whole time.  My .02 as an omicron survivor who wouldn’t even had known I had it if I wouldn’t have tested positive after a trip to CO where everyone I was with caught it.  Neg bomb away….

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 11

2 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

Nearly all omicron cases are relatively mild, so claiming the vaccine helps with this is just another way to justify your decision to get vaccinated after you realized the government has been lying to you and moving the goalposts this whole time.  My .02 as an omicron survivor who wouldn’t even had known I had it if I wouldn’t have tested positive after a trip to CO where everyone I was with caught it.  Neg bomb away….

Except, you know, during the Omicron wave......over 2,000 people a day were dying from it.

Last I checked, "death" is not a typical outcome of a mild illness.  

And the vast majority of those deaths were unvaccinated.

So, you know.....really stupid fucking post.  On literally every point.  Pretty solid accomplishment.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

You should acquaint yourself with the three early warning signs of death:

1.  Rigor Mortis

2.  A rotting smell

3.  Occasional drowsiness

Although death continues to be our nation's #1 killer, we can still try to prevent Covid's next spike.  To help, please contribute to the United Appeal for the Dead.

12 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

You may get negged, but mostly posters will quote you and tell you you’re an idiot.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

You're an idiot

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I think the 4th booster idea is more of a "yes, an incremental boosting of antibodies provides some benefit so, sure, why not?"  But I agree -- it's not a real compelling argument.  The wife and I are "eligible," but we are almost certainly waiting on a more specific booster, hopefully in the fall.

My dad is 84, though......may suggest he get the 4th shot just because of his high risk, and an incremental benefit is good enough.

As you know I'm eligible too.  However, with >2500 spike protein over 6 months post booster, plus natural antibodies from Omicron, I'm not going to race down to my local Tom Thumb just yet to get another shot.

24 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

You're an idiot.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

As you know I'm eligible too.  However, with >2500 spike protein over 6 months post booster, plus natural antibodies from Omicron, I'm not going to race down to my local Tom Thumb just yet to get another shot.

You know you have to show your discount card to get the booster at Tom Thumb?

35 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

You're an idiot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Omicron has to fight through a partially vaccinated population and still manages to kill at the relative pace of other variants-  but somehow most cases are mild. 

numbers in Austin metro are as low as they’ve been since month one of the virus back in March of 2020. 
to me, that’s not the time to get another booster. Wife just read a study from Israel saying 2nd booster wanes at 4 weeks and is gone around 8 weeks. Seems like something to do at the front end of a spike, if at all. 

13 hours ago, Cody2422 said:

You’re a sheep and a loser if you got the polio vaccine.

• Haha 1

friend's city in china just closed all bars. 

worst part is he has to put on pants and shoes to go meet the delivery drivers because they can't come up in his building anymore:

This is like Cultural Revolution 2.0. 

(I haven't been able to make that joke on WeChat)

Edited by elfenix

20 hours ago, elfenix said:

friend's city in china just closed all bars. 

worst part is he has to put on pants and shoes to go meet the delivery drivers because they can't come up in his building anymore:

China seems kind of fucked.   They have had a zero COVID policy entire time so very little natural immunity.  Their Vaccine seems like it sucks.    And now they are still trying to pursue a zero Covid policy in the face of Omicron which is way more contagious.  Of course, if they just let it rip, it would presumably completely overrun their healthcare system given the lack of natural or effective vax immunity.   Anyone follow China more closely to have any idea what their game plan is?   Normally I would say Fuck China but seems like not a great time to exacerbate supply chain issues given current state of inflation + european war.

50 minutes ago, Skipper said:

China seems kind of fucked.   They have had a zero COVID policy entire time so very little natural immunity.  Their Vaccine seems like it sucks.    And now they are still trying to pursue a zero Covid policy in the face of Omicron which is way more contagious.  Of course, if they just let it rip, it would presumably completely overrun their healthcare system given the lack of natural or effective vax immunity.   Anyone follow China more closely to have any idea what their game plan is?   Normally I would say Fuck China but seems like not a great time to exacerbate supply chain issues given current state of inflation + european war.

I read an interview with a Chinese foreign correspondent who seemed to know his stuff and this Zero-COVID policy is stiffling them. China put out a very aggressive goal of growing GDP by 5.5% and with mandatory lockdowns (the People's Army is being deployed to keep peace and maintain lockdowns in Shanghai where people are restless and food is getting scarce due to grocery stores and delivery being zapped) that growth won't happen.

But also, and not to get too into China policy which is probably a different thread, Xi is up for renewal (I don't daresay re-election) this year and it's the 100th Communist Party anniversary this year I believe, so they don't want cities and people ravaged with disease so they are trying to maintain Zero-COVID lockdowns. Omicron and BA-2 and other Om variants will have a say otherwise, I think.

Those of us who refused to believe the party line all along and exercised skepticism have been proven right:
  • Viral interference
  • Natural immunity
  • Lockdown harms
  • Seasonality
  • Overcounting deaths and cases
  • Uselessness of masks
  • Lab leak censorship
I just laugh when I still see dipshits wearing masks or say "stay safe" or "OMG my sister tested positive."  
Get over yourselves.  Covid's over and has been over for a year.
But maybe you coronabros can move to Shanghai where you will feel much safer.  And make no mistake - America would have been what China is now if those of us hadn't fought back.
I'm sure most of the CR is masturbating furiously to this tweet:

giphy.gif
  • Haha 2

"if those of us hadn't fought back."  

Yes, harassing Mr. T for still masking and deciding to eat your to-go order from Chili's at the bar.  You are so goddamn brave.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

"if those of us hadn't fought back."  

Yes, harassing Mr. T for still masking and deciding to eat your to-go order from Chili's at the bar.  You are so goddamn brave.

He was a member of the Baby Back Ribs Brigade.

Seriously, the sacrifices some of those folks made in defense of liberty will be talked about for ages...or at least until we get our Molten Chocolate Cake dessert.  

If one of you badass warriors could just give, however anecdotal, some semblance of how you fought back against Covid-19 based tyranny and oppression (particularly in that first year)...I am more than happy to listen.  In fact, I'd like to organize some sort of recognition medal for you or something.  Internet bitching and yelling at people about mask mandates at OfficeMax is super impressive, but I'm guessing you really took the fight to the man!  Just tell us how, that we may rise and salute your patriotic valor.  I'm honestly asking, how did you fight for freedom during Covid (particularly in 20202), use examples and facts where appropriate.  Thank you for your service! 

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

And make no mistake - America would have been what China is now if those of us hadn't fought back.

Make no mistake- if some of us hadn’t spoken up and masked where appropriate, everyone in the world would be dead right now. 

I can do the ridiculous hypothetical statement of fact as well!

Cases are down, and that’s great. We’re still averaging about 3k deaths per week, which is significantly lower than before, but would still represent a horrific flu season of flu deaths in March/April occurred at that rate. 

For brisket’s question about boosters- I don’t know that a healthy person needs a fourth dose, but an unhealthy one? Or an elderly (not just late middle age) one? Not a bad idea. (And obesity is unhealthy). I mean- they’re the ones still getting it bad. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cement said:

Those of us who refused to believe the party line all along and exercised skepticism have been proven right:

•  
Spoiler
  • Viral interference
  • Natural immunity
  • Lockdown harms
  • Seasonality
  • Uselessness of masks
  • Lab leak censorship

I just laugh when I still see dipshits wearing masks or say "stay safe" or "OMG my sister tested positive."  

But maybe you coronabros can move to Shanghai where you will feel much safer.  And make no mistake - America would have been what China is now if those of us hadn't fought back.

why-are-you-being-like-a-so-dramatic-ann

9 hours ago, Cement said:

• Viral interference
  • Natural immunity
  • Lockdown harms
  • Seasonality
  • Uselessness of masks
  • Lab leak censorship

image.png.c46924acf75b05846671d1fdc510578a.png

We have a real, in the flesh hero who selflessly sacrificed for your liberty — my liberty — OUR liberty — and all you cynics can do is laugh and make jokes. Shame on all of you. To the brave and honorable heroes posting here, they surely laughed the same way when George Washington invented liberty and America.

People that I imagine to have appalling opinions probably masturbate weirdly! I can’t stop thinking about their strange masturbation!